Options

US Congress: John Boehner STILL Can't Count (But Nancy Pelosi Is A Boss)

enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
edited March 2015 in Debate and/or Discourse
So a new term of Congress started yesterday. Let's talk about what they've been up to.

1) John Boehner had more members of his party dissent as to his continued speakership than any Speaker of the House since 1860. 25 of them. Louis Gohmert was the preferred candidate among the dissenters. So that's kind of funny.

2) They passed a bill forcing the construction of the Keystone XL pipeline. The President will veto it. So that was productive.

3) The House introduced a ban on abortions after 20 weeks. This is obviously going nowhere.

4) They stealthily changed a rule to threaten social security. Basically Old age insurance is solvent but disability insurance isn't. Normally Congress just authorizes the transfer of some of the old age insurance trust fund to the disability insurance trust fund because the whole program is fine. But now they've decided that transfer has to be offset with tax hikes or benefit cuts. Guess which one this Congress will prefer!

5) John Boehner still can't count, had a major jobs bill fail today. Because procedural bullshit, basically, but it's still embarrassing.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
enlightenedbum on

• Options
    Oh right, also they declared war on math.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

It's about time, fuck math!

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I literally cannot with Congress

so thank you thread, but goodnight, for my sanity

:(

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yeah I have resolved to not follow politics for the next two years, because holy shit.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Gohmert got 2 votes for Speaker. Dan Webster of Florida got 13. And Boehner is fucking over via committee assignments everyone who didn't vote for him.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    The CBO forecast that the unemployment rate would fall to 7.6 percent by the end of 2014. If the conservative analysis was correct, and higher tax rates on job creators were depressing job growth, we might expect the unemployment rate today to be higher than the CBO forecast. Instead it is much lower. Unemployment fell below 6 percent by the third quarter of last year. Indeed, the economy appears to be accelerating into a phase of more rapid growth just at the time conservatives predicted that higher taxes would have the opposite effect. This development has not given Republicans even the slightest pause.

CONSERVATISM CAN NEVER FAIL IT CAN ONLY BE FAILED

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SicariiSicarii The Roose is Loose Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    That CBO fuckery is basically the same shit that happened to the science advisory board. Congress loses another one of it's best tools for crafting researched policies.

Because God forbid we legislate by reality.

Sicarii on
    gotsig.jpg
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Sicarii wrote: »
    That CBO fuckery is basically the same shit that happened to the science advisory board. Congress loses another one of it's best tools for crafting researched policies.

Because God forbid we legislate by reality.

That is basically their stance, yes.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    “Dynamic scoring” allows the Republican majority to impose its own ideological terms on the process of scoring legislation. Many credible economic forecasters would argue that debt-financed tax cuts actually reduce economic growth, and thereby cost the government more, not less, than their static cost. (For instance, a paper by the Brookings Institution concludes that the Bush tax cuts slightly reduced economic growth, because the negative impact of higher debt outweighed the positive incentive impact of lower rates.)

Indeed, two decades' worth of experience would point toward the same conclusion. When Bill Clinton raised the top tax rates, conservatives predicted it would trigger another recession. Instead the economy boomed. When George W. Bush reduced the top tax rates, conservatives predicted it would usher in new heights of prosperity. Instead the economy produced a tepid recovery that was itself inflated by a bubble, culminating in a devastating collapse. The current recovery has picked up speed after the Bush tax cuts for the rich expired. These events do not prove that cutting taxes for the rich causes economic decay and that raising them causes growth. They do suggest that tax rates on the rich have, at best, extremely little impact on underlying growth rates. Republicans are enshrining their doctrine into congressional law at a moment when real-world evidence on its behalf is at a low ebb.

It's just utterly depressing that democrats are so bad at politics that the right can push their shit through even though all evidence says it's wrong with zero repercussions.

Veevee on
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    I knew I was going to say fuck this Congress, but many really fuck this Congress.

