Options

9 Dead in Racially Motivated shooting in Charleston, SC

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    When are leaders in the white community going to intervene and help solve this awful white-on-white violence

It's more Brown/White vs White/Brown

I know, crazy to think Mexicans in Texas are involved in criminal elements that participate in the drug trade.

Probably threw you for a real fucking loop.

What a totally necessary and enriching post

"lol white people" wasn't really that much better

If you think that was the intent of my post, you are sorely (and condescendingly!) mistaken

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    When are leaders in the white community going to intervene and help solve this awful white-on-white violence

It's more Brown/White vs White/Brown

I know, crazy to think Mexicans in Texas are involved in criminal elements that participate in the drug trade.

Probably threw you for a real fucking loop.

What a totally necessary and enriching post

Building off what Chincy has said, it would be one thing if you were actually right and these were just dumbfuck white dudes playing Sons of Anarchy in Waco, TX.

Or you could have been the clever chap(not sarcasm, Pooro, I know you're an intelligent dude) you are and recognize that the demographics of Texas probably lend itself to a mottled color of involvement of these organizations.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    pooro was making a play on what the media would be saying if this had been black gangs involved in the shooting

• Options
    Then I remove my hostility!

Accept my sincerest apologies

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    yeah, pooro was pointing at the ridiculous double standard when it comes to the discussion of 'black-on-black violence'

not sure what else you could have read from that

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    But it wasn't black-on-black or white-on-white

It was diversity at its finest! People of all colors coming together and attempting to kill each other

• Options
    Also it's made up of known MC gangs that frequently break the law and raise hell

This behavior is almost expected.

I don't think they had the SWAT van out for a meal at Twin Peaks, police were actively prepared for shit to go down.

No civil leaders gonna touch that.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular

It was diversity at its finest! People of all colors coming together and attempting to kill each other

AMERICA

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    yeah, pooro was pointing at the ridiculous double standard when it comes to the discussion of 'black-on-black violence'

Not to mention the overall police response.

Where's the post shooting aftermath beatings and pepper spray and general mistreatment that gets applied to protesters? One of the main pictures circulating shows a bunch of unhandcuffed bikers sitting on a curb dicking around on their phones while surrounded by police in their normal uniforms.

Just a huge double standard.

• Options
    Usagi wrote: »

AMERICA

And in what better state than Texas, who is frequently the heel of all down-the-nose looks and comments thanks to the whacky events and vocal crazy fuckers that give everybody on their high horse the ammunition they need to say bad things about everybody who resides in the state?

I read some Gawker comments like a fool this morning. Kinda set the tone for the day.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

I thought it was a "why are we talking about this when the racist violence/police violence is still ongoing" dig

I apologize for misunderstanding

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Usagi wrote: »

AMERICA

A melting pot full of bullets

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    The police were involved in the shoot out, some of the dead bikers were probably shot by the police.
    Bikers were handcuffed but others weren't, possibly because the police did not have enough handcuffs.

• Options
    rhylith wrote: »

Where's the post shooting aftermath beatings and pepper spray and general mistreatment that gets applied to protesters? One of the main pictures circulating shows a bunch of unhandcuffed bikers sitting on a curb dicking around on their phones while surrounded by police in their normal uniforms.

Well for one, nobody was protesting that the cops shot people who were actively engaged in beating, stabbing, and shooting other people.

I mean, for once you can look at a multi-agency response to a situation and go, "wow, they handled that like professionals"

If you want though you can go read Austin news about off duty detectives shooting people, or running people over while distracted by technology. Or San Marcos police slamming a girl's face into the sidewalk. Or a San Antonio police officer stealing shit from stores, or another officer sexually abusing women in custody.

Those would all be good things to protest and in turn receive an inappropriate response from the powers that be.

• Options
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    The police were involved in the shoot out, some of the dead bikers were probably shot by the police.
    Bikers were handcuffed but others weren't, possibly because the police did not have enough handcuffs.

