As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We finally have free time to work on our [Gunpla] Thread

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Barbatos just smooshed it's mace and sword into one weapon.

Brilliant.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    What did they do to my precious guison

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Angles son!

His next form will look like an early 3d PS1 game.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    What did they do to my precious guison

Beat enough shit out of it in the season finale that it had to get a fresh new look!

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    We're also getting more Build Fighters, trailer went up on the gumdaminfo YouTube channel.

Don't know if it's a movie or new season but 1) it's continuing off Try so I don't care and 2) there's some neat suits in there. Souped up version of Portent, and some kind of crazy Gyan.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    We're also getting more Build Fighters, trailer went up on the gumdaminfo YouTube channel.

Don't know if it's a movie or new season but 1) it's continuing off Try so I don't care and 2) there's some neat suits in there. Souped up version of Portent, and some kind of crazy Gyan.

OVA.

Also, there's going to be a Build Fighters 1 OVA, apparently, but nothing beyond "It'll exist" has been announced yet.

More importantly, there's more IBO kits!

I really like the Gundam with shoulder cannons and the Tekkadan grunt suit. Really moving up in the world if they've got their own mobile suit design.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    In a move that shocked no one...

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    The next season of IBO will see 16 new High Grade kits being released.

My wallet is fucked.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    Yeah Amazon just has multiple listings for various kits, for whatever reason

But you can definitely get the standard MG Unicorn for <$50: https://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Hobby-Unicorn-Version-100-Master/dp/B0037V099G/

Not a good idea, though, since the MG Unicorn is infamous for both brickiness and fragility. The transformation is not... easily managed.

@chiasaur11 they fixed it! The Unicorn Ver Ka is the trouble kit. The OVA Ver has totally replaced it, making the original Ver Ka kinda hard to find (but less desired anyway) and there's a second version of that updated one with better colours called the HD Ver + MS Cage.

I believe Full Armour Unicorn Ver Ka also uses the updated runners that fixed it, but not 100% sure. Also, funnily enough, Sinanju Ver Ka has been replaced with Sinanju OVA, which also fixed some problems, tho I think that was polycap related.

HEY speaking of unwieldy fragile monsters, I am about 75% done with Koto's Metal Gear Sahelanthropus!

R5XKY8ul.jpg

Unff. I love this guy's double jointed knees. Combined with the weird REX style head, it conjures up images of Giger's Alien. It's also huge. But it is hecka awkward to snap the modules together. There's no good place to apply pressure to get the upper body to snap into the lower, for example. And I feel like if I dropped it, it'd explode into a billion pieces.

But it's still the most excited I've been to be building a gunpla in a while. Soon he will be complete, and I will be ready to pull him back apart for airbrushing! (note the dumb dental floss poking out from certain plates. Cause they gotta be pulled out, but would actually have been impossible to remove once inserted)

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    The MG Full Armor Unicorn Gundam Ver Ka uses the OVA revision.

• Options

But you can definitely get the standard MG Unicorn for <$50: https://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Hobby-Unicorn-Version-100-Master/dp/B0037V099G/

Not a good idea, though, since the MG Unicorn is infamous for both brickiness and fragility. The transformation is not... easily managed.

@chiasaur11 they fixed it! The Unicorn Ver Ka is the trouble kit. The OVA Ver has totally replaced it, making the original Ver Ka kinda hard to find (but less desired anyway) and there's a second version of that updated one with better colours called the HD Ver + MS Cage.

I believe Full Armour Unicorn Ver Ka also uses the updated runners that fixed it, but not 100% sure. Also, funnily enough, Sinanju Ver Ka has been replaced with Sinanju OVA, which also fixed some problems, tho I think that was polycap related.

HEY speaking of unwieldy fragile monsters, I am about 75% done with Koto's Metal Gear Sahelanthropus!

R5XKY8ul.jpg

Unff. I love this guy's double jointed knees. Combined with the weird REX style head, it conjures up images of Giger's Alien. It's also huge. But it is hecka awkward to snap the modules together. There's no good place to apply pressure to get the upper body to snap into the lower, for example. And I feel like if I dropped it, it'd explode into a billion pieces.

