As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] Only in Death Does Nerdrage End.

• Options
    WoozlWoozl Registered User regular
    Jeezus those are some amazing armies. Even the terrain I could see looked way better than average. Those Tsons are stunning as well, why doesn't that person post here too!

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    yeah that shit is ridiculous

*stares at unpainted mountain of plastic*

• Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    Woozl wrote: »
    Jeezus those are some amazing armies. Even the terrain I could see looked way better than average. Those Tsons are stunning as well, why doesn't that person post here too!

Yeah, his stuff is amazing. It should be noted that he does everything by hand, no airbrushes or anything. His stuff is so amazing it's tough being friends with him :P

He posts pictures to my website occasionally, and I always make an effort to post a few pics here too. You might remember his Emperor's Children and Alpha Legion armies from a couple years back.

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Those are totally amazing.
    Sharp and McGibs you guys just re-ignited my painting fire
    Time to finish these spess marines finally

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Here is a much larger gallery of photos a friend took over the weekend. He got the handful of armies I missed as well as more close ups and pictures of various games in progress. 167 images total.

A few cool armies I didn't get pictures of under the spoiler
    JarWW9a.jpg
    8zO7KDY.jpg
    Ll2JYBn.jpg

A few random game pictures
    zv4y39N.jpg
    4H2dzFr.jpg
    wUi72EO.jpg

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    Astro was awesome this year! I only went 3-3 but I had such a great time. Every game was a blast.

Are you writing up the details anywhere? Very interested to hear how it went as your list is similar to mine.

• Options
    Astro was awesome this year! I only went 3-3 but I had such a great time. Every game was a blast.

Are you writing up the details anywhere? Very interested to hear how it went as your list is similar to mine.

I usually do short reports on website but I fell out of the habit last year and was still undecided if I wanted to this year. Since you've asked now I guess I should. :wink:

I'll see what I can do in the next day or so before I forget things.

My main piece of advice is - Force Weapons will fuck you up. In my first game Arhiman charged my Dark Artisan squad and caused four S7 AP2 Force wounds at Initiate 8 wipe the unit in one round.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Just to shill once and only, over the next couple of months at least I'm going to be selling off a massive amount of orks, and some space marines. The links in my sig will go to my latest ebay auctions (want some squiggoths? Gargaturan squiggoths? Warbikers?) and my dakka trading thread for things that don't fit well on ebay. I'm going to start putting up Legion of the Damned squads on Sunday, if people are interested.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Already put in one bid.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Huh, I didn't realize it, but Vanguard Veterans kitted out with all Power Weapons and Jump Packs actually clocks in less than an Assault Squad with maximum flamers, eviscerators, and a Power Weapon on the Veteran Sergeant. You trade some versatility, but gain a ton more in the way of attacks. Thinking of running this as an 1850 point list this weekend (it's a Gladius Strike Force):

Demi Company

Chaplain
    -Jump Pack

Tactical Marines x10
    -Plasma Gun
    -Combi-Plasma
    -Rhino

Tactical Marines x10
    -Plasma Gun
    -Combi-Plasma
    -Rhino

Tactical Marines x10
    -Plasma Gun
    -Combi-Plasma
    -Rhino

Land Speeders x3
    -Assault Cannons

Devastators x10
    -Lascannons x4
    -Cherub

First Company Task Force

Veteran Sergeants x10
    -Jump Packs
    -Power Axe x10

Veteran Sergeants x10
    -Jump Packs
    -Power Axe x10

Sternguard Veterans x10
    -Drop Pod

I think the only issue is that this list will have problems with armor. I think the plan is to play Maelstrom though, so that's why there is a ton of fast units. I actually think I could get a 2nd turn charge off pretty easily due to Heroic Intervention. I also still have 80 points to burn. Thinking of putting them on the Sternguard for sepcial/combi-weapons.

• Options
    Double post, but I finished my Chaplain conversion.

tumblr_nsrpit0BKM1rm7iyxo1_1280.jpg

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    My copy of Assassinorum arrived yesterday.

