As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Steam: It's really steamy!

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    all hail our benevalvent overlords

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    being a new release on the steam front page or featured in a sale are sometimes all of the direct advertising a game gets ever

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular

Yes, we are all Valve sheeple. Jesus.

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    As well as Steam sales do for some people, I think we've turned a corner where they might be negatively affecting longterm sales. People know whats up and will wait for a deal before buying. I know I skipped a few titles in the Summer and Fall sales because I figured already had a bunch of games to play in my backlog, so I might as well wait for the next sale before buying them, because they might be even cheaper then. I certainly don't buy many games outside of Steam sales anymore either.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Can I just say I really appreciate never seeing hail gaben in here

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    el_vicio wrote: »

a single post about the cut valve takes and saying "hmm that's a lot" lead to 5 rapid valve defense posts on completely unrelated subjects

it's a bit bothersome to not even be able to make an observation about a thing

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular

You're killing me here.

• Options
    As well as Steam sales do for some people, I think we've turned a corner where they might be negatively affecting longterm sales. People know whats up and will wait for a deal before buying. I know I skipped a few titles in the Summer and Fall sales because I figured already had a bunch of games to play in my backlog, so I might as well wait for the next sale before buying them, because they might be even cheaper then. I certainly don't buy many games outside of Steam sales anymore either.

Maybe, I don't have the numbers nor could I alone crunch 'em to say for sure, but as far as I know, publishers and devs have to sign of whether their product goes on sale and for how much. I imagine if the overhead had been shitty over the last few years, we should have seen less sales

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    also i just came up with the word benevalvent and thought OH MAN GOTTA USE THAT

liEt3nH.png
  • Options

a single post about the cut valve takes and saying "hmm that's a lot" lead to 5 rapid valve defense posts on completely unrelated subjects

So pointing out that 30% is not that much and that sales etc work out in favor of devs is a "valve defense post" and not possibly something to consider?
    Yeah I stand by my comment

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    I've heard people say stuff about Game Sales effecting long term sales but i'm not sure what the better alternative is

It certainly isn't 60 dollars until the used games stores get a hold of them, and it isn't like anyone has actual numbers suggesting that Valve or anyone else using the model is taking companies for a ride.(And we're pretty damn sure Gamestop is.)

• Options
    Plus, I imagine Steam (sales) had a pretty decent impact on casual piracy

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options

So pointing out that 30% is not that much and that sales etc work out in favor of devs is a "valve defense post" and not possibly something to consider?
    Yeah I stand by my comment

i mean

you've literally gone from "30% is not all that much" to "valve is stopping piracy" in the space of this conversation

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    No, I haven't, actually.
    1. it wasn't even me who pointed out that 30% is a normal cut
    2. I said I IMAGINE it made an impact on CASUAL PIRACY (which I can only support with anecdotal evidence, I am sorry), which is absolutely not what you claim I stated.

But whatever, you paint me however you need to

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Melding wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »
    Did they ever unerf stealth? I rage uninstalled after all the stupid barriers to entry they put in for that

when did they wreck stealth for you? cause they've made several tweaks to it but if you mean not being able to kill or capture all the guards on most jobs, they have no intention of actually changing that.

I think the pager nerfs?Was that a thing? where it depended on how many people you had with you, rather than just being 4?

Also I vaguely remeber something about missions other than the FIB respawning guards?

Basically, they made it a lot harder to solo, and you needed someone else to spot (and 2 other people to whine about stealth taking too long and how they wanted to shoot mans NAO)

you always get four pager answers now as a group, doesn't matter how many of you there are. however most missions have a guard wander is, look around and leave from time to time, and most overkill missions have 5 guards so you can't remove them all anymore.

But they also lessened the grind a lot, it still takes time to get to 100, but even in the 90s you're getting a level every few heists instead of every few days.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    So I just learned that Valve takes a 30% cut of every game on Steam

That's...a lot

I kinda don't blame EA anymore

It's industry standard. Apple and Google take 30% too.

I'm going to guess EA also takes 30% from non-EA games on Origin.

As far as I know, Humble is the only big name in digital distribution that takes less than 30%. They take 25% from sales through the Humble Store (though some of that goes to charity) and just 5% from sales through Humble widgets.

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    A note for those talking about SimCity and wanting more...keep an eye on Cities: Skylines. Looks promising.

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular

What?

