As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Librarians] Noah Wylie's Warehouse 13

The Librarian series began as a trilogy of made for tv movies on TNT with Flynn Carson finding his calling. Hilarity ensued.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLQApRnpzBI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9HSViR2MTU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3mqsXrFyjQ

Now it's back in a new tv series, developed by John Rogers - of Leverage fame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBQjXMRxIl8

Let's meet the cast:

7845-aventures-flynn-carson-tresor-roi-salomon-1.jpg

Flynn Carson (Noah Wylie): The current Librarian. A loner who loves his job, bit of a dork. Amazing with the ladies. He's come a long way from Quest of the Spear, really. Has a rivalry with Excalibur.

57298b45a4d339db70b64f09b940bc221570b538.png

Eve Baird (Rebecca Romijn): Flynn's new Guardian. Veteran counter intelligence agent who was recruited by the Library itself to protect Flynn, who needs someone when he gets in over his head. Which happens a lot.

chris.jpg

Jacon Stone (Christian Kane): A no-nonsense, blunt man with a manly man's persona who is secretly a well educated author on ancient history.

cassandra2.jpg

Cassandra Cillian (Lindy Booth): A sweet, very smart young woman with a tumor in her brain that gives her the ability to remember everything.

the_librarians.ezekiel_jones.jpg

Ezekiel Jones (John Kim): A world travelling thief that can't stay out of trouble.

john-larroquette-as-jenkins-the-librarians.jpg

Jenkins (John Larroquette): The grouchy, up-tight manager of The Library the group finds themselves answering to. He prefers to be alone to use The Library for research.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    *slams on breaks.*

Eliot Spencer!

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    So is this going to revolve around the new group, with Flynn showing up ever now and again to remind us it's based on the Librarian series? I know Falling Skies is on it's final season, but I want him around more.

Also, pilot spoilers
    Excalibur's death was really sad. I really was wanting more of him.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I liked the movies .... I'll give this a few episodes!

• Options
    MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    You know, I actually quite liked the show. A friend of mine is a die hard Librarian fan so he got me to watch it. Although he agreed with this criticism:
    Those fight scenes? Perhaps the worst I've ever seen on a TV show. My friend said Leverage had the same problem (and surprise surprise, the same person is behind both shows). He's hoping it picks up. I do too because damn, nothing worked. From the stilted choreography to the off-putting filming and editing.
    Everything just felt light and flighty, like there was no physical impact to anything that happened. It all just came off as half-arsed and...I don't know what the best word is, hollow?

I think the contrast there was Flynn. Noah Wyle is having so much fun with that character you can't help but get pulled in.

Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I'm watching this.

I can't decide which universe on Fringe I'm going to place this and Warehouse 13. I think The Librarians might fit better in the main universe. I dunno.

I'm interested to see how the season plays out, if nothing else to get more John Larroquette.

• Options
    Morblitz wrote: »
    You know, I actually quite liked the show. A friend of mine is a die hard Librarian fan so he got me to watch it. Although he agreed with this criticism:
    Those fight scenes? Perhaps the worst I've ever seen on a TV show. My friend said Leverage had the same problem (and surprise surprise, the same person is behind both shows). He's hoping it picks up. I do too because damn, nothing worked. From the stilted choreography to the off-putting filming and editing.
    Everything just felt light and flighty, like there was no physical impact to anything that happened. It all just came off as half-arsed and...I don't know what the best word is, hollow?

I think the contrast there was Flynn. Noah Wyle is having so much fun with that character you can't help but get pulled in.
    The bar fight was one of the worst. You hit two guys with bar stools and the whole group of NINJAS fall down on top of them? Even Castle and Falling Skies have better fight scenes. Maybe they will hire a real choreographer soon.

• Options
    MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited December 2014

The bar fight was one of the worst. You hit two guys with bar stools and the whole group of NINJAS fall down on top of them? Even Castle and Falling Skies have better fight scenes. Maybe they will hire a real choreographer soon.
    Oh, jeez. I had forgotten about that part. That was just bizarre. I wouldn't even qualify them as ninjas. They were just dudes wearing ski masks.

Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • Options

Oh, jeez. I had forgotten about that part. That was just bizarre. I wouldn't even qualify them as ninjas. They were just dudes wearing ski masks.
    The Serpent Brotherhood couldn't afford the good ninjas at MinonsR'Us

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    So did anyone else watch the next episode? It took me a while to figure out why my DVR was saying it was episode 3.