Whoever designed the Callidus model is a fucking sadist.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    You mean all those fiddly bits in a vertical line with minimal contact area and almost no plugs/location marks?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    oh hai

99560102232_LordCommanderEidolon01.jpg

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Lord-Commander Skrillex

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    i like him a lot more than fulgrim tbh

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    DocSamsonDocSamson Registered User regular
    Little mini 7th edition formations rant:

I've been playing the same variation of my Tyranids list for so long I haven't gotten to really enjoy what the advent of formations and allies have brought to the system. For a while I've been wanting to get back into my Grey Knights, but also loved Skitarii. Guess what! Nemesis Strike Force + Skitarii Maniple and I'm off and running.

But wait, Cult Mechanicus has an all rowbutt formation? Swap out grey knights, now I have a stupid slow walking robot unit of doom. I can have two different armies, based off a Skitarii backbone, composed only of models I like and no extra filler of boring stuff.

I know there's all kinds of cheese with formations but when it clicks like this it's pretty much exactly what I want as a hobbyist.

• Options
    DocSamson wrote: »

I've been playing the same variation of my Tyranids list for so long I haven't gotten to really enjoy what the advent of formations and allies have brought to the system. For a while I've been wanting to get back into my Grey Knights, but also loved Skitarii. Guess what! Nemesis Strike Force + Skitarii Maniple and I'm off and running.

But wait, Cult Mechanicus has an all rowbutt formation? Swap out grey knights, now I have a stupid slow walking robot unit of doom. I can have two different armies, based off a Skitarii backbone, composed only of models I like and no extra filler of boring stuff.

I know there's all kinds of cheese with formations but when it clicks like this it's pretty much exactly what I want as a hobbyist.

Ha, didn't take you long to make a list around the Cohort Cybernetica formation I mentioned this morning :biggrin:

• Options

Ha, didn't take you long to make a list around the Cohort Cybernetica formation I mentioned this morning :biggrin:

I didn't see your reply! I'd been working on it for a little while when somebody mentioned you were looking into it, so I wanted to make sure I wasn't just creating an identical list.

Toying between that and Grey Knights for next Astro, but it's so easy to switch between the two with Skitarii I'll probably be trying out both over the next year.

• Options

I didn't see your reply! I'd been working on it for a little while when somebody mentioned you were looking into it, so I wanted to make sure I wasn't just creating an identical list.

Toying between that and Grey Knights for next Astro, but it's so easy to switch between the two with Skitarii I'll probably be trying out both over the next year.

This is the list I made after looking at the Cult Mechanicus formations.

The big robot unit has lots of powerfists and S6 Ap3 shots, with BS2 snapfire. They can take care of flyers, FMCs and other nasty stuff.

The Breachers can all deep strike, only scattering 6" if near an objective, no scatter if near the Techpriest or near one of the Inq Servo Skulls. they are all armed with either mutliple haywire shots or single shot guns that cause d3 wounds/hull points. These guys should be able to take care of most vehicles and monstrous creatures.

And then the Inquisitor is there for a bit of flavour, to help with reserves/deepstrike (servo skulls and a mystic) as well as a little psychic support via divination.

I have no idea how well this army would work, but it might work ok. It's certainly different than most armies, yet similar to my DE Coven. Either way, just a first draft of a cool list idea that I may or may not follow up on! :smile:

• Options

The big robot unit has lots of powerfists and S6 Ap3 shots, with BS2 snapfire. They can take care of flyers, FMCs and other nasty stuff.

The Breachers can all deep strike, only scattering 6" if near an objective, no scatter if near the Techpriest or near one of the Inq Servo Skulls. they are all armed with either mutliple haywire shots or single shot guns that cause d3 wounds/hull points. These guys should be able to take care of most vehicles and monstrous creatures.

And then the Inquisitor is there for a bit of flavour, to help with reserves/deepstrike (servo skulls and a mystic) as well as a little psychic support via divination.

I have no idea how well this army would work, but it might work ok. It's certainly different than most armies, yet similar to my DE Coven. Either way, just a first draft of a cool list idea that I may or may not follow up on! :smile:

Oh that's interesting. Assassin seems like a good fit.

I'm intrigued by the Autocaduceus of Arkhan Land upgrade on the Tech Priest. 30 points for It Will Not Die is normally not that awesome, but since it's "the bearer and his unit", and that formation treats the HQ and both robots squads as one big unit....thats 30 points for It Will Not Die for everyone.

