As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dragon Age Inquisition] Because Geebs' Inquisitor is getting too old for this shit

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I... did I miss a quest

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I mean

Morrigan and Miranda ARE the haters.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I... did I miss a quest

Did you do cassandras quest

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    I... did I miss a quest

Did you do cassandras quest

I did the fetch quest, killing the rogue mages
    And then I figured the bit with Varric's book was her other personal quest

I talked to her a billion times and nothing else ever triggered

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Oh and second judgement (maybe? I don't know if they go in a set order)
    Crestwood's mayor. I handed him over to Fereldan's justice system. I actually sympathised with what he did, but he didn't wrong me or the inquisition so I didn't feel it was my place to have the ultimate say in his sentence. I felt pretty bad about it though!

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    Oh wait duh I got it
    I just forgot
    There's so much content in this game I did that quest like three weeks ago

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Oh whew, I thought the 'wait, what' was directed at my creepy sense of humour....

• Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    My wife wants to express to you all here deep disappointment at the lack of Sandal.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I am immensely glad about the lack of Sandal.

• Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    I am immensely glad about the lack of Sandal.

You have no joy....completely devoid of it...joyless.

• Options
    Sandal is

Not a very good representation of autism lets say

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Sandal is

I don't think it is supposed to be taken that literally...probably would feel the same if I thought that way though.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I was fine that Sandal wasn't around, but I also would have been fine if he was

I liked what's-her-name a whole lot more anyway, the dwarven artificer

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    I prefer to think of Sandal as having some sort of faaaaantasy affliction

Fade-touched, if you will.

Unrelated to Sandal, but spoilers for Josephine's personal quest:
    I got some weird bug where it spawned the scene where she is attacked by an undercover assassin, but it wouldn't let me talk to her. So from her perspective I saw her looking obviously horrified, staring at a dead body on the ground while Leliana's agent hovers nearby.

I then promptly leave the room without so much as a "how's it going?"

All in a day's work for the Derpquisitor

• Options
    I didn't mind Sandal in Origins but I found his portrayal in DA2 pretty tasteless, and the fact that he was in my house so I couldn't ignore him made me fully "nope" and I'd rather never see him again.

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    A steak! wrote: »
    Dragon Age is clearly a video game that exists in the Mass Effect universe (in a similar fashion to the wonderful Star Ocean: Till the End of Time), so they added the Krogan as an easter egg and made the statue as fan art.
    Star Ocean:TtEoT is one of the worst games I have ever played.

Yeah I was super psyched for that game for some weird reason, too. And it was so awful

Because Star Ocean 2 was good?

• Options
    Also, Sandal came across a lot like my brother, so I thought his portrayal was fine.

Just replace Enchantment with Disney.

• Options
    Someone said that Sandal's weird prophecy from DA2 ties into Inquisition but now that I've finished it I'm not sure it does
    Yeah he says something about the skies opening up, but he also says "all the magic will come back" and "everyone will be like they were" which doesn't really line up with anything in this game

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Are we still talking about endings in here? Because I would like to point out that franchises like Dragon Age and Mass Effect (and many other videogame franchises that follow a close narrative webbing, a la Assassin's Creed) don't really have endings so much as they have stopping points.

And ending would imply that you've put the narrative and the setting to bed, and that you feel there's no further potential for franchise exploitation outside of a reboot or a retcon. Such is clearly not the case with Mass Effect and Dragon Age.

And Batman.

• Options
    Someone said that Sandal's weird prophecy from DA2 ties into Inquisition but now that I've finished it I'm not sure it does
    Yeah he says something about the skies opening up, but he also says "all the magic will come back" and "everyone will be like they were" which doesn't really line up with anything in this game

ENDGAME SPOILERS, DO NOT CLICK IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED THE GAME
    It doesn't line up with exactly what happened in Inquisition, no. But it does kind of line up with the world Mr. Dread Wolf wanted to see, yes? And he was the one who gave Corypheus the orb. Maybe Sandal was seeing the world that Solas envisioned, with no division between the Fade and the 'real' world?

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular

shouldn't that be cause for concern

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    it's something I AM concerned about

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Didgeridoo wrote: »

It doesn't line up with exactly what happened in Inquisition, no. But it does kind of line up with the world Mr. Dread Wolf wanted to see, yes? And he was the one who gave Corypheus the orb. Maybe Sandal was seeing the world that Solas envisioned, with no division between the Fade and the 'real' world?

