As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game Grumps] This thread is laughably naive.

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Geez guys leave him alone. Has anyone ever pestered someone into enjoying something before? Not liking an art/animation style is a valid reason for not wanting to watch a show. People don't have time to watch every TV show under the sun no matter how good they are, so anything that filters out what they have to watch is fine.

I remember I refused to watch Teen Titans because I hated the fake anime style but people tell me that's a great show. They're probably right but I have no interest in watching it.

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Taya wrote: »
    Has anyone ever pestered someone into enjoying something before?

if so i have a lot of copies of la-mulana to distribute

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    This is not the Cartoon Thread

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    "Solid Steak" should be a stealth based culinary game.

Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Liquid steak

Ewwwwwwww

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Hey, but it's painful to him, and he's waaay too busy at 30 to wast his valuable time with cartoons man.

You may find it hard to believe but not everyone likes the things you do.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Geez guys leave him alone. Has anyone ever pestered someone into enjoying something before? Not liking an art/animation style is a valid reason for not wanting to watch a show. People don't have time to watch every TV show under the sun no matter how good they are, so anything that filters out what they have to watch is fine.

I remember I refused to watch Teen Titans because I hated the fake anime style but people tell me that's a great show. They're probably right but I have no interest in watching it.

It's fine though - I'm not at a point in my life where I feel that being mocked is going to change my opinion on something I don't like.

If I could be mocked into liking something I don't, I'd sit in a middle school playground until I could finally eat Peppers.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    ...sweet peppers are awesome though.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options

GAME GRUMPS IS STREAMING NAO

Arin couch cam

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Ach, I missed it.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »
    Ech, I missed it.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Hey, but it's painful to him, and he's waaay too busy at 30 to wast his valuable time with cartoons man.

Fuck off with this bullshit right now.

• Options
    Absalon wrote: »
    Ach, I missed it.

You didn't miss a whole lot, Arin tried to play some Splatoon online, couldn't get the wifi working(though I hear it might have been Splatoon server issues last night), and then the stream died and they couldn't figure out how to get it back on.

• Options
    Also I am pretty sure Metal Gear for the NES was the one of the few games where I felt like the Game Genie was necessary. Those pits that randomly appear and kill you instantly? Those are bullshit.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Mulletude wrote: »

I have no problems with that, much to the contrary. No need to be a silly goose about not liking stuff tho. I don't tell people who love sports or wrestling how busy I am at 38 or how shit the experience is to me.
    As I said, it's their loss not mine, I was just irked by the attitude, which sounds particularly silly on a thread about videogame playing comedian youtubers on a forum about a webcomic about videogames.

anyways, that gummy bear video was really awesome. And it's amazing how different the immediate beginning of MG is on NES and MSX. The MSX version looks and feels so much closer to MGS; the approach by water and the coded convo with Big Boss.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Mulletude wrote: »

I have no problems with that, much to the contrary. No need to be a silly goose about not liking stuff tho. I don't tell people who love sports or wrestling how busy I am at 38 or how shit the experience is to me.
    As I said, it's their loss not mine, I was just irked by the attitude, which sounds particularly silly on a thread about videogame playing comedian youtubers on a forum about a webcomic about videogames.

Except someone called me shallow for not liking the animation, which caused me to further explain my stance. I don't think that I mocked anyone for liking it, but you clearly mocked me for not liking it. That's just not cool. I just wanted Donn to know that he wasn't alone in this world.

• Options
    Ok, Fair enough, I overreacted then, and I take it back.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Ok, Fair enough, I overreacted then, and I take it back.

Looking at my post I can see why you assumed I was being snarky. I listed my age like it has something to do with enjoying animation. I think I was in the process of typing "I'm 30 with two young children", deleted the "with two young children" and for some reason left the 30 on there. And the Internet being the way it is: it's impossible to tell tone. So it's my fault. Sorry about that.

Can anyone tell me where the "Ech" came from? I'm pretty sure it was the earlier videos with Jon, right?

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me where the "Ech" came from? I'm pretty sure it was the earlier videos with Jon, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGUaLTLiFLc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaMphmqc1cw

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    I am laughing way too hard at those videos!

• Options
    Jon is the king of ECH. It's like a new martial art.
    Also, it was my fault too, gimme hugs and we forgive each other.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Has anyone else had a hell of a time with youtube lately?

Imbedded videos almost always work, but opening links to youtube tend to just give me a black area where the video should be and then nothing. If I try again later it usually works, but I dunno if it's just something on my system or what.

I think, actually, it started with the most recent nvidia drivers, but maybe not?

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Jon is the king of ECH. It's like a new martial art.
    Also, it was my fault too, gimme hugs and we forgive each other.

The best was one of their promo vids for a shirt where he touches an xmas tree

"ech. is sticky. ssssap."

