Options

[Star Wars Rebels] Season 4: May the Fourth Be With Uth

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »
    October.
    That's not gonna work for me. I had October scheduled to get hyped about Ep.7.

What am I gonna do now?
    Watch the show while wearing a robe and surrounded by LEGO Star Wars sets obviously.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    WinklebottomWinklebottom Registered User regular
    I wasn't sure if Ahsoka knew it was Anakin specifically or if she just felt like it was someone she knew. I would think his force signature or whatever would feel similiar, but still very different to how it felt when he was still Anakin.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    October.
    That's not gonna work for me. I had October scheduled to get hyped about Ep.7.

What am I gonna do now?
    Watch the show while wearing a robe and surrounded by LEGO Star Wars sets obviously.
    You know me too well.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    I wasn't sure if Ahsoka knew it was Anakin specifically or if she just felt like it was someone she knew. I would think his force signature or whatever would feel similiar, but still very different to how it felt when he was still Anakin.
    I dunno, she got a little shifty eyed when she was asked who it was. The fact that it's Anakin would be a whole big ole can of worms that neither Kanan nor Ezra should probably not know about. Keep Vader as just some big bad to overcome to them and leave that baggage out of the equation.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    I dunno, she got a little shifty eyed when she was asked who it was. The fact that it's Anakin would be a whole big ole can of worms that neither Kanan nor Ezra should probably not know about. Keep Vader as just some big bad to overcome to them and leave that baggage out of the equation.
    The baggage is what gives the situation depth with Ahsoka in the mix. Without her they'd be no need to delve into it, now she's becoming a new member on the crew it'd be waste to ignore their shared history. And where else are they going to explore it? Though I'd love a movie or two revolving around Ahsoka for this.

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    The baggage is what gives the situation depth with Ahsoka in the mix. Without her they'd be no need to delve into it, now she's becoming a new member on the crew it'd be waste to ignore their shared history. And where else are they going to explore it? Though I'd love a movie or two revolving around Ahsoka for this.
    While I would also be interested in delving into a current Ashoka-Vader relationship, I really do not want Darth Vader to become some seasonal villain that gets his butt kicked every week by our scrappy heroes. That would cheapen Vader, and cheapen Luke's quest in the movies. Kallus seems likely to take on some of the fear and ruthlessness that Vader brought to that episode and carry it forwards.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    While I would also be interested in delving into a current Ashoka-Vader relationship, I really do not want Darth Vader to become some seasonal villain that gets his butt kicked every week by our scrappy heroes. That would cheapen Vader, and cheapen Luke's quest in the movies. Kallus seems likely to take on some of the fear and ruthlessness that Vader brought to that episode and carry it forwards.
    If there were a season 2 dead pool, Kallus is my first pick. Either Vader chokes him for failure at some point or the feud with the "hairless wookiee" ends with him at the bottom of a pit common to Imperial architecture .

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    I'm just stating that from the character's perspective. From the show's perspective it's totally gonna get dealt with for the reasons you mentioned. For newcomers to Star Wars (or kids whose parents disavowed any knowledge of the prequels) it'll also be good to go over it for them.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Been watching Clone Wars trying to catch up on some of these new characters. Finally managed to drag myself through Season 2, and... ugh, man, it's just bad. Maybe there was some improvement over Season 1, but the majority of the episodes were forgettable at best. About on par with the lesser of the EU novels. The characters rarely solved any of the problems themselves, instead relying on a series of coincidences or deus ex machina to advance the plot or save the day. The main characters tend to be bumbling idiots (everyone but R2) or basically perfect (R2 spends the first half of an episode bumbling through every obstacle, and the second half flawlessly evading a starship full of seasoned bounty hunters - two of him could probably defeat every droid in the Trade Federation).

There were a few standouts. Legacy of Terror wasn't bad, Bounty Hunters was a good homage to Seven Samurai, and of course the pair of Zillo Beast episodes. What do all of them have in common? They're cribbed from other sources. The best episodes in the season were borrowed and painted over in Star Wars colors, like the show runners knew their weakness and decided to shore it up however they could.