Also a good point! You can only carry so many handcuffs and zip ties. 170?? That's a lot of arrests.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

Well for one, nobody was protesting that the cops shot people who were actively engaged in beating, stabbing, and shooting other people.

I mean, for once you can look at a multi-agency response to a situation and go, "wow, they handled that like professionals"

If you want though you can go read Austin news about off duty detectives shooting people, or running people over while distracted by technology. Or San Marcos police slamming a girl's face into the sidewalk. Or a San Antonio police officer stealing shit from stores, or another officer sexually abusing women in custody.

Those would all be good things to protest and in turn receive an inappropriate response from the powers that be.

That's not what I meant at all.

These violent criminals who just engaged in a gang war are being treated better than innocent people exercising their first amendment rights.

It's just yet another example of the double standard in policing.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

These violent criminals who just engaged in a gang war are being treated better than innocent people exercising their first amendment rights.

It could also be an example of these cops being better than the ones doing fucked up shit?

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    It's an example of how the police act when confronting white criminals.
    The fact that the police were vastly outnumbered also helps. You can't afford to antagonise the 150+ gang members you have under arrest.

• Options
    Darmak wrote: »

It could also be an example of these cops being better than the ones doing fucked up shit?

This is what I meant.

And even if they are violent criminals, once they're in custody, doesn't give anybody the right to abuse them.

I know that's what you're saying about innocent people that have suffered at the hands of people abusing their power, but this event really has no parallel (and none should be made) to current civil rights issues.

• Options
    "Here is our great opportunity! People we can beat with impunity because they are the fringe of criminal elements that almost everyone looks down upon!"

It would still be pretty fucked up!

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    No one said the police have the right to or should abuse anyone. Some people have said there are blatantly obvious, different standards when it comes to skin color and treatment of criminals. And that those different standards exist is screwed up. Those people would also be correct.

• Options
    Quid wrote: »
    No one said the police have the right to or should abuse anyone. Some people have said there are blatantly obvious, different standards when it comes to skin color and treatment of criminals. And that those different standards exist is screwed up. Those people would also be correct.

Yes. There are different standards.

Maybe I'm being incredibly stupid here, but are we saying that we're upset that no police brutality was reported? And that because these are largely white and Hispanic bikers, different standards were applied, and a predominantly black biker gang fight would have been witness to police brutality?

Or can we accept that maybe multiple agencies across the board performed as professionally as we hope and expect them to?

I will even concede that maybe because of all the other high profile shit that has gone down, these officers were cognizant of the need to conduct themselves professionally when handling their charges! This could be a step in the right direction.

Rather than try to apply LAPD, FPD, NYPD, and BPD actions here, we should laud them for handling situation as best as circumstances allowed, with no outside injury except for direct participants involved with the brawl, and one case of heat exhaustion from an officer.

In fact, I would argue the only people who should be condemned in this situation are the ones that failed to provide any worthwhile LiveLeak footage. I don't know why I care so much about this discussion. Other than it probably belongs in a separate thread for the events and not lumped into discussion where there certainly are civil and legal issues that need to be pursued regarding violent discriminatory police treatment of minority populations.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    No people are just pointing out the differences in how the police acted in these different situations. In one they over reacted, in the other they underreacted/acted as you should. One involved black people, the other involved a very dangerous situation. and yet the police response to the more dangerous situation is the more restrained response.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    People are upset that there's a stupidly unfair standard.

You keep trying to make that to mean they want the police to brutalize everyone when that is clearly not what anyone here wants.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    NBC-mugs.png
    Above: the aforementioned diversity I mentioned

Yes, they handled a dangerous situation with justified firepower. Yes, police act differently across the country. Yes, everything here was well done. First time I can legitimately say, good job Waco.

