As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Adam Roberts [chat]

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Yeah nova I'm gonna be in Cali

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    when a couple of goblins up to no good...

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    So when we were eating at Cinderella's Royal Table in Disney World, we saw these two guys eating together, and I was like hey Chelle we're not the most awkward adult couple in here! Huzzah! Which is totally something inside my head because I feel weird about being an adult in a place like that without kids, even though I totally enjoy it, and my logic is "I bet that gay couple would feel even more uncomfortable than I do, unless they're completely mentally stable"

And then one dude suddenly got down on his knee and proposed to the other dude. It was really sweet. These were two bigger bearded guys, so about 5 minutes later I was thinking about what I'd seen and how differently I would've reacted to that a few years ago, and then I just sort of blurted out, a little too loudly. "It's weird to see two bears together though isn't it?"
    And then next table over apparently gave me a look because chelle got real mad.

I want to infuse the feeling of being at Disney into my blood. That place. Is fucking. Magical.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    me and that girl are both leaving town tomorrow and she wanted to go out but she's broke

there's no good way to say "I would happily pay for everything to get to see you before I leave" that doesn't make it weird, because that would be weird, and she like most people doesn't like mooching off others, so

Hey, lets go do X. My treat.

"my treat" is the bit that would be weird

but why?
    I dont understand. whats a bar tab between friends?

Friends is one thing, this is another

don't treat it like another

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    me and that girl are both leaving town tomorrow and she wanted to go out but she's broke

there's no good way to say "I would happily pay for everything to get to see you before I leave" that doesn't make it weird, because that would be weird, and she like most people doesn't like mooching off others, so

Ok. Well if you make it weird sure. But that's a thing friends do for each other.

You're being the weirdo by making it a thing.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Keeping them together also lets banks leverage all those assets from mortgages and deposit accounts to make those investments. You can argue it makes investing cheaper but also makes over leveraging debt(which is exactly what happened) worse.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

but why?

casual acquaintances?
    fuck buddies?
    professional rivals?

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Neco wrote: »

"You can just pay me back with sex!"

There. Easy.

THE BOOKS MUST BE BALANCED

a lannister always pays his debts

in bed

yq5r6gdiezdt.gif

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I don't know how to explain it, it's not like these kinds of things are ever written down. A lot of us will insist on paying for ourselves. With good friends it's different, of course, because yeah, you pay for this thing, I'll pay for something else later on down the road of course, goes without saying.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    if you're buying drinks for your professional rival, make sure to spike them with a laxative a few hours before the BIG MEETING

Deebaser on
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Space, I'm pretty sure if the banks are under one roof you are basically allowing them to be backed up by the FDIC. It hasn't happened yet, sure, but those savings accounts are counted in the banks assets and if everything goes to shit the FDIC is going to have to step in to protect the depositors.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-10-18/bofa-said-to-split-regulators-over-moving-merrill-derivatives-to-bank-unit.html

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Having truly horrible acne during puberty did acquaint me really well with the strange psychological phenomenon of developing apathy for a chronic illness/disfigurement, though. It's a fairly well-noted phenomenon: with some chronic illnesses (notably, some intense chronic pains) the person will just develop a surprising amount of utter apathy for it when you'd assume that they would be under constant emotional stress. For a long time psychologists thought that if that happened it meant the person's injury/illness was purely psychosomatic, but they began realizing it happened even when the injury/illness was clearly entirely physiological. Like I was even immediately aware of and surprised by how well I coped with cystic acne on a day-to-day basis. In a way it's a bit comforting to know that your brain actively tries to accept the things that it can't change; that even if your life were to suddenly become constant searing agony it's possible for you to just come to deal with it and take it in stride.
    Don't take comfort in that, because it's mostly not true and the moments when it is make the rest worse.

The apathy that develops can change you, and if you don't like that kind of change it puts you in tension with either your body or your relationships.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I want to have a D&D Disney trip, even if it's only like a long weekend...we could all go in together and rent out 1-3 (or whatever) of their baller ass Condo type rooms then hit the parks together, then uber it over to universal studios.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    I don't know how to explain it, it's not like these kinds of things are ever written down. A lot of us will insist on paying for ourselves. With good friends it's different, of course, because yeah, you pay for this thing, I'll pay for something else later on down the road of course, goes without saying.

ITT its jus cultural differences

Deebaser on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

I mean you're making it abundantly clear that this is a very specific thing that's a problem for you and maybe this person.

We're just saying it's not like that at all for the rest of us.

You weirdo.

