As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Everything [Battlefield] - Rumor: BF5 Set In (Alternate Reality?) World War I

• Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    Farangu wrote: »
    I really like the AT rifle for assaults, and limpet charges for supports. So satisfying.

Also I wrenched an artillery truck to death a few days ago. Talk about no situational awareness.

Oh man! About this, I was in the train on suez on one of the machine guns. We kept getting hit markers from the other end of the train and I couldn't see much. We finally start moving and there is a whole squad of guys just standing on the "wrong" side of the train just throwing grenades! Wtf guys look away from the buildings and towards the hit markers! I got 7 kills cleaning that up, then another 2 brace souls in a crater that was very close to the train. Man, look around occasionally. Especially if you're taking damage!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I really like the AT rifle for assaults, and limpet charges for supports. So satisfying.

Also I wrenched an artillery truck to death a few days ago. Talk about no situational awareness.

I have started to move away from the AT rifle. I was good at first and I do still use it a lot, but I can't ever seem to pair it with enough other damage to finish the tank unless I'm up close. So instead of close/far I've started just going all close. Dynamite and at nades or dynamite and mines. I do still use the rifle a lot, but it's not a must have anymore for me. Depends on the map and how many other competent assault we have. Plus rubble messing with the bipod deploying correctly has gotten me killed a couple times.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    So, the single player is pretty bad huh?

I'm really enjoying it! The end of the first war story reminded me of the huge amount of Company of Heroes I used to play. Yeah I know different war and all that, but it was the closest I've ever felt to actually being in one of those insane battles.

Finished the 2nd story last night, and my only real complaint is that the flight model is totally different to the way the planes work in multiplayer. Which makes total sense, don't get me wrong! But it would have been nice to have the option. Not being able to yaw was weird. Liked the story though.

Going to start the 3rd one today. I actually find the levels so intense that I typically only do one at a time, then take a break.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    canuckontcanuckont Registered User regular
    I normally use the at rifle to soften it up then move in for the kill with the grenades. Or the other way around when they try to scurry away.

Tank hunting is actually quite fun.

Yesterday was complete bust, ever game I played was lost because the rest of the team was uncoordinated and running at building to die instantly. #bf

I saw a kid get handed a JB poster by who I presume was his parents outside my store today....he tore it in half infront of his horrified parents.....There's hope for our youth yet!
  • Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I use the AT rifle for countersniping

because it's hilarious

• Options
    Warcry wrote: »

because it's hilarious

It is really nice to spot the sniper then Obliterate the wall he's using as cover and kill him in the process.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    ToyD wrote: »

because it's hilarious

It is really nice to spot the sniper then Obliterate the wall he's using as cover and kill him in the process.

I just go for direct bodyshots. Still getting the bullet drop memorized, but god damn the thing can out-snipe anyone if you're good with it.
    I did go absolutely ham with it in Amiens, remodelling enemy terrain and getting like 3 kills per shot by firing it into buildings at random.

In other news, fuck yeah gas grenades. Chuck em, throw on the gas mask and storm that shit with the M97.

• Options
    ToyD wrote: »

because it's hilarious

I just go for direct bodyshots. Still getting the bullet drop memorized, but god damn the thing can out-snipe anyone if you're good with it.
    I did go absolutely ham with it in Amiens, remodelling enemy terrain and getting like 3 kills per shot by firing it into buildings at random.

In other news, fuck yeah gas grenades. Chuck em, throw on the gas mask and storm that shit with the M97.

One thing I've noticed about smoke/gas and smoke in particular, from outside the cloud you can see a good way into it, but inside the cloud you can't see ANYTHING. I tried to hide in the cloud several times only to be dropped by someone who could clearly see me from outside the cloud. I couldn't even see my own gun so I was like wth. I just avoid them now.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Gas grenades are why I am considering sticking with the Trench BAR for the better hipfire instead of the Storm variant (once I unlock it) for better ADS accuracy.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Gas grenades are why I am considering sticking with the Trench BAR for the better hipfire instead of the Storm variant (once I unlock it) for better ADS accuracy.
    I've been playing a lot more operations and yeah, I'm strongly considering adding some Trench models to my Support kits because HOLY HELL THAT'S A LOT OF GAS.

It's kinda terrifying when you consider that that's basically what WW1 looked like. Just rolling clouds of mustard gas fucking everyone up.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Operations is my new favorite way to play but I have a hell of a time getting into a match. Hope it's because of matchmaking bugs and not because people don't like it.

Last one we won as the attackers, needing only one reserve battallion. At least half the sets of objectives were taken when we were down to 10 or so tickets. It was amazing and exhausting gameplay

Mulletude on
    XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpLuLK66oAI
    I had a feeling the bayonet had drawbacks and YUP! TOTALLY DOES!

