As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TERA] Game coming to an End in June

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    If you see me on Steam and I'm not actually in another game, just send me a message and I'll most likely be able to jump into Tera.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I found three Aurora Scarabs and the game's telling me they go for almost 11 gold each in brokered sales. These seem like something that might be useful later, but having some gold would be handy. Should I sell them or keep them?

edit: I also found six of this blue one it says sells at brokerage for 41 gold each, but I don't have the 12 gold for earnest money. :rotate:

MKR on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    MKR wrote: »
    I found three Aurora Scarabs and the game's telling me they go for almost 11 gold each in brokered sales. These seem like something that might be useful later, but having some gold would be handy. Should I sell them or keep them?

It's almost always better to sell things when you're lower level, then if you need them later just buy them (you'll be able to earn money more easily at higher levels).

That said, I don't happen to know offhand what an aurora scarab is or what it's used for.

• Options
    edited November 2014

It's almost always better to sell things when you're lower level, then if you need them later just buy them (you'll be able to earn money more easily at higher levels).

That said, I don't happen to know offhand what an aurora scarab is or what it's used for.

Sounds like a plan. I have enough gold to list this, so I went ahead and did it. I'll use the money from the sale to list the one that's 41 each. Then I'll build my own moon dome with blackjack and hookers with the ~300 gold I get.

MKR on
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Scarabs are used in etching, which is for your really, really high-level armor. As in stuff our TTT crew won't get for a really, really long time. So it's better to broker the things and sell them to clear some cash.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    ironsizideironsizide You must whip it Registered User regular
    So all of those BAMs I couldn't beat when I was in my 30s (damn basilisks, et al)? I spent the last two days thrashing them all once I hit 40. Good feeling.

|_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Okay, I give up. Someone explain this to me:
    47B963FA6A7C9EEF2092B1703EE5462E224BBAC2

Why are people selling gems through the trade broker... and more importantly, why are they selling them for less than what they could sell to any generic merchant?

This has bugged me for a long time.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular

Why are people selling gems through the trade broker... and more importantly, why are they selling them for less than what they could sell to any generic merchant?

It's very simple. People undercut auctions in MMO's. Sometimes to the point of absurdity.

People also can't compare one number to another.

It's elementary.

You have a choice. Ignore their stupidity (perhaps laugh and shake your head) and move on. Or. Profit from their mistake by buying the items and vendoring them yourself.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular

Some people are teh dumb.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    And here I thought maybe there was some mysterious reason I just couldn't fathom.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    All that stuff sold, so now I have 270+ gold. I could buy those and flip them. But I don't want to.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I made it to Aron's Camp, level 15 so far. I forget the quest but I think it's destroy three crystal thingies. (That's a technical term, right?) How much further until I'm caught up with you group one-ers?

• Options
    Jazz wrote: »
    I made it to Aron's Camp, level 15 so far. I forget the quest but I think it's destroy three crystal thingies. (That's a technical term, right?) How much further until I'm caught up with you group one-ers?

Whatever you do, don't try to get the loot. Go for the crystal right after killing the mob.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

That's the last set of quests in that area. Then you need to clear out the first couple quest sets in the next. We made pretty good progress :D.

Coming soon though? RNG quest (which we will absolutely not be focusing on, because fuck that drop rate, and it's anything in the area).

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

That's the last set of quests in that area. Then you need to clear out the first couple quest sets in the next. We made pretty good progress :D.

Coming soon though? RNG quest (which we will absolutely not be focusing on, because fuck that drop rate, and it's anything in the area).

RNG? Are we talking about the quests for our uberweapons?

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Kalnaur wrote: »

RNG? Are we talking about the quests for our uberweapons?

Yeah, I'm referring to that one. I've been running a mystic solo roughly along with the TTT progress... I finished that area today with only 4/10 shards... and I picked up the quest much sooner than we did.

We may make better progress on account of being a steamrolling ball of death instead of one slow-killing (but nigh-immortal to normal crap) person.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Avatar weapon shard drops are not pure RNG. It's based on your level, and the level of the mobs you're fighting to a lesser degree. Generally speaking, if you're fighting level appropriate stuff you will complete each avatar weapon somewhere during the level where you can first equip it, or one level past. Very rarely you will have a run of shit luck and not complete it until you're two levels beyond the level minimum but that's really rare. It's also extremely rare but possible to complete it when you're one level shy of being able to equip it.

The short version is to ignore it and let it complete on its own (it will). The only time to worry would be if you're catching up on older quests and find yourself in a zone whose mobs cannot drop the shards for your weapon, which is possible if you're being a quest completionist.

Even the later weapons where you need like 50 shards get completed at +1 the minimum level. Don't let the numbers discourage you.

-edit-

Forgot to mention, if you do manage to get +2 levels past an avatar weapon you get hilarious stuff like 6 shards dropping from the first mob you kill after you ding +2. It's clearly a weighted system, not pure RNG. When your weapon completion is very tardy the game tries like hell to complete it for you, and if you're hoping to complete it early or right on time the game will taunt you mercilessly.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Of course, those weapons will absolutely wreck stuff if you enhance them all the way up, too. The shenanigans I was pulling on my archer with those weapons...

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    The shards also seem to have a higher affinity to drop when you've not played for a while. I swear the first few mobs I kill in a day net me shards, then it slows to a trickle.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    My sorcerer just got Glacial Retreat and it's my new favorite thing.

edit: This new power has made me careless. I accidentally aggroed half of Deva Silva with all my hopping around. I died, but I did get practice fighting lots of things at once with my paper dragon. Most of them were near death when one of the big guys cut me down. The whole skill actually matters thing makes me like this game a lot. I never feel like I got my butt kicked because of a limitation in the game, unlike every other MMORPG ever

MKR on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

Whatever you do, don't try to get the loot. Go for the crystal right after killing the mob.

