As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Online ticket sites can't keep up with the [Star Wars] hype. New trailer in OP!

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6_XBSRVY38
    Someone built a model of the Eclipse Class Super Star Destroyer.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Battlefront 2015 doesn't have prequel stuff

Sounds like the better game

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    This is real dumb

For reasons we went over last time the image popped up, but mainly because the devs have confirmed shit in that image is straight up wrong and they have barely confirmed any info about the gane

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Also like half of those studios are still open and making games

(EA does for real have a history of buying studios and then shuttering them though)

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    That link sure is a thing.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    so that site is basically time-holocron

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Yeah putting "none are confirmed playable" on the list of cons is pretty much admitting you are full of shit.

Moth 13 on
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    That link sure is a thing.

love that music tho

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Let's run through their list

1. Origin Systems: Killed in 2004
    2. Westwood Studios: Liquidated in 2003
    3. D.I.C.E.: Just released Battlefield: Hardline, working on Star Wars Battlefront (Which is on the fuckin' front page of that site :razz:) and the new Mirror's Edge.
    4. Criterion Studios: Cut it's staff in 2013; working on an untitled game with ATV's and shit (shown off at E3 2014)
    5. MAXIS Software: Non-Sims Studios shut down in 2015
    6. Bullfrog Productions: Shut down and absorbed in 2001
    7. Bioware: Just released Dragon Age: Inquistion, working on untitled Mass Effect and Star Wars games
    8. Mythic Entertainment: Shut down in 2014
    9. Visceral Games: Just released Battlefield: Hardline, working on Star Wars: Battlefront
    10. Pandemic Studios: Shut down in 2009
    11. Black Box Games: Shut down in 2013

So out of 11 studios, 4 are still operating. (Though it's looking like Visceral is basically stuck working on DICE games now)

Anyone else EA has acquired and is still operating?

EDIT: Oh jeeze

DreamWorks Interactive/Danger Close/EA Los Angeles (Medal of Honor) - Purchased by EA in 2000; shut down in 2013.

Phenomic (SpellForce, BattleForge) - Purchased by EA in 2006; shut down in 2013.

PlayFish (The Sims Social) - Purchased by EA in 2009; shut down in 2013.

NuFX (NBA Street) - Purchased by EA in 2004; shut down in 2007.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Well, I mean, could you imagine a business trying to operate and pay workers of 15 studios + whatever they have in house already? They wouldn't turn any profits. Its not great, but its not like they as a company invented buying out your competition.

• Options
    I'm just surprised anyone is willing to sell their company to EA anymore.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I'm just surprised anyone is willing to sell their company to EA anymore.

if ea wanted my company I would sell the shit out of it to ea

give me all that money

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I would also immediately let everyone know "Hey, I just sold that shit to EA and am using the money to open an orphanage and a new game studio, just a heads up."

• Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    I would also immediately let everyone know "Hey, I just sold that shit to EA and am using the money to open an orphanage and a new game studio, just a heads up."

Which is what's happened in quite a number of cases. EA got Westwood, but a lot of key staff immediately jumped ship which helped speed the studio to its demise

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Bioware is basically a label EA uses on certain studios now.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

They stopped doing that after like a year, didn't they?

Bioware is just Bioware again.

• Options

Did they? Small relief.

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    Well, I mean, could you imagine a business trying to operate and pay workers of 15 studios + whatever they have in house already? They wouldn't turn any profits. Its not great, but its not like they as a company invented buying out your competition.

this doesn't make any sense. if a given studio is profitable, it is profitable. there is no critical mass of offices where suddenly the whole operation is losing money because the checks are going to an additional location

• Options

Did they? Small relief.
    If I remember right the only Bioware things beyond the original were Bioware Houston (I think?) which did/does TOR and has some carry over from the original, Bioware Victory which was gonna make that Command and Conquer game but ended up folding and when they made Mythic Bioware Mythic which was kinda gross yeah

it honestly wasn't that bad in hindsight

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »

this doesn't make any sense. if a given studio is profitable, it is profitable. there is no critical mass of offices where suddenly the whole operation is losing money because the checks are going to an additional location

Sure, if a studio is profitable, it's profitable.
    But if that studio's profits are being divided up by the studio's owners in order to prop up a half dozen unprofitable studios that are hemorrhaging money trying to crank out their next game in hopes that it won't be a monumental failure riddled with game breaking bugs and a graphic engine that was top of the line 3 years ago when they started (before the corporate bigwigs started adding their "advice")... Well, the profits from that profitable studio suddenly don't seem to go as far for that studio.

