Options

[sysadmin] sexy.code = new.underpants.required

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    How I love when people come to IT and demand things that won't change anything.

We _must_ give the contractor the non-guest wifi password because he keeps on getting kicked off the server.

Perhaps it's because the other contractors are getting into the server and bumping him off?

Can we get another license for the server so he won't get bumped off?

Sure, it's their managed server so when they want to pony up the dough for that, go right ahead.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    rwextreme wrote: »
    I love it when our corporate attorney has me perform some tasks for him and 2/3's of the way through he mentions he'll probably have to have me sign an affidavit. What? No thanks.

At my old job, I was the one who performed all the legal discovery. Go fucking figure that out.

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Colorado man cited for killing uncooperative computer.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/04/21/us-usa-colorado-computer-idUSKBN0NC28R20150421

We've all been there.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    Let me guess. Black case?

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    I love when non-technical people are running a meeting and they can't figure out the screen sharing feature.

• Options
    I love when non-technical people are running a meeting and they can't figure out the screen sharing feature.

It's a standing policy here to keep an eye on the exchange calendar for all the conference rooms and check in on them when their conferences start just to hand hold the children through connecting the video conferences and sharing their screens and such.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Mei Hikari wrote: »
    TL DR wrote: »
    ShadowProtect is pretty alright, though its ability to be managed across many clients even with Kaseya is inadequate. If I had one network to manage it would be a breeze.

Have you tried: https://www.storagecraft.com/products/storagecraft-shadowcontrol

N-no

O_O'

TL DR on
  • Options
    NijaNija Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    I love it when our corporate attorney has me perform some tasks for him and 2/3's of the way through he mentions he'll probably have to have me sign an affidavit. What? No thanks.

At my old job, I was the one who performed all the legal discovery. Go fucking figure that out.
    I work at a law firm.

We tell our attorneys to NEVER have the clients self-collect. Have a third-party vendor do the collection, so they can be held accountable. It's why they are charging you so much.

Story time:
    We have a client who is cheap. They do searches on their inbox for anything, To X, From X, etc. etc. Then the client does a manual culling (reading each e-mail and making a determination of it is relevant). The client hands over a few hundred e-mails to the attorney, who hands them over to me. I do my thing (intentionally left vague for reasons) and realize we are missing large portions of e-mail chains. Usually not a large deal, but I have to mention it.

We have also received Plaintiff's first production of document, which include processed e-mails. I do a quick comparison and we do not have any of these e-mails. I include this in my summary to the attorney and send it off. She contacts me the next day and asks my opinion, because she is new to "all this stuff". She tells me she has a funny feeling about the client, and with my findings, she thinks he's lying. I tell her the only way to be sure, is to tell the (insurance) carrier her concerns and ask for authorization of a formal collection of everything.

Long story short: he lied about everything, deleted e-mails and files, moved files to hidden folders and was a all around scumbag. Good thing he preemptively signed his affidavit. He's not in business anymore.

Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    lol wow why did he think he'd even get away with that

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular

It's a standing policy here to keep an eye on the exchange calendar for all the conference rooms and check in on them when their conferences start just to hand hold the children through connecting the video conferences and sharing their screens and such.
    I hate that. It shouldn't become our responsibility to check in on meetings. It should be the responsibility of the organizer to get us prior to the meeting to ensure that everything is ready for them to use. We have plenty of more important things to do than to hover over other people's agendas. Need help? Then ask, because I'm not a mind reader and am far too busy to keep up with your affairs.

And don't get upset when I show irritation if you tell me 2 minutes before the meeting that you need equipment setup for you, because you had plenty of time to let me know.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Nija wrote: »

I work at a law firm.

We tell our attorneys to NEVER have the clients self-collect. Have a third-party vendor do the collection, so they can be held accountable. It's why they are charging you so much.

Story time:
    We have a client who is cheap. They do searches on their inbox for anything, To X, From X, etc. etc. Then the client does a manual culling (reading each e-mail and making a determination of it is relevant). The client hands over a few hundred e-mails to the attorney, who hands them over to me. I do my thing (intentionally left vague for reasons) and realize we are missing large portions of e-mail chains. Usually not a large deal, but I have to mention it.

