As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat]s of the Old Republic

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    What are these damn kids doing not knowing about the popular things I like?

there is a level of ignorance which i find absolutely unforgivable

one that betrays an utter lack of curiosity

this qualifies

It's a big wide world out there and I'm cool with kids not knowing about 1960s pop icons right off the bat.

google is right there

Because kids on the internet always research and vet their comments before posting on twitter?

the fact that they don't is precisely what I take exception to

look a thing up ffs

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    wowwwwwww

tumblr_nhny10k4C51qarjnpo6_1280.jpg

Daniel Egnéus

Apollonius of Rhodes: The Voyage of Argo.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    there are no bangable dwarves in dragon age

unless you are also a dwarf

'cism

literally more bangable qunari than dwarves

wait do you mean you are the bangable dwarf or is there someone else?
    dwarf noble origin in the first game lets you knock up a lady dwarf in the prologue iirc

I was a dwarf in the first one and accidentally knobbed the witch.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    omggggg

tumblr_nhny10k4C51qarjnpo7_500.jpg

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited January 2015

this qualifies

It's a big wide world out there and I'm cool with kids not knowing about 1960s pop icons right off the bat.

google is right there

Because kids on the internet always research and vet their comments before posting on twitter?

look a thing up ffs

maybe twitter isn't the right service for that level of discipline though.

Twitter, when not being used for political/social uprisings, is 20% modern RSS, 10% comedians being funny, 70% rampant narcissism. I would have clicked Hail Hydra or awesome if scheck posted those tweets in [chat].

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

this qualifies

google is right there

look a thing up ffs

How much does people asking easily googled answers in chat drive you up the wall?

Is it a lot or a ton?

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I think one or two of those kids is honestly ignorant of Paul McCartney. Given that he's still a presence in pop culture I think that's kind of stupid but so it goes.

The majority of those tweets are probably just people being dicks. I tend to think this everytime I see a buzzfeedesque You Won't Believe How Dumb Kids These Days Are.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Like, I am old enough to have a topical reference for Paul McCartney, and my parents were old enough to have seen the Beatles in concert, and my mom and dad both played the albums while I was growing up.

I would not be surprised if a 15-16 year old had never heard of him at this point though. The parents of a 16 year old could easily be younger than me and were into a completely different genre of music, so they never had reason to expose their kids to it.

Not knowing the individual members of The Beatles isn't a war crime any more than not being able to hum a Bach song.

You monster!

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Freedom Wars' combat would be so good if the system had just one or two more buttons. I can tell. Because sometimes it is great right until the moment I realize that I have to press a button with three possible functions, time seems to slow down, and I wish I had another shoulderbutton. *loud sweating*

• Options
    *flips a table*

*loses his mind*

OikOuL8.jpg

@Abdhyius‌

• Options

this qualifies

google is right there

look a thing up ffs

How much does people asking easily googled answers in chat drive you up the wall?

Is it a lot or a ton?

not if they are asking questions

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I can hum some Yellow Submarine. Beyond that I can... name a few Beatles songs, maybe?

I know who they are. That's pretty much it.

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    @desc god damn

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    I can hum some Yellow Submarine. Beyond that I can... name a few Beatles songs, maybe?

The white album is probably worth picking up.

• Options
    ignorance is a symptom

incuriousness is the disease

they should be purged with the flame of knowledge

and the napalm of wisdom

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Also I am no longer young enough to be a Kids These Days, or at least officially will be next month.

Now it's all savings accounts and tax rebates

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    olds get mad when youths don't like or know the things they like or know. more at 11

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular

Didn't they make that song Enter Sandman?

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Also I am no longer young enough to be a Kids These Days, or at least officially will be next month.

Now it's all savings accounts and tax rebates

The way you can tell you're not a "kid these days" is when your friend tells you she's pregnant you don't respond "Oh, fuck!" but "Congratulations!"

• Options
    olds get mad when youths don't like or know the things they like or know. more at 11

I get mad when anyone of any age doesn't know things and doesn't seem inclined to learn about them

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »

Didn't they make that song Enter Sandman?

You're thinking of the Doors.

But it's understandable, since Pete Townshend was in both those bands.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    moniker wrote: »
    Like, I am old enough to have a topical reference for Paul McCartney, and my parents were old enough to have seen the Beatles in concert, and my mom and dad both played the albums while I was growing up.

I would not be surprised if a 15-16 year old had never heard of him at this point though. The parents of a 16 year old could easily be younger than me and were into a completely different genre of music, so they never had reason to expose their kids to it.

Not knowing the individual members of The Beatles isn't a war crime any more than not being able to hum a Bach song.