I had a few more dishes to do after Lethal Takedown finished (95% /yawn, though Ashoka's takedown of Slave I was pretty good - of course, Aurra Sing being able to blast through the cockpit transparasteel with her sidearm reverted to eye-rollingly stupid), so I let Season 3 start.

Wow. I have no idea where the fuck that came from, but Clone Cadets was so much better than basically every episode before it that I struggle to believe it came from the same team. If the reason of the series holds up to that, I'm beginning to see what other folk see in it.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Been watching Clone Wars trying to catch up on some of these new characters. Finally managed to drag myself through Season 2, and... ugh, man, it's just bad. Maybe there was some improvement over Season 1, but the majority of the episodes were forgettable at best. About on par with the lesser of the EU novels. The characters rarely solved any of the problems themselves, instead relying on a series of coincidences or deus ex machina to advance the plot or save the day. The main characters tend to be bumbling idiots (everyone but R2) or basically perfect (R2 spends the first half of an episode bumbling through every obstacle, and the second half flawlessly evading a starship full of seasoned bounty hunters - two of him could probably defeat every droid in the Trade Federation).

There were a few standouts. Legacy of Terror wasn't bad, Bounty Hunters was a good homage to Seven Samurai, and of course the pair of Zillo Beast episodes. What do all of them have in common? They're cribbed from other sources. The best episodes in the season were borrowed and painted over in Star Wars colors, like the show runners knew their weakness and decided to shore it up however they could.

I had a few more dishes to do after Lethal Takedown finished (95% /yawn, though Ashoka's takedown of Slave I was pretty good - of course, Aurra Sing being able to blast through the cockpit transparasteel with her sidearm reverted to eye-rollingly stupid), so I let Season 3 start.

Wow. I have no idea where the fuck that came from, but Clone Cadets was so much better than basically every episode before it that I struggle to believe it came from the same team. If the reason of the series holds up to that, I'm beginning to see what other folk see in it.

The writers got better at burning through Lucas's increasingly ridiculous demands each season, freeing up more episodes to do what they want to do.

Season 3 is a bit divisive; There's a trilogy of episodes that is chalk full of Star Wars mytharc; some people think that this is hokey or dumb, others think that it is totally rad.

(it's totally rad)

Anyway, more episodes featuring the clones = more good episodes as well. Fives is, and always will be, the goddamn man.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    of course, Aurra Sing being able to blast through the cockpit transparasteel with her sidearm reverted to eye-rollingly stupid), so I let Season 3 start.

But that was a cool sequence

So who cares?

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    The clones really are the best part of the show. Pretty much every episode focused on them is fantastic.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Especially in the last season.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    That's why I'm excited to see old bearded clones show up in the Rebels season 2 trailer.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    The clones really are the best part of the show. Pretty much every episode focused on them is fantastic.

One of the reasons I'm glad the show has gone out of its way to show that the current stormtroopers aren't clones.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    I find that story lines in current Star Wars media tend to increase in quality the further away from the super powered force users the viewpoint characters are.

Winklebottom on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I find that story lines in current Star Wars media tend to increase in quality the further away from the super powered force users the viewpoint characters are.

Some of the stuff with the Witches of Dathomir and Asajj was really good though.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    I hear it's pretty divisive but I enjoyed the weird force planet one with the Son and Daughter. Mostly for the scene where
    Son shows Anakin his future as Vader. It was super well done, with Alderaan blowing up and then the smoke forming up behind him.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    The last story arc with Ahsoka was excellent, but definitely capped off the story in a way that made the final season (That Netflix put up - I don't think it was ever broadcast) seem a little superfluous.

All the stuff with 99 was super awesome as well.

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

Almost as if stories are more interesting when viewed from the perspective of the "normal man", rather than the godlike being wreaking havoc on the normies.

