As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Flash]: Wally Goes West (SPOILERS)

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    With the Flash's power, you don't even have to be evil to be a villain. You can merely be incompetent. Well-meaning, but clumsy, like a drunk elephant.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    With the Flash's power, you don't even have to be evil to be a villain. You can merely be incompetent. Well-meaning, but clumsy, like a drunk elephant.

So basically Barry? Like seriously if not for all the kitten saving he'd be a menace Oliver Queen would have to flowers for algernon.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

So basically Barry? Like seriously if not for all the kitten saving he'd be a menace Oliver Queen would have to flowers for algernon.

Better ending for him than Of Mice and Men, which is probably the way Season 1 Arrow would have gone.

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Obviously, the main villain will be Barry Allen.

Nah they'll go meta and have it be a writer who can magically change the whole world how he fits.

I have a villain for the Flash!

Now follow me here, we got the Flash going around, messing with the timestream, and by doing so the time when the Flash is active becomes super unstable. One of the metahumans created by the Dark Matter can see the alterations to the time line, and he can mold it by writing it down. Of course, it seems to be hard to effect the Flash directly (or anyone with a secret identity) because that's just a title, like Mayor or President. However, if the Writer can learn of their real name, the name they identify as, he can effect them. So he goes on a personal mission to stop the Flash because he can see the damage that the Flash is doing to the time line, and that if the Flash keeps on, he will break reality, destroying time itself. He sees the Flash as a villain, and works hard to discovers the Flash's real name.

I don't have a name for him (yes, I get it's basically Death Note) but I think it would be awesome to see the Flash deal with a character that is powerful without being fast.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    And the big bad for Season 3 is:
    Another Speedster who has access to the Speed Force.

Savitar's Wikipedia entry.

Why do you this to me, tv show?
    And I'm a Savitar fan. Give speedster big bads a break for a few seasons before going back, guys.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Obviously, the main villain will be Barry Allen.

Nah they'll go meta and have it be a writer who can magically change the whole world how he fits.

I have a villain for the Flash!

Now follow me here, we got the Flash going around, messing with the timestream, and by doing so the time when the Flash is active becomes super unstable. One of the metahumans created by the Dark Matter can see the alterations to the time line, and he can mold it by writing it down. Of course, it seems to be hard to effect the Flash directly (or anyone with a secret identity) because that's just a title, like Mayor or President. However, if the Writer can learn of their real name, the name they identify as, he can effect them. So he goes on a personal mission to stop the Flash because he can see the damage that the Flash is doing to the time line, and that if the Flash keeps on, he will break reality, destroying time itself. He sees the Flash as a villain, and works hard to discovers the Flash's real name.

I don't have a name for him (yes, I get it's basically Death Note) but I think it would be awesome to see the Flash deal with a character that is powerful without being fast.

I...actually kind of like this. It's sort of like how the Legends were the villains who were messing stuff up (because they are so fucking incompetent) until we found out the time lords masters were the ones being manipulated, except hopefully it would be more clever that a guy with a big gun who is apparently invulnerable (at least until he joins the side of the good guys).

• Options

And I'm a Savitar fan. Give speedster big bads a break for a few seasons before going back, guys.
    Got to stick with what's working! It is working right?
    right?

• Options
    LostNinja wrote: »

Got to stick with what's working! It is working right?
    right?

...Well, we're still talking about the show. Something's got to be working.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Posted last page, but yeah. Mixed feelings about trying to do Flashpoint - they've got enough shows to do a timeline altering event justice, I'm just nervous over the folk who did most of last season of Flash running it.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    They've already said, as expected, that it's "their own version" of Flashpoint ergo nothing like it probably. No Thomas Wayne, no pass go, show! Hopefully the rest of the season improves.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    They've already said, as expected, that it's "their own version" of Flashpoint ergo nothing like it probably. No Thomas Wayne, no pass go, show! Hopefully the rest of the season improves.
    Which is a damn shame, because they could bring back Jamey Sheridan as Robert Queen and do an absurdly close interpretation.

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    From what I've heard, Flashpoint is just one episode, then Barry goes back, fixes everything, but not everything is 100% the way it was. And Flashpoint won't effect the other shows.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    From what I've heard, Flashpoint is just one episode, then Barry goes back, fixes everything, but not everything is 100% the way it was. And Flashpoint won't effect the other shows.

Well that would be an enormous missed opportunity

• Options

This single sentence sums up so much of The Flash that it's not even funny. Well, okay, maybe a little funny.
    Just missed opportunity after opportunity.

• Options

This assumes though that everyone watching those other shows watches the flash or vice versa. If I just watched arrow and not flash, I would be kind or annoyed that something I don't understand on that show was messing with the plot lines on the show I do watch.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I thought it had been mentioned that Arrow was going to have a change to it, but it was going to be "very subtle".

sig.gif
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »

This assumes though that everyone watching those other shows watches the flash or vice versa. If I just watched arrow and not flash, I would be kind or annoyed that something I don't understand on that show was messing with the plot lines on the show I do watch.