But it's still the most excited I've been to be building a gunpla in a while. Soon he will be complete, and I will be ready to pull him back apart for airbrushing! (note the dumb dental floss poking out from certain plates. Cause they gotta be pulled out, but would actually have been impossible to remove once inserted)

I really want to start work on my REX. I've had it for a year but I wanted to wait until my airbrush setup was ready.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    GR_Zombie wrote: »

R5XKY8ul.jpg

I really want to start work on my REX. I've had it for a year but I wanted to wait until my airbrush setup was ready.

REX is a brilliant kit. Built like a brick. ;D

There's a new version of it coming out in October too! MGS4 version, when it's wrecked and has to fight RAY.

Metal-Gear-Rex-Kotobukiya-1.jpg

I was all set to scratch build parts for my own REX to make a custom of this, and the day I start painting this got announced. :tell_me_more:

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Looking at the Barbatos Lupus sword all I can picture is one of those LARP swords. Now I imagine the Barbatos running around in the woods yelling "TEN DAMAGE!" over and over.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    Looking at the Barbatos Lupus sword all I can picture is one of those LARP swords. Now I imagine the Barbatos running around in the woods yelling "TEN DAMAGE!" over and over.

Not a club, the Dragonslayer, or a baseball bat?

Because I see a baseball bat. Juvenile delinquency seems more Mika's speed than LARP.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    It is complete. Today is the day weapons learned to walk upright!

vbzPfZBl.jpg

This has been my favourite gunpla build ever. It is da bes. <3

But holy shit is it busted in terms of balance. That railgun is as heavy as it looks, and wants to pull the whole model over. They knew this was a problem early on, as the prototypes have an extra stand just for it. I have a spare Koto stand, maybe I can rig up some kinda prop for it, but it sure would be nice to have that officially handled.

I tried recreating the concept art for it, having the gun aim over the shoulder. Not recommended - did not feel safe to let go. ;P

0kHNXIll.jpg

Another solution is maybe adding weight to the radome on the other side? It is hollow, tho I puttied it shut to try and get rid of the seam... could drill a hole in and add some grams. Then I worry the whole backpack might just tear itself off. ;P

I would say this kit, tho heavily (heh) flawed, is worth the extra cost. To me. But I am a huge mark for this particular mech. For someone with less of a profound fascination with this particular mech... it's not as well built as (I'm told) the Gundam Perfect Grades are. I'm glad the upcoming battle damaged MG REX is back down to $60ish rather than this one's $100.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    GotLoveGotLove It's a shame, she really liked his waggly eyebrows. Many Britons find this amusing.Registered User regular
    I've just ordered the MG Turn A and a HG Gundam Unicorn Banshee. They should arrive... oh... Saturday, July 23 - Saturday, August 13.

I don't know anything about the Banshee but I has a claw hand so I was sold. I haven't built anything since before Christmas so I'm looking forward to these. Also ordered a gray gundam marker so I can finally get my MG Astray Red Frame Kai panelled and top coated.

I am tempted to pick up a Tamiya weathering kit to weather the Turn A as I think it will suit it. I've looked at a few guides and the weathering looks fairly straight forward but how easy is it to mess up the kits to a point it's not possible to recover from?

• Options
    GotLove wrote: »
    I've just ordered the MG Turn A and a HG Gundam Unicorn Banshee. They should arrive... oh... Saturday, July 23 - Saturday, August 13.

I don't know anything about the Banshee but I has a claw hand so I was sold. I haven't built anything since before Christmas so I'm looking forward to these. Also ordered a gray gundam marker so I can finally get my MG Astray Red Frame Kai panelled and top coated.

I am tempted to pick up a Tamiya weathering kit to weather the Turn A as I think it will suit it. I've looked at a few guides and the weathering looks fairly straight forward but how easy is it to mess up the kits to a point it's not possible to recover from?

If the Banshee is anything like my Unicorn, the elbow joints are pretty loose, like to pop out when you're posing it. It's a simple peg connection though, so they're easy to slot back in once you get the upper arm where you want it. Did you get Unicorn mode or Destroy Mode?