Veevee, I wouldn't place the entirety of the blame of the Democrats. I think we can give plenty of it to both the media, for failing to do proper journalism and to a sizable chunk of the public, that decided they either don't need to be informed and/or bother voting. I mean it's pretty easy for the shitbags running the current GOP to get away with plenty of shit when the media is quite willing to give them a free blow job, you have voters that don't realize they are getting screwed by voting republican and then smug asshole US citizens that think it's great they didn't vote. I mean the Democrats are pretty bad at the messaging, but I think they would have a very hard time with some of our country's other failings, even if they did get messaging down.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I wouldn't say 'zero'. I mean, when we strip the flesh from their bones as we pray to the great god Baal would have to be at least a minor inconvenience to them.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Voting rights needs to become an issue in 2016 so this shit stops happening.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

How long until the CRS gets destroyed? I'd put the over/under at 3 Speakers from now.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Math is alright, but I would vote to at least publicly denounce Linear Control Networks because seriously what the fuck am I reading.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Dynamic scoring has seen use before. It is arguably preferable to ignoring the impact on the economy of a bill, especially since all regulatory actions must state what the financial impact will be, and modern laws get implemented by regulations for the most part. The media is doing a terrible job of covering this.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    The CBO forecast that the unemployment rate would fall to 7.6 percent by the end of 2014. If the conservative analysis was correct, and higher tax rates on job creators were depressing job growth, we might expect the unemployment rate today to be higher than the CBO forecast. Instead it is much lower. Unemployment fell below 6 percent by the third quarter of last year. Indeed, the economy appears to be accelerating into a phase of more rapid growth just at the time conservatives predicted that higher taxes would have the opposite effect. This development has not given Republicans even the slightest pause.

CONSERVATISM CAN NEVER FAIL IT CAN ONLY BE FAILED

Hey @Syphonblue it at least gave them some pause.... for enough time as it took to take credit for it.
    Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) appears to be touting the accomplishments of the new GOP-controlled Congress even before its members have gotten the chance to hammer out any legislation.

In a speech on the Senate floor Wednesday morning, the newly elected majority leader suggested that the growing signs of an economic recovery -- 5 percent GDP growth, 320,000 additional jobs in November, all-time highs in the markets on Wall Street and plunging gas prices, to name a few -- just might have something to do with the election of a Republican Congress.

"After so many years of sluggish growth, we're finally seeing some economic data that can provide a glimmer of hope," said McConnell. "The uptick appears to coincide with the biggest political change of the Obama administration's long tenure in Washington: the expectation of a new Republican Congress."

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    This thread is giving me heartburn.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    The Senate is also floating a bill to change the ACA definition of full-time to 40 hours a week instead of 30. To let your boss cut you off from insurance at 39 hours once the mandate kicks in

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2015
    Dynamic scoring has seen use before. It is arguably preferable to ignoring the impact on the economy of a bill, especially since all regulatory actions must state what the financial impact will be, and modern laws get implemented by regulations for the most part. The media is doing a terrible job of covering this.
    The CBO doesn't ignore the potential impact of policy changes on the economy. so you're not really arguing correctly here. dynamic scoring as favored by the Republicans is total bullshit, especially when tested against the laboratory that is the real world. At best cutting taxes on the rich as a very minor improvement on the economy, or more likely as shown by the bush tax cuts, they will cause the deficit to explode because of the drastically reduced revenue. Also, increased taxes during the Clinton and recently the Obama era has coincided with improved growth. Dynamic scoring lets Reaganomics seem legit, which again, is discredited by virtually all economists that are not part of the Heritage Foundation or the Cato Institute.

Do you seriously think Paul Ryan's budget would have made things better, aside from for the riches?

In other magic Republican economic news, McConnell is taking credit for the improved economy. I fucking hate McConnell.

http://www.vox.com/2015/1/7/7508129/mitch-mcconnell-says-senate-republicans-traveled-back-in-time-to-fix

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    The Senate is also floating a bill to change the ACA definition of full-time to 40 hours a week instead of 30. To let your boss cut you off from insurance at 39 hours once the mandate kicks in

That was a much requested change that has been under consideration for a long time.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

That was a much requested change that has been under consideration for a long time.

So was deregulating investment banks.

It doesn't mean it's a good idea.

• Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular

I feel like the much requested change was to get rid of the employee mandate altogether, which would be a much more sensible option. Placing the 40hr week as the definition in the context of the mandate is the worst of the three options.

I would download a car.
  • Options
    Its funny because the GOP is again showing they care more about placating the rich business owners than fiscal responsibility

changing the definton will throw million more people onto the exchanges and cost the government billions in additional subsidies

• Options
    TenekTenek Registered User regular

That doesn't mean it's a good idea. If you're going to get rid of the mandate then just do that instead of adding an overwhelming loophole.

