As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Even for the [Elite] it is a Dangerous galaxy.

• Options
    GokerzGokerz Registered User regular
    swphreak wrote: »
    I think I'll pass on mining. All that effort I went through to get 2k credits worth of minerals.
    What kind of places did you mine in? You really need Asteroids that are identified as "pristine" or "metallic".
    The latter especially is easy to confuse with "metal rich", which aren't worth mining.
    I still suck pretty bad a trading/finding trade routes. Outside of BB missions, I think the area I'm in sucks for trading. From what I can see all the systems I'm close to are extracting/refining industries. I guess I should slap on a fuel scoop and scout for better systems nearby.

Have you tried this site: http://www.elitetradingtool.co.uk/
    Might help with finding routes.

causality.png
  • Options
    swphreakswphreak Registered User regular
    So what's the dumbest thing anyone has done so far?

Just now, I accidently jettisoned all (16) of my cargo inside a station. Got fined for it too!

• Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    So what's the dumbest thing anyone has done so far?

When easing in for a landing / just taking off, get your Thrust Forward and Afterburner buttons mixed up.

... More than once.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Scanner? More like dubstep cannon.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Almost destroyed my brand-new Adder and all the cargo I was carrying because I was hot-dogging the docking process. Turns out hitting the station at a decent speed knocks you the fuuuuck out. I was down to 2% hull in one hit. I bounced on the landing and was down to 1%. Cost $5,000 to fix.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I've made it to the frontier. Took a few days to get here but I didn't exactly rush.

?.jpg

Most of the trip has been pretty standard stuff. Not today. Today I passed through a fairly terrifying series of theocracies, penal colonies and one Angelic cult. Those places were full of some super hostile NPCs. One NPC for a theocratic faction tackled me with an FSDI while I was scooping fuel. I started out fighting it, but rapidly started overheating so I dumped my throttle and submitted. When I dropped out of supercruise I started taking critical heat damage, still quite close to the sun. My heat sink launcher probably saved my life. As I started to vector away from the sun and prepare for my escape I noticed my attacker suddenly explode. I guess he should have packed a heat sink launcher too. I bet he's in spaceship heaven now, being rewarded for his righteous zeal.

Now I get to jump off the edge of known space.

Drake on
  • Options
    The weird part of this game is getting used to a part of space. Like, this neighborhood I'm in is 20-30 stars that I'm comfortable with. Out of literal billions.

I really look forward to just kitting up a ship with a huge fuel reserve, great scanners, and becoming a cartographer.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    So we got to Ho Hsi....

How do we gain traction with Jet Comms?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Check the system map to see which stations they own. Then run missions for Jet Comms out of those stations and run trade to and from there.

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    Finally got enough credits to afford Class A thrusters on my Viper! Much maneuvering, very speed, so wow.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    vhzodvhzod Registered User regular
    I've found a great area. It's got an industrial, extraction, and agriculture system in two adjacent systems. No players either. I'm just hauling stuff all over the place in my Adder and getting Alliance rep. Think I'm going to upgrade to a Viper once I can fit it and switch to bounty hunter soon.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    One of the nicest little touches I've noticed having not played much since the middle of Beta is the fact that you can't boost while your landing gear is down. I'm sure this save a lot of people (including myself) a lot of pain from boosting into the rear wall of various stations. Just got to remember to actually extend the landing gear now...

The other is that they've mostly ironed out the transition to and from the different frameshift travel modes, ups the immersion by an order of magnitude.

• Options
    SirMontySirMonty Mount Backlog, Base CampRegistered User regular
    I played a bit in beta but quit to not get burned out on it. Now I'd like to finally dive into this game. Where do I start if I'd like to meet some fellow PA'ers? Ingame I'm "Galama".

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    One more question, thanks for the feedback on playability without a flight stick. How is the multiplayer implemented? Because frankly that sounds a bit off-putting. Do you get killed constantly by 13 year olds?

