As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Assassin's Creed: Origins - out now!

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    the gameinformer interview says the whole game takes place in 1868, beginning to end

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1868_in_the_United_Kingdom

James Brudenell, 7th Earl of Cardigan, your ass is grass and I'm gonna mow it

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    http://www.gamespot.com/articles/assassin-s-creed-syndicate-story-characters-and-se/1100-6427217/
    Cote said that Evie inclusion was planned from the start of development; the team always knew they wanted scrappy brother and sister twins at the forefront of their game.

Cote also added that discussions from last year sparked by a comment about women being "too hard to animate" had absolutely no bearing on Syndicate’s cast. Syndicate had already been in production with Evie in place for almost two years.

They also said it was too hard to make lady assassin's in the last one so I'm not really too sure if I believe that.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I wonder if you'll actually get punished in some way for mowing down countless bystanders during carriage chases.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I mean
    He mentions that, right in the previous line, and says it wasn't a concern

So either they were covering their ass with the animations line (which they were), or he's lying about when Evie was implemented (which he might be, sure)
    Healthy skepticism is fine but I don't think they're lying about both of those things

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Do we have any news of voice actors in this yet?

Evie and Henry both sound really familiar.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    the gameinformer interview says the whole game takes place in 1868, beginning to end

He died from injuries caused by a fall from his horse on 28 March 1868, possibly following a stroke, and was buried in the family vaults at St Peter's Church, Deene.

HMMMM

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    http://www.gamespot.com/articles/assassin-s-creed-syndicate-story-characters-and-se/1100-6427217/
    Cote said that Evie inclusion was planned from the start of development; the team always knew they wanted scrappy brother and sister twins at the forefront of their game.

Cote also added that discussions from last year sparked by a comment about women being "too hard to animate" had absolutely no bearing on Syndicate’s cast. Syndicate had already been in production with Evie in place for almost two years.

They also said it was too hard to make lady assassin's in the last one so I'm not really too sure if I believe that.

Is the person commenting in this article the same one who made the "animating female assassins is expensive" comment?

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I finished China today, it was fun.

Just a nice little puzzle game, my only real complaint about the game is that there is no reason to use any of the d pad weapons other than the sound darts.

The art style was fun and often I'd just be yelling to Viv, what are they talking about?

"there's nothing here!"

"I don't see anything!"

"you must protect me"

"what was that?"

"ENEMY HERE!"

and some repetitive dialog about the boss and what the boss wants and how they will do what the boss wants them to do or something

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    also I came in this thread to be excited and thrilled about having a playable female lead in a mainstream AC game that is also well-costumed

like seriously, people are probably gonna be cosplaying as Evie well before the game is even out

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    For balance, everybody in Syndicate needs to have a French accent

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    For balance, everybody in Syndicate needs to have a French accent

Oui.

• Options
    I'll watch your back you just watch mine

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »

i'm going to be pretty salty if none of this game takes place in abyssinia

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Start drinkin that soy sauce boy

• Options
    Did you know: Jacob is the first main game protagonist to not wear a ponytail since altair

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Well a ponytail AND those muttonchops would just be too much

• Options
    The cane apparently contains both a sword and a scythe blade that pops out the bottom

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I finally "finished" Unity. I think I have about a 40% completion score, but the main plot is done.

Thoughts:
    I kept on forgetting what I as Arno was doing in relation to what I as Modern Day Assassin Stooge was doing. This was mainly because of the three month gap between play sessions; I also forgot that Left Trigger made you sneak, so I was getting unreasonably annoyed with the stealth.

This was the first game where I used smoke bombs and berserker darts liberally to make up for my poor combat skills, and I like that I was forced to mix it up, even if I was getting jumped by dozens of guards frequently (see the bit where I forgot how to stealth).

I think I liked Elise as a character, but I mainly like that her "OK we're here now I'm going to fuck off and do my own thing" attitude got its comeuppance in the final battle (which was made trivial using the ol' smoke bomb + stabby stab one-two combo). I get why she would run off mid-mission, but, as my wife pointed out, there were multiple missions where she and Arno made no plans beyond "let's investigate and meet up later". Where? When? Should we divide the tasks so as to not risk doubling up?

I was wearing the hood which came with a feather and domino mask for the end mission, so the sadness of Elise's death was lessened by the stupid mask Arno was wearing.

The whole thing where I'm considered a loose cannon by the Assassins and kicked out had absolutely no fucking impact whatsoever. I still had all my stuff, and all of the side bullshit still looked open to do (well, I saw the icons on the map, it's not like I tried doing a side mission as I was sick of them by that point).

Speaking of side quest stuff; after I completed the riddles (which I enjoyed, mostly) and did a few Paris Stories missions, I lost practically all enthusiasm. This is the fastest I've ever got tired of Ubisoft's side stuff. I think it was partly because there's so much stuff on the map; any time I considered doing a side mission, I thought: what's the point? There are still going to be loads more left to do.

This meant that I completed the game without poison, coins (ah yes, the ancient art of chucking coins on the ground is a mystery to me as I decided to learn how to sit on a fucking bench instead), or any advanced melee apart from shoving people.

Also, learning that the entire game was so that the Assassins could learn that they don't need to do anything in the modern day felt like a real anti-climax.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Yeah, the meta plot for the last two games has been super lacking.

Actually that's not true, Rouge's meta plot was fun, learning about modern day assassins, but it kinda meandered to nothing by the end of it.

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Yeah, the meta plot for the last two games has been super lacking.

Actually that's not true, Rouge's meta plot was fun, learning about modern day assassins, but it kinda meandered to nothing by the end of it.

Sounds like any Assassin's Creed after 3 then.
    I finally "finished" Unity. I think I have about a 40% completion score, but the main plot is done.

