As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GTAV/O... and 6?] - Return to Vice City in 2025

• Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    My game time got completely sidetracked by working on an Infinity toybox for my 3 year old. I'm off tomorrow, so as soon as he's asleep tonight I'm jumping on GTA. There will be a video when I finally do it.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Too bad the Simeon car-gathering / LSC car-selling activities have such long cooldowns, or a couple of industrious players could make a killing. :)

Cargobobs are also good for stealing player vehicles... some very interesting implications there.

Oh yeah, and watercraft... Speaking of, @Ken O , how goes the quest to boat down the Tongva Valley?

Hmm...this gets my brain gears a-movin': does dropping a player vehicle from a Cargobob at a height that will result in detonation of said vehicle count as the pilot destroying the player's car? I mean, technically, gravity killed the car and the pilot would be blameless for any "Bad Player" and insurance penalties...right?

I mean...this is just for the sake of curiosity. Certainly I wouldn't be interested in performing such nefarious deeds >.>

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    NackmatholnNackmatholn Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Too bad the Simeon car-gathering / LSC car-selling activities have such long cooldowns, or a couple of industrious players could make a killing. :)

Cargobobs are also good for stealing player vehicles... some very interesting implications there.

Oh yeah, and watercraft... Speaking of, @Ken O , how goes the quest to boat down the Tongva Valley?

Hmm...this gets my brain gears a-movin': does dropping a player vehicle from a Cargobob at a height that will result in detonation of said vehicle count as the pilot destroying the player's car? I mean, technically, gravity killed the car and the pilot would be blameless for any "Bad Player" and insurance penalties...right?

I mean...this is just for the sake of curiosity. Certainly I wouldn't be interested in performing such nefarious deeds >.>

I tried this tactic this morning after someone lifted my Hydra right after I bought the silly thing... The Cargobob could not pick up their empty Karuma so I rolled a hand-full of grenades under it. I wonder if the issue is that the vehicle was not occupied. I could get in and drive it no problem, so it wasn't restricted access or anything.

camo_sig2.png PSN - Nackmatholn
  • Options

I tried this tactic this morning after someone lifted my Hydra right after I bought the silly thing... The Cargobob could not pick up their empty Karuma so I rolled a hand-full of grenades under it. I wonder if the issue is that the vehicle was not occupied. I could get in and drive it no problem, so it wasn't restricted access or anything.

Was it an armored Kuruma? I wonder if the game considers that in a heavier weight-class than a regular vehicle of that approximate size. If I were home, I'd help out by seeing if you could airlift one of my cars (probably either my Dominator or Hotknife).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options

Was it an armored Kuruma? I wonder if the game considers that in a heavier weight-class than a regular vehicle of that approximate size. If I were home, I'd help out by seeing if you could airlift one of my cars (probably either my Dominator or Hotknife).

I'm working at the moment, perhaps we shall meet online another time to concoct mad science experiments with personal vehicles :D

• Options

I'm working at the moment, perhaps we shall meet online another time to concoct mad science experiments with personal vehicles :D

Sadly, for about the next two weeks, science in GTA5 will have to go on without me. I'm currently stuck with whatever games my 5-year old Alienware M11X (or Surface Pro 2) can run.

• Options

Sadly, for about the next two weeks, science in GTA5 will have to go on without me. I'm currently stuck with whatever games my 5-year old Alienware M11X (or Surface Pro 2) can run.

I'll be working or out of town for that period anyway. Call it June.

Speaking of evil plans, and June, me and two other WANGs are going to try and do the all in a row First Person mode for the heists at some point. It would be great if we could get a fourth WANG along for the ride to get the crew bonus as well. Still working out what day(s) will match best for the three already involved, so keep an eye on the thread for more details as things solidify in June folks.

• Options
    testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Speaking of evil plans, and June, me and two other WANGs are going to try and do the all in a row First Person mode for the heists at some point. It would be great if we could get a fourth WANG along for the ride to get the crew bonus as well. Still working out what day(s) will match best for the three already involved, so keep an eye on the thread for more details as things solidify in June folks.

I was just thinking that it'd be cool to do the heists in FP, so depending on the time/date I may be your fourth. (I'm mostly playin' late nights EST.)

testsubject23 on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • Options

I was just thinking that it'd be cool to do the heists in FP, so depending on the time/date I may be your fourth. (I'm mostly playin' late nights EST.)