Did exactly that and it wasn't too much hassle. The two that were nearest each other resulting in two mobs coming after me at once was... interesting. Just about scraped through. Glad I stocked up on bandages in Lumbertown...

@Kalnaur is a scholar and a gentleman, and helped me get caught up so I'm almost ready for TTT this week. Just got to mooch around Crescentia a bit, resupply and skill up, and acquire the relevant sidequests and we should be almost good. I'm a little underlevelled at present (15, but three-quarters of the way to 16) but should be more or less ready to go come Tuesday.

• Options
    Hmm, you should have basically everything up to Crescentia done, including all but one thing in the graveyard (that you get from the outpost past it) - all your current quests should be from the outpost. That said, it shouldn't take long to knock off anything you missed. Plus, you want to ding 16 so you can pick up the artifact quest (You get it automatically, then go talk to the person in Crescentia).

• Options
    I got a bit sidetracked admiring Valley of Titans, but I:
    • Got to 20
    • Figure out I was throwing lots of money away by not figuring out extraction
    • Figured out crystals
    • Found some more rare stuff (~90g each)

I like how the game is designed to be played in 1-2 hour increments. It's easy to start and generally know you'll have made some real progress an hour later.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Is it better to extract and sell the mats than it is to just sell/vendor the gear?

• Options
    Glal wrote: »
    Is it better to extract and sell the mats than it is to just sell/vendor the gear?

That depends on whether or not people actually buy the materials you get from it. I tried selling the gear and no one bought it. I haven't tried selling the ingots I got from extracted gear.

• Options
    Most stuff I have found gets better prices if you just sell the gear unless you're lucky with your extracting. Even low-level crappy generic gear will typically get 75silver to 1gold because people buy it for enchanting fodder.

Also, super easy money: extra character slots. Damn. Bought 4 of them yesterday for $20 total from cash shop and sold them for 7k each almost as soon as posting them. 14:1 ratio for no effort, works for me. :D

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options

The answer to this is a categorical no.

• Options
    edited November 2014

I did stop trying to sell them before level 10. I'll try selling the 15+ stuff that keeps dropping.

MKR on
  • Options

I did stop trying to sell them before level 10. I'll try selling the 15+ stuff that keeps dropping.

Oh right, really low level stuff you can vendor or break down as you please.

Gear doesn't become relevant as enchantment fodder until, I believe it's tier 3 gear. Whichever the tier of gear that drops from BoL is, as that is the first armor sets that people start enchanting.

But from that point on any white/green/blue armor will auction for above vendor value as enchantment fodder. Weapons typically will not, because of the fodder weapon fragments that drop weapon fodder is much less needed and much more likely to auction for at or near vendor cost.

I auction boots/gloves/chests and vendor weapons up until max level, at which point weapon fodder becomes needed again and is worth auctioning.

• Options
    There's a stretch of road in the Freeholds where you can pretty much gather nonstop without interruption. It's either on the northern half of that loop or on the road that runs alongside the fields. I was too busy scooping up 500 gold worth of stuff to pay attention to the location. The only catch is you have to get there. I dodged a lot of very dangerous things running there on my 21 sorcerer.

• Options
    There's a stretch of road in the Freeholds where you can pretty much gather nonstop without interruption. It's either on the northern half of that loop or on the road that runs alongside the fields. I was too busy scooping up 500 gold worth of stuff to pay attention to the location. The only catch is you have to get there. I dodged a lot of very dangerous things running there on my 21 sorcerer.

I always use that spot to level gathering, it's very nice!

• Options
    I killed this thing (Indolent Kumas) solo and didn't get quest credit for it. Somehow I was locked on a different thing the whole time. Could that be the cause?

MDDh0JR.jpg

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Well, looks like I'm going to be out of the running for tommorow as well, because Tera decided I'm not worthy of playing it. Went to start it up, the launcher kept resetting itself, and when I looked for the answer, and did the solution, the game basically started trying to redownload the ENTIRE FUCKING GAME

If this is going to be a common thing, then I'm out.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    heenato wrote: »
    Well, looks like I'm going to be out of the running for tommorow as well, because Tera decided I'm not worthy of playing it. Went to start it up, the launcher kept resetting itself, and when I looked for the answer, and did the solution, the game basically started trying to redownload the ENTIRE FUCKING GAME

Huh. Having that problem on my laptop actually, was going to reinstall at some point.

Fortunately I'm not doing TTT on my laptop... what was the solution you came across?

• Options

Huh. Having that problem on my laptop actually, was going to reinstall at some point.

Fortunately I'm not doing TTT on my laptop... what was the solution you came across?
    Deleting the 4 .version extendsion files in the game and letting the game redownload those. But APARENTLY that makes hte game decide "Oh. THERE'S NO GAME HERE. I SHOULD FUCKING PUT A GAME HERE"

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Okay yeah. Looks like the only one that needs to get deleted is EN. version or one like that. Well, hopefully that's all.

Edit: Nope. Literally only solution left is full reinstallation.

Edit 2: Okay...I fixed it...I have no idea how, since I uninstalled, reinstalled and it only had a few minutes download and then it was fine. I don't even know.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Okay yeah. Looks like the only one that needs to get deleted is EN. version or one like that. Well, hopefully that's all.

Edit 2: Okay...I fixed it...I have no idea how, since I uninstalled, reinstalled and it only had a few minutes download and then it was fine. I don't even know.

. . . You have a possessed computer, right?

• Options
    Kalnaur wrote: »

. . . You have a possessed computer, right?
    Yup. That's a well known fact about me.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Today is Dragon Age: Inquisition release day.

This is problematic.

Who's bright idea was it to have Tera game night be Tuesdays? :razz:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~