Options

[WH40K] Only in Death Does Nerdrage End.

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    Actually the game they "designed" can't be balanced. So they didn't.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I don't think this game is as unbalanced as people are making it out to be. It's certainly not a competitive game, but there are far more subtleties to the rules than people are giving them credit for. The only thing I dislike is that distance is not measured from bases.

• Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    Can I maybe suggest you guys take the AoS shit talk to the Fantasy thread?

I took a break from that thread because of the same arguments you guys are trying to start in here.

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    I didn't even know there was a Fantasy thread, sorry.

• Options
    NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    You're right @Sharp101, that's my bad. I should have told him his answer was over in the other thread instead of answering his question in the 40k thread.

• Options
    DocSamsonDocSamson Registered User regular
    Tyranid players; thoughts on regeneration on a Flyrant?

I have 35 points left at the end of my list. I can either bump up the guns in two squads of Warriors and add a single Mucolid spore, or give the Flyrant regeneration. It's been great on
    my Malanthrope, but the Flyrant either seems to die from mass fire or go mostly unharmed the whole game.

He is, however, the only Flyrant in the list so him staying alive is a good idea...

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Generally speaking the rule of thumb for Tyranids seem to be "put more bodies on the table" and thus ignore expensive wargear like regeneration and stuff.

I feel like also generally something like a Flyrant is either going to be ignored on a turn, or, have so much firepower leveled its way that it will get wiped out in one turn. If they don't kill him in one turn, then two? How often is the chance of one extra wound going to save him? It seems very edge-casey.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Generally speaking the rule of thumb for Tyranids seem to be "put more bodies on the table" and thus ignore expensive wargear like regeneration and stuff.

I feel like also generally something like a Flyrant is either going to be ignored on a turn, or, have so much firepower leveled its way that it will get wiped out in one turn. If they don't kill him in one turn, then two? How often is the chance of one extra wound going to save him? It seems very edge-casey.

Yep. I would spend 35 points on literally anything else.

• Options
    TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    I put regen on my flyrant sometimes. If it regens even a single wound, it generally makes the other player rage hard. If you play conservatively with your flyrant (As you should if you only run one), then you'll get a decent number of opportunities to use it, but I would never call it mandatory.

I ALWAYS put it on walking tyrants with guards, however.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Help me, Obi-wan Kenobthread. You're my only hope.

I want to use my foot-slogging captain. Who I envision as using artificer armor, a plasma pistol and a power fist. He looks really cool, and if you check out my pics in the painting thread, he is in the background waiting to be painted. Every time I post a list with him in it though, I keep getting the same response, that he doesn't have a purpose. SO, what would be a good way to run him. No bikes. I'm not changing the model, I just want to know what kind of unit I could put him with to maximize his use.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    I don't recall your list off the top of my head, but do you have any assault units? He could hang with some assault terminators or honour guard in a LR or Storm Raven or something

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Help me, Obi-wan Kenobthread. You're my only hope.

I want to use my foot-slogging captain. Who I envision as using artificer armor, a plasma pistol and a power fist. He looks really cool, and if you check out my pics in the painting thread, he is in the background waiting to be painted. Every time I post a list with him in it though, I keep getting the same response, that he doesn't have a purpose. SO, what would be a good way to run him. No bikes. I'm not changing the model, I just want to know what kind of unit I could put him with to maximize his use.

Foot slogging marines is a losing game so you NEED to put him in a transport. Out him in a Razorback with 5 Sternguard. Put him in a Rhino or Drop Pod with 9 other marines (make all weapon options plasma). Put him in a Drop Pod with Centurions.

Just do not footslog him.

• Options
    Teleporting around with Gate of Infinity works, too, and it maintains the aesthetic of footslogging. You'd need to ally in Draigo or hope to get lucky on that psychic table roll though.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    I forget if it was brought up in the thread, but back in March, GW put up an application for freelance writers. I submitted at the time, along with a jillion other fanboys. A lot of them got rejection notices at the time, and then a whole lot of silence.

So today I got a rejection letter about 10 a.m. Nottingham time, while at least one person that I know of got an acceptance letter. Sounds like I got really really close... but didn't quite do good enough!

Oh well, always next time.

