As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[sysadmin] sexy.code = new.underpants.required

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    When I walked in yesterday, my boss, who works several states away from me and I had never met, was just sorta.. here. So that was a shock. He didn't tell anyone he was coming, which initially I felt was a bit ominous. When your supervisor drops in unannounced, you can't help but worry. I don't feel I have any concerns, but still, it was a touch alarming.

Turns out it was just for some unrelated manager meetings. But, today we're doing this team building thing. So that sounds kinda cool.

Cog on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    That's pretty cool.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    Depending on who you are grouped with, that looks awesome. I can think of about half of the staff here that I would regret instantly being locked away with.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    Depending on who you are grouped with, that looks awesome. I can think of about half of the staff here that I would regret instantly being locked away with.

The secretaries here would immediately belly ache with being forced to do actual work that is hard, and think critically about something instead of badly following hand written instructions and ignoring half the rules on it.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    There is not a single person in my office I would want to go through that with.

But friends and family? Yeah, that'd be awesome.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    When I walked in yesterday, my boss, who works several states away from me and I had never met, was just sorta.. here. So that was a shock. He didn't tell anyone he was coming, which initially I felt was a bit ominous. When your supervisor drops in unannounced, you can't help but worry. I don't feel I have any concerns, but still, it was a touch alarming.

Turns out it was just for some unrelated manager meetings. But, today we're doing this team building thing. So that sounds kinda cool.

Des Moines or Milwaukee?

Let us know how it is. I am close to one of those.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    "So if I'm the first one out the door, can I lock it?"

• Options

Des Moines or Milwaukee?

Let us know how it is. I am close to one of those.

Des Moines. It was really fun, and was just the other IT staff here whom I get along with very well. They chose the most innocently themed room. We failed, but apparently the room only has about a 30% success rate. I'm actually fucking stoked to go back and try out some of the scary/intense rooms that they said are very much "Saw" inspired.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    wunderbar wrote: »
    there is so much irony because Win10 is 100x better on desktop machines and about 50x worse on 8-10" tablet devices. I have it loaded on My Venue 8 Pro for testing and it is currently a hot mess.

But yea, if Win 10 was stable enough to actually use for work I'd put it on my work machine in a heartbeat.

Using it right now, so far so good.

I have a feeling I'm going to need to go back to windows 7 within a few weeks though.

I really do like "metro as a start menu" concept. Windows 8 would have been the golden child if it had done this.

That is how it has worked from 8 onwards?

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    We did a similiar thing here in Toronto called Escape Rooms.

It was pretty good we did two, both were horror/scary like Saw. One at a train station and the other in an industrial refrigeration centre, they were really well done.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    hmmm there are clownshoes afoot

• Options
    there is so much irony because Win10 is 100x better on desktop machines and about 50x worse on 8-10" tablet devices. I have it loaded on My Venue 8 Pro for testing and it is currently a hot mess.

But yea, if Win 10 was stable enough to actually use for work I'd put it on my work machine in a heartbeat.

I have a feeling I'm going to need to go back to windows 7 within a few weeks though.

I really do like "metro as a start menu" concept. Windows 8 would have been the golden child if it had done this.

You know it didn't.

It was "Here's a full screen window for you with no desktop, oh and it's cumbersome to go back to the desktop, oh and here's some full screen applications that are a pain in the fuck to switch around with, WEEEEEE TABLETS AND PHONES ARE THE FUTURE WEEEEEE!"

It was absolutely not what that picture was like, whatsoever.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Why Users Shouldn't Pretend to be IT #5,298:

Had a user late yesterday come to me in a panic trying to get an Excel spreadsheet to become editable. I take a look, and sure enough you can't make it editable. You can't even perform a Save As. I ask where this came from and am receiving incomplete answers that equate to more like a runaround than the truth. She then hands me a document that she claims she was told how to correct this issue when a specific bank sends these documents. It's a fucking complicated VBscript that she has no business even looking at.

After several minutes of having to dig out the truth as to where this XLS came from (I suspect she thought she was going to get in trouble, which I still don't understand how), it turns out that this file came from an email attachment. It was one of those that contains a link to an encrypted email, which after verification you are then able to obtain the contents (I honestly hate these things, especially the Cisco ones). Basically all that had to be done was click the link and select Save As instead of Open. They had been clicking Open and then were forced to run this VBScript, which is just fucking stupid as all hell. Why would anyone expect a normal user to perform these functions?