We have also received Plaintiff's first production of document, which include processed e-mails. I do a quick comparison and we do not have any of these e-mails. I include this in my summary to the attorney and send it off. She contacts me the next day and asks my opinion, because she is new to "all this stuff". She tells me she has a funny feeling about the client, and with my findings, she thinks he's lying. I tell her the only way to be sure, is to tell the (insurance) carrier her concerns and ask for authorization of a formal collection of everything.

Long story short: he lied about everything, deleted e-mails and files, moved files to hidden folders and was a all around scumbag. Good thing he preemptively signed his affidavit. He's not in business anymore.

We had our own in house lawyers, and it was still the IT department that did the discovery.

And our discovery process was to search for anything To or From the parties involved, and dump the entire contents of the relevant departmental network drives, and send it. I'm sure there was some interesting shit that went out in some of those discovery searches. And probably some sensative company info since none of it was culled in any way, which kinda blew my mind.

Cog on
  • Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    At that point you just hope that someone wasn't stupid enough to email an important password to someone else.

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »

I hate that. It shouldn't become our responsibility to check in on meetings. It should be the responsibility of the organizer to get us prior to the meeting to ensure that everything is ready for them to use. We have plenty of more important things to do than to hover over other people's agendas. Need help? Then ask, because I'm not a mind reader and am far too busy to keep up with your affairs.

And don't get upset when I show irritation if you tell me 2 minutes before the meeting that you need equipment setup for you, because you had plenty of time to let me know.
    Well, this particular meeting was one that I was in, and I got there after one of the engineers had already logged in to start the meeting. He's generally one of the more technically savvy people here, so of course he thought he knew what he was doing. He needed to hand off presenter privileges to someone at a remote site, and he kept trying to share the local screen and then pass control of the local PC... I had to tell him three times that he was doing it wrong.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    lol wow why did he think he'd even get away with that

Because when it's deleted it's gone forever and ever.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Daaaaang. My wife just got a new job (She's a kinda sorta BA, kinda IT/IT-adjacent). 20k more than her old job.

Getting our celebrate on tonight.

Cog on
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Daaaaang. My wife just got a new job (She's a kinda sorta BA, kinda IT/IT-adjacent). 20k more than her old job.

Congratulations to her!

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular

That's fantastic!

Everyone, Cog's wife has the first round tonight. Let's all meet at the place.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    The real question is if I can convince her to let me retire now.

• Options
    NijaNija Registered User regular
    Nija wrote: »

I work at a law firm.

Story time:

We had our own in house lawyers, and it was still the IT department that did the discovery.

And our discovery process was to search for anything To or From the parties involved, and dump the entire contents of the relevant departmental network drives, and send it. I'm sure there was some interesting shit that went out in some of those discovery searches. And probably some sensative company info since none of it was culled in any way, which kinda blew my mind.
    I know they do it, does not mean it's the best way to do it.

Did you only collect e-mails? Did they care about the other areas, like DMS, local storage, mobile, fileshare site, etc.? I've noticed that a lot of people only go with e-mail when doing discovery, then have to do another collection, because the first was incomplete.

Nevermind. Too far away from the purpose of the thread.

Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
  • Options
    We have celebrated. My head feels like a bunch of monkeys fighting over a bucket of marbles. Could you all maybe not type so loud?

• Options
    I'll pull out my mechanical keyboard

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Don't forget to leave the one UPS with the bad battery plugged in.

Beep

Beep

Beep

Beep

Beep

Beep

• Options
    or a printer with a squeaky wheel outside your office. tell everyone they need to print to that one today.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Also, someone should definitely cook fish in the microwave. That needs to happen

• Options
    I thought we were all friends. You are all animals.

• Options
    It's okay, I'm still your friend.

You don't mind if I relieve my stress and pop this bubble wrap, do you?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Hey do any of you know if there is a way to create a junction in windows to change the location of a directory while there are live writes to the current directory.

