Options

9 Dead in Racially Motivated shooting in Charleston, SC

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    No people are just pointing out the differences in how the police acted in these different situations. In one they over reacted, in the other they underreacted/acted as you should. One involved black people, the other involved a very dangerous situation. and yet the police response to the more dangerous situation is the more restrained response.

Okay, okay, I'll concede. Y'all are right. Police definitely treat majority white people involved in protests (seattle) and riots (any championship game in the midwest) than they do majority black people involved in protests (about police brutality) and riots (in response to abuse).

I guess we need to get the black biker gangs to go to Waco and find out just how this situation would play out, as they are completely separate incidents that really don't compare. Cause yeah, you had a shit ton of dudes sitting around guarded by guys with AR's and then in the other you had people demonstrating getting bumrushed and separated for arrest by riot police.

These are not events that really compare with each other. In one situation, you have a metropolitan area of 220k people and attendant police forces trying to de-escalate a situation, and in the other you have a metropolitan area of 2.7 million people and their longstanding police force tradition of abusing the fuck out of the black population cracking heads in response to them breaking someone's neck.

Yeah, the response was totally different. Do I sound like less of a dumbass trying to explain the way I've been considering these events? Or am I still a dumbass? Honest questions. No offense taken.
    It sounds like you're taking offense for some reason at your local police being lumped in with the nation's police and lashing out in response.

Opty on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    As farcry 2 said, guns are not bio-degradable.

I suppose this applies to apc's as well.

But the fact that MRAPs are rusting away in warehouses after their wartime deployment in Iraq and Afghanistan was delayed due to partisan bickering, thus preventing their usage to save lives from IEDs; that pisses me off to no end.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    All the old gear should be sent to be scrapped and recycled.

edit: I know that scrapping military hardware has it's own headaches.

Weaver on
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Should be some cheap APC's coming to the civilian market then?

I read this as ACP and got really excited

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    We could always do the time honored tradition and sell or give away the equipment to countries before we invade 20 years later

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    No people are just pointing out the differences in how the police acted in these different situations. In one they over reacted, in the other they underreacted/acted as you should. One involved black people, the other involved a very dangerous situation. and yet the police response to the more dangerous situation is the more restrained response.

Okay, okay, I'll concede. Y'all are right. Police definitely treat majority white people involved in protests (seattle) and riots (any championship game in the midwest) than they do majority black people involved in protests (about police brutality) and riots (in response to abuse).

I guess we need to get the black biker gangs to go to Waco and find out just how this situation would play out, as they are completely separate incidents that really don't compare. Cause yeah, you had a shit ton of dudes sitting around guarded by guys with AR's and then in the other you had people demonstrating getting bumrushed and separated for arrest by riot police.

These are not events that really compare with each other. In one situation, you have a metropolitan area of 220k people and attendant police forces trying to de-escalate a situation, and in the other you have a metropolitan area of 2.7 million people and their longstanding police force tradition of abusing the fuck out of the black population cracking heads in response to them breaking someone's neck.

Yeah, the response was totally different. Do I sound like less of a dumbass trying to explain the way I've been considering these events? Or am I still a dumbass? Honest questions. No offense taken.
    It sounds like you're taking offense for some reason at your local police being lumped in with the nation's police and lashing out in response.

I think what is happening here is DL is justifiably upset because any time something like this happens people go ha ha TEXAS amirite like those fuckin crazy assholes with their GUNS n shit just fucking BURN THAT SHIT DOWN ha ha
    but is then carrying over that upset into this thread because someone started down that thread of goosery and got shut down
    and now everything is just getting kind of muddled together because his point is you can't really compare the police response to this group of bikers all shooting each other to police protests - which is somewhat true - but we CAN in some ways compare because the police response to a group of bikers all shooting each other was more reasonable, which, good on the Waco cops in this instance for not being fucking chuckleheads, but it is still an overall illustration of the vast divide between societal response to black bodies and non-black bodies
    for there to be a truly perfect comparison we would need, as he says, an armed group of black bikers all shooting at each other in a restaurant - but we aren't trying to make a perfect comparison, rather an extrapolation of police response variation dependent on skin color

• Options
    cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Quid wrote: »
    cr0w wrote: »
    Yeah my argument doesn't hold much water when you stop to think that they acted correctly when they were prepared, but....shouldn't a cop be prepared for any situation, spontaneous or no?

What argument?

I literally agreed the police did a good job in that situation.

