As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Adam Roberts [chat]

I just watched Interstellar and it reminded me that I do enjoy myself a weird sci-fi book every now and again.

You should read Stone, by Adam Roberts.

stone.jpg

It's about a post-scarcity pangalactic nanotech utopia where everyone's happy except the protagonist, who is imprisoned inside a star for being the only living human who's ever committed murder.

And (s)he gets sprung.

Everyone is as hedonistic and bizarre as you'd expect immortal jobless humans to be. There is a nose-sex planet.

He also wrote a book about Earth having perpendicular gravity, and a future where people get decapitated for their crimes and then become a headless undercaste.

This dude is lots of fun, read his books (the science isn't always solid through and through but it's usually a decent handwave).

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I refuse to handwave science

I saw him across a party once and handwaved and he looked away and never handwaved back

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    I refuse to handwave science

I saw him across a party once and handwaved and he looked away and never handwaved back

Science is such a bitch.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    I will read these books EM

And then I shall base my subsequent political affiliations from the politics within the books.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Speaking of

How goes the traitor project

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    EM - I wanted this chat to be about leopards. 0/10. Would not nominate to make a chat again.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    EM - I wanted this chat to be about leopards. 0/10. Would not nominate to make a chat again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S94ohyErSw

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular

here:

nL8X0LR.jpg

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I just watched Interstellar and it reminded me that I do enjoy myself a weird sci-fi book every now and again.

You should read Stone, by Adam Roberts.

stone.jpg

It's about a post-scarcity pangalactic nanotech utopia where everyone's happy except the protagonist, who is imprisoned inside a star for being the only living human who's ever committed murder.

And (s)he gets sprung.

Everyone is as hedonistic and bizarre as you'd expect immortal jobless humans to be. There is a nose-sex planet.

He also wrote a book about Earth having perpendicular gravity, and a future where people get decapitated for their crimes and then become a headless undercaste.

This dude is lots of fun, read his books (the science isn't always solid through and through but it's usually a decent handwave).

Tell me more about how we can make this punishment system a reality. It sounds amazing.

• Options
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

And then I shall base my subsequent political affiliations from the politics within the books.

does Australia have a nose sex party

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    knitdan wrote: »
    Speaking of

How goes the traitor project

Poorly as I have done nothing will all my sweet sample data as I started making keychain tools to consume it and put it in the format I needed it and then because that was boring I got distracted by the craptitude of life followed by the obsession of Destiny.

I hope to do something more meaningful on it over the giftmas break

EDIT: Also the secret words people have sent me have ranged from the predictable to the bizarre.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I have read so many comics from Marvel Unlimited this month.

So many I missed. All so good.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Looked it up on amazon.

Available on kindle.

Published by Hachette.

Amazon 1, Hachette 0

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular

it has a no sex party

Stable-Pop-Image.gif

aRkpc.gif
  • Options

America has an 'oh nos, sex' party.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    There is a nose-sex planet.

Your political party's emblem could be a nose with a penis inserted up one nostril, a nipple up the other.

• Options
    ronya wrote: »

it has a no sex party

Stable-Pop-Image.gif
    And the (cryptolibertarian) Sex Party.

• Options
    Gets Sprung is an interesting phrase.

• Options

Not as yet.

But at the same time, Objectivists aren't called the "Rape and Monologue Party" so maybe I will coin a more exciting term

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »
    There is a nose-sex planet.

Your political party's emblem could be a nose with a penis inserted up one nostril, a nipple up the other.

keep going

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    hah.

So, i'm doing these videos on "hidden gems of gaming", overlooked or obscure games...

My next one is on a game i ddin't like that much and it's growing on me.

Weird!

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular

it has a no sex party

Stable-Pop-Image.gif

Malthusians are still around?

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    I just had some chili

and there were beans

like god intended

• Options
    The Australian Future Party says we should build a new, better capital city called Turing that is between Sydney and Canberra and it should be entirely well architected for technology and quality of life and so forth.

Which sounds like a cool idea.

Except that it is insane.

• Options
    hah.

So, i'm doing these videos on "hidden gems of gaming", overlooked or obscure games...

My next one is on a game i ddin't like that much and it's growing on me.

Weird!

Have you ever heard of a game called Planescape: Torment?

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »

it has a no sex party

Stable-Pop-Image.gif

Malthusians are still around?

I'm a little Malthusianish.

If we don't, someday, go a little bit China on people's reproductive rights, that it'll probably become a big problem.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    The Australian Future Party says we should build a new, better capital city called Turing that is between Sydney and Canberra and it should be entirely well architected for technology and quality of life and so forth.

sounds swag to me

they need a beer fountain

lol also bed

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    man

the rock is like

the coolest dude in the world

poo
  • Options

it has a no sex party

Stable-Pop-Image.gif

I GET THIS JOKE

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

this makes me feel squirmy and uncomfortable

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    man

the rock is like

the coolest dude in the world

He is the peoples' dude.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

Insane because it's moving the capitol or insane because it's being pitched like Dubai on steroids and it's going to be the biggest bestest city in the world?

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    aztechnology is blood

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

here:

nL8X0LR.jpg

amur-leopardXL_233224.jpg?1345580767

• Options
    edited December 2014
    I read two books by Tony Ballantyne called Twisted Metal and the other called Blood and Iron about a robot planet called Penrose, and a war of aggression between different societies of robots to impose one's philosophy on the rest of the world. They have no idea about organic life at all. And some live in a city-state called Turing.

As it turns out it was weird and no particularly compelling and I can't really recommend it. I don't really even know what it was supposed to be all about.

Edit: Oh, and the third book has been delayed because of the author's wife's ill health. Which I find to be a personal insult.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

this makes me feel squirmy and uncomfortable

It's just calling out for a Too Many Cooks parody remix

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    redx wrote: »

America has an 'oh nos, sex' party.

Also a political party named the Sex Party.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

here:

nL8X0LR.jpg

Sadly not the Canadian ones so no snow Leopards.

• Options

here:

nL8X0LR.jpg

amur-leopardXL_233224.jpg?1345580767

That is what I was looking for.

EM - take notes.

This discussion has been closed.