One of the reasons the original trilogy worked so much better than the prequels was the fact it was following three essentially normal people (even as a Jedi Luke wasn't that great). Vader and Ben were in the background either being a mentor or threat, showing up to show off then vanish again, not really the primary focus of narration.

The prequels would have worked a lot better if you were viewing it from one of the clones perspectives, seeing Anakin get darker and more violent during the battles.

imo anyway.

• Options
    Hm, maybe so. I really enjoyed some of the EU novels with high powered Force use, and the story for Knights of the Old Republic is still Top 5 for me. Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight was a ton of fun, as was its sequels Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy (though JA was a little meh at times). Heck, I even really enjoyed the story of Force Unleashed. But that was five years ago.

Dunno. I think Jedi can work just fine, it's not like fantasy media can't have wizards in them. Maybe they just don't work in the Clone Wars setting. Or maybe we just need to move as far away from the creation of the prequels as we can.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Where are you watching the Clone Wars?
    Got 3 months of no new Star Wars ahead of me, looking to fill the void.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Where are you watching the Clone Wars?
    Got 3 months of no new Star Wars ahead of me, looking to fill the void.

It's on Netflix.

Speaking of.. is Rebels available to stream anywhere yet?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Nova_C wrote: »
    The last story arc with Ahsoka was excellent, but definitely capped off the story in a way that made the final season (That Netflix put up - I don't think it was ever broadcast) seem a little superfluous.

The arc in the final season with Fives was fantastic though.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »

The arc in the final season with Fives was fantastic though.

I haven't watched all of it. :P My problem is that you know how it ends already.

• Options
    Hm, maybe so. I really enjoyed some of the EU novels with high powered Force use, and the story for Knights of the Old Republic is still Top 5 for me. Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight was a ton of fun, as was its sequels Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy (though JA was a little meh at times). Heck, I even really enjoyed the story of Force Unleashed. But that was five years ago.

Dunno. I think Jedi can work just fine, it's not like fantasy media can't have wizards in them. Maybe they just don't work in the Clone Wars setting. Or maybe we just need to move as far away from the creation of the prequels as we can.

Right, but Gandalf and Dumbledore were never the main focus of their movies. They were background characters who slid in to give exposition or do something fantastic then leave.

• Options
    Morkath wrote: »

Right, but Gandalf and Dumbledore were never the main focus of their movies. They were background characters who slid in to give exposition or do something fantastic then leave.
    Raistlin Majere, Harry Dresden, Allanon, Dr. Strange, and of course the lol trump card Harry Potter. All wizards that do awesome shit rather continuously and successfully drive fiction.

That you include Dumbledore is kinda befuddling; that Harry Potter is a massively successful book and movie franchise kinda proves the point. People do, in fact, enjoy seeing wizards do wizardry.

• Options
    edited July 2015

Raistlin Majere, Harry Dresden, Allanon, Dr. Strange, and of course the lol trump card Harry Potter. All wizards that do awesome shit rather continuously and successfully drive fiction.

That you include Dumbledore is kinda befuddling; that Harry Potter is a massively successful book and movie franchise kinda proves the point. People do, in fact, enjoy seeing wizards do wizardry.

Raistlin, Dresden, Allanon, and Strange have yet to be in a movie. Strange is getting one, we will see how well it actually turns out.

Harry Potter is barely a wizard, he is more akin to Luke, where yes he is special, but in a middling talent kind of way that lets the audience still relate to them.

Harry Potter was so successful because it was told from the perspective of Harry and his friends. A normal kid thrown into a magical word, that the audience, other children, could easily relate to.
    If Harry Potter had been "Dumbledore: Adventures at Hogwarts" and told entirely from his perspective, it would have been a flop.

I never said people don't like seeing magical things happen, but they tend to respond better to them when they are things that occur in the background from some other persons perspective.

"When everyone is super, no one will be."

e:
    Wasn't the Dresden TV show kind of a failure too? I don't think I know anyone who watched it.

Morkath on
  • Options

Raistlin, Dresden, Allanon, and Strange have yet to be in a movie. Strange is getting one, we will see how well it actually turns out.