Guess I forgot that the first stuff we saw was actually two episodes. Anyhow, it was a serviceable episode. There is certainly some potential here and I'll be curious to see how the various directors and writers do on the next episodes.

Episode 3 "And The Horns Of A Dilemma"
    I was wishing Rebecca Romijn's character and Tricia Helfer's character were going to have more strong female character face off in the episode. Maybe that will come in later episodes? If not, what a wasted opportunity!

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Should probably be called, "Noah Wyle's Curious Goods."

I have a huge crush on Lindy Booth.

Romijn's character seems like the weak point on this show.

Thief guy seems like a fun actor, but his actual thief skills currently leave a lot to be desired. I mean, in the pilot, he uses heat cutters in a room with heat detectors and doesn't have a viable exit.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Should probably be called, "Noah Wyle's Curious Goods."

I have a huge crush on Lindy Booth.

Became a fan of her's with Kick-Ass 2. She's amazing in Cry Wolf. She's quickly become one of my favorite characters on this show.
    Romijn's character seems like the weak point on this show.

I like her, but yeah. Needs improving.
    Thief guy seems like a fun actor, but his actual thief skills currently leave a lot to be desired. I mean, in the pilot, he uses heat cutters in a room with heat detectors and doesn't have a viable exit.

Agreed.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Kick ass 2! That's what I recognized her from. Thanks!

So, not sure how I feel about this show. It's falling right into that "just good enough to watch" category for me, problem being I don't have time for it at that point. Which, oddly, is the same way I felt about Leverage.

And in both cases it was Christian Kane that got me to even check them out. His episodes on Angel were just the best.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    mcdermott wrote: »

So, not sure how I feel about this show. It's falling right into that "just good enough to watch" category for me, problem being I don't have time for it at that point. Which, oddly, is the same way I felt about Leverage.

And in both cases it was Christian Kane that got me to even check them out. His episodes on Angel were just the best.

The show needs to step up its game. It looks so under-funded compared to Leverage. I do like the writing, the characters and the world building - it just needs a higher budget for crazy shit. That said, I liked the Minotaur.

edit: Booth is an incredible actress, yet I don't think she's trying her best here. Maybe she'll get the chance later on when the show's improved. This is the last scene from Cry Wolf - notice how her acting range has increased dramatically from this show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rKvhdoOktk

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I'll watch anything with Christian Kane in it.

The Librarian has always been a show that's looked rather cheap. And incredibly cheesy. With neverending "emotional" music. It's always been charming and fun though, and so far these aren't any different.

I'll keep watching.

• Options
    I loved the movies as Flynn was a great character, like a Doctor Who but with less confidence.

But this group doesn't work. They are so blah as people, everyone is lacks confidence (in the movies it was the ladies who were the confident ones) and they don't have either the friendship or drama that makes them a good team (or a bad team that makes good tv.)

Maybe it will get better. Agents of Shield took a few episodes to get good.

*prays*

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I haven't cared for the episodes I've seen so far. It struck me as Warehouse 13 as ran by Doctor Who, but then the Doctor buggers off in the TARDIS, and we're left with just the companions. I couldn't believe that the group was so quick to...
    forgive Female Gary and just let her back on the team. I guess I've been spoiled by Agents of SHIELD.

Mego Thor on
    kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Mego Thor wrote: »
    I haven't cared for the episodes I've seen so far. It struck me as Warehouse 13 as ran by Doctor Who, but then the Doctor buggers off in the TARDIS, and we're left with just the companions. I couldn't believe that the group was so quick to...
    forgive Female Gary and just let her back on the team. I guess I've been spoiled by Agents of SHIELD.
    That story line was totally wasted.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Just as a reminder, Rogers is posting postmortems at Kung Fu Monkey.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    I loved the movies as Flynn was a great character, like a Doctor Who but with less confidence.

But this group doesn't work. They are so blah as people, everyone is lacks confidence (in the movies it was the ladies who were the confident ones) and they don't have either the friendship or drama that makes them a good team (or a bad team that makes good tv.)

Maybe it will get better. Agents of Shield took a few episodes to get good.