IE I have files being written to C:\Logs and I want to make it a junction that actually saves stuff to D:\Logs but I have programs with files open and currently writing to C:\Logs. I'd like my files to be moved to D:\Logs and a junction created that maps C:\Logs to D:\Logs without any downtime of apps already writing to logs.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    It's okay, I'm still your friend.

You don't mind if I relieve my stress and pop this bubble wrap, do you?

OH&S regulations state that you must lay the bubblewrap on a concrete floor surface and use a ball pein hammer to pop it.

• Options
    Windows 10 is stellar.

This is what Windows 8 should have been.

So nice.

Start button with mini metro for pinning apps? Awesome.

Want full screen metro on start? Make it so.

Silly Sinofsky, you so dumb.

• Options
    there is so much irony because Win10 is 100x better on desktop machines and about 50x worse on 8-10" tablet devices. I have it loaded on My Venue 8 Pro for testing and it is currently a hot mess.

But yea, if Win 10 was stable enough to actually use for work I'd put it on my work machine in a heartbeat.

• Options
    Incindium wrote: »
    Hey do any of you know if there is a way to create a junction in windows to change the location of a directory while there are live writes to the current directory.

IE I have files being written to C:\Logs and I want to make it a junction that actually saves stuff to D:\Logs but I have programs with files open and currently writing to C:\Logs. I'd like my files to be moved to D:\Logs and a junction created that maps C:\Logs to D:\Logs without any downtime of apps already writing to logs.
    I think the problem you could run into is that if something is currently writing to C:\Logs at the same point that you create the junction, the function on either could fail. If you could stop the writing for like 10 seconds, I think you'd be fine.

• Options
    Shockingly, Microsoft's first attempt at something didn't work?

• Options
    wunderbar wrote: »
    there is so much irony because Win10 is 100x better on desktop machines and about 50x worse on 8-10" tablet devices. I have it loaded on My Venue 8 Pro for testing and it is currently a hot mess.

But yea, if Win 10 was stable enough to actually use for work I'd put it on my work machine in a heartbeat.

Using it right now, so far so good.

I have a feeling I'm going to need to go back to windows 7 within a few weeks though.

I really do like "metro as a start menu" concept. Windows 8 would have been the golden child if it had done this.

• Options
    Then just switch to "METRO MODE" for tablets, done and done.

• Options
    I've seen some demos of the start menu and what I really like is how the size is customizable. Raise it, lower it, expand it, change it to your liking (within reason).

• Options
    Yup! I've even gone full screen with it a few times already.

Most of the time it's small. Like this:

xGI97qo.png

• Options
    Then just switch to "METRO MODE" for tablets, done and done.

for the most part that's ok, but there are a couple of things that Win10 doesn't do as well. The app switcher is not nearly as good in 10 compared to 8.x on touch devices. On 8.x swiping from left to get a list of apps that you can then hit with the same thumb was a great touch UI, on 10 it puts all of the apps/windows in the center, which means taking hand off of side to hit middle of screen. Doesn't sound like a big deal until the 100th time you have to do it. Just little things like that.

I'm interested to get 100061 on My Venue 8 Pro tonight to see some of the tablet mode changes, allegedly bigger touch targets on some of the UI elements in the taskbar, which was my other big complaint with it on the small screens. Also 10049 was pretty bloody unstable on my Venue 8 pro, but that's just one of those one off things for that particular build.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    I still catch myself forgetting that people use Windows on devices without hardware KBAM.

• Options
    Hm. A user's desktop, about once or twice a week, will suddenly stop displaying video to any of her monitors until she reboots the PC. Any ideas? 4 screens connected via DVI or DVI->HDMI on a single GPU.

• Options
    TL DR wrote: »
    Hm. A user's desktop, about once or twice a week, will suddenly stop displaying video to any of her monitors until she reboots the PC. Any ideas? 4 screens connected via DVI or DVI->HDMI on a single GPU.

Start with driver updates.

This discussion has been closed.