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    That reminds me that I need to submit to that listing. Guess I'll do that when I get home rather than drinking.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Dear Extreaminatus,

Thank you for your submission. We regretfully must decline to offer you a contract to write fiction for us as your 2000 word submission contained the phrase "pulsing, erect phallus" 750 times.

Though we may contact you in the future if we decide to release a Slaanesh Daemonkin codex and companion novellas.

Regards,
    Games Workshop

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Piker. Mine had it 1235 times (and note, that is not a number divisbile by 3! Respledent indeed is the power of chaos!) I thought they took the freelance opening down after the glut of applications they got for it, but there it is on the U.S. I'm going to inquire about the actual writing position they have listed in the UK. I already live in Nottingham! (Maryland.... shut up!)

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Anyone know what the ranks in-between Sergeant and Captain are for codex marines? I'm writing some rules and need something lowlier than a full brass captain.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    McGibs wrote: »
    Anyone know what the ranks in-between Sergeant and Captain are for codex marines? I'm writing some rules and need something lowlier than a full brass captain.

Other than Veteran Sergeant, Marines don't have anything below Captain anymore.

In RT days there was a Lieutenant rank, but that was before the 100 marine company structure. You could use that or maybe something like 1st Company Sergeant?

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    Hm. how many guys does a captain actually command? A whole company? That seems like too big of boots for my 'bigger than skirmish but smaller than 40k' sized ruleset.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    I had an extra zero on there, only meant 100 marines!

A Company is (generally) 10 squads of 10. Each squad of 10 marines includes a sergeant. Those 10 squads are then collectively lead by a Captain and his Command Squad.

Above this is the Chapter Master that commands 10 companies. Librarians and Chaplains act somewhat independent of this structure, but below Captain and above sergeant.

So your smaller level commander could be a Lieutenant (made up for your engagement size) a Veteran Sargent, a 1st Company Sergeant, or a Chaplain maybe.

Edit: Do'h. Fixed the mistake Mayday pointed out.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    The guy who leads 10 companies is called a chapter master, dude.

• Options
    Urgh. I always forget how pathetically tiny marine chapters are and how their general depiction is always compleatly antithetical to how theyd have to actually operate. Lieutenant is probably the way to go.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    Urgh. I always forget how pathetically tiny marine chapters are and how their general depiction is always compleatly antithetical to how theyd have to actually operate. Lieutenant is probably the way to go.

Their rank structure makes plenty of sense. The only people who really need to be supervised heavily are the newer troops, and generally even they are more than capable of running large scale military operations. It's not like human armies where half the force has less than a few years experience and is only there for the paycheck. Also, it's a 1-10 ratio for command, that's nothing exceptional.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • Options
    Their command structure makes sense to me, I just always forget that, as oft depicted, the mighty space marine force holding back A ENTIRE PLANET OF TYRANIDS FOR MONTHS, is actually like... 20 guys.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Their command structure makes sense to me, I just always forget that, as oft depicted, the mighty space marine force holding back A ENTIRE PLANET OF TYRANIDS FOR MONTHS, is actually like... 20 guys.
    Ha, the funny thing is that with my close brush with the freelance writing position, I applied for another writing opening they had and submitted a 2000 word short story, referencing how the defenders of a planet in the path of a waugh fought valiantly, but were out-numbered 100 to 1. Until the Ultramarines showed up and evened the odds.

With fifteen guys.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Um. I've never seen a bit of fluff where the mighty marines held back the tyranids for months, ever. The closest you get to that would be the battle of ma rage, where and entire chapter, on its home world, with hundreds of regiments of IG in support, plus three entire battlefleets just about beat back a tyranid horde after months, and still lost their entire First Company in the doing.

Mostly you hear of squads of marines holding the line long enough for the surviving civilians to retreat to the transports before either getting the hell out themselves or dying in the attempt. Or running dozens of surgical strikes to take out particular swarm leaders while the guardsmen hold the line. That sort of thing.

Of course, that's 'nids; if you'd said Orks or traitor guard or Tau, or basically anything else capable of conceptualising "retreat" or having strategic locations then sure, there's loads of that. But then that's the sort of enemy the marines were literally designed to fight. Unending swarms of trillions of things that aren't even aware enough to know they're alive yet are capable of executing complex multi-front warfare? Not so much.

