As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We finally have free time to work on our [Gunpla] Thread

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    That model is great but suuuuuper delicate and infuriating to pose

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    So I've decided to try and get back into model building

And I got this sucker

TOY-RBT-3396_01.jpg

But there were a lot of small moving parts involved and I felt I was probably pretty rusty so I got a smaller one to get my legs back

Untitled-61.jpg

I had forgotten how easy it is to fall down a rabbit hole with these things

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Char's Zaku?

Nice. The origin model is a fine little kit.

On an unrelated note, the mook suits from the next Gundam series have had price announcements, and, if they're accurate, I might have to army build.

They cost less than Hi-Mocks.

I have no idea how this is going to work.

• Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    What the h? Hope they don't cut too many corners to get there.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    MegaMek wrote: »
    What the h? Hope they don't cut too many corners to get there.

Apparently, it was a typo on the site I was checking.

Looks like it'll be 1080 yen instead of 760.

Still pretty cheap, probably under 15 bucks on Amazon when it comes out, but not insane Hi-Mock prices.

• Options
    Oh, that's more reasonable. I haven't seen anything of the new show; I wasn't really impressed by the last 2 but they both had some cool robots at least.

• Options
    Oh, that's more reasonable. I haven't seen anything of the new show; I wasn't really impressed by the last 2 but they both had some cool robots at least.

Well, the main Gundam for the new show will have a complete inner frame on the high grade. It's got that going for it at least.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular

Here's the Gundam for the new show, Barbatos.

BV1VYdQ.jpg

According to a brief description I read, it seems to borrow a little from Turn-A Gundam in that it's a relic from a war centuries ago. Except instead of being buried in a mountain, it was being used as a power source by a PMC on Mars until the lead protagonist decides to use it in order to stop an attack.

• Options
    Wow, and it comes with a full inner frame? Definitely picking that up when it hits the shelves :mrgreen:

• Options
    Wow, and it comes with a full inner frame? Definitely picking that up when it hits the shelves :mrgreen:

That's the 1/100, but yeah. Even the 1/144 is going to have an inner frame, ready to swap in armor from other kits.

It looks neat.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    I really dig that design. If that's where they're taking the art direction for the new show, I'll be keeping an eye out for sure.

Checked out the gundam wiki entry for the new show. The Graze is too cool for me to handle.

MegaMek on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Is the show the one I made fun of saying it looked like a mash up of Front Mission and gundam?

• Options
    That sounds awesome to me.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    the beam saber blade on this RX-78-2 is way to long and looks kinda ridiculous.

Also as cool as this is I think I'm done with RG kits. If I get any more I'll stick to HG.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    the beam saber blade on this RX-78-2 is way to long and looks kinda ridiculous.

Also as cool as this is I think I'm done with RG kits. If I get any more I'll stick to HG.

Just so you know, the RX-78 is widely considered the worst RG. Most of them aren't that fiddly and fragile.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Finished the Wing Gundam Proto Zero MG.
    Is there anything I can do to strengthen the hip connection? The legs fall off if I look at this thing cross eyed.

All in all, a fun build. So many tiny, tiny pieces.
    64cbph328931.jpg

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    The GM's like "must you do that?"

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

"Come on Bob, I was here, I had this shit taken care of. Did you really have to come in with the wings and the double beam rifle that's taller than I am and everything? Shit, you're doing that hovering thing again... Seriously?"

"Just go with it..."

• Options
    see317 wrote: »

"Come on Bob, I was here, I had this shit taken care of. Did you really have to come in with the wings and the double beam rifle that's taller than I am and everything? Shit, you're doing that hovering thing again... Seriously?"

"Just go with it..."

Tonight, on
    ANGEL SUMMONER AND BMX BANDIT!

• Options
    KongoKongo Registered User regular
    Huh, I always wondered why there wasn't a place for modelers on PA forums (I'm more established on Deviant Art while mostly a lurker here).... Cool to see I'm not the only one here who digs this stuff. My first Gundam kit was the original 1/100 RX-78 (before it was called "RX-78-02") kit that I built in 1982 (yeah, I'm old). So here's my latest and greatest, using the Elyn 1/100 kit and with custom decals I had produced by Samueldecal. I'm pretty much the super fan of Elpeo Ple (and her clones) and own original production cels of her and Ple Two. So yeah, I spend a lot of time building Ple mecha among other things...

6fa5ygehreuf.jpg

I've spent entirely too much time coming up with an alternate timeline backstory as to how Ple would still be alive to pilot this thing instead of Ple Twelve. :P

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    holy shit
    the kit itself is amazing, and that's a very nice paint job too

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    that's a pretty sweet Kshatriya

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Oh lord. I don't even want to click my stuff together now. That said, I think i may have misjudged how big some things might be....
    eu6kku6goq88.jpg

That would be a tiny gouf and zogok fighting over who has to go sabotage the new guy before I can get him put together.

