As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TERA] Game coming to an End in June

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Then I ended up rolling a Zerker to duo with a friend (who was playing Priest). His complaint throughout everything was "It's like you don't even need me!"
    Yeah, if Zerkers could hold aggro worth crap they could entirely replace Lancers.
    I want to like Lancers, but find their mechanics frustrating. Not being able to block indefinitely is really annoying when things go South and you can't afford to poke at the boss to regain your stamina (or whatever they call it).
    And, as whinged before, them falling over the moment a non-boss minion lands a hit is just... ugh.

• Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Just roll Warrior, the best class. Be Sanic with blades!
    Like this! Bastion of Lok solo'd earlier!

?.jpg

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    When I solo'd Bastion with my Lancer, my health bar was still full at the end. Yours looks troubled.

Conclusion: Lancer > Warrior.

:razz:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    When I solo'd Bastion with my Lancer, my health bar was still full at the end. Yours looks troubled.

Unimpeachable logic. Good show.
    Beezel wrote: »
    Side dodges on sorcs and priests had to be skilled slightly. Higher level play involved snapping your camera to three or nine o'clock and hitting the backdash skill

And archers.

The only classes that have a directional dodge are warriors and slayers. Everyone else has backsteps, except for zerkers and mystics who don't have a dodge skill (mystics do have a teleport).

Lancers do not have a backstep. They have a Tactical Re-position. :razz:

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    When I solo'd Bastion with my Lancer, my health bar was still full at the end. Yours looks troubled
    How do you effectively solo groups of mooks with a Lancer? They seem to enjoy surrounding you, knocking you on your ass, then just chain-stunning you to death. And most Lancer attacks are "right in front or GTFO" so it's hard to keep them controlled with your own attacks to stop them from doing so.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    I am terrible at skill names but there are a few that attack in an arc. I just run around, gather up a pile of wimpy enemies, turn toward them, backstep until they are all attacking from generally the front, block.... wait for a few to hit, and hit with the shield counterattack (that hits multiples of them). Then there's another shield attack that hits a bunch of them. Or if I can keep backing up fast enough (with +combat move speed crystals slotted) I can keep them coming at me in a nice straight line suited for lancing through them all at once.

I mean, I don't have some magical strategy. I just block and stab. So far, it's carried me through the game solo just fine - but I'm only level 32 right now. So it could get harder later.

Also, I always run with a +9 version of whatever the current-for-my-level avatar weapon is (because they are dirt cheap to enchant). So that gives me stupid amounts of damage and blocking.

(Edit: forgot to mention, if I do get knocked down... the retaliate skill generally takes care of it)

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    edited October 2014

I went in at level 22 :p

Also I didn't clear out a room which is apparently bad, I hit the boss and all the mooks from 3 rooms away aggro'd onto me and wouldn't stop chasing me so I had to de-aggro the boss and run off with a monster train behind me it was the scariest part for sure, turn around and the boss room's getting flooded with mobs.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    ironsizideironsizide You must whip it Registered User regular
    Man does the warrior open up at 28 when you get Blade Draw. I totally get the chaining the first guide in the OP is talking about now. When you connect just right it's like getting two attack for free in the same span of time!

Bastion of Lok down (props on gettin it done at 22-24 @SkutSkut‌!).

I got mah cowpoke hat too:
    steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=334775615

|_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I am terrible at skill names but there are a few that attack in an arc. I just run around, gather up a pile of wimpy enemies, turn toward them, backstep until they are all attacking from generally the front, block.... wait for a few to hit, and hit with the shield counterattack (that hits multiples of them). Then there's another shield attack that hits a bunch of them. Or if I can keep backing up fast enough (with +combat move speed crystals slotted) I can keep them coming at me in a nice straight line suited for lancing through them all at once.

I mean, I don't have some magical strategy. I just block and stab. So far, it's carried me through the game solo just fine - but I'm only level 32 right now. So it could get harder later.

Also, I always run with a +9 version of whatever the current-for-my-level avatar weapon is (because they are dirt cheap to enchant). So that gives me stupid amounts of damage and blocking.

(Edit: forgot to mention, if I do get knocked down... the retaliate skill generally takes care of it)

It never really gets much harder. Lancers are one of the better solo classes. Yeah, they do take more damage from normal mobs, but not so much that you can't solo your quests, and Lancers have an easier time soloing BAMs than most classes, and the only classes that can compare in terms of personal safety (priests and mystics really) come nowhere near vaguely close in terms of efficiency. Sure, I can solo just about any BAM on a healer class without dying, but it takes forever. Lancers do not take forever, they aren't exceedingly fast, but they aren't annoyingly slow.