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    envoy1 wrote: »
    One more question, thanks for the feedback on playability without a flight stick. How is the multiplayer implemented? Because frankly that sounds a bit off-putting. Do you get killed constantly by 13 year olds?

This is my experience from beta, but in my case it was much more likely to be killed by reckless pilots not paying attention as they flew into a docking bay. Thank you, I just spent all my money on that cargo! Went to solo mode and never looked back ;)

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    Not at all. You can play in solo mode, you're playing in the same persistent universe but you won't encounter any other players. There is also Group mode, where you can play just with the people you invite to the group. There are some fairly large PvE groups organized on the official forums.

I play in Open mode and I haven't had issues with other pilots. A lot of it comes down to the systems you play in, your awareness and habits. If you head to high player traffic areas like Lave or Sol you will run the risk of encountering hostile players. There's lots of room in human space though. I doubt it'll ever feel crowded. If you play smart and keep your head you can avoid or escape most situations.

• Options
    Does having illegal cargo and getting scanned cause you to get fined or attacked by system authority vessels?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Yup. If you can break the scan before it's complete you are golden. So boosting out of range or breaking line of sight (like getting into the docking bay) are the most common options. Silent Running can break a scan too, but not if they are too close. Silent Running also shuts down your shield module and you close your heat vents, causing heat to steadily build up. Heat sink launchers can help out a lot here.

• Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    I was planning on spending an hour or so relearning the controls and suddenly 5 hours had passed. This game is addicting.

Two questions:
    What is the fastest way to navigate around in a system? Staying within the blue speed marker seems to take forever sometimes.
    How exactly do you make money with exploration? I understand the basics, you have to be 20 light years away to sell your charts, you need to scan stars and planets, etc. I found a system with some unidentified things, but planets were very hard to spot.

• Options
    OK, one more time because it rakes me awhile to remember. When bounty hunting, wanted means youre ok to shoot, or you still have to wait? I initiated an attack on an NPC last night who was wanted and got rewarded but didn't notice any penalties

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    So it's all one character and playing in solo mode carries over to open play, right?

• Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    So it's all one character and playing in solo mode carries over to open play, right?

Yep. I'm playing Solo for a bit until I can get my Adder a bit better armed, and get a bit more experience fighting NPCs. Then I'll change to Open, maybe. Although to be honest, Solo is pretty nice, there's never a lineup for a dock at an outpost, and I still get all the market/storyline stuff.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Can you store ship parts at a station to quick change a loadout?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    GokerzGokerz Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    When bounty hunting, wanted means youre ok to shoot, or you still have to wait? I initiated an attack on an NPC last night who was wanted and got rewarded but didn't notice any penalties
    Theoretically yes, but there seems to be a bug right now that if NPCs with the wanted status belongs to a faction other than pirate, the NPCs of that faction will aggro you if you attack the wanted pilot.

causality.png
  • Options
    Open isn't like, a horrific gank-wasteland guys. It's pretty much just exactly the same as solo only occasional waits at Outposts, and occasional interactions with other players. My most significant interaction with another human was telling a dude to spin his ship in dock so he could land.

Also yeah if someone is wanted you can kill them. The bounty you get can only be redeemed in the areas in which that person was wanted though. So like "Wanted" by the Federation means you have to travel to Federation space to collect.

@Ratsult2 you can think of exploration early on as a little reward for traveling a bit. It's usually only like 2,000 a system. I plan on getting kitted with better scanners and making my way along the galaxy to the core, so I'll see if those exploration rewards start ramping up for more detailed data.

The way I find planetary bodies is usually by trying to observe orbit lines in Supercruise. If a place has a bunch of yellow lines, but the system navigation is just a star, there are some bodies out there for me to scan.

• Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    Just found out that when you buy goods theres a tab at the top right that shows you what systems they are importing / exportering to... I feel kinda stupid now.

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Ratsult2 wrote: »
    What is the fastest way to navigate around in a system? Staying within the blue speed marker seems to take forever sometimes.