That may work out well for my part of it. My normal work schedule is until 4am EST anyhow, so I'm normally gaming "late" on my off days as it stands.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Trying to do last setup for Humane Labs, the Marine base sneakystab one. My teammates (and yes, I do mean my teammates, because the game tells you who fucked up) kept alerting the guards, and I'm not sure if it was a glitch or pubs felt very ragequitty today but after every failure it kept saying "You do not have enough people to do this heist".

I'mma do a tiny rant on the heists.

Why is it, unlike every other co-op mission in online, that when one person dies, the whole mission fails? That's some bullshit Battletoads-ass-stupidity. Why do all of us have to get away? The very first heist of singleplayer there is a possibility that one of the members of your crew die if you pick a bad one and you get the oppurtunity to take his bag by stopping to get it from his corpse. So why can't it be that way in Online? Okay, maybe I understand why in the actual heist you all need to get away, because each of you have a certain job that needs to get done in order for the heist to even work, like the plane pilot in the prison break, or the guy who actually goes into the prison. However, why, when they're already in the prison, does it matter if either the fake prison guard or the fake prisoner die and leave the other one alone? I kind of see why you need the helicopter pilot, especially if you haven't shot down all the planes, but after that, why does it matter if they die? At that point, the only important people are the players in the plane who could fly if one of you dies. This however doesn't make sense in setup missions, which, though you may have to split into two teams to get two separate objectives done, could be completed by a remaining player or two as in one on each team. What if I did the one where you have to find the prison bus records and the cops completed their side of the mission, but the boat guys are in trouble and they need more help? If one of the cops die, even though they have completed their task, it's still game over for everyone. That is dumb.

I also want to be able to take up to six players on a heist. It's more convenient. A minimum four is fine, but sometimes people get locked out of the loop.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    downerdowner Registered User regular
    Also downer! So I was talking to you for like 10 minutes before I realised my mic was off. Trust me, it was a good conversation on treatise on the nature of unchecked aggression and unprovoked attacks.

(I dont know why canadianman was shooting out your tires, I thought you started it and he was screwing around so I blew you up. then all hell broke lose) Here's a rough translation

"Bro. bro bro wait. bro bro bro"
    downer shoots at DNC
    "bro were even bro were just messing around bro. bro"
    downer pulls out baseball bat
    "bro no need for a bat bro BRO stop swinging-"
    downer bat's DNC
    "bro nah its cool bro. bro::laughing::"
    ::continues for another 5 minutes between downer, DNC and CM::

hahaha. I still would have bludgeoned you. :)

I fully expect WANGers to shoot out my tires/run me over/gun me down.

• Options
    Kadoken, I'm going to one-up you on this one, since your post got my brain-gears moving for the second time today. How about a heist where the last phase is a combination of The Ship and the intro to The Dark Knight. By this I mean, you pull off the heist, but during the exfil stage, you have to off the other people on your heist team...without alerting the other members of the heist. So, for example, during the Humane Labs sneaky-bastard setup (if the team is you, me, PubA, and PubB): you and PubA go along the main road into the base to plink off guards and scientists, and me and PubB go down the parking lot to plink off side guards. After I kill the last side guard, PubB turns and puts a bullet in my head...and after you kill the last scientist, you kill PubA. After you deliver the EMP and are about to drive off, you level a shotgun blast at PubB after he parks the EMP into the garage and walk away with a majority of the money from the heist. Now, this would only work on the actual heist itself and not on setup missions...but you could use this cutthroat-style of play to determine who gets the majority cut of a heist, and everybody else gets the 20% share (I may be sadistic when thinking of this stuff...but I'm not a monster who would call for 0% to everybody who dies and 100% to the sneakiest bastard-king of the heist team).

Of course, this would necessitate having heist teams of more than 4 people...

But yes...I've generally found that particular setup mission to be a nasty way to cull the bads from the people who actually paid attention to what they're supposed to do. It just so happens that the mission (and system R* used for heists) also punishes the entire team for the bads' actions.

• Options
    Anti-SeanAnti-Sean Registered User regular

Oh yeah, and watercraft... Speaking of, "Ken O" , how goes the quest to boat down the Tongva Valley?