@Waka Laka
    You should jump onto the PA Discord and play with PA bros. It's waaaay more fun that way and makes life a lot easier.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I'm on the at rocket gun leg of this Order of the Iron Cross medal thing and I'm having a blast (hehe) taking out infantry with it.

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    I just spent the vast majority of a match shelling dudes with a fortress gun and oh boy let me tell you what fun that was!

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    I have revised my favorite tank. While I love the flamethrower tank, I can't seem to get people to stay in the flamethrower seats. Heavy breakthrough tank however is a beast with its main gun and canister shells plus the extras and 4 good seats! I love it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Hopefully more fun than using the bunker turrets on Monte Grappa? Despite their size, the splash damage on them are anemic.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    @TOGSolid what are those drawbacks for someone currently in a no-video environment

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    @TOGSolid what are those drawbacks for someone currently in a no-video environment

Longer time to ADS after sprinting and slightly increases recoil effects.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Maaaaaannnnnnn, the 1903 Experimental would be amusing as hell to use if it wasn't for the fuckawful iron sights. It'd be like the BF1 VSS Vintorez equivalent but the irons are SO BAD. What a let down :(

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    MandresMandres Registered User regular
    Just finished playing my 2nd hour on the 10 hour demo. So far, honestly, I hate it. It's far too chaotic to be enjoyable for me. The last BF game I played was BF2 so I've been away from the series for a long time. I don't like the direction it's gone at all.

I have no idea where I'm going or what I'm doing. Every single death was to infantry enemies I can't see camping in the distance or in some crater around the blind corner on these claustrophobic maps. There is so much shit going on I can't get my bearings or make any sense of it all. I'm finding it really frustrating and not fun. Maybe I'm just getting old...

Is there no way to host your own sever just to try to learn the maps? I'd love to try driving a tank or plane - so far I haven't seen a single one available so I haven't been able to.

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I'm starting to feel the same. All in all, I'm not that enthused with the general combat going on. An engagement is usually just settled on range/kit equation on contact, and then if any other soldiers are there to follow up. If you've got the advantage, you can easily win the firefight, but then almost immediately get aced by the next enemy thats usually nearby. At most, you can get the drop on a few guys, but then it never really feels like there's much impact what with squadspawns, medics rezings, and guys falling out of the sky, and the lack of spawning waevs. An area is basically never 'cleared' on a 64 player server, there's always people trickling in.
    Right now, I keep comparing things to Red Orchestra2/Rising Storm, and that game is just so much more interesting to play from a combat perspective. In that I get killed all the time from knowwhere, but I know its because the other guy was in a batter position and actually SAW me, instead of just shooting at an icon.

Maybe once custom servers open up there will be more interesting game modes, as I thought hardcore in bf3/4 was way more compelling than vanillia. Spotting is a cool mechanic in theory, but in reality it just exasperates the "wtf, i got shot by 10 people and I had no idea where they were" feeling. As soon as the enemy team gets an eyeball on you, you're a magnet for fire no matter how good your maneuvering skills are. Actually playing the game gets way less stupid with it turned off.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    McGibs wrote: »
    I'm starting to feel the same. All in all, I'm not that enthused with the general combat going on. An engagement is usually just settled on range/kit equation on contact, and then if any other soldiers are there to follow up. If you've got the advantage, you can easily win the firefight, but then almost immediately get aced by the next enemy thats usually nearby. At most, you can get the drop on a few guys, but then it never really feels like there's much impact what with squadspawns, medics rezings, and guys falling out of the sky, and the lack of spawning waevs. An area is basically never 'cleared' on a 64 player server, there's always people trickling in.
    Right now, I keep comparing things to Red Orchestra2/Rising Storm, and that game is just so much more interesting to play from a combat perspective. In that I get killed all the time from knowwhere, but I know its because the other guy was in a batter position and actually SAW me, instead of just shooting at an icon.

Maybe once custom servers open up there will be more interesting game modes, as I thought hardcore in bf3/4 was way more compelling than vanillia. Spotting is a cool mechanic in theory, but in reality it just exasperates the "wtf, i got shot by 10 people and I had no idea where they were" feeling. As soon as the enemy team gets an eyeball on you, you're a magnet for fire no matter how good your maneuvering skills are. Actually playing the game gets way less stupid with it turned off.

I'm a huge RO1 fan and have been enjoying the combat here so far after dying ignobly in the chaos of combat. While compared to RO, it's harder to run from piece of cover to piece of cover due to the spotting mechanic, the converse is that people have short attention spans when looking for you. If you can hide out of the way until people look elsewhere, I find people have moved on and i'm able to execute on the flank or lateral movement I was trying for. Some of it is getting used to the maps, also.

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    You can play part of the SP in the demo. Give that a shot.

As much as I love this game I can see how it just may not vibe with people though.

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Once you learn the maps, the frontlines that form can generally be seen. Some maps are better for this, such as how Argonne Forest tends to have very distinct fronts due to the hills and bunkers funneling people through corridors, while others are worse, such as Sinai (which is so open that it's a clusterfuck of people madly driving around points).

