As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Painting Miniatures] Step one put paint on miniature, Step two finished

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I'm giving this an official classification of Not Too Shabby.

Going to do some smaller stripes later.

rrwjJRm.jpg

• Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    5DYctE1.jpg

I will use coal black on everything ever.

J on
  • Options
    J wrote: »
    I will use coal black on everything ever.

It is seriously one of my favorite paints.

Also, stripes on one side done, just needs some touchup where I got overspray.

CoJZUb7XEAEidqy.jpg:large

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    NOICE!
    How did you get such a nice yellow on top of such a dark green?

• Options
    Mayday wrote: »
    NOICE!
    How did you get such a nice yellow on top of such a dark green?

Basecoat of VGC Orange Fire, then a highlight of VMA Golden Yellow towards the top.

• Options
    17w2fy.jpg

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    "Hey, uh, weird question -- is there something on my back?"

• Options
    I had this weird thing earlier where I couldn't decide if the paint was still wet or if it just went on super glossy. This is after it sat for an hour.

The next coat after that was nowhere near as glossy. Wonder if it was some weird air humidity thing.

s0ZMeyZl.jpg

• Options
    Are you using a retarder? Too much of it causes this effect.

• Options
    Nope, just some Vallejo airbrush thinner.

• Options
    I think that one actually contains some retarder. Still, by itself it shouldn't cause that problem. Weird!

• Options
    JustTeeJustTee Registered User regular
    Guys! I did a thing! It's not painted yet, but I also stopped by my FLGS and had a conversation with an employee there named Bishop about how they host Warhammer 40K on Sundays, and when I woke up, I was home and had ~12 pots of citadel paints somehow?

But yeah, I spent an hour or so on Saturday night cutting plasticard and gluing sand to bases for Silver Tower. If I can get a reasonable day, I'll prime 'em and get them all painted up, but right now the weather in NY is muggy and gross.
    Spoiler for big image:
    l80trw51wlgs.jpg

Diagnosed with AML on 6/1/12. Read about it: www.effleukemia.com
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    For some reason I want Oreos.

To be fair; I always want Oreos.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    For some reason I want Oreos.

To be fair; I always want Oreos.

Also the first thing I thought of!

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    A fairly quick job one evening job on this one. I tell myself that one day I might go back and give them a second a go over and this way I actually get things done.

3C99E186-0BE4-42FE-BC98-11C8726F2907_zpsoxz8pfxi.jpg9E8AC168-F900-4EFD-997E-87D2FF8CD2F5_zpsude6aoot.jpg

This is yet another Deadzone proxy, this time for a Plague Terraton. The official figure is a giant turtle thing that can teleport so I figured burrowing worked quite nicely as an analogue.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    If you're not shy to drybrush, I think you could make it pop in a few minutes, really. Or maybe you already have and the photo is just dark?
    Meanwhile, I'm still in lizard-land:
    AOXoP3M.jpg

• Options
    edited July 2016
    It is dry brushed and it is a dark picture, but you were right and I just gave it a second go over which has improved things so :+1:

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Gimme a pic
    ...please, if it's not too much trouble

• Options
    What a difference a flash makes.
    5608E9FD-1C2C-4A57-9408-22720BCA82BE_zpsyfo5uesr.jpg

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Well, whether it's the better lighting or the additional drybrush - it's looking much better. :+1:

• Options
    frayfray Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    So I switched to a different colour scheme for my burgeoning hive fleet, which I'm a bit happier with. I still suck at highlighting though. I guess I do need to embrace drybrushing.

Thanks for the feedback on my previous efforts, by the way!

jvsb5y10kxn6.jpg

m9x6h6remrzd.jpg

fray on
    "I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    Mayday wrote: »
    If you're not shy to drybrush, I think you could make it pop in a few minutes, really. Or maybe you already have and the photo is just dark?
    Meanwhile, I'm still in lizard-land:
    AOXoP3M.jpg

'Vibrant' doesn't even begin to cover it. Those are beautiful and crisp works of art.

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    JustTeeJustTee Registered User regular
    2 Questions:
    1 - If I have a well ventilated basement, would it be bad to prime some things there with a spray primer, or should I basically always be outside? It's been super muggy and humid and gross for almost a week straight, and I want to get at least SOMETHING primed so I can start painting.

2 - Dumb question - how do people attach their figs to corks? Are you hot gluing a paperclip somewhere not visible and then driving the other end into the cork? I have basically an infinite supply of empty prescription bottles, and I got some sticky tack, but I can only really see how that will be useful for full figures. Any time I want to paint something's arm, or weapon, I can't figure out how to prime it without holding it in my hand. Or putting it on newspaper and having to prime it twice.

Diagnosed with AML on 6/1/12. Read about it: www.effleukemia.com
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    JustTee wrote: »
    2 Questions:
    1 - If I have a well ventilated basement, would it be bad to prime some things there with a spray primer, or should I basically always be outside? It's been super muggy and humid and gross for almost a week straight, and I want to get at least SOMETHING primed so I can start painting.