They already do big crossovers. I legitimately think at this point they aren't thinking about viewers of Arrow or viewers of The Flash, or whatever else. They're assuming (probably rightly) that people watch all of the Arrow-verse shows.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Seems like something that would be a simplish fix using a "Previously on Arrow and The Flash" prologue. tbh I am most interested to see how Supergirl gets moved over onto the CW Earth.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    I just hope they don't not move Supergirl over onto the same Earth as the other shows.

Like, it would take a wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey event to justify it because Kara's Earth is quite different what with all the aliens and so forth. But they still need to do it.

• Options
    I just hope they don't not move Supergirl over onto the same Earth as the other shows.

Like, it would take a wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey event to justify it because Kara's Earth is quite different what with all the aliens and so forth. But they still need to do it.

If ever there was a series that could justify wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey events to justify convoluted plot twists, it's Dr. Who.
    But if there was a second series (or set of series), it'd be CW's DC.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I suspect that the Supergirl merger will take place during the Christmas/Thanksgiving era crossover, some sort of big time implosion that involves all four shows and then has a soft reset on a few things.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    The more you guys talk about the things that need to be done the less excited I am for the future.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Your hope, that is what we have taken from you. You are a man without a show.

AlphaRomero on
  • Options
    The more you guys talk about the things that need to be done the less excited I am for the future.

I don't think expecting the shows within a shared universe to be set on the same version of Earth is an outlandish demand.

Like, at all.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular

I don't think expecting the shows within a shared universe to be set on the same version of Earth is an outlandish demand.

Like, at all.

I wasn't implying that. Just with how bad last season was I'm fearful of how things will go this time around. They didn't really have anything that needed to be setup last season. Now there is clearly a goal.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Like, at all.

I wasn't implying that. Just with how bad last season was I'm fearful of how things will go this time around. They didn't really have anything that needed to be setup last season. Now there is clearly a goal.

We just have to hope the good writers that must have started on arrow, then moved to Flash for season 1 before moving to supergirl are the ones handling all of this.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Hey guys, remember Patty? The show still has good in it, I believe it can be as good as it was for the first part of last year!

*cue a heroic redemption arc for writers of the show*

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Hey guys, remember Patty? The show still has good in it, I believe it can be as good as it was for the first part of last year!

Holy crap Patty was just last season....

• Options
    I think their big mistake was the classic Marvel one, killing off their main villain. I guess that even if he lived, having Wells as the Reverse Flash wouldn't mean he could appear as often, but honestly I only started watching The Flash when it was about 4 eps off the end of its second season, and it was Wells that drew me into that first season. He was a great and complex villain.

And there's nothing wrong in principle with Zoom. Reverse Flash without the foresight and intelligence, just a pure lust for power and glory, it's a solid concept. The problem seemed to be that they had no kind of overall arc, they didn't know where they wanted to end up, so it gets to the end and they pad it out by taking Flash's powers away and switching Zoom's goals constantly. Plus revealing Zoom as Jay. It sucked all the threat out of him because they act completely differently, there's no reason Jay talks slower, or like Tony Todd, or has the weird mask except because. I'd have kept him masked until the end, kill Zoom, unmask him, do your flashback then, where we don't have to deal with the disconnect between the man in and out of the mask.

Even the goal to destroy the multiverse to ensure he is the fastest, good idea, use that throughout the ENTIRE series and not the last 3 episodes when he's already set out he wants to conquer Earths and he's going to count himself by worlds conquered.

I think season 1 definitely had a much more detailed plan of where it wanted to go and how it wanted to get there. And the revival of that Wells and him not being an idiot in season 2 were pretty fun.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    No matter what happens, time travel in this season of Flash will be harshly judged against the gold standard of "how to do time travel fuckery in a Sci-fi show"

by which I mean SG-1.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Whatever happens the consequences need to be SEVERE. He's able to do it now far too frequently and easy that leaving it on the table as an option will undermine every story going forward.

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    No matter what happens, time travel in this season of Flash will be harshly judged against the gold standard of "how to do time travel fuckery in a Sci-fi show"

by which I mean SG-1.

Window of Opportunity is so good!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    jclast wrote: »

by which I mean SG-1.

Window of Opportunity is so good!

Arguably the best episode of the series. Easily the best comedy episode of a non-Farscape science fiction show I've ever seen.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular

I remember everyone saying Barry needs to being stupid and hurry up and tell her he is the Flash. I mean I liked Patty but damnit Barry you are not good at lying to your detective girlfriend.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

by which I mean SG-1.

That's a weird thing to call Babylon 5.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

by which I mean SG-1.

That's a weird thing to call Babylon 5.

Is that how the kids are referring to Rick and Morty these days?

I will never understand the youth.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I was very specifically referring to Moebius, the two-parter "series finale" that wasn't.

Best time travel episode in all of sci-fi, as far as I'm concerned.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote: »

I remember everyone saying Barry needs to being stupid and hurry up and tell her he is the Flash. I mean I liked Patty but damnit Barry you are not good at lying to your detective girlfriend.
    He's not good at lying to those he cares about in general. The thread raged that he wasn't telling Iris in the first season too.

sig.gif
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I was very specifically referring to Moebius, the two-parter "series finale" that wasn't.

Best time travel episode in all of sci-fi, as far as I'm concerned.

Window of Opportunity blew that out of the water, mainly because of that "series finale that wasn't" crap.

This discussion has been closed.