As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GTAV/O... and 6?] - Return to Vice City in 2025

1565758596062»

• Options
    swphreakswphreak Registered User regular
    No word on GTA6 Online. I know they like to double dip releases, but surely they’d make more money just releasing on PC and milking those shark cards from everyone equally?

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited December 2023
    Looks like confirmation that we won't be getting a simultaneous PC release. Kinda mind boggling, but I guess a late "current gen" release followed by a "next gen" and PC release is to be sadly expected at this point.

I mean, I own two copies of GTA5 and RDR2, so I guess it works.

Edit: ...shit I own three copies of GTA5.

jdarksun on
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited December 2023
    Yeah if the release date isn't in there for PC, we're getting another fun incredibly long PC delay to take advantage of everyone that will buy it twice.

It's....super lame. Every other company seems to have gotten the memo -- even most Japanese devs have figured out that same day PC release is good. But nope, not Rockstar.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    IIRC GTA5 Online didn't come until a while after release, so that doesn't really shock me.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm not expecting to see a PC release. They'll say "Our focus is on the console release and getting it right" yada yada. . .but we know the score. They're counting on people double dipping for sure. Honestly the only thing about this that blows and just feels. . .scummy (it releasing in 2025 isn't that terrible honestly, though DD2 is honestly the only thing I'm aware of coming out in 2024 that I'm interested in).

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited December 2023
    IIRC GTA5 Online didn't come until a while after release, so that doesn't really shock me.

The first online mode released only two weeks after the single player, but the real GTAO started with heist mode which was almost 2-years later. With how insanely profitable GTA5 Online was, I don't think they'll make that same mistake again. We'll have events and Shark Cards to pour money into way sooner.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    Does anyone here play GTA V still?

I still jump on gtao every now and then when the weekly bonuses and discounts sound good to me. Especially because they still release content updates and they now let you complete all activities in Invite lobbies.

I still jump on rdro every now and then, it's pretty relaxing.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    Apparently they're going to add the wildlife from single player to PS5 / Series X GTA online

PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm not expecting to see a PC release. They'll say "Our focus is on the console release and getting it right" yada yada. . .but we know the score. They're counting on people double dipping for sure. Honestly the only thing about this that blows and just feels. . .scummy (it releasing in 2025 isn't that terrible honestly, though DD2 is honestly the only thing I'm aware of coming out in 2024 that I'm interested in).
    I don't know enough about game development to say one way or the other for sure, but with a game the size and scope of a GTA VI it might just not be feasible to release on PC and console at the same time. Even with Rockstar's deep pockets they only have have x amount of people.

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular

GTA 5 PC was infested with hackers. I can see why they would not be so keen to relive that experience.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    I grabbed one of those new Steam Deck’s so I’ve been back into some GTA with some friends. It’s definitely still fun to just romp around.

I’m definitely sad about not getting a PC release at launch, that trailer just looked amazing.

Alan Wake 2 had amazing animation work, but this already seems to top it.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    I don't know enough about game development to say one way or the other for sure, but with a game the size and scope of a GTA VI it might just not be feasible to release on PC and console at the same time. Even with Rockstar's deep pockets they only have have x amount of people.

The entire game is made on the PC, it can be horribly optimized for the PC, but, usually what that means is that on a PC it can't run at the expected settings. Only the settings and frame rate that the consoles would tolerate.

I'm not surprised, but, its a shame to see PC not as part of the lead group since it means that features will get cut to make it work on console which might have been retained if they already worked on PC.

I just kinda hope they learn quite a lot from cyberpunk 2077 regarding player character agency etc. V is a character, but, she absolutely seems like MY V. She's herself, but she's the version of herself that I made her. The story is told around her and she shapes it, but, somehow she doesn't do anything that isn't what I wanted her to do. So, she's not annoying at all. In fact, she increases my perceived agency.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »

The entire game is made on the PC, it can be horribly optimized for the PC, but, usually what that means is that on a PC it can't run at the expected settings. Only the settings and frame rate that the consoles would tolerate.