The blue throttle marker just shows the the throttle range for optimum turning speed, doesn't it? If you want to supercruise someplace far away, throttle all the way up!

• Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    Thanks again for the quick feedback. Solo mode sounds too good to be true... If I identify a useful time to play this I'm going to plunge in.

• Options
    Can you trade with people at stations? Am I able to send credits to someone?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Can you store ship parts at a station to quick change a loadout?
    Can you trade with people at stations? Am I able to send credits to someone?

No and no and no.

You can buy a new ship and keep the old, or you can buy a new ship and sell the old. If you want to transfer parts from your old ship to the new one, I think you have to sell the parts, buy the new ship, and re-buy the parts. Do all that without closing the buy/sell window. I think that way you don't lose any money on selling the parts. I've never tried this, but I think this is how it works.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Open isn't like, a horrific gank-wasteland guys. It's pretty much just exactly the same as solo only occasional waits at Outposts, and occasional interactions with other players. My most significant interaction with another human was telling a dude to spin his ship in dock so he could land.

Your experience has differed from mine, although I was in the starter areas at the time. There were people waiting at the drop-ins at the stars to scan and gank people, I was interdicted a whole bunch of times, and some outposts had like half a dozen guys waiting to dock with some jerk just sitting on the pad. I can see no benefit to playing open until I plan on being a jerk to people, OR until I can reliably group with PAers.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    @f3rret‌ I mean if I want to have a cargo variant of the eagle and a fighting variant of the eagle would I have to rebuy the parts every time, or can I go to a station and switch them out at the same station

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Also, would it be unsporting to rack up a large bounty on oneself and let someone else kill you after u jump into a sidewinder that you don't mind losing? Can you do that in private group games?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Right, don't alt-tab while the FSD is charging up and you find yourself almost headbutting the local star.

• Options
    Query: does explorer data sell for more the further from the source you go, or is it just a 20 ly minimum distance to be able to sell it?

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Also, would it be unsporting to rack up a large bounty on oneself and let someone else kill you after u jump into a sidewinder that you don't mind losing? Can you do that in private group games?

That specific exploit was closed off in beta. If a player collects the bounty on your head you gotta pay for it out of your personal account.

Spicey!

Drake on
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Drake wrote: »

That specific exploit was closed off in beta. If a player collects the bounty on your head you gotta pay for it out of your personal account.

Spicey!

Damn. I have to play the game instead of gaming my play.

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    So, apologies for the really basic questions I'm about to ask. I don't really follow to play space flight sim games so I am largely ignorant of them these days. My brother, however, is a huge, huge fan, and I know as his christmas gift to himself he is upgrading his PC, but doesn't have the cash to get himself any games. I know a new shiny space sim would be pretty ideal to put his machine through its paces.

So, Elite: Dangerous, it's out. How is it? Is it a fully realized game? Worth picking up? How about compared to Star Citizen, that's still pretty early in development, right? I know he is really excited to one day play Star Citizen, as he has mentioned it to me several times. I have never heard him mention Elite: Dangerous (he might just not know about it). Would this be worth grabbing to tide him over till the eventual release of Star Citizen? Is it worth getting in its own right?

Like I said, sorry for the basic questions, but, I basically have no idea what is going on in this scene and want to make an informed gift giving decision.

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    Almost destroyed my brand-new Adder and all the cargo I was carrying because I was hot-dogging the docking process. Turns out hitting the station at a decent speed knocks you the fuuuuck out. I was down to 2% hull in one hit. I bounced on the landing and was down to 1%. Cost $5,000 to fix.

I was not as fortunate. Not long after I got my cobra, I got impatient getting onto the landing dock and boosted a little too close. Could not slow down in time. The insurance cost was $21k

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Echo wrote: »
    Query: does explorer data sell for more the further from the source you go, or is it just a 20 ly minimum distance to be able to sell it?

Distance doesn't matter.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
This discussion has been closed.