• Options
    Thanks guys. I was on a "candy color" paint scheme kick for a while and also did Ple's Qubeley, Ple Two's Qubeley, and the G-System 1/72 Kshatriya like this (with different color schemes each, of course).
    "Candy" is basically a metallic base color with a tinted clear coat over it. The problem with this process is that you end up needing a LOT of layers of paint. In this case, gloss black primer, metallic color (usually Gaia Star Bright Silver), shading, 12 layers of purple, layers for other colors (greys, etc.) then decals and washes over that, and finally a matte coat to seal it all in. So, for every purple part you see on this damn thing, there's at least 16 layers of paint, which is why it took an ETERNITY to build. So yeah, I'm never doing that again...

I build pretty much everything mecha: as with some of y'all, Zoids, Maschinen Krieger, etc. I also build ships, tanks, planes, cars, whatever. Do you mostly just build mecha, or do you venture out into other modeling categories? WoT and Garupan brought more modelers into tanks, and KanColle is set to do the same thing for ships with Fujimi releasing pre-colored kits of the Yamato and Shimakaze for a more Gunpla-like experience (Max Factory is bundling the Shimakaze kit with a figure of the ship girl version as an added bonus)...
    WRT ships, here's my 1/350 IJN Kongo from a few years ago...
    x299zxecqviq.jpg

Sorry for the rambling... I'm just happy to see other builders here on PA.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    What is considered the best HG GM kit? I like the basic ground pounders more than the crazy hero units.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited August 2015
    The 0083 version is pretty nice. I have one, and it's solid. Also, the Sniper II custom from Build Fighters is good. Comes with a load of weapons (including matching pistols!) and a cool dog drone thing. Also, I'm quite partial to the original, tho it's not a great kit these days.

Oh, and this one, also from Build Fighters. I have one I haven't opened yet because I hate the yellow and I don't have the time to paint it atm.

MegaMek on
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Oh man I think the yellow cardigan looks pretty sweet. Added to wish list. To keep it basic you could just not bother with the extra/guns/shields I guess. But then I like the Freedom because hell yea giant robots need a lot of wing...things.
    Also just a little panel lining on that guy would make it pop super easily.
    And if you are set on a good guy this won't be helpful, but I know the char zaku while not a straight grunt is considered an awesome HG.

QuantumTurk on
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Aww I was hoping the original was was still okay. That 0083 one is neat though!

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    Aww I was hoping the original was was still okay. That 0083 one is neat though!

Sadly, the original GM is a bit rubbish. Bad articulation, weak sculpt, beam toothpick. Even when it came out it was below average, and it came out over a decade ago.

Fortunately, the GM II and GM Thunderbolt look pretty similar and are pretty solid.

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    The GM III is pretty good too, if you don't mind the missile pods on the shoulders

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    the Cold District GM from 0080 is one of my favorite GM designs, it's an older kit but it cleans up real nice

1484.jpg

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    The GM III is pretty good too, if you don't mind the missile pods on the shoulders

You can remove those, too. The GM III is one of the best mass production models. Then again, I'm kind of a sucker for Feddie grunts. Got... well, I have a lot of them. Not counting p-bandai and recolors, I'd go as far as to say I have most of them.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Seig Zeon
    rVXnyrx.jpg?1
    TrjYoVG.jpg?1

wanna get a vernier kit to embellish that command Gelgoog a little.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    oh god now I'm noticing all of the nubs I missed.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    ooooh, rick dom ii

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    edited August 2015
    @Kongo that is so awesome I added it to the OP.

(Also if you think someone's work is worthy of adding to the OP just PM me and I will likely do so!)

EDIT: I really should work on my Rick-Dom II. I think I am just gonna put it together and NOT paint it... just hit it with a matte topcoat or something. Working on the older model I have which requires a ton of painting is getting frustrating since it takes so dang long for parts to dry... Is there some trick to making acrylic paint dry faster?

GM EDIT: I have the Gm Sniper II as my on-deck build Kongo mentions in the post below.

Curly_Brace on
  • Options
    WRT GMs, I'm kinda partial to the vanilla GM Sniper II (RGM-79SP). Very clean lines and fairly basic "gruntish" appearance overall, and the HGBF version MegaMek linked above is a nice upgrade.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Which company's acrylics are you using? It's kind of a gamble with drying times because if they dry too fast, they become very hard to paint with without visible brush marks or clogging the airbrush. But a quick and dirty way to lower the drying time is to remove some of the thinning agent (either solvent or water depending on the paint) before stirring the paint or shaking it up. Again, your mileage may vary on usability, as this will also make the overall paint thicker...

Kongo on
  • Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Kongo wrote: »
    Which company's acrylics are you using? It's kind of a gamble with drying times because if they dry too fast, they become very hard to paint with without visible brush marks or clogging the airbrush. But a quick and dirty way to lower the drying time is to remove some of the thinning agent (either solvent or water depending on the paint) before stirring the paint or shaking it up. Again, your mileage may vary on usability, as this will also make the overall paint thicker...

I don't have an airbrush, at least not yet. I am using rattle cans, and I imagine the amount of solvent/propellant increases with each use of the can...

• Options
    Ah I see. Yeah, with rattle cans, you're kinda stuck with the drying times as-is since you can't mess with thinning ratios. And unfortunately, building a paint drying box is pretty much out of the questions since the inherent heat involved may melt the model...

This discussion has been closed.