They're slow as hell, and expensive, but everything having a chance to regain wounds at the end of a turn, plus T7, plus FNP, plus the HQ restoring a wound on a 2+ instead of shooting... Need to get some games in and try it out.

• Options
    edited August 2015

Oh that's interesting. Assassin seems like a good fit.

I'm intrigued by the Autocaduceus of Arkhan Land upgrade on the Tech Priest. 30 points for It Will Not Die is normally not that awesome, but since it's "the bearer and his unit", and that formation treats the HQ and both robots squads as one big unit....thats 30 points for It Will Not Die for everyone.

They're slow as hell, and expensive, but everything having a chance to regain wounds at the end of a turn, plus T7, plus FNP, plus the HQ restoring a wound on a 2+ instead of shooting... Need to get some games in and try it out.

Autocaduceus of Arkhan Land is really tempting, but the Relic that give the unit Cognis weapons (BS2 snapfire) is even more tempting. No one will want to charge the unit and you can easily put multiple wounds on a FMC even without the double tap protocol. My loadout there has 24 S6 Ap3 shots, half twin linked, that works out to 4 or 5 wounds on a Flying Tyrant with BS2 snapfire.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    I was considering making a Robohort as well, it seems like a fun low-model army that can plug and play with a lot of other things. It will fullfill my aspirations of making a 1950s/fallout style killbot style army that fell through with my necrons.
    These guys would make awesome skittarii vanguard
    Anvil_Industry_ARC_Trooper_1.jpg

And I found a studio that sells clear plastic domes with brains inside (replace me some baymax heads)
    33009robotmenace1.jpg

The Achilles heel of the big squad seems to be poison, grav, and instant death.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    Well our group is going to be fun when 4 of 5 of us are all running Cult Mechanicus Robot armies :biggrin:

• Options
    Most balanced 40k has ever been.

It's either this, or I start a heresy legion...

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    McGibs wrote: »
    Most balanced 40k has ever been.

It's either this, or I start a heresy legion...

Haha, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I have plenty of other list ideas I could end up doing.

Like another list I made that was just a massive Bullgryn Shield wall (Rampart Detachment) with a shit load of Leman Russes (Steel Host formation) behind it!

• Options
    They're just my fun list idea, and I really want to paint the robot models. Odds are I'll be sticking to Grey Knights, so I don't think we're going to all be running the same stuff.

I'm mostly hoping they do that higher points tournament in the new year. I have a Knight I am eager to paint up and try out.

• Options
    BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    So I just played a 1000 point, relic game in which my Talos got shot down to one wound on turn one and proceeded to win me the game in turn seven after killing fifteen Kroot and two Riptides by itself. Sometimes I am the king of luck. But just thought you all should know that Chain Flails are an incredible 5 point upgrade.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Chainflails are fun for mowing down squads. With only 3/4 attacks, only a couple dice going bad will lose a round of combat. Chainflails make him so much more reliable!

In my Coven army I run a Talos in a Dark Artisan formation and eventually upgraded to a Ichor Injector. I needed the extra instakill for big scary things and the DA Formation gave me enough backup attacks to make up for the lack of rerolls.

Taloi are so coooool.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    I think I prefer the chain flail. Rerolls are always useful. ID is situational, and not enough dice thrown to consistently get a 6. (Plus I always run grotesques, so I've got that covered)

Still split on heat lance/ haywire / cannon. Dark Eldar anti tank and anti flyer is so ugh.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    What's the difference between the Skittari and Cult Mechanius?

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular

Fluffwise it's kinda like the difference between the imperial guard and the inquisition, only with bio-mechanoid horrors and cybernetic religious fanatics.

Mechanically, the skitarii are augmented human foot troops with no actual HQ choices and some really cool guns while the cult mechanicus can actually use a Combined Arms Detachment since there's like one whole HQ choice for them. The mechanicus forces are mostly much heavier than the skitarii with beefy tracked heavy weapons as a troops choice as well as actual stompy robots, complete with variable "programming".
    N.B. Skitarii are stupid fast due to all having their legs replaced and can outrun tanks. Which is nominally why they don't have any transports.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    Chainflails are fun for mowing down squads. With only 3/4 attacks, only a couple dice going bad will lose a round of combat. Chainflails make him so much more reliable!