I'm probably going to pick up a Banshee Norn in the future, love that giant shield.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    I'm going to have a hard time not picking up the PG Unicorn at Comic Con if Bluefin has them. I'm gonna do everything I can to get the Revive RX-78 G3. I gotta make a list...

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    GotLoveGotLove It's a shame, she really liked his waggly eyebrows. Many Britons find this amusing.Registered User regular
    Destroy mode, looking at the order.

I don't tend to play with them a huge amount once they're built so hopefully the dislocating elbows won't be an issue. They just sit on a shelf and stare menacingly at anyone that enters my living room.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    My Gaplant fell over, but I'm keeping it that way because it looks like it just slipped on a banana peel.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    My Gaplant fell over, but I'm keeping it that way because it looks like it just slipped on a banana peel.

Curiously enough "gaplant" is the exact onomatopoeia for a giant robot who has just slipped on a banana peel.

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »

I am saddened that I couldn't find a good video of someone slipping on a banana peel set to Yakety Sax.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Looks like the next season if iron blood will continue the tradition of draining my wallet with awesome gunpla kits:

spoilers for designs from next season:
    2016y07m12d_122330764-600x528.jpg

2016y07m12d_122335997-600x454.jpg

2016y07m12d_122341048-600x522.jpg

Oh I like the look of that second one a lot

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I really wish these IBO kits came with another pair of hands. I've lost one of the hand back plates on a Graze and now it can never hold anything in that hand again.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Give the second one the third one's legs and i'm sold

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    I don't know, I kind of like the look of the reverse articulated legs on the second one. Not something you see in much Gundam.

• Options
    I really wish these IBO kits came with another pair of hands. I've lost one of the hand back plates on a Graze and now it can never hold anything in that hand again.

You can buy boxes of hands in various poses. They won't match the look exactly, but it's better than nothing!

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Do they have IBO hands? I've found that some hands don't fit well on other kits.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Do they have IBO hands? I've found that some hands don't fit well on other kits.

http://hlj.com/product/BANN01503/Gun

These are the ones I was thinking of. They came out after the Build-Fighters-inspired move towards standardizing connecting parts for gunpla, so they should fit fine, though I don't know for certain

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    Give the second one the third one's legs and i'm sold

Buy both, pop and swap, repaint. Simple.

And IBO is going to have some hands in one of the upcoming weapon packs for season 2, so if all else fails you can wait for those.

• Options

Tim, I have a section of my spare bits devoted to nothing but hands. I can find a few pair, check the fit against by Graze, and take pictures with them on so you can see how they look. Then mail you what you like.

Also I just ordered the 1/24 Scale Gundam Astray Red Frame Bust. Really looking forward to doing an all-out paint job on it.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Hoping that there will be a normal green Zaku II HG in the Origin or Revive line soonish. All the HG Zakus I'm seeing are pretty old.

• Options
    Saw this linked over at The Brothers Brick, and thought I'd share.
    11my7obl9pzd.png
    Cause that's some damned impressive LeGonPla going on there.

Zaku.png 568.8K
  • Options
    EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    Providence Gundam (DEVA Custom)
    r5qhyvqu1hab.jpg
    vybfwnjg6y9e.jpg
    83jm6ypzy69l.jpg
    m7up9mwy8a5i.jpg
    Haven't put on the topcoat yet

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Whoa, love the look of that one.

• Options
    Ordered a pair of fancy hobby nippers off Amazon. Should arrive Monday. Then, building the Turn A.

All laundry will fear its might!

• Options
    Not really plamo related, but I had this idea kicking around in my head for a while and I finally pulled the trigger today. I picked up a $1 treasure chest and some craft foam and started work on a Mimic!

WIP shot
    mlrrnn9puhpt.jpg

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    beautiful

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    G Bouncer
    trbsx8cu4n3c.jpg
    Is just as awesome as I'd hoped it would be.
    42btsagmtat6.jpg
    u9ub46jxrcz1.jpg
    ww7lc0zhukco.jpg
    copru9idrxu8.jpg
    10/10 Leg Articulation and General Aesthetic

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    AGE had some okay designs

At least even if a gundam is bad we typically get some good gunpla out of it

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
This discussion has been closed.