As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Architecture, Landscape Design, and Interior Design!

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I mean it's gorgeous but 10 times over budget????

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Kind of a weird look for the Hamburg waterfront but maybe this will be the start of a new architectural renaissance in the area.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    I mean it's gorgeous but 10 times over budget????

It was ridiculously lowballed at the start with a budget of 77 mil € for political reasons and because public procurement law is shit. Add overwhelmed public officials missing the proper expertise for a project like this handling the building process and insufficent planning and budgeting on the contracting/developement side and there you go.
    tynic wrote: »
    Kind of a weird look for the Hamburg waterfront but maybe this will be the start of a new architectural renaissance in the area.

It's part of the Hafencity project, which is the largest urban planning project in Europe. building there started in 2001 and they're like half done at the moment. For comparision a few shots from the surrounding areas.

architektur-bild.jpg
    hafencity-hamburg-skyline-6847a12f-3327-4914-8d5b-83c6bd4448f8.jpg?width=1000
    norm_bild-41.jpg
    building-facades-5003-12093.jpg

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Peder Vilhelm Jensen-Klint's Grundtvigs Kirke, Copenhagen

CxeQ3DAWgAAVb9t.jpg:large

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    You can't just shop some cars into a bloodbourne screenshot and try to tell me its a real place

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Peder Vilhelm Jensen-Klint's Grundtvigs Kirke, Copenhagen

CxeQ3DAWgAAVb9t.jpg:large

Reminds me of a pipe organ.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    tumblr_offhfcDu8Z1qat99uo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_offhfcDu8Z1qat99uo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_offhfcDu8Z1qat99uo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_offhfcDu8Z1qat99uo5_1280.jpg

tumblr_offhfcDu8Z1qat99uo6_1280.jpg

tumblr_offhfcDu8Z1qat99uo10_1280.jpg

Hiroshi Nakamura & NAP - Cockpit in the forest house, Karuizawa

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    ...yeah, ok. This is where I want to live.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    What if living there came with the stipulation that a spooky figure would stand out in the woods at night and stare in through the windows?

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    What if living there came with the stipulation that a spooky figure would stand out in the woods at night and stare in through the windows?

Companionship!

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    And late at night you hear a low whisper as the wind blows through the trees

hey... you wanna play a couple games of Race for the Galaxy or something...?

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    If not pocket doors, put the pocket door tracks on a pivot so it can open out then slide back in
    tynic wrote: »
    ...yeah, ok. This is where I want to live.

Yeah, that right there is my jam.

As for the spooky figure - ever hear a fisher cat at night? That's living in the woods.

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    oh hey, it's that thread that keeps popping up once in a while to remind me that I still don't own that fucking castle.

I hate you, thread.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    tumblr_m894w6GXS61qih8w8.png

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    a map of Tokyo's metro transit system

it'd take me years to have that kind of thing memorized

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    tumblr_o80obizN1F1qbe766o1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_o80obizN1F1qbe766o2_1280.jpg
    tumblr_o80obizN1F1qbe766o3_1280.jpg
    tumblr_o80obizN1F1qbe766o4_1280.jpg
    tumblr_o80obizN1F1qbe766o6_1280.jpg
    mymodernmet.com/profiles/blogs/kazuyuki-ishihara-senri-sentei
    A garage might sound like an unseemly environment for lush vegetation, but award-winning landscape artist Kazuyuki Ishihara has built a jaw-dropping garden with a parked car as its centerpiece. At this year's Chelsea Flower Show in London, Ishihara presented Senri-Sentei, a two-tiered structure with a plentiful plot of plant life on its roof, a room with a chair and table, and a comfortable resting spot for an antique vehicle, creating a surprising harmony between garage and greenery.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »

In America most of the transit systems are shaped like cracks emitting from a central downtown region. The huge number of rounded routes here amazes me

the bottom right section without a spoke to the downtown seems like my own personal hell

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    Oghulk wrote: »

In America most of the transit systems are shaped like cracks emitting from a central downtown region. The huge number of rounded routes here amazes me

the bottom right section without a spoke to the downtown seems like my own personal hell

keep in mind that's not a geographically accurate map, it's designed for connection clarity and aesthetics over spacial accuracy, which can be misleading in how centralized or decentralized it actually is. Here's a map of the subways that's more spatially accurate: http://www.cityrailtransit.com/maps/tokyo_central_map.htm

it's admittedly still less centrally connected than any american transit system I've seen

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Image isn't working for me.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    ah they don't like being hotlinked
    try this link http://www.cityrailtransit.com/maps/tokyo_central_map.htm

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Even the accurately laid out map has a hell of a lot more loops than any western city I have ever seen

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Not sure how visible it is out of NZ, but if you're resourceful enough I'm sure you could find a way to watch it.