Dead Legend on
  • Options
    cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    One could also argue that the police were prepared for the event, so their response to it was more professional than a spontaneous event where emotions and fear come into play. They knew something was going to happen and probably had a response planned. That's a far cry from most of the incidents where it's a couple of cops handling an unexpected situation.

• Options
    Yes the police did indeed do a good job with that situation.

Which highlights why all the other situations are such bullshit.

• Options
    Yeah my argument doesn't hold much water when you stop to think that they acted correctly when they were prepared, but....shouldn't a cop be prepared for any situation, spontaneous or no?

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    cr0w wrote: »
    Yeah my argument doesn't hold much water when you stop to think that they acted correctly when they were prepared, but....shouldn't a cop be prepared for any situation, spontaneous or no?
    No, you're thinking of Batman. The best you can hope for is that they're armed with good judgement.

• Options
    That's what I meant. Prepared as in going to work understanding that they may face some bad shit, and they need to keep a clear head.

• Options
    No people are just pointing out the differences in how the police acted in these different situations. In one they over reacted, in the other they underreacted/acted as you should. One involved black people, the other involved a very dangerous situation. and yet the police response to the more dangerous situation is the more restrained response.

Okay, okay, I'll concede. Y'all are right. Police definitely treat majority white people involved in protests (seattle) and riots (any championship game in the midwest) than they do majority black people involved in protests (about police brutality) and riots (in response to abuse).

I guess we need to get the black biker gangs to go to Waco and find out just how this situation would play out, as they are completely separate incidents that really don't compare. Cause yeah, you had a shit ton of dudes sitting around guarded by guys with AR's and then in the other you had people demonstrating getting bumrushed and separated for arrest by riot police.

These are not events that really compare with each other. In one situation, you have a metropolitan area of 220k people and attendant police forces trying to de-escalate a situation, and in the other you have a metropolitan area of 2.7 million people and their longstanding police force tradition of abusing the fuck out of the black population cracking heads in response to them breaking someone's neck.

Yeah, the response was totally different. Do I sound like less of a dumbass trying to explain the way I've been considering these events? Or am I still a dumbass? Honest questions. No offense taken.

• Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    This thread is turning into a shitfight and I'm pretty sure we're all on the same side. Different places but the same side.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    NBC-mugs.png
    Above: the aforementioned diversity I mentioned

Yes, they handled a dangerous situation with justified firepower. Yes, police act differently across the country. Yes, everything here was well done. First time I can legitimately say, good job Waco.

Guy third row down, third from the left looks like Jared Leto

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    I love mugshot photography.

• Options
    cr0w wrote: »

What argument?

I literally agreed the police did a good job in that situation.

• Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    I read one quote where a cop who had been with Waco for 34 years says he's never seen this much violence ever.

I guess he didn't assist with the Branch-Davidians

He probably didn't, because that was pretty much all federal.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Police Officers leave their hand prints and DNA on the back of cars they pull over in preperation of their deaths or being incapacitated.

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    They also can't have bayonets anymore

Who the fuck thought policemen needed bayonets?

Probably no one. The army was probably just trying to get rid of a bunch of them and rifles that had attachments for them and a bunch of police departments said "Cool! New toys!"

That is correct, and that is exactly the reasoning that led to local police departments getting military equipment in the first place. The Pentagon had a ton of vehicles and gear that they needed to find a place for and it decided to offload the stuff on the police force. At first the police were (understandably) happy to get a lot of neat new stuff to play with, but when the new APC rips up the county roads and you're contractually forced to pay for $100 grand a year for its maintenance you start getting sick of the thing pretty quickly. IIRC a bunch of police and sheriff's departments are actively looking for better-funded departments to take them off their hands. (Before this change->) The Pentagon is refusing to take them back, because why let APCs rust in an armory in the Nevada desert when you can have someone else pay for the maintenance?

• Options
    Should be some cheap APC's coming to the civilian market then?

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Should be some cheap APC's coming to the civilian market then?

I just got this crazy new idea for an ectomobile...

This discussion has been closed.