*prays*

This should reassure you:
    All of this was done on an insanely tight schedule. Most shows have three or four months to get up and running. To beat Noah's deadline for returning to Falling Skies, we had five weeks from greenlight to camera roll, with nothing but the first script written. We shot out of order, on location, so the production team could buy enough time for the paint to dry on the sets. Writers were hired four weeks out, some of the actors weren't locked until the week of shoot. This was interesting, as it meant the writers were well into episode four writing dialogue for characters that we had no idea how they talked.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    From that perspective, the show is pretty fantastic then.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »

This pretty much sums up my opinion of the show so far. I think the characters are fun (I'm especially liking Christian Kane's character who feels the need to hide his intelligence to fit in where he's from), but so far, much like leverage, what I've seen doesn't really elevate it above a background show. But it's still really early so I'm holding out hope.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I like Lindy Booth too, been a fan of hers for a long while.

First time I saw Lindy Booth, she was blonde... and staring in a show about people traveling the world retrieving mystical artifacts.
    She was in Relic Hunter with Tia Carrere back in the early 2000s.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relic_Hunter

That is one specific form of typecasting she has got.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Kipling217 wrote: »

First time I saw Lindy Booth, she was blonde... and staring in a show about people traveling the world retrieving mystical artifacts.

I watched that show, I didn't remember her at all. Then again I don't remember anything about that show other than Tia Carrere being a Lara Croft knock-off.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I watched the 2 hour pilot movie, having only heard of the Librarian movies but never seen it.

Wasn't expecting it to be so goofy and campy (and I have seen Leverage before) but it was enjoyable none the less. I'll probably watch the rest.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I watched the 2 hour pilot movie, having only heard of the Librarian movies but never seen it.

Wasn't expecting it to be so goofy and campy (and I have seen Leverage before) but it was enjoyable none the less. I'll probably watch the rest.

The Librarian movies are the pretty much the same way; Incredibly goofy and campy and having fun with it the whole time. Big fan of them and their tone. I might have done an honest-to-god fistpump when I first heard this was a real thing.

Pilot was pretty great, but I felt that was 85% Noah Wylie. Was pleasantly surprised that the quality didn't drop too much in the first episode without him. Will definitely keep watching.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Haven't watched the latest episode yet, but caught part of it when I got home from work and saw what appeared to be Chuck Finley playing Santa Claus. If this doesn't end up being the case when I watch the episode in earnest I will be very disappointed.

• Options
    When you say Chuck Finley, do you mean Sam Axe's cover ID from Burn Notice, or the baseball player? Cause if its the first one, now you've got my interest.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    You will both be pleased, as it is indeed Bruce Cambell as Santa.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    Guess this gets put back on the DVR then.

kyrcl.png
  • Options

I watched that show, I didn't remember her at all. Then again I don't remember anything about that show other than Tia Carrere being a Lara Croft knock-off.

She was the ditzy secretary to Tia Carrere's character.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

She was the ditzy secretary to Tia Carrere's character.
    Also Night Bitch from Kickass 2 according to IMDB.

I knew she looked familiar from somewhere, but I don't think I would have made that connection in a million years without IMDB pointing it out.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Is there anywhere I can find the Santa episode (or any episodes for that matter) other than TNT's website? I missed it and apparently they have a thing against TWC customers.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    You know, I want to watch this, but I loved Warehouse 13 so I am just worried that I'll be negatively comparing it. All "Claudia could have solved this."

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Blackjack wrote: »
    You know, I want to watch this, but I loved Warehouse 13 so I am just worried that I'll be negatively comparing it. All "Claudia could have solved this."

It has a lower budget, while retaining the goofiness and wonder. Cassandra would be a beast on Warehouse 13.

• Options
    I hope they give the main character a longer running story.

They can call it "Noah's Arc."

• Options
    Lindy Booth is still hot.

Could someone tell the graphics team to stop using Papyrus?

http://stopusingpapyrus.wordpress.com/

• Options

It has a lower budget, while retaining the goofiness and wonder. Cassandra would be a beast on Warehouse 13.

Lower budget then a Scy-Fy show? How is that possible? Do they pay the actors in magic beans or what?

And Noah Whyle is having a blast playing Finn its so infectious to watch.

• Options

Lower budget then a Scy-Fy show? How is that possible? Do they pay the actors in magic beans or what?

Yeah. I don't think TNT realizes how much money is required for a mediocre science fiction/magic show costs these days. I know the show runner wants to expand the mythology, like this week, but it falls flat when
    the only supernatural feat a dragon-in-human-form can do is distort his voice to sound threatening.
    And Noah Whyle is having a blast playing Finn its so infectious to watch.

Agreed.

• Options

Funny you should mention that...

Today's episode dealt with fairy tales and had some of the most atrocious effects I've seen on a non-comedic TV show.... ever.

Like 1970s b-movie bad.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    ew flowers.

<3