I've been watching a TV show that was on air last year. It's called "The New Zealand Home" and it's a 8 or 9 episode thing about the history of architecture in NZ, regarding the family dwellings.

Introduces some famous NZ architects and goes through the evolution of the NZ home through the decades.

I've absolutely loved the show and thought that some of you might enjoy it as well.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    to be fair Tokyo is also way more dense than any american city

and there are less cars

you might see some better comparisons between that metro layout and american highway systems

• Options
    oh I was thinking the fat grey lines on the first map were highways but now that you mention it I think they are rail lines after all

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I'm intrigued by tiny homes

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular

My inlaws live in one.

Not one of the truck trailer ones, a fixed property.

They desperately want us to take more vacations so they can cat sit and have a real shower and kitchen for a while.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »

My inlaws live in one.

Not one of the truck trailer ones, a fixed property.

They desperately want us to take more vacations so they can cat sit and have a real shower and kitchen for a while.

once watched one of the tiny home shows where a family of five were looking at no more than 100 sq ft per person and I was like 'that girl is fourteen she is going to move out and never speak to you ever again'

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    I just want to take this moment to say, I hate AutoCAD and I hate door schedules and combining the two is a hellish thing.

But what is worse is proofing water barrier details for an inept architect.

.... that is all.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Hi5

Spent the last hour of my day doing a finish schedule in CAD

Of course I've spent the last 15.5 years on CAD so nothing new

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Can you download CAD files from the manufacturer?

Xaquin on
  • Options
    Pardon?

• Options
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

2DLe4vk.jpg

you can if you support his patreon

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    that Senri-Sentei garden makes it look like a Mini is some kind of gourd that grows on a vine, and is then enchanted by fairies to turn into a car, Cinderella-style

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »

2DLe4vk.jpg

you can if you support his patreon

Has that photo been edited or does Tim Buckley have short legs?

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    it's just perspective, tim buckley is a perfectly healthy young man with fully functional, length-proportional legs

it's a shoop

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular

I stumbled across this on reddit a while ago, and it sums up how I feel about tiny houses: it's not the small size I like; it's that working under extreme constraints forces architects to design spaces that are actually functional. But then, I've always felt like American home designs are built on a core set of principles that make no sense whatsoever.

A Tiny Luxury: What are “Tiny Houses” Really Saying About Architecture?
    In an introductory video to the Getaway concept, the company’s CEO John Staff opens with a strong and relatable message: “The housing we have doesn’t work very well for the millennial generation; the form is wrong, the function is wrong, the social aspect is wrong, [and] the geography is wrong.” Yet for the rest of the video, the details of what exactly is wrong with these aspects of housing remains undisclosed. It is difficult to accept a “Tiny House” as the solution when the problem is unknown.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    I like the tiny house concept, but that video annoyed me. "Small, Simple Affordable" was the catch phrase. Apartments can do almost everything a tiny home can do but better. If everyone went tiny home we would just see a smaller version of the suburbs. It's like they expect these city centers to decentralize and go camp out in the country or some such. It just screams to me "We're not selling these houses to millennials, but we're selling these houses to Tech Bros who don't have to commute to do their job". Tiny houses are nice where the population density is already low or as a small percentage in a high density area. Also fuck composting toilets for any long term living (I know these are vacation rentals, but still). I mean it's not a new concept, KOAs have been renting cabins for forever.

for the people that make it work, that is awesome and more power to you, but I still see the super low square footage trend as a transitory state for people, especially single folks or childless couples.
    In an introductory video to the Getaway concept, the company’s CEO John Staff opens with a strong and relatable message: “The housing we have doesn’t work very well for the millennial generation; the form is wrong, the function is wrong, the social aspect is wrong, [and] the geography is wrong.” Yet for the rest of the video, the details of what exactly is wrong with these aspects of housing remains undisclosed. It is difficult to accept a “Tiny House” as the solution when the problem is unknown.

I liked that part of the quote. It's true. While I don't necessarily think traditional home ownership works the same any more with the transitional nature of the job market these days, I think there can be something to be said for having a bit of space.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    @Liiya

You'll be interested!

So there's been some ongoing road construction up north of here, widening the road and so forth to try and make traffic in the mornings better. They've got everything almost done now and it looks amazing.

A main lane for primary traffic going both ways, with a 2nd lane for T2/bus lane. But the best part is the sidewalks. On each side they've been split into 2 for the most part. A light grey paving for the bike path, which is close to the road and dips down into the road at intersections and then back up again on the other side. And a white paving for the pedestrian traffic. At crosswalks and driveways the two 'lanes' join together into more grey paving, but then separate again.

There's some planting in between the walkways/bikeways and it looks like some neat drainage has also been put in, as well as a planted and green median strip down between the auto traffic lanes.

Saw this all while we were driving past and all I could think of was "man, Liiya would enjoy this!" so I had to tell you