In my Coven army I run a Talos in a Dark Artisan formation and eventually upgraded to a Ichor Injector. I needed the extra instakill for big scary things and the DA Formation gave me enough backup attacks to make up for the lack of rerolls.

Taloi are so coooool.
    I think I prefer the chain flail. Rerolls are always useful. ID is situational, and not enough dice thrown to consistently get a 6. (Plus I always run grotesques, so I've got that covered)

Still split on heat lance/ haywire / cannon. Dark Eldar anti tank and anti flyer is so ugh.

I used to roll with the Ichor Injector but I'm going to agree with Woozl on this one. Shred is nice and it frees up 5 points in lower point games for something else. Math says Haywire is slightly better than Heat for anti-tank if you only care about killing. Heat will get you better chances to getting penetrating hits though. To me the cannon isn't really a part of the question because it'll be my default pick for certain armies and not others.

• Options
    edited August 2015

Yeah, Chainfails is by far the most reliable upgrade. I recommend that to pretty much everyone that runs a Talos.

But I've been practicing my 1500 tournament list for about 6 months now and switched to the Injector after too many games against Big Bugs, DreadKnights and other big nasty things I see in my local meta. Even with two squads of Grotesques I really needed the extra boost and so far it's really paid off. I dropped two carnifexes in one round of combat at Astro a few weeks back! But that's in my specific situation with my specific list.

I used to run Haywire when I ran the Talos by himself, mostly for the larger effective range. But since I switched to the DA formation with a webway portal, I changed to heat lance since I can get up real close really easily.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    I've been working on short battle reports from some of my games at Astronomi-con Toronto a few weeks back. The report for my first game turned out longer than the rest will be, because it was memorable and against a friend of mine, so I figured I would post it before the others.

My Army
    5pTaUIs.jpg

More pictures

Dark Artisan Formation
    • Haemonculi w/Scissorhand, Nightmare Doll, Webway Portal
    • Talos w/Ichor Injector, Heatlance
    • Cronos w/Spirit Syphon, Spirit Probe

Grotesquerie Formation
    • Haemonculi w/Scissorhand, Sindriq's Sump
    • 3 Grotesques w/Aberration in a Raider
    • 3 Grotesques w/Aberration in a Raider

CAD
    • Succubus w/Archite Glaive
    • 5 Warriors w/Blaster in a Venom
    • 5 Warriors w/Blaster in a Venom
    • Ravager w/3 Dark Lances
    • Razorwing Jetfighter w/2 Dark Lances, Splinter Cannon and 4 Monoscythe Missiles

Full List

Game 1 - Thousand Sons
    First matchup was against Jon, a guy I drove to the tournament with. We’ve played a lot of games against each other in practice for the tournament so I knew I was in for a hard game. His list was the following:

hhJnfQJ.jpg
    • Arhiman w/ 9 Thousand Sons in a Rhino
    • Sorcerer of Tzeentch w/ 9 Thousand Sons
    • 5 Thousand Sons in a Rhino
    • 2 Sicaran Battle tanks
    • 2 Laser Rapier Destroyers

My Coven list struggles against Psychic Powers, Instakill weapons, and lots of high powered shots. So with 10 power dice, many force weapons, and 2 Sicarans, his Tsons counters my Coven very well.

The mission was one I enjoy. There are 4 stasis pods objectives that deepstrike onto the table, followed by 2 8-man Deathwatch squads deepstriking in after trying to destroy the pods.
    I got lucky with the scatter rolls and two objectives landed next to each other inside my Deployment Zone side by side. The other two landed closer to his side of the board, but more spread out. More luck with the Deathwatch had one squad landing near both his objectives keeping the pressure on him.

Deployment only allowed 2 troops and 1 HQ to start on the table, the rest was in reserves with reserve rolls starting on turn 1 (5+). I deployed two venoms and he deployed two units of Tsons plus Arhiman.