Apparently another lady in her department (who is a royal pain in the ass and constantly gives me shit; she's also the one with the annoying script font and gradient in her emails, which I was informally told was part of her culture *cough*bullshit*cough*) told her that the VBScript was the only way to fix the problem and that IT wouldn't be able to help. Yeah, I'm going to make sure that this bites her right in the ass. I was dumbfounded that she did that.

Le_Goat on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    Why Users Shouldn't Pretend to be IT #5,298:

Had a user late yesterday come to me in a panic trying to get an Excel spreadsheet to become editable. I take a look, and sure enough you can't make it editable. You can't even perform a Save As. I ask where this came from and am receiving incomplete answers that equate to more like a runaround than the truth. She then hands me a document that she claims she was told how to correct this issue when a specific bank sends these documents. It's a fucking complicated VBscript that she has no business even looking at.

After several minutes of having to dig out the truth as to where this XLS came from (I suspect she thought she was going to get in trouble, which I still don't understand how), it turns out that this file came from an email attachment. It was one of those that contains a link to an encrypted email, which after verification you are then able to obtain the contents (I honestly hate these things, especially the Cisco ones). Basically all that had to be done was click the link and select Save As instead of Open. They had been clicking Open and then were forced to run this VBScript, which is just fucking stupid as all hell. Why would anyone expect a normal user to perform these functions?

Apparently another lady in her department (who is a royal pain in the ass and constantly gives me shit; she's also the one with the annoying script font and gradient in her emails, which I was informally told was part of her culture *cough*bullshit*cough*) told her that the VBScript was the only way to fix the problem and that IT wouldn't be able to help. Yeah, I'm going to make sure that this bites her right in the ass. I was dumbfounded that she did that.

How can you be so insensitive to Papyrus-Americans?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

You know it didn't.

It was "Here's a full screen window for you with no desktop, oh and it's cumbersome to go back to the desktop, oh and here's some full screen applications that are a pain in the fuck to switch around with, WEEEEEE TABLETS AND PHONES ARE THE FUTURE WEEEEEE!"

"cumbersome to go back to the desktop"

How? By mousing over to the top left corner of the screen and clicking on the tile that slid out? Or by pressing the Windows key on the keyboard? Or by clicking on the desktop tile on the Metro page?

You've had a serious hate-boner for Windows since the RC of 8, but I wouldn't expect you to actually misrepresent a program.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    And to be frank, I've been using Windows 8 since the release preview myself, so since what, 2011? I can count the number of hours I have spent in a full screen metro app in that entire 4 year span on one finger.

That doesn't make windows 8 the best destkop operating system ever, but it is only as bad an experience as you want it to be.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    I realize that part of this is my own fault for not knowing Macs enough, but trying to remotely troubleshoot a custom-built application over the phone with a non-technical Mac user makes me feel so god damn useless

• Options
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I truly hope that one of the exploits has been called Keymaster
    RickMoranis.jpeg

Le_Goat on
  • Options

You know it didn't.

"cumbersome to go back to the desktop"

How? By mousing over to the top left corner of the screen and clicking on the tile that slid out? Or by pressing the Windows key on the keyboard? Or by clicking on the desktop tile on the Metro page?

You've had a serious hate-boner for Windows since the RC of 8, but I wouldn't expect you to actually misrepresent a program.

It was cumbersome and not designed for desktop environments.

Like it's an actual surprise it was changed.

I'm right you're wrong, neener neener neener.

• Options

It's a bit surprising considering OSX is built on a unix kernel.

• Options
    Unix has vulnerabilities. If they built their OS on the kernel but didn't take any steps to secure what they made (and especially the shit they bolted onto the framework), they're going to have their own security gaps.

• Options
    The part that really actually shocked me was
    One of the other key security technologies in OS X is the use of code signing. However, it’s not much of a task to get around that requirement, Wardle said. “The code signing just checks for a signature and if it’s not there, it doesn’t do anything and lets the app run,” he said. “I can unsign a signed app and the loader has no way to stop it from running.”

I mean. What.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Umm. Why even sign code then? I mean that's the point of code signing. . .To stop unsigned code from running.

That's some high level security theater right there and It hurts my brain.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    Much as I do detest referencing CAD, this is highly relevant.

comics-Ctrl%2BAlt%2BDel-mac-mac-vs-pc-487914.jpeg

• Options
    The part that really actually shocked me was
    One of the other key security technologies in OS X is the use of code signing. However, it’s not much of a task to get around that requirement, Wardle said. “The code signing just checks for a signature and if it’s not there, it doesn’t do anything and lets the app run,” he said. “I can unsign a signed app and the loader has no way to stop it from running.”

I mean. What.