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    We need a veto counter and a "Times attempted to repeal the ACA -this time-" counter.

Trace on
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    So is there anything that Congress can do to stop the FCC from implementing Title II for ISPs like they announced? Because I assume if they can, they will try.

• Options
    Mvrck wrote: »
    So is there anything that Congress can do to stop the FCC from implementing Title II for ISPs like they announced? Because I assume if they can, they will try.

They can't I believe, neither can the president outside of urging the FCC to do something and of course appointing people to the FCC. And anything congress attempts to do here would have to go by Obama and I doubt he won't veto the absolute shit out of it.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    They could try to challenge it in court if they really wanted

• Options
    They could try to challenge it in court if they really wanted

No standing, though with this batch of supremes I'm sure the dolla dolla bill y'all brigade could get that fixed right as rain.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Groan, so we stuck praying that Kennedy is on one of his sane days. Man can't get one of the conservative shitbags off the SCOTUS fast enough, just like we can't get the 2016 elections here fast enough to vote out some of the current GOP shitbags, to take away their majority. Ideally, keep them from having a majority until sanity prevails within their party.

Also I wouldn't not be suprised at all if they tried to challenge the FCC change in some form. Though, we can probably expect the FCC to end up with some vacancies until the next Congress . . . fuck, can just expect lots of vacancies all over because the GOP won't be willing to confirm anyone that Obama puts up for an appointment.

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    It may be necessary to avoid the news for the next two years, lest my brain finds a way to throttle itself. I recall Dylan Ratigan once referring to Congress as nothing more than professional wrestling. As in, fake and corny with lots of bullshit drama. I'm thinking their best/worst season is about to hit us all right square in the genitalia. At least the thought of Louie Gohmert in a luchador mask helps ease my mental anguish.

*edit* One a more serious note. What the fuck happens if we face a real crisis with these clowns running the show? The thought is absolutely chilling.

yossarian_lives on
    "I see everything twice!"

• Options
    It may be necessary to avoid the news for the next two years, lest my brain finds a way to throttle itself. I recall Dylan Ratigan once referring to Congress as nothing more than professional wrestling. As in, fake and corny with lots of bullshit drama. I'm thinking their best/worst season is about to hit us all right square in the genitalia. At least the thought of Louie Gohmert in a luchador mask helps ease my mental anguish.

*edit* One a more serious note. What the fuck happens if we face a real crisis with these clowns running the show? The thought is absolutely chilling.

Obama crosses the Rubicon.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

God I hope not.

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Mvrck wrote: »

They can't I believe, neither can the president outside of urging the FCC to do something and of course appointing people to the FCC. And anything congress attempts to do here would have to go by Obama and I doubt he won't veto the absolute shit out of it.

Congress can pass a law stating the FCC doesn't have this power.

Obama might not veto depending on what bill it is attached to. It doesn't seem to be a hill any important Democrat feels particularly inclined to die on.

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Mill wrote: »
    Groan, so we stuck praying that Kennedy is on one of his sane days. Man can't get one of the conservative shitbags off the SCOTUS fast enough, just like we can't get the 2016 elections here fast enough to vote out some of the current GOP shitbags, to take away their majority. Ideally, keep them from having a majority until sanity prevails within their party.

Also I wouldn't not be suprised at all if they tried to challenge the FCC change in some form. Though, we can probably expect the FCC to end up with some vacancies until the next Congress . . . fuck, can just expect lots of vacancies all over because the GOP won't be willing to confirm anyone that Obama puts up for an appointment.

My fear is that if a republican president gets elected at all before one of the conservative wing retires dies... they'll just all retire that term to lock the court up for decades.

Edit: Because I also don't expect them to step down from age unless there's a republican replacement coming.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I just hope President Obama has a healthy supply of ink for his veto pen.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Bic stock suddenly reaches record highs.

• Options
    moniker wrote: »

God I hope not.

Well, yeah, but that's where we're headed and it's been the fate of I think every other country who adopted a political system like ours. Only our weakly aligned parties have saved us so far.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    And they weren't going to cut you off at 29 hours before? I work retail and I can tell you, they are already doing that for the 30 hours, and I would regularly get over 30 hours as a part time employee before.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Statistically, it's more difficult to cut someone off at 29 hours than 39 hours. It doesn't mean businesses can't currently do 29, but if the work requirement changes, then many more people will be affected and forced to the exchanges.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
This discussion has been closed.