BtlIBH9.jpg

The game started well with the Deathwatch making short work of the two objectives on his side of the board. Over the first couple turns his Tsons were distracted killing Deathwatch and did very little to my army, while I killed 15 of 19 Tsons (Venoms + Razorwing missiles) before his reserves could do anything. Unfortunately I didn’t manage to kill Arhiman. When my Dark Artisan squad dropped next to Arhiman and the remaining few Tsons, he managed to fully buff him with Iron Arm + Warp Speed + Force Weapon and charge to cause 3 wounds deleting my whole squad in one round before I had the chance to swing. This is when the game took a turn for the worse.

4Bt4Ak3.jpg

His Sicarans finally arrive and start making short work of all my vehicles, leaving my two squads of Grotesques stranded, one unit near my objectives and the other near Arhiman. By this time the last few remaining deathwatch models have made it accross the board to my objectives. I attempted to clear the last 3 DW from my objectives with my Grotesques but when I charged I forgot the DW librarian had a Force Staff and he kills my whole unit in one round. The DW then proceed to take out one of two Objectives leaving only one left on the table.

With my remaining models stranded on the other side of the board, and the Thousand sons having a Rhino with couple Tsons inside, a Sicaran and Ahriman left, things looked grim. As the game ends Ahriman wipes the last of my Grotesques in very close round of combat while his last rhino makes it to the last Objective in my deployment zone to win the game.

Loss (4-13)

• Options
    You lost before the game even started. Those 1k Sons look rad as hell.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    You lost before the game even started. Those 1k Sons look rad as hell.

That's usually been the case in the last 5 or 6 practice games we've played against each other. Since he added the Sicarans I haven't had a chance. This was actually the closest game we had in a while, and I only lost because of that damn Deathwatch Librarian!

Another write up is ready to post, a much shorter one though as the game was more straight forward.

Game 2 - Dark Angels
    I haven't seen a lot of the new Dark Angels so I wasn’t sure what to expect. My opponent’s army seemed to be a sprinkling of the various DA specific stuff so I would get a good sample. Trevor was a very casual player with not a lot of games under his belt. But he was a blast to play and a great sport!

H5KXr36.jpg?1
    • Captain w/Jump Pack, Primarch's Wrath, Lightning Claw
    • Librarian on Bike
    • 4 Ravenwing Bikes w/ Plasmaguns, Talons
    • 10 Tactical Marines w/Plasmaguns in a Pod
    • 5 Power Fist terminators
    • 5 Deathwing Knights
    • Ravenwing Dark Talon
    • DA Formation w/ 3 Attack bikes and a Land Speeder

The mission was a fairly standard, Breakthrough style victory points mission where you get a VP bonus for getting models your opponent’s deployment zone. It was also another restricted deployment mission, only allowing 1 unit to start on the board but with reserve rolls starting on turn 1 with a 5+.

I deployed with a Venom full of warriors and he deployed his attack bikes. The terrain and reserves was in my favour this game, with his units trickling on while I was able to kite and slowly shoot them as they closed in on me, then charge to mop up. Coven stuff makes short work of most marines in close combat, including Bikes and Terminator squads!

mNPdZFy.jpg

The game ended on turn 6. He only had an attack bike left while I still had the majority of my army left on the board.

Major Victory (14-3)

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Fluffwise it's kinda like the difference between the imperial guard and the inquisition, only with bio-mechanoid horrors and cybernetic religious fanatics.

Mechanically, the skitarii are augmented human foot troops with no actual HQ choices and some really cool guns while the cult mechanicus can actually use a Combined Arms Detachment since there's like one whole HQ choice for them. The mechanicus forces are mostly much heavier than the skitarii with beefy tracked heavy weapons as a troops choice as well as actual stompy robots, complete with variable "programming".
    N.B. Skitarii are stupid fast due to all having their legs replaced and can outrun tanks. Which is nominally why they don't have any transports.

I still don't get why the inquisition and guard have their own lists, much less mechanicus amd skitari.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

I still don't get why the inquisition and guard have their own lists, much less mechanicus amd skitari.

Why sell you 1 codex when they can sell you 2?

At least it makes some sense with inq/IG; they're not part of the same organization. Skitarii are part of the mechanicus, though.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Skittarii/CultMech is a pretty blatant example of a perfectly good codex split in half for no real reason other than GW wants to sell two books.

website_header.jpg
This discussion has been closed.