I'm not surprised, but, its a shame to see PC not as part of the lead group since it means that features will get cut to make it work on console which might have been retained if they already worked on PC.

I just kinda hope they learn quite a lot from cyberpunk 2077 regarding player character agency etc. V is a character, but, she absolutely seems like MY V. She's herself, but she's the version of herself that I made her. The story is told around her and she shapes it, but, somehow she doesn't do anything that isn't what I wanted her to do. So, she's not annoying at all. In fact, she increases my perceived agency.

I mean, the PC never got the RT improvments from the next gen consoles, and isnt' going to get this animal stuff

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited December 2023
    Deadfall wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »
    Does anyone here play GTA V still?

I still jump on gtao every now and then when the weekly bonuses and discounts sound good to me. Especially because they still release content updates and they now let you complete all activities in Invite lobbies.

I still jump on rdro every now and then, it's pretty relaxing.

I really wanted to finish the heists and other online mission content but it was damn near impossible without a full and cohesive party. The missions were so fun when they worked but they were easily broken, had awful checkpoints (when they even had any), and of course the load times in the PS4-era made retrying an absolute slog.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    You can do pretty much everything solo except for the heists, unless it's Cayo Perico. They've actually added a ton of content. And a new property with story missions is launching this month.

There are so many ways to make money now it's great.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Mc zany wrote: »

GTA 5 PC was infested with hackers. I can see why they would not be so keen to relive that experience.

I think you mean "Take Two was too shitty to bother with much in the way of anti-cheat measures". Totally understandable, seeing as GTAO was such a smalltime earner for them...

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited December 2023
    Mc zany wrote: »

I think you mean "Take Two was too shitty to bother with much in the way of anti-cheat measures". Totally understandable, seeing as GTAO was such a smalltime earner for them...

Yeaaah Rockstar's delays on PC are not due to a lack of resources or hacking. Somehow every other dev that was primarily making console games in the early 2000s has figured out how to do same day PC releases with proper support, but poor ol' Rockstar just can't keep up and is stuck in 2002.

It's a choice, and they make lots of money by re-selling it a couple of years later on PC from people who double dip due to the delay.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I'm ashamed to say that I have quad dipped with GTA5.

I bought the PS3 version. Then I bought the PC version. Then I bought the PS4 version. Then I paid the $10 upgrade price to convert my PS4 version into a PS5 version.

After watching the GTA6 trailer like 10 times, I reinstalled GTA5 on my PS5 and started a new campaign save file.

You know what would really help ease the wait for 2025 and GTA6? A modern console re-release of GTA4. I don't even need a remaster. Just make it PS5/SeriesX/S compatible, and slap some modern controls on it and I'm good.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I am super excited for GTA6 and that trailer was rad.

But I will play it the exact way I played GTA5.

Buy the first version. Have a blast playing through the single player. Then never touch it again.

And that's all I want from it. A fun story and a romp through a fun open world.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    It's funny, I don't actually consider myself to be a huge GTA fan or anything. But when I look back on the money spent and the amount of times played across the whole series... I kind of am a big fan.

I've played each of the original PS2 versions multiple times. I also bought the PS2 port versions of 3, VC, and SA on the PS4. I also bought the GTA Trilogy Remaster bundle on my PS5. I own GTA4 on PS3 and also on Steam...

Yeah... I'm a pretty big fan even if I don't identify as such.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited December 2023
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I'm ashamed to say that I have quad dipped with GTA5.

I bought the PS3 version. Then I bought the PC version. Then I bought the PS4 version. Then I paid the $10 upgrade price to convert my PS4 version into a PS5 version.

After watching the GTA6 trailer like 10 times, I reinstalled GTA5 on my PS5 and started a new campaign save file.

You know what would really help ease the wait for 2025 and GTA6? A modern console re-release of GTA4. I don't even need a remaster. Just make it PS5/SeriesX/S compatible, and slap some modern controls on it and I'm good.