• Options
    I want to have a D&D Disney trip, even if it's only like a long weekend...we could all go in together and rent out 1-3 (or whatever) of their baller ass Condo type rooms then hit the parks together, then uber it over to universal studios.

disney is fun i haven't been in like 20 years let's do this

actually i am going to disney next october because a friend is getting married there

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    Having truly horrible acne during puberty did acquaint me really well with the strange psychological phenomenon of developing apathy for a chronic illness/disfigurement, though. It's a fairly well-noted phenomenon: with some chronic illnesses (notably, some intense chronic pains) the person will just develop a surprising amount of utter apathy for it when you'd assume that they would be under constant emotional stress. For a long time psychologists thought that if that happened it meant the person's injury/illness was purely psychosomatic, but they began realizing it happened even when the injury/illness was clearly entirely physiological. Like I was even immediately aware of and surprised by how well I coped with cystic acne on a day-to-day basis. In a way it's a bit comforting to know that your brain actively tries to accept the things that it can't change; that even if your life were to suddenly become constant searing agony it's possible for you to just come to deal with it and take it in stride.
    Don't take comfort in that, because it's mostly not true and the moments when it is make the rest worse.

The apathy that develops can change you, and if you don't like that kind of change it puts you in tension with either your body or your relationships.

key trick

dont have relationships... have relationboats they are smaller and easier to handle

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options

howabuttvegas?

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Whats a bar tab between friends who may or may not be sleeping together?

• Options
    edited December 2014

I mean you're making it abundantly clear that this is a very specific thing that's a problem for you and maybe this person.

You weirdo.

Me, this person, and, I'd say, most of the people I know here. In other words, yer culture's different.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options

You weirdo.

i do think there might also be an element of jitters or something by thinking of his as more than just two buds having a night out

two buds having a night out is the best thing tho

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular

howabuttvegas?

I'm not really into the whole party hard thing, I don't think I'd be a fun person to be in Vegas with.

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular

You weirdo.

that's because the rest of you are basically all Americans?

I can definitely relate to what Abdhy's saying and it's a difference between American and Scandinavian culture I've thought abut before. Without being able to clearly define it, though.

• Options

but why?

casual acquaintances?
    fuck buddies?
    professional rivals?

"not platonic" is as specific as it's possible to get at such an early juncture

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    a

You weirdo.

Me, this person, and, I'd say, most of the people I know here. In other words, yer culture's different.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Ha!

So I'm sittin' here working away ([chat] lol). And this fella from the 5th floor walks by my desk, on his way to the helpdesk. He steps a bit past then walks back to my cube and stares at my shelf.

This being my shelf at work:
    zgilgzz2depi.jpg

I've met this guy before. He's ghetto as hell. He says, "What that hell is this?". I'm thinking "Oh jeez, here it comes. Sure, tell what a geek I am...". Dude looks me straight in the eye and says "Where that hell is Aquaman, you can't have the Justice League without Aquaman" "You gonna need to fix this." Gives me a stern look and then continues to the helpdesk.

Fuck yes you do

Dx0roKP.jpg

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

howabuttvegas?

I'm not really into the whole party hard thing, I don't think I'd be a fun person to be in Vegas with.

Vegas has a very disney feel to parts of it, especially inside the resorts. You don't have to be hard drinking and gambling.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    MTA
    Fuk u

I've had so many delays in the last week

poo
  • Options

You weirdo.

if you go to dinner or whatever

does everyone reach for the check at the same time and have this kind of friendly competition of who's going to pay?

or does everyone just get separate checks?

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    relationpoolnoodles

they are fun to float on AND you can hit each other with them and they do not even hurt one bit

919UOwT.png
  • Options

You weirdo.

Well get it together and learn how to relax and not worry so much then!

Just gotta chill and not fret the details.

Murica wins again!

• Options
    jakobagger wrote: »

You weirdo.

I can definitely relate to what Abdhy's saying and it's a difference between American and Scandinavian culture I've thought abut before. Without being able to clearly define it, though.

ITT Scandanavians take going dutch quite seriously

• Options

howabuttvegas?

fuck partying. we're old. Hang out at the pool with good margaritas and go to nice restaurants and shizz

• Options
    okay i accept it's a cultural difference

i just think that this a case where

if it's a choice between going out with a friend or not going out with a friend

my culture is empirically superior

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    deebaser do you like 2 drink so much you have a spirits animal

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    jakobagger wrote: »

You weirdo.

ITT Scandanavians take going dutch quite seriously

yeah i hear they prepare spreadsheets and get card swipers and stuff in advance if the place won't split the check

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    I could do a Vegas weekend maybe if Chelle wanted to and it was understood that we would not be venturing to any strip clubs or partying hard. It's an idea

• Options
    I could do a Vegas weekend maybe if Chelle wanted to and it was understood that we would not be venturing to any strip clubs or partying hard. It's an idea

it would be theoretically less expensive

• Options
    Or better yet, field trip to Atlantis, which is basically the midpoint between disney and vegas
    plus, dat lazy river

• Options
    Socialism and solidarity aside, we do have an individualist streak.

ftOqU21.png
This discussion has been closed.