As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TV]I've Already Consumed The Required Calories For This Day Period

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    I stopped watching Last Man on Earth after 2 episodes. Stopped just before January Jones joins the show. By all accounts I should just stop there, but what is it about the show that gets really awful?

(I do not mind spoilers as Blake has also gone off the show so it is unlikely that we will watch it.)

Did you see my post about Phil having zero redeeming qualities?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    What the hell happened in this thread

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    @Vivixenne
    Dude married the "last woman on earth" just so he could get laid, then January Jones shows up. He (not-so-subtly) spends all of his energy trying to bang her. He almost succeeds under the idea that it would be good for the future of the species, but his antics the night of bring The Other Last Man on Earth to the group, who then ends up being Jones' character's type. Phil then falls into a skeevy and manipulative state of mind since he's "stuck" with the woman he doesn't want while another (perfectly nice) dude gets the one he does.

There was a moment last week where he finally comes clean to Jones' character about all that, which seemed to be Phil's turning point back into a decent dude. Except this week he tried to (passively) kill the other dude by leaving him stranded in the desert, and then kidnapping the cow he found so he could return it and be a hero to everyone.

Oh, and also he still treats his "wife" like crap (verbally/emotionally) because she's not the woman he wants. However she's almost dumb/naive enough to actually believe the stuff he says, which makes it worse.Jones' character is the only one that calls him on his bullshit.

Basically he's the main character, and the only POV character, but he's closer to being the antagonist for the series than the protagonist.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Yaya, shut the fuck up about anime, Jesus.

Langly on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Anime Jesus is the worst Jesus.

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Incorrect

tumblr_inline_my8kwaxM031qk7wyq.gif

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

That would mean quite a difference in style to Stewart's version of the show, I think. Probably more sombre/quiet.

• Options
    VisskarVisskar Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Some updates on the X-Files return from Chris Carter

It'll be set in present day and accurately reflect the passage of time
    He's not sure yet how they'll handle the 2012 date for the colonization plan, and they'll also have to address something he calls the "William arc" which I don't think I'm far enough into the show to know what that is
    James Wong is on board, as is at least one of the Morgan brothers (though the article is a little confusing as to whether it's Darin or Glen or both)
    Duchovny thinks it'll be a mix of mythology and standalone, probably at least beginning and ending with mythology like every other season

Oddly enough they give the source for Carter's remarks as a site called X-Files News, which currently appears not to exist trust no one THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

Misread James Wong as James Hong and pictured an episode with Mulder and Scully heading to San Fran China Town to investigate supernatural occurrences and Chinese black magic.

Really enjoyed the first few seasons of the show, though I had lost interest by the end. The only thing the return is missing is a Brisco County, Jr return as a lead in.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    P
    Visskar wrote: »

He's not sure yet how they'll handle the 2012 date for the colonization plan, and they'll also have to address something he calls the "William arc" which I don't think I'm far enough into the show to know what that is
    James Wong is on board, as is at least one of the Morgan brothers (though the article is a little confusing as to whether it's Darin or Glen or both)
    Duchovny thinks it'll be a mix of mythology and standalone, probably at least beginning and ending with mythology like every other season

Oddly enough they give the source for Carter's remarks as a site called X-Files News, which currently appears not to exist trust no one THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

Misread James Wong as James Hong and pictured an episode with Mulder and Scully heading to San Fran China Town to investigate supernatural occurrences and Chinese black magic.

Really enjoyed the first few seasons of the show, though I had lost interest by the end. The only thing the return is missing is a Brisco County, Jr return as a lead in.

There is a chinatown episode. Pretty sure hes in it

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    VisskarVisskar Registered User regular
    P
    Visskar wrote: »

There is a chinatown episode. Pretty sure hes in it

Ah, you're right. Looks like a season 3 episode.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »

gomen, Langly-senpai

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    All of my trepidation about the Daily Show vanished in an instant once they announced this

I don't want Jon Stewart to go, but also I am very excited for this new version to start

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    All of my trepidation about the Daily Show vanished in an instant once they announced this

I don't want Jon Stewart to go, but also I am very excited for this new version to start

I really think it will work. Seems like a sharp dude.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    It's been a while, but I'm not sure why X-Files would need to address William. Didn't they essentially put that character on a bus using the tired old...
    "This baby is disappearing to be raised by a completely anonymous couple so as to keep it safe from the dangerous lives of the protagonists"

...routine? While I'm not a fan of that exit strategy, I didn't think that character was super well-received so why bring them back? Unless they had some prophesized future that I'm not remembering.

On another note, I can't see a way for them to do mytharc stuff without it being disastrous (at least with the old mytharc). New fans will be lost, casual fans won't remember anything except the basics, and hardcore fans will nitpick the mistakes and/or outcomes that don't live up to their decade+ of expectations.

Best case scenario is to basically reset back to basics (Mulder and Scully investigate strange phenomena for the FBI and nobody really believes Mulder) by doing something like this:

(Season 9 Finale Spoilers)
    The invasion did not happen, and furthermore Mulder cannot discover any sign of aliens in high-ranking government positions (which is why he had to go into hiding in the finale). He began looking into it after the FBI had him consult in the second film, and ultimately accepted his old job because of it.

It nags at him that all evidence of alien involvement in the government has disappeared, and it causes him to distrust Skinner who was here the entire time and should know something despite claiming otherwise. The aliens are apparently gone entirely, and taking his old job is the only way he feels he can investigate and find out what really happened.