Just spitballing here, but if destroying a vehicle by dropping it from a Cargobob does indeed incur penalties for the pilot, one supposes that one would be able to gently deposit said vehicle on to, say, a remote island, or the roof of a very tall building. In such a case, said vehicle would remain unharmed, and yet, rendered as ineffectual for the driver as if it had been destroyed.

• Options
    Slayer of DreamsSlayer of Dreams Registered User regular
    Anti-Sean wrote: »

Oh yeah, and watercraft... Speaking of, "Ken O" , how goes the quest to boat down the Tongva Valley?

Just spitballing here, but if destroying a vehicle by dropping it from a Cargobob does indeed incur penalties for the pilot, one supposes that one would be able to gently deposit said vehicle on to, say, a remote island, or the roof of a very tall building. In such a case, said vehicle would remain unharmed, and yet, rendered as ineffectual for the driver as if it had been destroyed.

Except that once the car's owner is a certain distance away, they can just mechanic it back to them.

Steam: Slayer of Dreams / BladeCruiser / (EHJ)BooletProof
    R*SC: BladeCruiser
    Check out my GTAV-PC custom race tracks inspired by real life racing circuits!
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Yeah, I was trying to orchestrate a Cargobob pickup of Simeon's high priority car, and couldn't make the timing work. Would have been easier if you could call one in.

One thing I've found (with the help of testsubject23), Cargobobs are pretty handy for dealing with Simeon's list of cars he wants to export. Driver finds car Simeon wants, Driver gets in car and gets instant 2-star wanted level, Pilot flies to Driver and lifts car above police eye-level (because we all know police are like dogs and can't look up), wanted level goes away, Pilot carries Driver and car to Pay'n'Spray for respray, Driver and car get airlifted to the docks...profit!

While that sounds fun, you could also just call off the wanted level with Lester for what, $200?

Why is it, unlike every other co-op mission in online, that when one person dies, the whole mission fails?

IIRC when I did Humane Labs, one of the two ground crew died and we didn't fail, and went on to finish the mission. Does that one give you one life to lose among the crew or something? Or I could be remembering wrong, or there may have been a weird glitch/hack.

Except that once the car's owner is a certain distance away, they can just mechanic it back to them.

So what happens when someone is carrying a player car in a Cargobob and the player mechanics it back to them?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Yeah, I was trying to orchestrate a Cargobob pickup of Simeon's high priority car, and couldn't make the timing work. Would have been easier if you could call one in.

One thing I've found (with the help of testsubject23), Cargobobs are pretty handy for dealing with Simeon's list of cars he wants to export. Driver finds car Simeon wants, Driver gets in car and gets instant 2-star wanted level, Pilot flies to Driver and lifts car above police eye-level (because we all know police are like dogs and can't look up), wanted level goes away, Pilot carries Driver and car to Pay'n'Spray for respray, Driver and car get airlifted to the docks...profit!

While that sounds fun, you could also just call off the wanted level with Lester for what, $200?

Why is it, unlike every other co-op mission in online, that when one person dies, the whole mission fails?

IIRC when I did Humane Labs, one of the two ground crew died and we didn't fail, and went on to finish the mission. Does that one give you one life to lose among the crew or something? Or I could be remembering wrong, or there may have been a weird glitch/hack.

So what happens when someone is carrying a player car in a Cargobob and the player mechanics it back to them?

I would imagine it just disappears from the cargobob or the mechanic is like "I can't do that boss, sorry."

• Options
    Sorry @UncleSporky, I'm on my phone right now so can't break down the quote in response:

From what I've seen, if a heist is set to normal difficulty, you get one team life. On hard, there are no extra lives.

• Options
    Sorry @UncleSporky, I'm on my phone right now so can't break down the quote in response:

From what I've seen, if a heist is set to normal difficulty, you get one team life. On hard, there are no extra lives.

Ah, that would explain it! I'm so used to everyone choosing hard all the time for everything that I didn't notice.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options

Ah, that would explain it! I'm so used to everyone choosing hard all the time for everything that I didn't notice.

Assuming the group takes their time and uses voice comms of some sort, there's no reason to do anything -but- hard difficulty.

• Options

Assuming the group takes their time and uses voice comms of some sort, there's no reason to do anything -but- hard difficulty.