It's just a pity the current 'nid book barely carries any hint of this….

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    The vast majority of marine images/artwork is of a bunch of marines heroically stuck in a massive battlefield surrounded by enemies on all sides, blasting away in all directions, which is always pretty much the worst situation they could possibly be deployed in. Their whole point is to lightning strike smash into a weak point, cut off the head of the snake, and gtfo. Which makes for boring artwork and stories I guess, because at least to me, I always see them engaged in pretty conventional type battles, where their low numbers and lack of ammo would get them butchered instantly.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I always kind of figured the fluff was the in-universe equivalent of films that are 'based on a true story': embellished to be more entertaining.

• Options
    Didn't a single Phoenix Lord kill an entire planet's worth of Tyranids once? Draigo personally slaughtered an entire daemonic invasion once, too.

The fluff to tabletop just doesn't scale correctly by necessity, too hard to fit a million guardsmen or orks on the tabletop.

• Options
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    Didn't a single Phoenix Lord kill an entire planet's worth of Tyranids once? Draigo personally slaughtered an entire daemonic invasion once, too.

The fluff to tabletop just doesn't scale correctly by necessity, too hard to fit a million guardsmen or orks on the tabletop.

it about works out though

my 1500 point orks list has 105 models in it

only 2 are not boyz

my space marine list, on haverage, only has 40 or so models by comparison, several of which are vehicles

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
  • Options
    WoozlWoozl Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Played the first 3 rounds of the BAO today. First tournament ever, and even won my first game! (Though I got whipped the next two). Incredibly fun but I am so tired right now.

Here is my army!
    1O9g4TT.jpg

Woozl on
  • Options
    That is a sweet looking DE army. That was the Bay Area Open? How were th attendees?

Their rank structure makes plenty of sense. The only people who really need to be supervised heavily are the newer troops, and generally even they are more than capable of running large scale military operations. It's not like human armies where half the force has less than a few years experience and is only there for the paycheck. Also, it's a 1-10 ratio for command, that's nothing exceptional.

Going back to this, the 15 guys I had in my story were 5 assault marines, and 10 tacs, lead by the veteran sarge in terminator armor (3rd edition codex unit for the win! :lol:) What would you call that vet sarge? I used 'commander' through out the story, because that was his role on the mission, but does how well does that gibe in other peoples' ears?

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2015
    Personally I like to think of the marines as having the stereotypical "I work for a living." type of sergeant stereotype whom would get offended if you called them by a officer, or especially naval title. But that is more because I find it funny due to the way every marine fights exactly the same amount no matter rank, than it probably being true.

Morkath on
  • Options
    WoozlWoozl Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    That is a sweet looking DE army. That was the Bay Area Open? How were th attendees?
    Yes, attendees were awesome, every game I had was great. So much shouting just to be heard above the noise, I completely lost my voice. Also, they let you start the morning game early 2nd day. It can either be just enough time to play, or just enough time if you rush, so depending on how slow or fast your game goes, sometimes you are hustling at the end.

I faced some truly nasty lists, and saw quite a few more.

Woozl on
  • Options
    Morkath wrote: »
    Personally I like to think of the marines as having the stereotypical "I work for a living." type of sergeant stereotype whom would get offended if you called them by a officer, or especially naval title. But that is more because I find it funny due to the way every marine fights exactly the same amount no matter rank, than it probably being true.

That's probably why they generally all call each other 'Brother'. Because they all basically do the same shit, some are just allowed to give orders.

That's something I've always liked about marines. The guy in charge isn't sitting in a bunker far away looking at maps, he's the motherfucker kicking down the door and running in after his own grenade.

• Options
    I think the "Brother" thing is a modeled after monastic orders of knights, but I'm guessing those organizations also had an "everyone fights" mentality!

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    No doubt influenced by Starship Troopers as well, which may have been drawing on similar notions, where officers are the guys in the fancy suits with the head-up strategic displays and the day-to-day paperwork and logistics is done by civilians and retired citizens.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Shadow of the Horned Rat, Chaos Gate and Final Liberation all went up on GoG today.

For you youngsters those are WHFB, 40k, and Epic 40k PC games from the mid to late 90s.

This discussion has been closed.