As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Witcher Thread] HEARTS OF STONE xp out 13/10/15. Comes with 2 physical gwent decks

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Gave Geralt short hair with bangs and some nice mutton chops.

I feel like I've broken a commandment or something by chopping off Geralt's ponytail.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    I didn't know there were Witcher books. Now I'm intrigued. Where do I start?

Also, this is my first game. I played a tiny bit of 1 and never touched 2. How much of this story will I not understand?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

I feel like I've broken a commandment or something by chopping off Geralt's ponytail.

Giving him the teenager haircut makes him look like, well, a broody teenager, but the slicked back look with a full beard makes him look dignified. I figured after all these years he might want to try out a different hairstyle, looking like a dignified older gentleman and not the roadie for an 80s tribute band.

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I went with the shaved sides pony tail and the goatee. Combine that with the super deep v neck shirt thing and I look like a goddamn beautiful swashbuckler.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Frei wrote: »
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Giving him the teenager haircut makes him look like, well, a broody teenager, but the slicked back look with a full beard makes him look dignified. I figured after all these years he might want to try out a different hairstyle.
    It looks great with the muttons though.

That just seals the dashing pompous rogue/fancy jerk deal. I had to go with it.

"I do say, sir. It would appear you have a monster problem most dire...but I doubt you could afford me. Guffaw."

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    goddamn i miss this game. sunday can't come soon enough AAAAAAAA

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
  • Options
    ButcherButcher Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Heir wrote: »

Also, this is my first game. I played a tiny bit of 1 and never touched 2. How much of this story will I not understand?

There's only 3 or 4 translated books and I think if you've done everything in W1 and W2 there won't be a lot to get out of them, besides some backstory on Yennifer and Ciri I think.

Butcher on
  • Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    Heir wrote: »

For the books, there are two short story collections (Last Wish and Sword of Destiny) followed by five novels (Blood of Elves, Time of Contempt, Baptism of Fire, all of which are currently available, and Swallow Tower and Lady of the Lake, which are scheduled for English release in 2016 & 2017). I've read all of the current English translations except Sword of Destiny (which just came out like last week) and enjoyed them. My understanding is that the events of the game all take place after the end of the final book.

Oh, and it looks like the author (Andrzej Sapkowski) just put out a new book that's set even before Last Wish. No word on an English release; the title seems to translate as Time of Storms.

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    There's also fan translations out there for Swallow's Tower and Lady of the Lake floating around somewhere. I read them, they're perfectly fine translations. I'm interested to see how the official translation will differ from them though, since I never read the other fan translations (except for Sword of Destiny).

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    So I ran into this merchant at the docks in Novigrad, just northwest of the who sells nothing but empty bottles. He'd be a completely useless merchant if not for the fact that he buys pelts and books from you at high prices. He'll give you 146 crowns for a white bear pelt, 40 crowns per deer pelt, 49 crowns for a book on the slaughter of Cintra.

He's also interesting because of the company he keeps. A certain alcoholic Kaedweni deserter has found his new calling:
    si5svor4l4k5.jpg

kpu16ukh5r2g.jpg

He just sleeps on the pier by the docks. Never seen him on his feet.

Kaboodles_The_Assassin on
    sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Here boy!

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Get Junior
    I love how just when you're thinking it was way too easy to clean up Junior's mansion and corner him, it's immediately revealed "only reason is because Ciri completely trashed his A-team while escaping"

Junior, though... yeesh. You should be put on some kind of watchlist if you let him live.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Here's a gallery of all of the witcher school armors.

That Mastercrafted Cat armor.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    You know I wonder if I could have influenced the events at the end of white orchard differently
    if I had used my fists instead of my swords to fight the jerks. Hadn't thought about that until now.

I know I wouldn't have been as kind to the girl that bashed the innkeep's face in as Geralt did when he offered his hand. My response would have been more akin to him angrily pointing at the door and telling her to "get the fuck out of here".

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Looks like I'm sticking with Ursine. Though, I'd go back to the starting armour if it was viable.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Really warms my heart that this game has a really fun easy to play card game, don't think I've seen one since Final Fantasy. I really really love a good "game within the game" that has it's own spiraling addiction.