Ah okay that's a good point
    Good head there Didge

• Options
    I didn't mind Sandal in Origins but I found his portrayal in DA2 pretty tasteless, and the fact that he was in my house so I couldn't ignore him made me fully "nope" and I'd rather never see him again.

I rewatched his origin scenes recently

not good

• Options
    Yukira's bro sorta underlines the point that more than one autistic experience exists

which, I understand how frustrating it is to have it be the most common representation of autism in media

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular

The skies opening up is obvious, the he is definitley Solas, and the magic coming back and everything being returned to how it was is Solas' endgame, definitley.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Are we still talking about endings in here? Because I would like to point out that franchises like Dragon Age and Mass Effect (and many other videogame franchises that follow a close narrative webbing, a la Assassin's Creed) don't really have endings so much as they have stopping points.

And ending would imply that you've put the narrative and the setting to bed, and that you feel there's no further potential for franchise exploitation outside of a reboot or a retcon. Such is clearly not the case with Mass Effect and Dragon Age.

And Batman.

Spoilers for Mass Effect
    I would argue that the ending to ME3 makes it very difficult to continue the storyline in that universe, to the point that I would be extremely surprised if ME4 isn't set either before the events of the first Mass Effect or during the course of ME1-3 but in a different sector of the universe.

As a side note, the ending to ME3 is one of the only endings in any franchise that actually makes me like the previous installments less. I really don't want to replay any of that series, knowing what awaits me to wrap it all up.

• Options
    Dubh wrote: »
    Yukira's bro sorta underlines the point that more than one autistic experience exists

which, I understand how frustrating it is to have it be the most common representation of autism in media

specifically the "cannot function at a normal level/barely speaks but is a savant at something" thing

and also his apparent ability for extreme violence is SUPER unnerving

• Options
    again, chincy, folk like that do exist

but I would target your critique at the fact that you are not being represented in gaming, rather than aiming it this particular character

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    most I'm gonna say on it

I'm just SUPER bothered that Yukira was passed over in this discussion

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I dislike the Autistic/Savant portrayal in popular media. I've met many people who beilieve that my brother must have mystical mathematical powers due to his autism. Honestly though, he's just a cool little brother who has some issues with dealing with people.

I find that some of Cole's behavior (The rocking, and the tapping he does in some cutscenes) reminds me of my brother even more than Sandal ever could.

• Options
    Sandal, David Archer and Cole are really close to dead ringers for my brother.

We had to keep him off Goldeneye for yeaaaaaaaaaars until my mother was able to teach him that violence is not good.

It's been pretty cool to have Sandal regarded so well because while my brother isn't a mathematical savant or enchanting savant, he's really damn good at puzzles.

But yeah, I can understand how aggravating it can be to have that be the only portrayal.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular

I can't look it up right now, but doesn't Cole have a line almost just like that? Except talking about (spoiler's) memories?

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    Haven help pls
    Yo I apparently let a bunch of civilians die during the assault, should I restart

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Sandal is

I liked Sandal.

So, I understand that your milage on a character may vary.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    most I'm gonna say on it

I'm just SUPER bothered that Yukira was passed over in this discussion

I didn't mean to skip over him

I just wish there were more varied representations

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Yukira wrote: »
    Sandal, David Archer and Cole are really close to dead ringers for my brother.

We had to keep him off Goldeneye for yeaaaaaaaaaars until my mother was able to teach him that violence is not good.

It's been pretty cool to have Sandal regarded so well because while my brother isn't a mathematical savant or enchanting savant, he's really damn good at puzzles.

But yeah, I can understand how aggravating it can be to have that be the only portrayal.

I also really love puzzles.

Also, interestingly, my favourite subject in school was math, but I was terrible at the higher levels of it. The satisfaction I got out of getting stuff right was just like with puzzles, come to think of it.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    again, chincy, folk like that do exist

but I would target your critique at the fact that you are not being represented in gaming, rather than aiming it this particular character

I am not autistic

But I am very consciously aware that when you have a large varied group that is consistently portrayed very narrowly, its not good for that group

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Haven help pls
    Yo I apparently let a bunch of civilians die during the assault, should I restart

Nah.
    If it makes you feel better you can, but they all get replaced regardless.

• Options
    also, I feel like I should have mentioned that I'm high functioning, myself.

To put those comments into context.

jnij103vqi2i.png
This discussion has been closed.