-edit-

Forgot to add, if you think lancers get knocked down too much, do not roll and Archer. Just... don't. Archer is really good, and usually fun to play, but everything knocks them down. Everything. You have to kite everything and approach every fight like it's a boss fight unless you enjoy getting ping-ponged around and taking forever to kill things that should have been easy. It was a pretty massive adjustment for me after playing Slayer.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    It's possible to solo most anything as an Archer if you keep an eye on its movements. I was bringing down basilisks in my early 20s- it's really just knowing their movements and reacting fast enough to get out of the blasted way. About the only thing you are missing on an archer is a reliable means of crowd control...

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    It's possible to solo most anything as an Archer if you keep an eye on its movements. I was bringing down basilisks in my early 20s- it's really just knowing their movements and reacting fast enough to get out of the blasted way. About the only thing you are missing on an archer is a reliable means of crowd control...

Archers are great at soloing stuff.

What I was saying though is that with an archer everything needs to be done consciously. Archers have a tough time just facrolling normal quest mobs. They tend to get interrupted and knocked down a lot and normal mobs become much harder than they should be.

After a while when grinding your way to 60 having to actually pay attention and actually use tactics for every single normal fight becomes rather tiresome. And as soon as you get tired and try to faceroll something you end up taking a lot more damage than you should have, and the fight takes a lot longer, because Archers do not fare well when things get into melee with them.

Contrast with a Zerker or Slayer where you can faceroll quest mobs and don't really need to exercise caution unless you're fighting a boss or or forming a massive train or otherwise doing something unusual.

• Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    grouch993 wrote: »
    Ianator wrote: »
    Slayer isn't quite as satisfying as Berzerker; all my specials have a windup time and don't go off until the enemy's already dead. Still pretty fun but it really makes me wish we had Monster Hunter Frontier or something.
    The trick with Slayers is to correctly use their "if you use X then Y will come out almost instantly" links and abilities. If you've not unlocked them yet just wait a bit, like many classes Slayers don't really get most of their class kit until level 20 or so.
    Do slayers still have the 1, 2, 58 leveling scheme? Or was that just a short time after they were introduced?
    No idea, my highest level even after all this time is like 43!

Bah, I meant reapers and wrote slayer. Pardon me. Getting old and have a memory like one of those big things.

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Options
    There is no early game for Reapers, there never will be.

Also no one is allowed to transmute armor anymore because doing Reaper armor for all the armor pieces in game would have been work.

In other words: fuck reapers and elin

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    My Castanic is channeling her inner mountain goat, apparently.

cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/30724340029760379/BE1B2025DBA3451AFAED6E3E7A8E197757E0ECD6/

You're learning well, young one.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Forgot to add, if you think lancers get knocked down too much, do not roll and Archer. Just... don't. Archer is really good, and usually fun to play, but everything knocks them down. Everything. You have to kite everything and approach every fight like it's a boss fight unless you enjoy getting ping-ponged around and taking forever to kill things that should have been easy. It was a pretty massive adjustment for me after playing Slayer.

So much this. My poor archer spends way too much time on her back. And not in the fun way.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options

So much this. My poor archer spends way too much time on her back. And not in the fun way.

It's unfortunate, because Archer is actually an exceedingly good class, in both team and solo play, and they can be very fun.

But because Tera rates them as a 2-star difficulty class, and the class has an overall reputation of being "easy" a lot of Archers struggle (at mid-higher levels, I don't think anyone struggles overly much with the earlier parts of the game these days). When I'm doing BAM quests or grinding BAMs, the #1 class I see struggling, dying, and then asking me for help is Archer.

Archers are very capable of soloing BAMs, but you need to plan every fight, you need to use all your skills, especially traps. If you try to just burn them down while kiting with your dodges and your one melee stun you'll die, particularly against BAMs after the level 48 difficulty jump, and this is what I see when I see struggling Archers. If you use all your abilities it ends up being safer with an Archer than with Slayer or Warrior (but not Lancer, Lancers are very safe BAM soloers) but Slayers and Warriors don't have to manage as many different don't-die buttons, once you get the timing and the tells down you're really just worrying about your dodge and your stun for Slayers, and your dodge and your DFA with Warriors.

With Archer you are worrying about rotating your backstep, your melee stun combo, your stun trap, and your slow trap - each with longer cooldowns than what a Warrior or Slayer is dealing with, but if you are actually making use of all of them you have a greater safety zone.

The problem is if you're only using two of them you are unsafe, pretty much period, and you're probably going to die.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Grrr...just had to send in my first support ticket for a glitched quest on Island of Dawn. Got the quest rewards but no one will give me the new quest that takes me down to Bibi and the Tainted Gorge.

Still having loads of fun though!