I would play a spin off game about Gwent in a heartbeat. Or some competitive multiplayer DLC at the very least.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Seems to be for melee, fast attack cat builds builds become useless late game, as you get one hit after countering before most opponents turn the parries back on, and bleeds just do shit all for damage.. looks like the way to go for melee is strong attack to really push into the one counter swing you get before they recover.

• Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    If you can, work on the mastercraft armourers tools for Fergus in Crows perch as soon as you can. The armour you get will last you a while. Level 24 last I checked.

Also Triss for life.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    mid (late maybe? dunno) Novigraad story questline
    I know it's for gameplay purposes, but it kinda cracks me up how the Temerian guerrilla hideout set up a signpost outside labeling it

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Seems to be for melee, fast attack cat builds builds become useless late game, as you get one hit after countering before most opponents turn the parries back on, and bleeds just do shit all for damage.. looks like the way to go for melee is strong attack to really push into the one counter swing you get before they recover.

Fast attack is more for dodging than for parrying. Shorter attack animations means more options of when to dodge since you can't cancel animations. Plus whirl is a fast attack.

Not sure exactly when you consider late game, but I'm in Skellige and using Cat Armor, Cat Training, and Fast Attack with much success. I'm only having trouble with forced fistfights right now.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    I enjoy riding up to a pack of wolves and hearing the fight music build up, only for it to peter out as I ignore the wolves entirely and go merrily on my way. I like to imagine the orchestra and chorus shaking their heads and throwing frustrated glances in my direction.

GnomeTank wrote: »
    In keeping with "Great fluff lines tossed out by NPC's", I heard one last night that had me laughing pretty hard:
    Random Dwarf: "Oh, dwarves popped Snow White's cherry? How convenient, something else to blame dwarves for"

Fun Fact: The Snow White story is actually an event in the Witcher universe, with a grimdark twist.

In one quest Cinderella gets brought up and Geralt mentions the real version of it.

Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Found a couple people that looked familiar...
    ?.png

?.png

(Angry) Joe was also in there.

• Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Taranis wrote: »
    since you can't cancel animations.
    That isn't entirely true. You can cancel startup animations. You just can't cancel anything after you've switched from windup to swing.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    found this out on accident today, but if you hold down L1 and X (on 360 controller, square on PS4) it acts as a meditation shortcut.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Frei wrote: »
    found this out on accident today, but if you hold down L1 and X (on 360 controller, square on PS4) it acts as a meditation shortcut.

This is freaking gold. Top man.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

Fast attack is more for dodging than for parrying. Shorter attack animations means more options of when to dodge since you can't cancel animations. Plus whirl is a fast attack.

Not sure exactly when you consider late game, but I'm in Skellige and using Cat Armor, Cat Training, and Fast Attack with much success. I'm only having trouble with forced fistfights right now.

Dealing with monsters is fine - all of the specs are fine. But it has trouble dealing with humans in a timely fashion. Like I said, most enemies get far more competent with the parries and counters approaching 20, and they're more likely to scatter out of Whirl unless they're stuck close range. (or if they have a shield then they can either halt it if they block the first swing, or just bounce you off)

• Options

Dealing with monsters is fine - all of the specs are fine. But it has trouble dealing with humans in a timely fashion. Like I said, most enemies get far more competent with the parries and counters approaching 20, and they're more likely to scatter out of Whirl unless they're stuck close range. (or if they have a shield then they can either halt it if they block the first swing, or just bounce you off)

Weird. I am level 20, punching above my weight, and haven't really had many problems. A pure sword build might, but I can keep enemies off balance with spells and bombs when needed. Though usually I'll sidestep and backstab pretty easily.

Maybe it's different on Death March?

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    I finally broke down and rollback to the older driver version for my 980. Voila, no more video card crashes. I thought Nvidia was praised for their drivers. Not once did I experience that much bullshit from a driver upset with AMD.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Finally got 60fps on my 980 at 1440p by knocking shadows down to medium, looks absolutely no different from high. Rest of my settings are high grass, high foliage, hair works disabled and the rest ultra and ssao + anti aliasing enabled. Ssao doesn't look nearly as good as hbao but it costs like 10fps

Butcher on
  • Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    Why does every asshole I meet with a Gwent deck have at least 3 hero cards somewhere in his deck? I've got all of one hero in a deck I can't even fucking use yet.