The best is that their "make sure those microtransactions don't hijack the system through the signed app" stuff just completely doesn't work.

• Options
    OS X lived for a very long time in the security through obscurity. Yes *nix was fundamentally more secure than the Windows 9x (even through XP) model of allowing everything to run with system level access, but that doesn't mean that *nix doesn't have security holes.

It was just easier and more cost effective to target the system with a 747 sized hole than a 8 seat prop plane hole in it.

Now that the hole in windows is not a 747 anymore and there are more OS X machines in use than ever before, OS X is more of a target, and apple has not been as dilligent at working through security than Microsoft has been.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Oh yeah, I wasn't saying unix was infallible, just that I found it surprising that there was such a gaping hole.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    One of the things about Unix machines is that given they are rarely rebooted there is speculation that many may have transient running malware present in memory

• Options
    So in Maverick they go to fix it and force code to be signed to run but then they put the check in user mode?

It's the clown school of computer security!

• Options
    rwextremerwextreme Registered User regular
    User on the phone, logged in to their PC remotely via Team Viewer. I don't care to listen to her make small talk while working on it so I start to end the call and she says she's going to put me on hold then so she doesn't kick me out of her computer. OK, I'll bite... so I mention it's alright, I don't need her on the phone to work on her computer and she asks aren't you coming in through my land line and you'll get booted if I hang up the phone? I always say there's nothing left for users to surprise me with, and then there it comes.

• Options
    rwextreme wrote: »
    User on the phone, logged in to their PC remotely via Team Viewer. I don't care to listen to her make small talk while working on it so I start to end the call and she says she's going to put me on hold then so she doesn't kick me out of her computer. OK, I'll bite... so I mention it's alright, I don't need her on the phone to work on her computer and she asks aren't you coming in through my land line and you'll get booted if I hang up the phone? I always say there's nothing left for users to surprise me with, and then there it comes.

I've seen that one before, actually.

• Options
    Not really a hard leap to go through.

Dialup was a thing for a lot of us to get on the internet, and people connecting to you used to use dialup.

It's actually pretty logical if you break it down.

• Options
    Not really a hard leap to go through.

Dialup was a thing for a lot of us to get on the internet, and people connecting to you used to use dialup.

It's actually pretty logical if you break it down.

Probably, she was older. But still, dialup hasn't been a thing for nearly anyone for a decade probably. Hell, I haven't used it since I used to boot people off the Lucent Portmaster's we had at my old job a long ass time ago when people were sitting idle for hours and there weren't enough open lines because my employer figured running at capacity during peak hours was acceptable. The same employer who started to offer 6MB DSL city wide yet had just 2 bonded T1's for throughput for both our DSL and dialup subscribers. But hey, those T1's terminated at our corporate datacenter which had a fractal T3 and ~35 other PoP's and about a dozen other municipalities where our DSL was offered terminated as well so you knew you were getting top class Internet access. That was around 2005 or so, was always a treat when a customer who previously had your dialup and switched to your DSL would inquire why it didn't seem much faster.

• Options
    There's a nonzero chance she still uses dialup and AOL at home.

I know of 8 people like this.

2 of them because broadband doesn't come out to where they live, and DSL is slower than dialup (seriously, the boonies, there's Amish out there).

• Options
    There's a nonzero chance she still uses dialup and AOL at home.

I know of 8 people like this.

2 of them because broadband doesn't come out to where they live, and DSL is slower than dialup (seriously, the boonies, there's Amish out there).

Perhaps... well shit. Does anyone know the AOL keyboard for Team Viewer just in case I ever have to help her with her home PC and save myself some hassle of describing how to enter a URL?

• Options
    AOL still has 2.2 million dialup subscribers, and they make up a significant portion of AOL's revenue.

http://qz.com/342954/aol-still-has-2-2-million-dialup-subscribers-and-theyre-getting-more-profitable/

• Options
    edited April 2015
    rwextreme wrote: »

But it makes me wonder who she's thought she's had to call while she surfs websites.

Cog on
  • Options
    Never doubt the ignorance of a user. I still have people here who don't know the difference between a laptop or projector / a copier or a printer. I still don't understand how people don't know what a taskbar is. I've been telling them to insert task on the taskbar for over 11 years and they still have no clue what I'm talking about.

• Options
    at my current job it took me a few days to realize that when the users were asking for access to "servers" they meant network shares. They literally call every single shared folder we have a server. I was clicking around our various VMware boxes for a couple hours looking for a "fieldservice" server for someone before I figured out it was just a network share.

I gave up trying to educate otherwise after about a month, it was a losing battle.

This discussion has been closed.