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    You have to be a minimum level to continue quests, it's kind of annoying being able to fight he mobs but nope you're 2 levels too low go grind mobs.

• Options
    You have to be a minimum level to continue quests, it's kind of annoying being able to fight he mobs but nope you're 2 levels too low go grind mobs.

You're right!

It was weird because I've been going through the same quests for the last couple of days and had no problem, but today when I'm partying with a friend it didn't trigger.

The more you know.gif!

Thanks!

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »

You're right!

It was weird because I've been going through the same quests for the last couple of days and had no problem, but today when I'm partying with a friend it didn't trigger.

The more you know.gif!

Thanks!

The bigger your party the more grinding you need to do to make up for less xp per mob.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Speaking of reduced xp, I need people to hit me up before TTT so I can offload these XP buff things. Just need one rep per group, and I can meet wherever works for you. I can't store in guild bank, otherwise I would.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    I have a problem. I now have four characters at the lvl and location we left off of last Tuesday (Slayer, Berserker, Warrior & Lancer) and an Archer almost there as well.

I'm really enjoying this game.

• Options
    Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    Wang lives again? ! Last time I was on it was pretty much just me.

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    I have a problem. I now have four characters at the lvl and location we left off of last Tuesday (Slayer, Berserker, Warrior & Lancer) and an Archer almost there as well.

You're welcome.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular

You're welcome.

I'm actually excited for it to be Tuesday. Which is not something I often say. :)

So thank you.

PS; is anyone going to be around tonight evening? Getting some grouping in sounds like a fun time. I've got a few characters around lvl 9 and a few more in early 20's. Highest char is a 46 Lancer.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

You're welcome.

I'm actually excited for it to be Tuesday. Which is not something I often say. :)

So thank you.

PS; is anyone going to be around tonight evening? Getting some grouping in sounds like a fun time. I've got a few characters around lvl 9 and a few more in early 20's. Highest char is a 46 Lancer.

I'll probably be playing a bit this evening, but my char's are all in the early 10s.

• Options
    My net's been fucky the past two days so if I'm not on for group two shenanigans tomorrow assume the net's gone out.

• Options
    My net's been fucky the past two days so if I'm not on for group two shenanigans tomorrow assume the net's gone out.

My power AND net have been fucky because DAMMIT WINTER WHY U EARLY so... same thing goes for me for tomorrow!

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    I'm in Western Washington, so we've had rain, rain and rain and a little bit more rain.
    I'll be there for TTT tomorrow barring any craziness, and I have my rig back, so it should run even better than before!

Kalnaur on
    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    ironsizideironsizide You must whip it Registered User regular
    So I hit a total brick wall in advancement with my warrior. He's 31 and up to fightings basilisks in Basilisk Crag (funny that). I'll be looking for some tips cause at the moment I am just getting face rolled by these guys. Even when I think I'd dodged out of the way of some of the attacks I still get slammed for half of m health if not more. I know for a start I definitely need to work on evading the huge belly flop they do. I've managed to kill one of them out of four tries so far.

It could just be as simple as going to the mines or someplace else and not only leveling a bit but also getting the remaining pieces of my third-tier ancestral weapons.

|_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    BAMs will wreck you if you let them, and from my understanding, Warriors need to be top notch, Dark Souls level accomplished at their chosen abilities to have a chance at fighting them.

Good luck! I did note that when I fought them as a sorcerer, it was my dodges that commonly saved my ass; you do not want them hitting you, even once.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Eldritch Academy is a stupid maze with dumb tiny corridors and mobs that take up too much space but I cleared it. Dumped my Warrior in Cutthroat Bay for later.Going to be super overleveled for the mines which are also a stupid maze.

• Options
    Just wait until you're ~43, that dungeon's preceding area is a stupid maze with dumb tiny corridors and mobs that take up too much space that respawn so fast you don't even have time to pick up the crap they just dropped before they're back.

• Options
    Just wait until you're ~43, that dungeon's preceding area is a stupid maze with dumb tiny corridors and mobs that take up too much space that respawn so fast you don't even have time to pick up the crap they just dropped before they're back.

This is why auto-loot pets are so awesome. :biggrin:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular

Those are a thing? Holy shit now I know what I need to spend my EMP on.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    Radiation wrote: »

Just don't ever put one out in a raid group.

People get extremely angry if a loot pet picks up trash (which auto-distributes into the whole raid's inventories).

• Options
    Radiation wrote: »

I forget how much I spent for my dragonette, but best purchase ever. Also, cute as hell. :razz:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    May be a little late tonight

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    This game is weird.

6fxcv372yecd.jpg

Saw a police car right after that but wasn't fast enough with F12.