Thoughts:
    I kept on forgetting what I as Arno was doing in relation to what I as Modern Day Assassin Stooge was doing. This was mainly because of the three month gap between play sessions; I also forgot that Left Trigger made you sneak, so I was getting unreasonably annoyed with the stealth.

This was the first game where I used smoke bombs and berserker darts liberally to make up for my poor combat skills, and I like that I was forced to mix it up, even if I was getting jumped by dozens of guards frequently (see the bit where I forgot how to stealth).

I think I liked Elise as a character, but I mainly like that her "OK we're here now I'm going to fuck off and do my own thing" attitude got its comeuppance in the final battle (which was made trivial using the ol' smoke bomb + stabby stab one-two combo). I get why she would run off mid-mission, but, as my wife pointed out, there were multiple missions where she and Arno made no plans beyond "let's investigate and meet up later". Where? When? Should we divide the tasks so as to not risk doubling up?

I was wearing the hood which came with a feather and domino mask for the end mission, so the sadness of Elise's death was lessened by the stupid mask Arno was wearing.

The whole thing where I'm considered a loose cannon by the Assassins and kicked out had absolutely no fucking impact whatsoever. I still had all my stuff, and all of the side bullshit still looked open to do (well, I saw the icons on the map, it's not like I tried doing a side mission as I was sick of them by that point).

Speaking of side quest stuff; after I completed the riddles (which I enjoyed, mostly) and did a few Paris Stories missions, I lost practically all enthusiasm. This is the fastest I've ever got tired of Ubisoft's side stuff. I think it was partly because there's so much stuff on the map; any time I considered doing a side mission, I thought: what's the point? There are still going to be loads more left to do.

This meant that I completed the game without poison, coins (ah yes, the ancient art of chucking coins on the ground is a mystery to me as I decided to learn how to sit on a fucking bench instead), or any advanced melee apart from shoving people.

Also, learning that the entire game was so that the Assassins could learn that they don't need to do anything in the modern day felt like a real anti-climax.

Assassin's Creed has been TERRIBLE with the side stuff for a while now. Collect a 100 mcguffins all over the map which takes hours upon hours and you get some kind of cosmetic outfit...that's not really much more interesting than any of the outfits you can buy in shops or craft in 5 minutes. Yay? Reason for locking it behind collectibles? Guess not.

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    drez_assassinscreed_unity_100_completion_3_zpspd06btq2.png

100% sync (including Dead Kings)

86 hours

It was a good game, but I'm so glad it's over.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Assassin's Creed Underworld, the eighth novel in the Assassin's Creed universe by Oliver Bowden, explores the series' ongoing battle between the Assassins and Templars in 1862 London. Underworld follows Henry "The Ghost" Green, an assassin and mentor to Assassin's Creed Syndicate's twin protagonists, Jacob and Evie Frye.

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

86 hours

Good lord man

I love Assassin's Creed and thought Unity was solid if flawed but jesus

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »

86 hours

Good lord man

I love Assassin's Creed and thought Unity was solid if flawed but jesus

Yeah, but you probably haven't yet achieved the level of self-loathing I have.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I got 100% sync in all ACs except Unity. Just could not be nterrsted enough, which is shocking considering it was in my favorite time period.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    So have I, except for AC1 and a few things I still need to do in Rogue (I'm at like 97%).

Unity took over twice as long to 100% as any of the rest. Wtf.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Unity has way too much garbage littering the map. I hate myself for gathering all of those worthless collectables.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    It's pretty hit or miss. The collectibles aren't really the issue, it's that they've been largely replaced by missions - and most of those are useless.

I mean there are a ton of collectibles too, but there's well over 150 side missions and a bunch of them are just annoying.

The actual collectibles I didn't mind after playing through Black Flag, Freedom Cry, and Rogue which required you to sail to the middle of so many nowheres to collect everything.

At least in Unity everything was pretty condensed. You are almost tripping over collectibles.

But you're also tripping over missions and those take exponentially longer than running into a collectible.

Drez on
  • Options
    Social Club missions were probably my absolute least favorite. You gain absolutely nothing from them, they are numerous, and the objectives were almost infinitely far from the mission start location. So annoying.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I love Rogue, you guys. It takes the gameplay of 4 and married it with a really interesting plot and--unlike Kenway--a protagonist I actually like.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I just beat Rogue this weekend - definitely good and it's nice to hear the sea shanties again, but I put so many hours into IV that I lost interest in the side stuff very quick this time. Maybe the legendary battles but then I gotta upgrade all the stuffs and find all the blueprints and ehhhh.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    I honestly would consider Rogue one of the top 3 creed games. It does have an increased number of side missions - I was surprised. I guess to offset that there were only 6 main sequences?

Anyway, it's not that much truth be told. Unity put the volume of Rogue in perspective.

• Options
    I really liked the multiplayer in unity.

One of my biggest complaints about the AC games is that I forget why I'm doing all of these things as the games are long and I forget stuff.

The multiplayer have you a neat little overview and reminded everyone why they were evil.

In watching the steam sale in the hopes that rogue goes on sale.

• Options
    I wish the side content in Rogue had more depth. I loved exploring all those places, but it was all context-free item collection. It would've been cool if there was a bit of story to some of the places, some contextual reason for Shay to be exploring.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFFcXwIBMPc

C'mon guys give us one damn trailer with Evie

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
  • Options
    Nothing about Syndicate excited me. I'm not a fan of the setting, and they're probably not doing much (if anything) with the modern day side of the story.

• Options
    Well dang

• Options
    syndicate indeed looks lame and boring

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Evie for style award winner 2015.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
This discussion has been closed.