As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars Movies]: Four . . .

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I'm glad we're all eagerly awaiting the new burns to drop on captain phasma there!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Captain Phasma? More like Captain Fantastic, do you spend as long polishing your armor as you do commanding your troops?
    Order the troops to polish the armor. You save time and effort by doing both simultaneously.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Many Bothans died to keep that armor polished.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    So Lupita Nyong'o's character will be completely cgi?

• Options
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Many Bothans died to keep that armor polished.
    It's unfortunate that Bothan fur makes the ideal armor polish shammy.
    Well, unfortunate for the Bothans.

• Options
    Its nice to know killing Bothans is a long tradition of the empire since they are doing it back in the old republic times as well...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93uSIKzPmik

Ehrmagerd Plinkert Ster Wers trailer analysers

• Options
    Said it in the trailer thread, but not one of their best videos, they didn't even have the information the planet isn't tattooine and the black soldier is actually an imperial trooper and not just wearing ones armor.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SarcasmoBlasterSarcasmoBlaster Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    Everything about TFA looks so on point. Trying to keep my hype-o-meter from blowing up but failing.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Captain Phasma? More like Captain Fantastic, do you spend as long polishing your armor as you do commanding your troops?

I assume in the film there will be copious lens flare on that shiny armor.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Aren't you a little tall for a storm trooper?
    My head cannon now is that Stormtroopers are promoted like WH40k Orks. Only da biggest and da strongest get da shiny bits.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular

They won't have to use anything fancy like CGI because it'll be a PRACTICAL EFFECT! Pure sunlight, right into the cornea.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular

They won't have to use anything fancy like CGI because it'll be a PRACTICAL EFFECT! Pure sunlight, right into the cornea.

Don't be fooled, J.J. will surely add some digital lens flare. You just won't be able to see it because of the real lens flare.

• Options

Don't be fooled, J.J. will surely add some digital lens flare. You just won't be able to see it because of the real lens flare.

It's lensflare, all the way down.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I'm almost kinda hoping that this whole Jakku thing is just a smoke screen and the planet really is Tattooine.

Because, damn, it looks just like Tattooine. I don't see why we'd need two identical locations.

• Options
    Well there is the belief maybe Jakku didn't look like that to start and we can finally have the aftermath of a planet being bombarded with ships...

But more importantly there would be zero reason for a major ship battle to be carried out over Tattooine, a dirt water planet in hutt space that the empire/republic would care very little about.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Well there is the belief maybe Jakku didn't look like that to start and we can finally have the aftermath of a planet being bombarded with ships...

But more importantly there would be zero reason for a major ship battle to be carried out over Tattooine, a dirt water planet in hutt space that the empire/republic would care very little about.

Oh I know, but it seems a little silly to have a second desert planet

• Options
    Eh desert planets would be plentiful in space. All it takes is just a government run as poorly as Texas and boom desert. I may or may not know how deserts come into being.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Would Earth be the sole ocean planet of the Milky Way Galaxy?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

there's the one in KOTOR thats 100% ocean

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Well, it got spun into a time vortex at the center of the galaxy. And with water so scarce in the rest of settled space, only the wealthy have access to water. And in those dark time, came pirates. Ice Pirates!

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Maybe it's just a desert on Jakku. A planet of diverse ecosystems. Maybe?? Probably not.

• Options
    Maybe it's just a desert on Jakku. A planet of diverse ecosystems. Maybe?? Probably not.

THAT'S NOT HOW STAR WARS WORKS

• Options
    Nah, we'd be the freak planet in the galaxy. Having multiple biomes? What the hell's up with that?

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Eh desert planets would be plentiful in space. All it takes is just a government run as poorly as Texas and boom desert. I may or may not know how deserts come into being.

Sandworms are involved. The spice must flow.

DuneTV-Sandworm%2BThopter.jpg

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Dagobah was supposed to have multiple biomes, just offscreen.

Then we had the second desert planet anyway with Geonosis. A third can't hurt :D

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    George Lucas owes me dearly for the insane amount of hype I generated in myself after seeing this bit of AOTC concept art.

Fedspheretroops.jpg

Nothing in that film came within a whiff of being as cool as that image suggested.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Saw the first TFA trailer on the big screen for the first time yesterday when watching Age of Ultron again. I almost sprained my face I was grinning so hard and I think I peed a little during the Falcon reveal. Holy shit is that so much more powerful in a theater.

If I'm home when this hits the theaters I am absolutely camping out for it. Damn the December release date, I'll wear long johns.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I had a funny feeling when I saw The Force Awakens trailer before AoU. See, with Jurassic Park, San Andreas, and even a bit of Mad Max, I was unconsciously picking out CGI bits and analyzing them for their effectiveness. When TFA came on, I only felt one emotion:

I'm watching this happen.