I do prefer RO2's gameplay, but I've given up hope of something like it ever being made again.

• Options
    I've grown pretty fond of this one. Some days it's spawn right into a tank or bayonet repeatedly, some days it's 18-2 domination. My biggest issue is that I cannot fly planes to save my life. I've tried in every bf game. I can fly well enough to not hit the ground and that's about it. I never last in combat.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    luckily, RO2 still has a very healthy online community. I hope Rising Storm 2 Vietnam is a winner (I played a few minutes at a PAX, but didnt really get enough to form an opinion)

Wasnt one of the BF1 game modes supposed to be air combat shinnangins ala Battlefront? I'd love to dick around in that, or something with more tanks. Hell, 64 people multi-crewing a bunch of landships would be awesome.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    I'm suuuuuuuuper hoping they put Classic mode in this. It'll fix so many of the issues y'all are mentioning.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    What's the dealeo with classic mode?

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    http://battlefield.wikia.com/wiki/Classic_Mode
    3D spotting is disabled: spotting does not display a red triangle above enemies. Spotted enemies are only marked on the minimap.
    Players are not revealed on the map when firing their weapon.
    No health regeneration. Players must use a Medkit or First Aid Pack to regain health.
    No vehicle armor regeneration.
    Team killing (friendly fire) is enabled.
    Spawn only on squad leader or friendly spawn point (control point, transport vehicle, or spawn beacon).
    When reloading, the magazine is dropped and any remaining ammo in it is lost.
    Third-person vehicle view is disabled.
    Killcam is disabled. (Kill card is still shown.)

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I will say the flow of combat in this game is different. I rarely ever have games where one team locks down all the objectives (with the exception of Argonne which seems to generally result in a German steamroll due to their high ground over C) which is a good thing to an extent. But man, I get so sick of taking our native capture points right outside of our spawn only to have somebody start taking it again before I'm half way to the next zone. I don't understand how people are moving that much and that fast across the field and so I spend most of my match sweeping out one or two guys from back area flags, seeing that flag x I just took 3 minutes ago is getting taken and running back to that ad nauseum.

There are usually two or three points that naturally attract most of the fighting (C and D on Empire's Edge or C and B on FAO Fortress for example) so instead of having a frontline per say you end up with pockets of fighting while the stragglers run back and forth and around the rest of the stuff. It's understandable when your team wants to focus solely on those areas because that's where the action is and nobody wants to hoof it back to the other end of the map but it's gets really frustrating when nobody seems to care that all of our objectives are being taken out from behind us.

• Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    @Waka Laka
    You should jump onto the PA Discord and play with PA bros. It's waaaay more fun that way and makes life a lot easier.

How does one enter the den of discord, sir?

Also are there Aussies?

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    There's ANZAC in the singleplayer I think, because they watched Gallipoli.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    Played the Operation that starts out in the Alps. Was a meat grinder busting down the locked doors and flushing the rooms out to cap the points.

We finally take the final fort and Victory! Wait. No. A whole new map.

I knew this happened but with no reserves heading into it it made me realize that these would be far better with just one map or more reserves or just fewer segments. Have won 2 as attacker but this last one made me wonder how that ever happened

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Man, even up clowe tue Automatico will only get one or two kills before a reload.

And at a distance? Mag dump. You run out of ammo so fast, and that empty reload speed is a killer.

Its a fun gun, but man does it have its draw backs.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    40 player Operations is so much less clusterfucky than 64, it feels a lot better. Sways can actually happen, and one team can outmanouver another.
    With 64, because there's no wave based respawns, its just constant tug of war, and thats way too many people to cram into 1/4th of a map at a time.

BF1 should have respawn waves every 45-60 seconds, and then while you wait, you can drop down artillery/smoke/gas on the battlefield, or man machineguns/AA off to the sides of the map or something. How stupid cool would it be where every respawn played out like a sector-control on operation. whistle blows, and a dozen guys rush forward screaming.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    I've been killed by far to many Mp 18s in rush....

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    GET DOWN MR. PRESIDENT!

https://gfycat.com/HelpfulDesertedDobermanpinscher

Highlight of today's games.

'nother one:

https://gfycat.com/ThunderousGraveGermanshepherd

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    I tried out the MLE 1903 tonight. Its impossible to lose your target, but it looks an feels so weak.

I also wanted something nicer for my scout, so I tried out the Bordeo 1889. This thing was fun. Up close you can hipfire for reliable 2 shot kills. I couldn't get the feeling for ads fire, and between that and the slow reload its not want I was looking for. Up next is the Mars Automatic.

Although look at the stats, the 1911 may just be the best all rounder.

JusticeforPluto on
  • Options
    Waka Laka wrote: »

Also are there Aussies?

I am Aussie. Add Warcry616 on Origin.