I meant statement, not argument. Chose my words poorly.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Thanks @cabsy for stating what I could not in a much more reasonable and coherent post

Mucho props

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Fun fact:
    People at my high school thought I was a Crip for a significant amount of time due to me living near their territory and wearing blue jeans.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    it's an honest mistake, texas sends a lot of assholes to congress

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Asshole Congressman is certainly not something Texas has a monopoly on.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Jars wrote: »

literally every state does this and can we not do this literally 3 posts after we talked about how maybe lets not shit on texas constantly

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    they've got the edge in sheer quantity

• Options
    apparently the answer is yes, we have to do this

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular

literally every state does this and can we not do this literally 3 posts after we talked about how maybe lets not shit on texas constantly
    No we must do this, let us proceed

• Options
    The problem with Texas is we continue to sell the same image we've sold since the 1800s to the rest of America, and a good portion of our population buys into it wholeheartedly. The fact is that we're not a bunch of gun-totin', cowboy hat wearin', ranch ownin' good old boys who like to sit around and shoot people who are a different color than we are, but for some reason that's the image our state REALLY WANTS the rest of the country to see. Like the secession movement, which is still really fuckin' strong in this state, despite the fact that seceding would be the absolute worst thing we could possibly do. But it sends the rest of the country a middle finger, which is what we do because TEXAS Y'ALL.

It doesn't help that we continually put people like Rick Perry and Ted Cruz into power, despite the rest of the country responding with a resounding, "wtf are you doing?!"

But, as with any state, there's good and there's bad. We just, for some reason, fucking love to advertise the bad and never learn from it.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    At least Texas isn't governed by a mystical snake man

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Amen to that

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »

• Options
    here we go bashing florida again

• Options
    Nah we just have a guy who had a tree fall on him, then sued the guy whose property it was on and got a massive settlement out of it, then proceeded to support laws that make it harder for plaintiffs to win judgments in personal injury lawsuits.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    here we go bashing florida again

Florida Man. I don't think anything more need be said.

• Options
    I live in new york. which has plenty of issues! feel free to joke about them!

• Options
    Man, I need to visit NYC one day.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    As a Florida Man I can confirm

It's all true. We're crazy, every last one of us.

No excuse me, I must go bury my RV and turn it into a secret survival bunker hidden beneath my second, less new RV (just to throw the others off the scent!).

• Options
    I live in new york. which has plenty of issues! feel free to joke about them!

I mean, no

making fun of and stereotyping one place does not help with another place being made fun of and stereotyped

• Options
    You just gotta divorce the idea of "Florida Man" versus actual Florida Man (or Texans or the French or whatever geographic group we are talking about at the moment). People generalize people based upon stupid regional things. It happens. It has always happened. It will always happen.

There are mean Canadians, sane and educated Floridians, progressive Alabamans, and calm and patient New Yorkers. They don't make the news.

But when Florida man decides to call the police to tell them that his meth was stolen by his illegally kept Bengal Tiger and now it's on the lose in downtown Melbourne, coaked up and hungry as hell, that's what people remember about your area.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Because it's hilarious

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    The thing about rednecks is they're actually everywhere. Go anywhere that is far enough away from a major city and off the beaten path and you'll think you're in Bunny Kill, Alabama. This includes Canada.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    They don't even have to be outside of the city. A guy living in one of the downtown skyscrapers in Orlando decided he wanted to live on the "ground floor" and bought and brought up to his building level thousands of bags of dirt and sod and sodded his unit and the entire interior hallways overnight.

Once again the day is... something, thanks to Florida man!

• Options
    Fucking Illinois rednecks, man...combine all the behavior you expect from a redneck with a Chicago attitude and it's an amazing thing to watch. There were some characters when I lived up there.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Maybe he just has a deep appreciation for puns and physical comedy

Javen on
  • Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    Didn't Fark make a whole tag just for Florida, because Florida

I mean that takes some effort

• Options
    You learn to not watch the news here. For every good story of crazy harmless stuff there are 3-4 deaths a day that involve things like beheading or coverings someone in gasoline or shooting up some old retiree's house because he stole the girlfriend of some geriatric NRA thug. If there are less than 2 suspicious deaths in the weekly news each night it is strange.

And I'm not even joking. It's horrific.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Be at ease, knowing your state doesn't have Joe, "I thought interment camps were totes legal and a good idea" Arpaio.

I'll take that methed out tiger any day.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    That a city can wantonly kill a child and then blame that child for his own death is the ugliest thing I've ever witnessed.

• Options
    Isn't the part of florida at risk for climate change trying to secede from the part of florida that adamantly opposes reearch into climate change?

• Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    cr0w wrote: »
    Fucking Illinois rednecks, man...combine all the behavior you expect from a redneck with a Chicago attitude and it's an amazing thing to watch. There were some characters when I lived up there.

i hate illinois nazis

• Options
    ameybesameybes vvvv MERBERNRegistered User regular
    illinoizis?

This discussion has been closed.