They don't need one to be successful.
    Harry Potter is barely a wizard, he is more akin to Luke, where yes he is special, but in a middling talent kind of way that lets the audience still relate to them.

Wizards are relatable when written properly. The Jedi were written so much better in the Clone Wars cartoons than the movies.
    Harry Potter was so successful because it was told from the perspective of Harry and his friends. A normal kid thrown into a magical word, that the audience, other children, could easily relate to.
    If Harry Potter had been "Dumbledore: Adventures at Hogwarts" and told entirely from his perspective, it would have been a flop.

His friends were more interesting than Harry was, that's about being a blank slate rather than being a wizard. Not Dumbledore, though his adventures fighting the Nazis in WW II/secret war with Grindelwald might have been promising. Depends how they write him at that stage, he wasn't the ol' ancient professor back then. They don't have to appeal to children to be relatable or be successful, they can be family affairs like the MCU/Doctor Who, young adult (which Harry's series became as he became a teenager) or for adults. A key element in Star Wars success was having Jedi protagonists, and the main character in the first trilogy was one.
    I never said people don't like seeing magical things happen, but they tend to respond better to them when they are things that occur in the background from some other persons perspective.

"When everyone is super, no one will be."

HP was filled with characters who were wizards and it did phenomenally, critically and financially. I'd watch a movie with Hermione as the heroine. The normal world was in the background, not the wizards. It's about the writing, and performances - not the subject matter. HP may be a shitty wizard, but he's a wizard. Luke became a Jedi Knight by ROTJ.
    e:
    Wasn't the Dresden TV show kind of a failure too? I don't think I know anyone who watched it.

It wasn't the best translation. The books are on another level with quality. Dresden is very relatable, just a different kind to Luke and Harry Potter.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Talking about quality in the Star Wars EU, I thought the Thrawn Trilogy was pretty great.

• Options
    I don't think it is necessarily the fact that they aren't super-powered force users, but that it is a fresh perspective on the series that had for far too long focused only on the super-powered force users. There are only so many ways you can have jedi defeat sith, or jedi fall to dark-side stories before the audience starts to roll their eyes and want some variety.

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I don't think it is necessarily the fact that they aren't super-powered force users, but that it is a fresh perspective on the series that had for far too long focused only on the super-powered force users. There are only so many ways you can have jedi defeat sith, or jedi fall to dark-side stories before the audience starts to roll their eyes and want some variety.

Absolutely true, but it is also the Superman problem.

Limitations on a hero make them easier to write for, the more power the hero has the harder they are to write for.

To get a decent clone troopers story you need an author who can write a tale that challenges elite military heroes to do their best and overcome difficulties. Not easy, but not impossible.

To get a good Jedi story you need an author who can write a tale that challenges kung-fu space wizards to do their best and overcome difficulties. That's tougher. Much tougher. Because kung-fu space wizard with a hot line to Deus Ex Machina knowledge is kind of tough to write for.

Edit: It is not that you cannot relate to a story about Wizards. Its that you have to be GOOD to write a good story about Wizards. And how many TV writers are that good?

Rchanen on
  • Options
    Rchanen wrote: »

Absolutely true, but it is also the Superman problem.

Limitations on a hero make them easier to write for, the more power the hero has the harder they are to write for.

To get a decent clone troopers story you need an author who can write a tale that challenges elite military heroes to do their best and overcome difficulties. Not easy, but not impossible.

To get a good Jedi story you need an author who can write a tale that challenges kung-fu space wizards to do their best and overcome difficulties. That's tougher. Much tougher. Because kung-fu space wizard with a hot line to Deus Ex Machina knowledge is kind of tough to write for.

Tougher, sure. Not impossible. The problem is with a Superman character is that writers forget he has weaknesses or write him too powerful so it drains the tension. He also has problems with plot devices and superior villains. Writers focus on the Super, rather than the Man and they'll lose why people need to care about him. This is why the Jedi were better in the cartoons, and the OT.