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Butcher wrote: »
    Finally got 60fps on my 980 at 1440p by knocking shadows down to medium, looks absolutely no different from high. Rest of my settings are high grass, high foliage, hair works disabled and the rest ultra and ssao + anti aliasing enabled. Ssao doesn't look nearly as good as hbao but it costs like 10fps

hbao costs 10fps? i didn't notice any difference in frames on my shitty system, might have something to do with your high foliage though, you could get away with medium foliage and hbao, seems to work fine for me.

Deaderinred on
  • Options

hbao costs 10fps? i didn't notice any difference in frames on my shitty system, might have something to do with your high foliage though, you could get away with medium foliage and hbao, seems to work fine for me.

I'll give that a shot. In skellige hbao definitely takes an extra 10-ish fps.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Monger wrote: »
    Just so you guys know, I will also exhibit uncouth behavior for nekker hearts.

(Call me.)

Nekker nests have had a guaranteed heart every time for me.
    Get hunting.

Oh and I beat every fist fight quest in the game at level 16.
    Velen, Novigrad and Skellig.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

I'll give that a shot. In skellige hbao definitely takes an extra 10-ish fps.
    Foilage visibility on Ultra will take a huge hit on performance.

Check out Nvidia's Performance guide to get a rough estimate on FPS impact.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    So I ran into this merchant at the docks in Novigrad, just northwest of the who sells nothing but empty bottles. He'd be a completely useless merchant if not for the fact that he buys pelts and books from you at high prices. He'll give you 146 crowns for a white bear pelt, 40 crowns per deer pelt, 49 crowns for a book on the slaughter of Cintra.

He's also interesting because of the company he keeps. A certain alcoholic Kaedweni deserter has found his new calling:
    si5svor4l4k5.jpg

kpu16ukh5r2g.jpg

He just sleeps on the pier by the docks. Never seen him on his feet.

Think that guy buys everything at the best price, I know he had the best prices on weapons and armour too. All the more annoying given his low gold.

Anyone know for weapons with +X Fire/Cold/Whatever damage under their effects, is that on top of the normal damage up top or is it already factored in?

Fondor_Yards on
    Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    After hearing so many people espouse the virtues of the noble game of Gwent I decided to burn my entire evening on it last night. I kind of dig it!

My only real problem is that I find it impossible to get enough cards to play as anything other than the North. I'm slowly creeping up towards a full deck of Scoiatel, but that is only after spending hours raiding every store I could possibly find and playing dozens of games.

Semi-relatedly, does anyone understand how the map actually works? I know there are things I have done to fill it out, as areas have suddenly filled up with question marks, but I've never quite understood what. Moreover, I find it absolutely infuriating that shop locations seem to refuse to stick on the map. I know there are a bunch of taverns and dozens of merchants in Novigrad, but only like 5 of them are visible from the map until I walk close enough for the minimap to cover them.

• Options
    Vic wrote: »
    After hearing so many people espouse the virtues of the noble game of Gwent I decided to burn my entire evening on it last night. I kind of dig it!

My only real problem is that I find it impossible to get enough cards to play as anything other than the North. I'm slowly creeping up towards a full deck of Scoiatel, but that is only after spending hours raiding every store I could possibly find and playing dozens of games.

Semi-relatedly, does anyone understand how the map actually works? I know there are things I have done to fill it out, as areas have suddenly filled up with question marks, but I've never quite understood what. Moreover, I find it absolutely infuriating that shop locations seem to refuse to stick on the map. I know there are a bunch of taverns and dozens of merchants in Novigrad, but only like 5 of them are visible from the map until I walk close enough for the minimap to cover them.

The question marks are unlocked by picking up notices on notice boards.

I've had a problem with only a few merchants showing up on the map as well. I wish I could just write permanent notes on the map. Like where certain NPC's houses are or other personal areas of interest.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Yeah, .having to be within a certain radius for merchants to show up on the map is BUUUUUULLLLLLSHIIIIIIIIIIIT.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Also the last part of the starting bear witcher gear quest is a stinker.

A real stinker.
    Two Gargoyles in open air and a level 30 Ice elemental.

You know how gargoyles are really fucking annoying in enclosed quarters?

Well in open air if you are too far away from them they leap fifty thousand feet into the air like the fucking hulk and come down on you from above.

Yeah.

I'm gonna have to somehow pull them one by one and then git gud.

Also you can use sword and armor repair kits mid fight.
    Remember this next time you fight something red.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
This discussion has been closed.