This is all covered in just a few lines of dialogue as they get sent on a case. Most of the new blood at the FBI doesn't really know about the stuff from fifteen years ago and looks down on the X-Files division. Skinner gives Mulder and Scully plenty of leeway, however, despite Mulder's distrust of him.

So now things are basically reset to basics, and Mulder essentially has a new conspiracy to hunt that won't get new viewers lost since all they need to know is easily covered by the dialogue ("Aliens infiltrated the government in preparation for a large-scale invasion, resulting in Mulder having to go into hiding. But the invasion never came and the aliens are gone, and nobody believes Mulder that it happened in the first place.").

The explanation can never be revealed for all I care. Maybe the aliens had to cancel the invasion due to some bureaucratic red tape on their home world and their invasion budget got re-routed to the parks department or something. Maybe the aliens were repelled by a secret cabal of werewolves. Whatever. Just focus on investigating strange stuff.

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular

The guy speaks like six different languages and is also is a big international traveler. I think he'll bring some really interesting takes to the show and continue to push for a more global look at what is happening in politics.

• Options
    Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I wasn't sure about Trevor Noah as host of The Daily Show, but I remembered he was on an episode of the Daily Show podcast I hadn't listened to yet. I gave it a listen and he seems to have an understanding of world history and even American current events. Coupled with him being funny in general, I think he's a good choice.

Lost Canuck on
    QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
  • Options
    He's also not a white guy named Jimmy from Brooklyn, which is an unusual choice for late night

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    I really liked this article

http://www.avclub.com/article/don-draper-no-antihero-216848
    None of this absolves Don of his many sins. It doesn’t excuse his absence from his children’s lives, which will inevitably affect them for years to come and haunt him for the rest of his life. It doesn’t forgive the many lovers he’s embraced and then thrown away after they were no longer useful. It doesn’t rewrite the numerous lies he’s sold to his family, friends, and the American public. But Don’s actions aren’t grounded in evil; they’re grounded in fear and desperation. They’re the actions of a man longing for meaningful connection but who can’t quite muster it. Don was born into an existential crisis and he may die there as well, but in spite of his many efforts, he hasn’t lost the potential for redemption.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    on the other hand,
    http://www.lrb.co.uk/v37/n07/james-meek/the-shock-of-the-pretty

(I don't agree with absolutely everything this dude says - mainly, I don't find the style detracts from the substance overly much - but he has a lot of very salient points about the missed opportunities of Mad Men)

• Options
    Oh, better idea for the X-Files conspiracy.
    It was stopped by Burt Reynolds, who is literally God in the X-Files canon. He reveals this to Mulder over a night of drinking and playing board games, but afterwards Mulder is too hungover to remember.

• Options
    those would be good people for like, a bit, but I can't see them being long-time hosts.

• Options
    Well Amy Poehler was a host of a lengthy political comedy segment for several years

But of those 3, she's the only one I could see working out

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    yeah but I wouldn't put Weekend Update on the same level as the daily show or even needing the same skills.

• Options
    Louis CK is to much of an ass for that part

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Louis CK just wouldn't be able to give a shit for that long

He'd burn out so fast and he couldn't possibly fake interest in interview subjects

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    simosimo Registered User regular
    i think for the daily show to work as currently constituted you've got to get somebody who is as politically passionate as they are comedic

so from what i can tell noah looks to be a better choice than any of those three, who are all squarely comedians first

and yeah, i know stewart was a comedian first when he came on, but taking on the daily show as it was then is very different than taking it on as it is now

bugss2.jpg
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Well Amy Poehler was a host of a lengthy political comedy segment for several years

But of those 3, she's the only one I could see working out
    yeah but I wouldn't put Weekend Update on the same level as the daily show or even needing the same skills.

Oh.

I thought you were talking about Parks and Rec

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    I think Amy Poehler would've been fantastic

Louis CK and Amy Schumer would have not

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Louis CK just wouldn't be able to give a shit for that long

He'd burn out so fast and he couldn't possibly fake interest in interview subjects

And God forbid he disagrees with them

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    Please stop talking about anime, thanks.

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Also it's kind of huge time sink, everything I've heard makes me think you are going to be putting in 12-16 hour days forever.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Oh, NOW you show up.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I don't like Amy Schumer, and can't imagine Louis CK acting like he cares or being invested in something like the daily show, though they both have experience as show runners and figureheads. Amy Poehler might've worked, and I would certainly watch her, but Trevor Noah seems perfect for the position.

It's weird, but I never even thought of him, and now I can barely imagine anyone else doing it.

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    It doesn't hurt that I could listen to Trevor Noah talk about literally anything, dude has an amazing speaking voice

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    YaYa wrote: »

gomen, Langly-senpai

Yeah

Uh

Next time maybe just PM me and Speed if you have that kind of question.

I was pretty proud of my spotless infraction record...

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Amusingly, I lost my spotless infraction record in the Anime Thread we had on April Fools Day two years ago (where Geth had been set to infract you if you said the words "anime," "manga," "Japan," "tentacle," "it" or about a dozen other words).

The funny part is I wasn't talking about anime in any of the posts that I got infracted on.

In other news, has there been any word on if Galavant was renewed for a second season? They seemed to have hedged their bets with that finale.

This discussion has been closed.