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Has anyone else had a hell of a time with youtube lately?

Imbedded videos almost always work, but opening links to youtube tend to just give me a black area where the video should be and then nothing. If I try again later it usually works, but I dunno if it's just something on my system or what.

I think, actually, it started with the most recent nvidia drivers, but maybe not?

Yes, definitely. I had videos keep stopping in the middle of playback for no reason, and not start working again until I hit refresh. I think it was just a dodgy version of flash though, I updated it yesterday and haven't had any of those issues since. Fingers crossed!

• Options
    HjorvarthrHjorvarthr Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rNw8hDmKlc

with guest appearance in the opening by Ninja Kevin

• Options
    YOU SEND YOSHI TO YOUR LOCATION AND THEN HE EATS THE POKEY

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Mario is Missing is a shit game. I don't fault anyone for not knowing what to do.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    YOU SEND YOSHI TO YOUR LOCATION AND THEN HE EATS THE POKEY

But why... why do you have to do that?

• Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Mario is Missing is a shit game. I don't fault anyone for not knowing what to do.
    I agree, and I am honestly glad this is a one-shot because it's boring as fuck.
    But why... why do you have to do that?
    Because it's a geography game, and the point of Yoshi is for kids to learn which part of the world they're in and finish the level.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I remember renting it as a kid and being so confused

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtZUfC1hnro

I love whenever they mention an anime series on Grumps, because they've so far invariably mentioned legitimately good ones (Attack on Titan, Gurren Lagann). Madoka Magica is one of my favorite franchises ever (and I'm including things outside anime here), and it's funny to hear that they had the same reaction to it as I did (from "I don't think this is for me" to "OH MY GOD WHAT").

Just for reference as to what they were talking about, here are the main characters' designs:
    q4wtn44zsyw8.jpg

And here's an action sequence against a monster 7 episodes in that's indicative of the overall tone of the show by that point:

Also, the story was chiefly inspired by Faust.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Like Jared, I played Mario is Missing when I was a kid and liked it but I knew it wasn't a good game. I just liked wandering around and exploring the various cities.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

I love whenever they mention an anime series on Grumps, because they've so far invariably mentioned legitimately good ones (Attack on Titan, Gurren Lagann). Madoka Magica is one of my favorite franchises ever (and I'm including things outside anime here), and it's funny to hear that they had the same reaction to it as I did (from "I don't think this is for me" to "OH MY GOD WHAT").

Just for reference as to what they were talking about, here are the main characters' designs:
    q4wtn44zsyw8.jpg

And here's an action sequence against a monster 7 episodes in that's indicative of the overall tone of the show by that point:

Isn't that the show where someone is decapitated very suddenly and without warning?
    Like Jared, I played Mario is Missing when I was a kid and liked it but I knew it wasn't a good game. I just liked wandering around and exploring the various cities.

The NES cartridge I played (and still own) as a kid looks somehow better than the SNES version...not necessarily in appearance but gameplay.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options

q4wtn44zsyw8.jpg

Isn't that the show where someone is decapitated very suddenly and without warning?
    Yup. Here's a clip of the character, Mami, leading up to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ2xnHOJmO0

This was in episode three, and every episode afterwards had at least one big "oh shit, what!?" moment.

There was also a pretty decent fanmade sidescrolling beat-em-up called Grief Syndrome based on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAQ22FP4Gso

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Also, I really wish they'd play Misadventures of Tron Bonne like Ross said he wanted to, especially in light of the recently released teaser for Red Ash (aka Not Mega Man Legends).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbGmrySQLIg

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular

q4wtn44zsyw8.jpg

Yup. Here's a clip of the character, Mami, leading up to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ2xnHOJmO0

This was in episode three, and every episode afterwards had at least one big "oh shit, what!?" moment.

There was also a pretty decent fanmade sidescrolling beat-em-up called Grief Syndrome based on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAQ22FP4Gso

Madoka Magica was one of Urobuchi's first series.

For people who don't know him, his nickname is "Urobutcher" because he tends to kill off and/or bully characters heavily. Many point to him as being responsible for the recent uptick in more grim and dark anime and manga, which isn't to say that he was the first to do it (i.e. Berserker has been around for a while) but that he's really made it more mainstream.

For a further example of this guy's reputation, he worked as a "secret" co-producer on a show called Gargantia (which you can watch on Hulu and I highly recommend) and once people found out it was literally every week expecting it to shift from being a pretty upbeat show dealing with serious themes to just being a slaughter fest that ended with everyone miserable. He trolled all of us and the series ended with a happy ending and pretty much every main character alive and not mentally scarred, much to our surprise and delight. This guy is like the George R.R. Martin of anime.

I recommend checking out Madoka, Fate/Zero, Psycho Pass and Gargantia if you're in to anime at all, they're pretty great shows that deal with some serious themes.

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular