As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Flash]: Wally Goes West (SPOILERS)

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Just say "no" to drug addiction character arcs.

latest?cb=20070328064242

They're all bad. It doesn't matter whether it has an occult spin (as in your example, also Supernatural did the same thing with Sam) or if it's just a stock soap opera plot with booze or smack. There's no fresh spin for this storyline. Everyone has seen it a dozen times.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

latest?cb=20070328064242

They're all bad. It doesn't matter whether it has an occult spin (as in your example, also Supernatural did the same thing with Sam) or if it's just a stock soap opera plot with booze or smack. There's no fresh spin for this storyline. Everyone has seen it a dozen times.

I wasn't defending it, actually - though I did enjoy Willow finally going dark in the end there. It simply felt appropriate to post it :)

• Options

latest?cb=20070328064242

I wasn't defending it, actually - though I did enjoy Willow finally going dark in the end there. It simply felt appropriate to post it :)

The overall plot of that season wasn't bad, but pretty much all the scenes dealing with Willow's 'problem' that were riffed from afterschool specials were god awful.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Nothing will ever beat Jessie getting hooked on caffeine pills on Saved by the Bell.

"I'm so excited! I'm so excited! I'm so...scared!"

https://youtu.be/bflYjF90t7c

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Nothing will ever beat Jessie getting hooked on caffeine pills on Saved by the Bell.

There's no hope with dope.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

There's no hope with dope.

Caffine is an upper though

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Saved by the Bell makes me feel like a fucking alien. I grew up in that era. Everyone in my generation has this weird nostalgia for it. I hated it back in the day and I hate it more now. It might as well be in Chinese.

Maybe it's part of the collective oeuvre of "things for straight people" that I just don't get and never will.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Saved by the Bell makes me feel like a fucking alien. I grew up in that era. Everyone in my generation has this weird nostalgia for it. I hated it back in the day and I hate it more now. It might as well be in Chinese.

Maybe it's part of the collective oeuvre of "things for straight people" that I just don't get and never will.

It is more fun if you consider it a prequel to Showgirls.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Except that then you have to watch Showgirls, and that kind of takes away any fun you may have gained.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

As a straight dude, I would actively fight my siblings to change the damn channel because I could not stand to watch "Saved by the Bell", you are not alone. :bro:

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Saved by the Bell sucked. Only live action kids show I liked was Clarissa Explains it All.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Until Critical Failures had a phalla on Saved by the Bell, I never even heard of it. Saved by Ignorance?

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Saved by the Bell sucked. Only live action kids show I liked was Clarissa Explains it All.

For Canadian kids there was Degrassi, which I'm told is very good.

Also, I remember a PBS show called "Ghost Writer" which had some sort of magic blue ball that would spell things.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular

Definitely not a straight thing. I couldn't stand that show. It looks like I wasn't the only one either.

• Options
    Nitsua wrote: »

Definitely not a straight thing. I couldn't stand that show. It looks like I wasn't the only one either.

Maybe everyone just likes it ironically and I've been left out of the joke all these years then.

Because the show was garbage back in the day and it certainly hasn't aged well in the meantime.

• Options
    Yo Ghost Writer was my jam

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Nitsua wrote: »

Maybe everyone just likes it ironically and I've been left out of the joke all these years then.

Because the show was garbage back in the day and it certainly hasn't aged well in the meantime.

Sort of? I mean, 90s irony is some weird fucking shit. It's liking something for sucking in an ironic way, then watching it a lot, then losing all sense of taste from extended exposure, then in the end you're paying for Netflix so you can watch season 2 of Fuller House.

It's a bad scene.

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I was talking to someone at work about the whole "Only 90s kids remember the 90s". The 90s was the last innocent decade. Everything was going right. Housing market was great, wars were foreign things we barely thought about, and our TV mirrored that. Sitcoms were about people whose lives were easy and their problems were comedic. Our movies were about guys with guns shooting Russians and Germans. We had no worries.

Then 9/11 happened and we lost that innocent. Suddenly terrorist wasn't something John McClane fought, it was something we were fighting at home. Then the housing market blew, our economy when to shit, and now we have Trump running for President. The 2000s onward didn't have the unique identity that the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s had and no other decade will for quite awhile.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    I was talking to someone at work about the whole "Only 90s kids remember the 90s". The 90s was the last innocent decade. Everything was going right. Housing market was great, wars were foreign things we barely thought about, and our TV mirrored that. Sitcoms were about people whose lives were easy and their problems were comedic. Our movies were about guys with guns shooting Russians and Germans. We had no worries.

