As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Online ticket sites can't keep up with the [Star Wars] hype. New trailer in OP!

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    i know this is more of a Star Trek thing, but Nichelle Nichols apparently had a stroke: http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/star-trek-star-nichelle-nichols-stroke-1201512719/

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Darmak wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    el_vicio wrote: »
    My only gripe with this:
    why Western and not Spaghetti Western?

I mean, it was vague
    It doesn't rule that out

I've heard the term "spaghetti western" before but I don't know how it differs from a regular western. Anyone care to elaborate?

In the 1960s european particularly italian filmmakers started making westerns. At the time lots of american westerns were more of the classical John Wayne type with heroic and clean protagonists. The italo western generally more ambiguous protagonists.

I think it is not that easy to distinguish anymore as more modern western movies have incorporated much of what made italo/spaghetti westerns special.

Some stylistic devices though are extreme long shots and also extreme detail shots (see also italian shot) with fast cuts.
    Lots of dead people, for its time sometimes quite brutal.
    Also the score is easiliy identifiable in an italo western with Morricone basically being the proto-italo-western-composer.

honovere on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    i know this is more of a Star Trek thing, but Nichelle Nichols apparently had a stroke: http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/star-trek-star-nichelle-nichols-stroke-1201512719/

fuck

• Options
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Labeling a bunch of low budget Western movies as "spaghetti westerns" cause they were shot in Italy seems kinda....racsisty? Like questionable

the 60s

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    An Italian critic coined the term, so take that as you will

• Options
    An Italian critic coined the term, so take that as you will

it was originally derisive, but now the genre has become so well respected that's it's a term of endearment

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Labeling a bunch of low budget Western movies as "spaghetti westerns" cause they were shot in Italy seems kinda....racsisty? Like questionable

Well I mean, technically most of them were shot in Spain

(by an Italian crew)

Joolander on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »

Well I mean, technically most of them were shot in Spain

(by an Italian crew)

Paella Westerns

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    They also, like, literally ate big piles of spaghetti on set

mkc.png
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I thought spaghetti western's main food was beans?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u_JtZ9b8LI

• Options
    edited June 2015
    -

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Man this latest issue of Star Wars sure is something, huh

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Man this latest issue of Star Wars sure is something, huh

And Darth Vader makes some things in Empire much clearer.

I like the supporting cast in that book. It'll be a shame when they die horribly.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I've been enjoying all of the Star Wars books but Vader has easily been my favorite of the three.

The big scene in this week's issue was incredibly well done

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    How many issues are there of these new Star Wars comics?

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »
    6 of Star Wars, 6 of Vader, 4 of Princess Leia (which is 5 issue miniseries) and a new 5 issue miniseries straring Lando starts next monrh

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    So not very hard to get into yet huh.

I might pick them up. I need to go to my comic shop to get a superman key chain anyway.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    6 of Star Wars, 6 of Vader, 4 of Princess Leia (which is 5 issue miniseries) and a new 5 issue miniseries straring Lando starts next monrh

Any news on when (or if) they'll be collected in trades?
    I've grown to dislike individual comic books, they just take up too much space, and waiting for the next issue drives me bonkers.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I think it's weird that the Marvel comics have been totally okay with not only acknowledging, but PORTRAYING stuff from the prequels

They could clean-slate all that stuff and just go ahead and keep using it

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    see317 wrote: »

Any news on when (or if) they'll be collected in trades?
    I've grown to dislike individual comic books, they just take up too much space, and waiting for the next issue drives me bonkers.
    Should be in the next month or two

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I think it's weird that the Marvel comics have been totally okay with not only acknowledging, but PORTRAYING stuff from the prequels

They could clean-slate all that stuff and just go ahead and keep using it
    I mean but the prequels are still canon

So they can't just ignore that they happened and there are still cool stories to be told in that era, and certain events were super important for characters like Vader and need to be acknowledged

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I guess

But the latest Darth Vader included a flashback to the infamous "Noooooo" scene and a reference to General Grevious

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    That Flashback was great though!

The whole scene was great!

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular

There's also a mini-series based on one of the characters from the Rebels animated series.

STWKANAN2015003-DC11-e9c66.jpg

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    what's that starfighter

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    How is Rebels, anyway?

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    I've been enjoying all of the Star Wars books but Vader has easily been my favorite of the three.

i haven't been reading the comics but i saw that scene on tumblr, and dang

daaang

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    How is Rebels, anyway?

Haven't seen it past the first episode but it looks pretty nice. They did a pretty cool thing for a special showing on ABC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc_G03kx0A4

Yep, that's him.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    How is Rebels, anyway?

Starts off as kind of inoffensively fun, but nothing particularly great.

Really starts upping its game as the season goes on, and ended with a fantastic finale.

Season 2 looks like they're taking it in a bit darker direction, which is great.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular

The interplay between Star Wars and Darth Vader is soooo good.

It's so bad-ass to see Vader walk off panel in one book, and then onto panel in the next. That must take some really tight coordination between Aaron and Gillen and their editor, and it's just done so perfectly. That kind of continuity is why I really love comics.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I imagine they have to tightly coordinate things with the Star Wars Story group (or whatever their called) in the first place, so coordinating with other writers isn't that big of an additional hurdle.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

i haven't been reading the comics but i saw that scene on tumblr, and dang

daaang

I would be interested in seeing this.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Kana wrote: »
    How is Rebels, anyway?
    Starts off as kind of inoffensively fun, but nothing particularly great.
    Really starts upping its game as the season goes on, and ended with a fantastic finale.
    Season 2 looks like they're taking it in a bit darker direction, which is great.
    Totally agree. I was really tempted to stop watching the series after about the second or third episode where it looked like it was going to be "Disney Presents: Star Wars: Aladdin", but the show really picks up as it goes along.

I hope they don't go too grim dark in season 2.

• Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    I bought some original illustrations by Mike Villardi from the West End Games Star Wars RPG and just got them back from the framing store today:

6lberflxda0o.jpg

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Hey so Star Wars E3 stuff:

Battlefront HOTH looked AWESOME until the rebels used Jetpacks. Took me right out of it. They're fine! It's fine! It's just...it went from "immersive" to "video gameshooter" in the blink of an eye.

Also, everyone is joking about "Bro White Guys" for the Old Republic expansion trailer, but I thought it was rad as hell.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    Hey so Star Wars E3 stuff:

Battlefront HOTH looked AWESOME until the rebels used Jetpacks. Took me right out of it. They're fine! It's fine! It's just...it went from "immersive" to "video gameshooter" in the blink of an eye.

Also, everyone is joking about "Bro White Guys" for the Old Republic expansion trailer, but I thought it was rad as hell.

They didn't have little jetpacks (and use wires) in the movie?

Goose! on
  • Options
    They didn't but I think my brain might have some crossed wires between Interstellar and Star Wars because it just feels right.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I picked this up the other week. I'm looking for a similarly themed Rebel Alliance one I can put next to it.

SWOTLTD93.jpg

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    I picked this up the other week. I'm looking for a similarly themed Rebel Alliance one I can put next to it.

SWOTLTD93.jpg

Traitor.

• Options
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »

SWOTLTD93.jpg

Traitor.
    I'm pretty sure that the side that calls itself "The Rebellion" is, by definition, the traitors.
    Just saying.

This discussion has been closed.