Yeah, it's bullshit Hollywood accounting, but that seems to be the way things go more often than not.

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    yeah, that's either bad investment (bought something that was already losing money) or bad management (fucking up something that was already working). I don't think anyone is gonna argue that ea hasn't done plenty of that. but it has nothing to do with how many studios they own.

no one would say 'how is mcdonald's still is business? they have to operate and pay workers at 2000 different locations'

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I finally watched those auralnauts star wars videos.

They were only a little funny.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

Oh thank god someone else feels this way

I thought I was going insane

• Options
    I beat the Sith Inquisitor storyline the other night in SWTOR.

Is it me or did the snark lose a lot of its potency after Chapter 1 was over? Or maybe a lot of sarcasm is saved for the writing in planet quests, which I was skipping thanks to the XP boost?

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

Oh thank god someone else feels this way

I thought I was going insane
    They aren't amazing but they definitely have their moments.

• Options
    There's enough quotable from them to make it worthwhile, but I couldn't really stand watching Attack of the Friend Zone more than once.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    They're pretty fun to watch but they are great to quote, which I feel is most of the appeal right there.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I beat the Sith Inquisitor storyline the other night in SWTOR.

Is it me or did the snark lose a lot of its potency after Chapter 1 was over? Or maybe a lot of sarcasm is saved for the writing in planet quests, which I was skipping thanks to the XP boost?

Yeah, the character, almost by necessity due to the events of the story, has a lot more serious attitude in the class stuff for chapter 2 and 3 (though a bit of it comes back in the post-Corellia stuff). A lot of the snark from chapter 2 onward comes from doing world quests, probably because there's not nearly as much reason to do them, so the character is clearly doing these odd jobs just for fun.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    So there's some Korean comic that is free for viewing online for a limited time that tells the story of Luke growing up on Tatooine.

Someone please translate this because it looks great but I can't read it.

(There are multiple pages of it, at the bottom there are thumbnails that will take you to the next chapter.)

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Where do you go to get good equipment. in the old republic.

I'm either terrible at the game or I have bad equipment, I'm level 19 and am defeated by level 16 imperial commandos.

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    There should be two commendation vendors on each planet and two per planet on the fleet station as well.

The vendors on the planet are in the starting base and are usually grouped with the rest of the vendors.

You can buy gear from those guys for basic commendations and get your gear up. They start out with blue quality armor and orange (moddable) weapons and around 18-20 start having moddable gear on the vendors.

Then you can just keep updating the gear with mods from the mod vendor if you like the look.

There should also be a Specialty Vendor near the commendation vendors on each planet that sells gear for credits.

Also, Blake, if you're short on commendations, there's a weekly quest on the fleet to do the group finder that will get you about 10 or so commendations and then there's a daily bonus too.

If you feel like putting up with people.

Yukira on
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Pretty much what Yukira said, I eventually learned you should always take the basic commendations as a quest reward. Plus as part of that bundle we bought (or maybe it's just a reward for subscribing I dunno) I got in the mail two sets of orange armor that have mod slots. The base armor is shit but once you stuff armor and stat mods in it becomes super good.

Also don't buy mods on planet, I've found that if you go to the imperial fleet(or whatever the big hub is for the light side) they sell mods for 2 commendations each.

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    The armoring will set the item's level and armor rating and give you the base stats. The mod and enhancement slots allow you to add more stats.

For weapons, it's barrel/hilt that determine the weapon damage and item level.

So even if the mod and enhancement slots on your item are a few levels behind, keeping the armorings and hilt/barrel up to date will help a lot.

Yukira on
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    As for combat, a good rule of thumb is that pretty much every enemy in a pack does the same damage, so try to crowd control groups with more than one strong/silver mob and focus on killing off the weak/standard ones quickly. If you don't have any CC, siccing your companion on a target that you are not attacking works pretty well for a bit.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    This thread made me wonder if there was ever a star wars RTS, and there was, and it's 5$ on gog, so I know what I'm doing after work tonight

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    So I'm watching Clone Wars and I'm really curious how Bossk takes Boba Fett seriously later in life after having worked with him as little baby shits his pants.

Do you think he teases him?

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Relentlessly

• Options
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    So I'm watching Clone Wars and I'm really curious how Bossk takes Boba Fett seriously later in life after having worked with him as little baby shits his pants.

Do you think he teases him?

Didn't that wind up being his twin brother, Bosssk?

This discussion has been closed.