Then 9/11 happened and we lost that innocent. Suddenly terrorist wasn't something John McClane fought, it was something we were fighting at home. Then the housing market blew, our economy when to shit, and now we have Trump running for President. The 2000s onward didn't have the unique identity that the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s had and no other decade will for quite awhile.

The 90s were the decade when nothing particularly bad was happening (to us, specifically). 50s-80s? Nuclear war on the horizon! Before that? WWII, Prohibition and the depression, WWI, the early industrial revolution...

Growing up in the 90s meant being born into one of the most comfortable eras in human history, and thinking of that as the default.

It did not do a good job of preparing people for when the world resumed its usual patterns.

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular

Also, I remember a PBS show called "Ghost Writer" which had some sort of magic blue ball that would spell things.

Had a magic blue ball that was the ghost of a slave that got murdered by his masters for learning to read and teaching the other slaves.

• Options
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

The 90s were the decade when nothing particularly bad was happening (to us, specifically). 50s-80s? Nuclear war on the horizon! Before that? WWII, Prohibition and the depression, WWI, the early industrial revolution...

Growing up in the 90s meant being born into one of the most comfortable eras in human history, and thinking of that as the default.

It did not do a good job of preparing people for when the world resumed its usual patterns.

Also the practically cosmic leap in technology over the course of the decade.

• Options
    I was born in 78 so I remember the 80's as well as the 90's. The 1980's wasn't the most terrifying part of the cold war but there was still some cold war fear to be found and a lot of pumped up nationalism. The 90's were largely better.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

Had a magic blue ball that was the ghost of a slave that got murdered by his masters for learning to read and teaching the other slaves.

Is that canon? Holy shit.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »

Is that canon? Holy shit.

Technically not part of the show, but that's how it was envisioned.
    http://fort-greene.thelocal.nytimes.com/2010/05/06/“ghostwriter”-revisits-fort-greene-past/

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    see317 wrote: »

Except that then you have to watch Showgirls, and that kind of takes away any fun you may have gained.

Anything is possible with enough alcohol, my friend!

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular

Except make the ending to Flash season 2 good. Trust me I tried.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TNTrooper wrote: »

Well, if you'd drunk enough, you would have died, and the Flash season finale would not be a problem! Miracles!

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular

Well, if you'd drunk enough, you would have died, and the Flash season finale would not be a problem! Miracles!

But then I won't find out if Olicity get back together in season 5.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

What if Barry brings you back via time travel?

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

What if Barry brings you back via time travel?

I'd rather have him bring back my Earth 2 doppelgänger

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Finally sat down and watched the last couple episodes. All caught up.

Here's my in-depth review and thoughts on Flash Season 2:
    tumblr_static_9g35lkut3xssoc84k8wgcsgko_640_v2.jpg

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular

Oh my god i've been trying to remember the name of that show for weeks now!

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »

Not to be confused with "Host Righter," the show where Sam Beckett travels back in time via hosts to make right what once went wrong.

Here was their depiction of what life in the distance future of 1999 looks like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bageJwOtSFc

• Options
    Awwww, Quantum Leap was a good show. Until it got all weird and metaphysical at the end.

• Options
    Yeah the whole evil leaper and destiny and stuff got really wonky.

I mean its not even established why Al should wind up with his first wife so badly other than it kind of sucked he didn't? What about all the ladies he screwed after that? What about Tina?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    The most shocking thing about the last page is it's been more entertaining than the crap the Flash writers presented us this last season...

• Options

I mean its not even established why Al should wind up with his first wife so badly other than it kind of sucked he didn't? What about all the ladies he screwed after that? What about Tina?

The most unsettling thing was the implication that Sam was just leaping by "choice" but that choice was predicated on partial amnesia that always included him not remembering his wife, among other things.

So not really much of a choice then, proving that God is a dick as usual.

• Options

The most unsettling thing was the implication that Sam was just leaping by "choice" but that choice was predicated on partial amnesia that always included him not remembering his wife, among other things.

So not really much of a choice then, proving that God is a dick as usual.

Yeah the episode where we see his wife was like "Wow that's fucked up".

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »

Not to be confused with "Host Righter," the show where Sam Beckett travels back in time via hosts to make right what once went wrong.

Here was their depiction of what life in the distance future of 1999 looks like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bageJwOtSFc

I dunno, my last visit to Sex World looked a lot like that.

• Options
    Romero ZombieRomero Zombie Registered User regular
    When the last season of the Flash was so bad, forumers decide to talk about Ghost writer and Quantum Leap

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.