I've had to do this with some regularity in the past. You should be fine if:
    -You keep the spraying to an absolute minimum. The spray propellant isn't healthy in large quantities; if you or someone you live with has a sensitive respiratory system, small amounts can cause irritation. Once you're done spraying and the dust has settled, ventilate liberally with fresh air.
    -Contain your spraying to a set area, e.g. use the inside of an old box as a backstop. Overspray will leave dust hanging in the air, and then that dust will go everywhere if not contained.
    -Wear a mask. See above.
    -Keep the spraying to an absolute minimum. Yes, I'm saying this twice. You don't need a lot of primer to get an adhering layer onto the miniatures. It's ok if you see spots where the metal or plastic shows through a bit, as that's infinitely preferable to over-coating and obscuring the details with primer (and blowing a bunch of unnecessary primer into the air).

Don't go overboard with the spray, use some precautions, and you'll be fine.

If it turns out that aerosol spray primer doesn't jive with your living arrangement (or the arrangement of your housemates!), brush-on primer does just as good a job. Remember, the primer's job is to chemically bond to the miniatures to provide a better surface for the other paints; how it's applied isn't all that important.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    I bought the Khador starter box with Warmachine MK3 and I've got a few thoughts.

I can see why you guys have complained about quality. The plastic is hard which makes it hard to get right of flash. There were mold lines on the Warjacks that were incredibly difficult to get to. HOWEVER, I think that the Warjacks used all existing parts and probably didn't get me mold. The Warcaster, on the other hand, was incredibly clean and took minimal effort.

I think that the model quality, with regards to things like that, are worse than, say, GW but better than Reaper. The actual detail of the minis though? That was great. I'm excited to get to the painting.

I've assembled and primed the models so I hope I can have some pictures for you guys up soon.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    One thing I'm wondering, what's the best way to put together something when the parts as they come don't quite seem to fit flush? I picked up some genestealers for my swarm but I'm finding the head and neck join a real hassle, to the point where I'm thinking of investing in either a file or maybe some green stuff, if not both.

fray on
  • Options
    You should get a file anyway for mold lines.

If the gaps aren't big you can use a little bit of plastic glue to melt the pieces and fill them. It's tricky to do though so green stuff might be your better bet.

• Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    fray wrote: »
    One thing I'm wondering, what's the best way to put together something when the parts as they come don't quite seem to fit flush? I picked up some genestealers for my swarm but I'm finding the head and neck join a real hassle, to the point where I'm thinking of investing in either a file or maybe some green stuff, if not both.

Superglue + a tiny ball of green stuff (aka "hot putty") makes a fast bond on parts that don't quite line up. It sets quick so press the pieces together firmly and quickly.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Yeah, I did pick up a GW mold line remover thingy but it seems kind of useless, and the files they sell look like they're bigger than what I'm looking for, so I may look elsewhere. Thanks for the tips.

fray on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Are the Warmachine Mk3 boxes PVC or HIPS? For PVC I really don't recommend a file. They're much, much easier to use a sharp hobby knife to slowly slice off.

• Options
    I think PVC? I'm honestly not entirely sure. If HIPS is what GW uses, it ain't that.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    The Mk3 plastics are still PVC.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    That feeling when you learn the commission you were scheduling to have done for Sunday night has to be done Saturday night instead ... Here's hoping PVA glue + snow effects dries in an afternoon. <_<
    At least I'll soon have pictures to show. It's been, like, 8 months since I finished anything. Ugh.

• Options
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Finally done.
    It's equally sad on both ends, that this took me around 6 months to finish these guys, and that I did at least 70% of that work in the last 2-3 weeks. I definitely haven't ever had to work that hard at painting on a deadline. >_< As an aside, these were unquestionably the worst PP models I had to deal with (it took a massive amount of cleaning, greenstuff, and boiling water to get these guys together decently), and I dramatically underestimated their size several times. Larger models are so very much not my forte.
    ANYWAY ...
    nZ1sDeh.jpg

And a rotation of just one:
    hIbbmjf.jpg
    jrJRpAY.jpg
    6dD1kbT.jpg

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    Soooo... That snow? How'd you do it? I'm going to be doing some on the bases of the Khador a post above yours and I've never done it before.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    ... Holy shit.

• Options
    Soooo... That snow? How'd you do it? I'm going to be doing some on the bases of the Khador a post above yours and I've never done it before.

I've had some Gale Force 9 snow FX for a while that I used for this. I have no idea if you can still buy it, and I gave the rest to the owner so he could use it on the bases when he got to doing them (he wanted them to match his army and was willing to do them himself). Anyway, you just mix the snow with PVA glue and a bit of water to get it the right consistency, then apply with a brush. It's really not hard, where getting the mix right is probably the hardest part (and it's really, really easy to work with on bases regardless).

• Options
    That is FANTASTIC. The contrasts look excellent.
    I'd add a little bit of snow on the arms as well, for consistency's sake, but I guess it's Sunday already... ;P

• Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    D0tl3bL.jpg

NsCuzkZ.jpg

This discussion has been closed.