You monster!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsPFvqguawU

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    who r the beetles

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Paging Scheck or others who would know

Heard who I thought was Nicki Minaj doing a song featuring another female artist on the radio like 4-5 weeks ago, really liked it, can't find it now

Wasn't Anaconda, wasn't the one with Beyonce

Might not have been Nicki Minaj, but I'm p. sure; had the same kind of staccato rhythm she does

Anyone point me in the right direction?

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options

I get mad when anyone of any age doesn't know things and doesn't seem inclined to learn about them

If you are not a big fan of music as a youth in 2015 why would you know/care about Paul McCartney?

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    So I just ordered the Netrunner starter pack thanks to you guys. It's not like Magic, right? Like, you don't buy boosters and shit, it's more like Dominon in that there's only expansion decks?

• Options
    Nova_C wrote: »
    So I just ordered the Netrunner starter pack thanks to you guys. It's not like Magic, right? Like, you don't buy boosters and shit, it's more like Dominon in that there's only expansion decks?

Between the two. Expansions have fixed cards in them but there are a metric fuck-ton of them and they last two years or so before going out of rotation.

• Options
    But trufacts Beatles are maybe 30 years away from being an important historical footnote instead of something current or relevant.

Like, people will talk about The Beatles the way jazz folks talk about Jelly Roll Morton.

All it will take is for the last of the people who saw them perform live to pass away.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options

If you are not a big fan of music as a youth in 2015 why would you know/care about Paul McCartney?

because everyone should want to know everything

people who don't seriously give me stepford wife vibes

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    But trufacts Beatles are maybe 30 years away from being an important historical footnote instead of something current or relevant.

Like, people will talk about The Beatles the way jazz folks talk about Jelly Roll Morton.

All it will take is for the last of the people who saw them perform live to pass away.

they are already of historical importance idgi

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    wait. mojo is not a citrus

this is all so confusing

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    There's this creature in Magic I can't remember the name of, but the gist of it is that if you have it in play and empty your deck, you win the game.

So you can build a deck focused on drawing as many cards as fast as possible and play that creature to win.

Can't do shit like that in Hearthstone.

This was actually my favorite kind of Yugioh deck.

That and the Relinquished deck I made.

Yugioh has a lot of banned cards nowadays, because early on the game could swing back and forth like a fucking Ace Attorney-case, with cards that for example just put all cards back in their decks and started the whole thing over but left lifepoints as they were. That's no crazy setup, just flip one card, boom.
    The old joke about only needing one strong monster to win was weird, because even owning a strong ATK-score at the bottom of your deck was like asking for it to suddenly explode and kill you for no reason.

• Options

I know they're historically significant.

I just can't say I've ever listened to them.

• Options

Right. But one that people look down upon others for not knowing.

I guess maybe I should say "Jeopardy question instead of something everyone is expected to know"

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    ignorance is a symptom

incuriousness is the disease

they should be purged with the flame of knowledge

and the napalm of wisdom

And fire.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    who r the beetles

Band from the 80s. They sang Satisfaction.

You know.

i can't get no
    dun-dun-dun dun dun dun-dun
    satisfaction
    dun-dun-dun dun dun dun-dun

• Options
    PLA wrote: »
    Yugioh has a lot of banned cards nowadays, because early on the game could swing back and forth like a fucking Ace Attorney-case, with cards that for example just put all cards back in their decks and started the whole thing over but left lifepoints as they were. That's no crazy setup, just flip one card, boom.
    The old joke about only needing one strong monster to win was weird, because even owning a strong ATK-score at the bottom of your deck was like asking for it to suddenly explode and kill you for no reason.

I like the idea of graveyard fetch decks in Magic. Toss expensive creatures into your graveyard, then use cheaper spells to pull them back into play.

• Options

because everyone should want to know everything

people who don't seriously give me stepford wife vibes

But teenagers are dumb. By nature they are dumb people who are super self important.

I know I'm perpetuating a discussion what I'm also going to now call a silly thing to argue about, but I guess I think it is one thing to go "how crazy is it that kids don't know who paul mccartney is since he's so universally known in our age groups", but is kind of a silly thing to be like "a 17 year old not knowing who Paul McCartney is somehow indicates a decline in culture or civilization"

• Options
    wait. mojo is not a citrus

this is all so confusing

A murder of crow is a kind of citrus.

• Options

Right. But one that people look down upon others for not knowing.

I guess maybe I should say "Jeopardy question instead of something everyone is expected to know"

Everyone should know or be able to research all the answers on Jeopardy

the fact that they don't is a personal failing

One we are all guilty of, but a failing nonetheless

fuck gendered marketing
This discussion has been closed.