You made your observations

And other people made theirs

That is how a forum works

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    ManishtushuManishtushu Registered User regular
    Syphyre wrote: »
    A note for those talking about SimCity and wanting more...keep an eye on Cities: Skylines. Looks promising.

The embargo was just lifted for youtube and live streaming, so there's a lot of stuff on youtube now if you were wary after SimCity.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Artreus wrote: »

What?

Suppose I don't like people feeling differently than I feel though

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    It is also an observation without the context that every other digital marketplace that we really have any numbers for charges the same thing.

Valve isn't charging the industry standard because monopolies.

There are absolutely valid avenues for criticism for the way Valve does business due to their immense market share, like for instance their absolute worst in the industry customer service, but them charging the same thing as other digital marketplaces probably isn't the most resounding argument.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »

What?

you could always try killing them

of course, they might try to kill you right back

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    Hobnail wrote: »

What?

you could always try killing them

of course, they might try to kill you right back

The tyranny of existence

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Yeah my guess is that 30% is bad.

But without comparing numbers it is hard to know just how bad that is.

And as for sales ruining game companies it seems like there is still a very large mainstream crowd that buys games on release date or as close to it as they can.

so I'm sure those people help balance out the bargain hunters like most of us.

shit I just bought Sunless Sea at full price last week just because I was like man that looks cool I wanna play it now.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Kadith wrote: »

And as for sales ruining game companies it seems like there is still a very large mainstream crowd that buys games on release date or as close to it as they can.

shit I just bought Sunless Sea at full price last week just because I was like man that looks cool I wanna play it now.

I pretty much only buy games at full price anymore

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Kadith wrote: »

There's another factor about Steam sales that I've been thinking about: hard copies. I don't know how much money gets tied up in production of physical copies of games, but I'm willing to bet it's not an insignificant percentage. When you factor in the cost reduction of digital sales versus brick and mortar sales, the 30% seems a little bit more palatable. And think about how much of a wider market digital sales have versus physical copies! No shortages, no out-of-stock situations, no shipping prices, no storage fees ... it seems like the devs would still be making a better profit even though Valve gets three-tenths of every penny.

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    u
    Arang wrote: »
    another big problem with stealth was how many perks and other stuff you needed to do it. I mean I appreciate that stealthing is a playstyle and it shouldn't necessarily be available to just any build, but you needed to put like 40 levels into it before it was even possible to beat a level

and that went hand in hand with how grindy the game is/was in general, which makes it kind of a nightmare to spend all your perks and money on stealth only to find out it's not fun and you're not good at it

(plus frequent nerfs to an already difficult stealth mechanic)

e: more succinctly, my opinion is that payday 2 feels a lot like the devs think I spend 8 hours a day playing it
    Fucking pfffft! :)
    Ukranian Job, Four Stores (cash machine trick) and Shadow Raid are all hella easy to stealth and require a bare minimum of skill points, although SR takes some initial learning.

And leveling goes so goddamn fast now, I've a hard time seeing how you won't reach 100 in 7-10 days?

But it's a damn fun game, and even more so if you're cooping with people you know and can communicate with! So I recommend everyone to give it a try, especially now you're getting all the the dlc for about what a pizza costs.

Panda4You on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    anyway enough talk about Steam prices and sales

here's some graphs about Steam prices and sales!

8kAHKUI.jpg

CP4LJQl.jpg

d1rGn0t.jpg

Kc7ltJP.jpg

3IR6kGG.jpg

hylPaBa.jpg

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/03/steam-gauge-measuring-the-most-popular-steam-games-of-2014/

• Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    30% giving you a giant fucking infrastructure to work off of

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense actually

• Options
    i was like "what is unturned why is that doing so well"

then i saw the first screenshot and went "oh okay there's the answer"

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    also

hahahah football manager

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    So Unturned is F2P Minecraft?

• Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    i need someone with no art skills to back up my no programming skills

we're gonna release the next big mineday zcraft

coming soon to early access

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    plus dayz

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    So Unturned is F2P Minecraft?

Also zombies.

I will never stop being surprised by the popularity of all these shitty zombie survival games.

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Zay wrote: »

listen i've got some no marketing skills that I think would be really useful in getting your not a product out on the market

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    also

hahahah football manager

yo if you know anyone playing football manager please contact their friends and family and leave a bowl of water out for them

• Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    Those Europeans and their soccer.

• Options
    Zay wrote: »

okay okay but consider this

what if we made it a MOBA too

This discussion has been closed.