We've had a few popular series with similar premises.

latest?cb=20140102120406

header.jpg?t=1418777851

Tony Stark does all of the above, and balances it by being intriguing and a jerk.

Ironamnsmall.png
    Edit: It is not that you cannot relate to a story about Wizards. Its that you have to be GOOD to write a good story about Wizards. And how many TV writers are that good?

Today? Loads.

• Options
    What, are you kidding me? How many tv writers are that good? A zillion. Roughly one zillion. Dave Filoni has already done a couple good Jedi stories on Rebels, basically every superhero show has high powered individuals - God Damn, the entire superhero genre in general is filled with high power individuals.

You're acting like it's this ridiculous feat. It's not. Clone Wars was just exceptionally bad at it.

• Options
    What, are you kidding me? How many tv writers are that good? A zillion. Roughly one zillion. Dave Filoni has already done a couple good Jedi stories on Rebels, basically every superhero show has high powered individuals - God Damn, the entire superhero genre in general is filled with high power individuals.

You're acting like it's this ridiculous feat. It's not. Clone Wars was just exceptionally bad at it.

No I am saying that writing great stories in this genre is difficult. Writing crap is easy.

And thus you get more crap stories than great stories.

I mean take Harry's examples above. Avatar and the Legend of Korra. BY THE SAME GUYS.

Its like asking if Joss Whedon can get you a good superhero story. No shit. How many other directors and writers could you use to replace him?

I am not arguing that there are no writers that can do this, I am arguing that the writers who can do this are rarer than the writers who cannot.

Unless you get good writers and work with them, you are going to get crap.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    What, are you kidding me? How many tv writers are that good? A zillion. Roughly one zillion.

Really, so you are saying that the team that writes say Castle could write great clone wars stories. Or Big Bang Theory? Or How I Met your Mother? Or the Seinfeld guys. (Actually that would be the best Star Wars episode ever).

Or Burn Notice? Or the writers from Dexter? The I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay guys?

Seriously you have to remember how much of television is absolute shit. I mean its crap not worthy of existing.

Rchanen on
  • Options
    What, are you kidding me? How many tv writers are that good? A zillion. Roughly one zillion.

Really, so you are saying that the team that writes say Castle could write great clone wars stories. Or Big Bang Theory? Or How I Met your Mother? Or the Seinfeld guys. (Actually that would be the best Star Wars episode ever).

Or Burn Notice? Or the writers from Dexter? The I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay guys?

Not by picking the bad ones, we're in a tv renaissance. There's plenty of good writers on tv at the moment on premium and cable.
    Seriously you have to remember how much of television is absolute shit. I mean its crap not worthy of existing.

That's how it's always been, we still get great tv series.

• Options
    edited July 2015

Not by picking the bad ones, we're in a tv renaissance. There's plenty of good writers on tv at the moment on premium and cable.

True, but even in the renaissance how much of TV is still crap? 50%? 60%?

On average, counting both premium and cable how much of TV is currently good?

Edit: You guys are saying it is not difficult. I am saying considering how much crap is produced, it actually has to be difficult. Not impossible. But not as easy as writing crap. It has to be something that involves effort. Because if there are great writers on every corner, explain the Blue Bloods.

Rchanen on
  • Options
    edited July 2015

True, but even in the renaissance how much of TV is still crap? 50%? 60%?

On average, counting both premium and cable how much of TV is currently good?

A lot. How much do you watch? Syfy's churning out good stuff these days.
    Edit: You guys are saying it is not difficult. I am saying considering how much crap is produced, it actually has to be difficult. Not impossible. But not as easy as writing crap. It has to be something that involves effort.

Relax. As long as they hire good writers they'll do that stuff for you.
    Because if there are great writers on every corner, explain the Blue Bloods.

That's from the crappy portion.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    You can totally write good stories about space wizards. You just have to write good stories... that happen to be about space wizards. If you write shit stories, they're shit stories, regardless of space and/or wizard quotas.

Case in point: Star Wars Rebels.

*saberdrop*