Except when the game randomly changes the input output for voice chat on me every session. Even mid session. Silly settings, getting sloshed and not sharing.

• Options
    E-gongaE-gonga Registered User regular
    I shamelessly admit that I've Cargobob'd other player vehicles into the briney deep and yes, I've had to pay the insurance. I would assume the same goes for dropsploding it.

Also I kind of like that Heists fail if somebody dies. Regular missions, even on hard mode, are pretty easy once you know what you're doing, so I see Hard Heists as a kind of Extreme difficulty mode. For somebody who has been playing since October 2013 the added difficulty is VERY welcome :)

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Hmm. Sticky bombs will stick to a player's back.

Quick question for SCIENCE (that I'm too low rank to test): Take Player A, and Player B. Player A puts a sticky bomb onto Player B's back. Player B goes into passive mode. Can the bomb still be detonated and effect other players?

Suriko on
  • Options
    That's an awesome idea. Super long range co-op stealth kills.

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Another idea: Player B gets into a car, player A puts bomb onto player B's car. Player B goes passive. If it worked, you'd have an invulnerable missile.

• Options
    E-gongaE-gonga Registered User regular
    A cruel trick to use with sticky bombs is whenever you receive an Apartment Invite from somebody, have a friend attach sticky-bombs to you before accepting the invite. Once you're inside signal for them to asplode you.

• Options
    E-gonga wrote: »
    A cruel trick to use with sticky bombs is whenever you receive an Apartment Invite from somebody, have a friend attach sticky-bombs to you before accepting the invite. Once you're inside signal for them to asplode you.

Your picture is an accurate representation of my reaction to knowing that can happen.

• Options
    testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    You hafta get 'em to yell "STICKY BOMB DELIVERY!" right before it goes off, otherwise the prank is incomplete, I feel.

Edit: Alternately, "EXPLODING TELEGRAM!"

testsubject23 on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • Options
    You hafta get 'em to yell "STICKY BOMB DELIVERY!" right before it goes off, otherwise the prank is incomplete, I feel.

Edit: Alternately, "EXPLODING TELEGRAM!"

I prefer this (of course, GTA would need to have a DLC pack that includes a postal uniform):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8ciVBQixpU

• Options
    I kind of want to hover outside peoples windows with the Hydra and wave at them. Really need to work on the coordination though.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Logged in to do my dailies last night. Saw that Tennis was one of them.

Logged out.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular

Logged out.

I always lost tennis on 360, but haven't lost yet on PC yet. I don't know why. I thought the tennis was pretty good?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I find it really boring, and it lasts for-fucking-ever. I can play one hole of golf and be done in ten minutes with four players, but tennis is one on one and never fucking ends.

• Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    I don't think the issue is with the implementation of tennis, it's the problem of having tennis in a shooty mans game. It takes an eternity to finish a game, an eternity where you're unable to blow anything up.

• Options
    downerdowner Registered User regular
    edited May 2015

Logged out.

If I'm online I'll gladly sit there and throw a tennis game for a WANGers daily.

I got caught in a pretty epic showdown with a pubbie last night. Highlights include me stealing his car when he went in passive, putting stickies all over it, and blowing it up right before he got in. Also, me telling him that I was all out of things that go boom when his mercenaries and the cops had me pinned, only to then kill him with a grenade and say "I lied."

Edit: This all started because I was in a Firetruck offering free car washes, and said pub is killed me. :(

downer on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I find it really boring, and it lasts for-fucking-ever. I can play one hole of golf and be done in ten minutes with four players, but tennis is one on one and never fucking ends.

It is super fun to play, but it'd be way better if it was just a "Best 2 out of 3" thing. Like I serve five times, you serve five times, then a tie-breaker if need be.

It follows the rules too much for its own good.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    *totally is that guy who sets the Tennis match to be all of the sets because there's an award for that*

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    I also wish I could see the overworld madness going on around the tennis match or golf games. Would love to see planes crashing in the background, police helicopters, etc.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    I also wish I could see the overworld madness going on around the tennis match or golf games. Would love to see planes crashing in the background, police helicopters, etc.

If anything I'd crash a plane into a tennis match.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Shimshai on
    Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    Should be pretty simple to get it off the air, just have someone punch a producer.