I double-dipped and, ironically, have yet to ever complete the story mode for GTA5. One of the characters is basically a mass serial murderer, the other is a regular murderous asshole, and the third guy is borderline decent guy but gets pulled into this shitty life of murdering and crime because it's basically his only way up. They can try to make the characters as compelling as they want, I just don't give the slightest shit about what happens to two pieces of shit and a third guy who is basically a victim of circumstances.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    At least GTAV had multiple endings, once of which was fairly satisfying. Rockstar loves their downer endings.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    The thing about the PC release that just chaps me is that they are specifically playing on the habits of a fandom that has carried them for over two decades now. Like, if this were a situation where they just said "Look, we're focusing on consoles now" and then followed with ". . .but, with this release, we're bringing in cross-save/profiles" I'd be like "Okay, I'm fine double dipping."

That we can't even get THAT (hell UBISOFT has this - still have to buy the right SKU but at least you don't have to start over) is just. . .ugh.
    I double-dipped and, ironically, have yet to ever complete the story mode for GTA5. One of the characters is basically a mass serial murderer, the other is a regular murderous asshole, and the third guy is borderline decent guy but gets pulled into this shitty life of murdering and crime because it's basically his only way up. They can try to make the characters as compelling as they want, I just don't give the slightest shit about what happens to two pieces of shit and a third guy who is basically a victim of circumstances.

I mean, they were all bad guys and for sure Franklin and Lamar did some "bad things" before EVER getting into Michaels orbit. I remember that trailer where the narrator out and out says "These are not good people." Even against other bad people, some of the MC's are "not good people."

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    Oh, for sure, the game is clear about it. I don't offer that up as a criticism, just that the GTA games have decided to veer way too hard into "serious" criminal stories to keep my interest. Why the fuck would I care about shit that happens to these asshole murderers and thieves, particularly when one of them is doing it after having a chance to get out? It's a lot more fun Saint's Row style where the absurd violence matches the absurd world.

That's a me situation, though.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited December 2023
    https://youtu.be/1r3Zy7Ic8AM

Trailer analysis.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Two main characters are absolutely going to be trying to kill each other in the final mission.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I hope not, I don't play these games to be depressed or get bad endings, had enough of that with GTA4 and RDR2.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I've always seen it as them commenting on GTA protagonists as a whole.
    Franklin is the typical GTA protagonist; he starts small, taking criminal opportunities because that's his best option, and it snowballs from there (Lamar shines a spotlight on the typical progression when he talks about how they're inevitably going to betray him and move up).
    Michael is a post-GTA protagonist; he's played his story, he's 'won' (by betraying most of his former allies), and is now bored out of his mind because he doesn't have any non-criminal skills.
    Meanwhile, Trevor is the typical GTA player, who thinks nothing of stealing a military plane and going on a murder spree for the slightest slight, just because he can.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    I've always seen it as them commenting on GTA protagonists as a whole.
    Franklin is the typical GTA protagonist; he starts small, taking criminal opportunities because that's his best option, and it snowballs from there (Lamar shines a spotlight on the typical progression when he talks about how they're inevitably going to betray him and move up).
    Michael is a post-GTA protagonist; he's played his story, he's 'won' (by betraying most of his former allies), and is now bored out of his mind because he doesn't have any non-criminal skills.
    Meanwhile, Trevor is the typical GTA player, who thinks nothing of stealing a military plane and going on a murder spree for the slightest slight, just because he can.

I absolutely love that they recorded some specific lines for Michael for going against type. If the player goes on a Trevor style rampage before a certain story mission, he'll have a therapy session where he says something along the lines of "I feel like I'm two different people, both of them assholes."

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    This was a neat breakdown of details, references, and Easter eggs.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=o672jLtvyyE

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Michael's voice actor is not good with controllers and video games in general... which leads to some... hilarity:

:D

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    To be fair, I couldn't figure out why it kept recording either

steam_sig.png