Yes, obviously in retrospect and if I concentrated very hard I would recognize these things as CGI, sets, and movie magic. But when that trailer hits, when you see the sun shine through the X Wings, everything just feels very solid. It's very real. When Gravity made its mark establishing a new benchmark for special effects, I didn't know how many movie producers or studios would run with it because from everything I've heard that movie was very difficult to nail visually. TFA is the first movie since Gravity (and Gravity was the first movie since... I don't even know) to give me those feels.

If the movie hits its visual marks and can crank out even a half-decent, OT worthy story, then we might get some of that excitement back. The trailers are breathtaking, an adjective I do not use lightly. They're beautiful. They inspire wonder and adventure instead of appreciation/disdain for the technical talent required to make such a detailed dinosaur model.

If this movie falls on the story like the PT does, I am done with this film series outside of the original movies. I mean, it's not even that high of a bar to cross, let's be honest.

Don't suck Star Wars. I want a piece of my childhood and the feeling like the movies are showing me places where I can lose myself for two hours.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    I'm almost kinda hoping that this whole Jakku thing is just a smoke screen and the planet really is Tattooine.

Because, damn, it looks just like Tattooine. I don't see why we'd need two identical locations.

Maybe Jakku isn't a place, maybe it's a person.

ok1rgw.jpg

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I like how all the planets in Star Wars galaxy have a single climate each. We see a desert scene and immediately we know the entire planet is a desert and nobody questions that.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    While goofy, when jumping from planet to planet it makes it easier to tell what is what and where they are.

• Options
    What would be so terrible about having a series of orbiting welcome signs?

"Tatooine: Not all scum and villainy"

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    While goofy, when jumping from planet to planet it makes it easier to tell what is what and where they are.

It's one of the many parts of Star Wars where you aren't supposed to think about it too hard, you are simply supposed to roll with the iconography.

Tatooine is a dusty backwater. Literally. Like, the entire planet. Don't think about it.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

It's one of the many parts of Star Wars where you aren't supposed to think about it too hard, you are simply supposed to roll with the iconography.

Tatooine is a dusty backwater. Literally. Like, the entire planet. Don't think about it.

Yea, absolutely. Tatooine is a backwater because the hero has to come from a backwater. But this is an intergalactic story so if the entire place isn't a backwater then why don't they go to the big city?

And then the heroes flee to the mountains/north. So literally the entire planet has to be the mountains/north because otherwise why didn't they settle some place warm. And then the heroes hide at a hide out so literally the entire planet is a hide out and one goes to see some guru, and guru's live in swamps or mountains so literally the entire planet has to be a swamp and then....

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    To be fair, have an entire planet be extremely arid is probably fairly likely (or at least possible), and it would then be incapable of supporting a large population, so most settlements would be small towns.

Similarly, a planet could easily be far enough from the sun that it's perpetually frozen, making it unlikely to have much (or any) permanent population. It would probably make a pretty good hideout if you could handle the cold. (My understanding is that the Earth has actually been in this state in the far past (sans rebel base, of course).)

There would obviously be changes in temperature and climate depending on location, but you could still get a planet whose entire surface (or close to it) is essentially "arid desert" or "frozen wasteland".

Having every planet be single-biome is just daft, though.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    *transport lands on the forest moon of Endor*

"Everyone is clear on the mission, right?"
    "Right! We've got to shut down that shield generator to save the fleet!"
    "Whoa whoa whoa there, buddy. First we need to take a tour of the southern ice caps, hit up the bitchin' beaches on the west coast and then visit that large desert on the southern continent. Maybe check out some of those mountain ranges for good skiing. Then we shut down the shield generator."
    "Be... because of the internet, sir?"
    "You're damn right because of the internet"

*everyone piles back into the transport and heads for the southern ice caps*

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    *transport lands on the forest moon of Endor*

"Everyone is clear on the mission, right?"
    "Right! We've got to shut down that shield generator to save the fleet!"
    "Whoa whoa whoa there, buddy. First we need to take a tour of the southern ice caps, hit up the bitchin' beaches on the west coast and then visit that large desert on the southern continent. Maybe check out some of those mountain ranges for good skiing. Then we shut down the shield generator."
    "Be... because of the internet, sir?"
    "You're damn right because of the internet"

*everyone piles back into the transport and heads for the southern ice caps*

*Pushes up glasses*

The large desert of the forest moon is in the NORTHERN hemisphere.

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular