As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel MCU] we're good buddies although we sometimes have punch-ups

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Couple things about those pictures:
    I love that Ant-Man is being put front and center on the promo material. I was hoping he'd be more than a glorified cameo.

Second, who is the woman on Caps side? It doesn't look like Wanda. Sharon maybe?
    Sharon Carter.

It's definitely
    Sharon Carter
    10254152_1459325467657481_1049522733_n.jpg

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    Looking good!

But...is it just me, or does Cap's team not stand a chance? I mean, Stark has a hellova line up there

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's a really lopsided battle as depicted.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Ninjeff wrote: »
    Looking good!

But...is it just me, or does Cap's team not stand a chance? I mean, Stark has a hellova line up there

Yeah. Age of Ultron spoilers
    That's why I called bullshit whenever Cap went one on one with Ultron. He'd get his ass kicked in a realistic fight. He isn;t going to do any better against War Machine or Iron Man.

• Options
    Looking good!

That's why I called bullshit whenever Cap went one on one with Ultron. He'd get his ass kicked in a realistic fight. He isn;t going to do any better against War Machine or Iron Man.
    Thats to say nothing of Vision. I mean......yeegads! No one on Caps side could take Vision. Maybe Ant Man? But.....well no....because Vision has the "phase" thing. I did notice the absence of Spider Man of course. I imagine he will be on Caps side.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    JonBob wrote: »
    Yeah, that's a really lopsided battle as depicted.

But it makes for a good chase/fugitive setup.

• Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    Looking good!

Thats to say nothing of Vision. I mean......yeegads! No one on Caps side could take Vision. Maybe Ant Man? But.....well no....because Vision has the "phase" thing. I did notice the absence of Spider Man of course. I imagine he will be on Caps side.

Supposedly b]casting spoilers for CW[/b
    Scarlet Witch is also on Cap's team.

• Options
    Fakefaux wrote: »
    Looking good!

Supposedly b]casting spoilers for CW[/b
    Scarlet Witch is also on Cap's team.

I assumed but it wasnt in the pics so I figured no use in bringing it up.
    because she would be a perfect foil for Vision.....and....depending, a perfect mate

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I am now *very* curious as to what Cap and Iron Man could disagree on that would also prompt Vision to choose a side (and side with Iron Man, no less).

• Options
    Calica wrote: »
    I am now *very* curious as to what Cap and Iron Man could disagree on that would also prompt Vision to choose a side (and side with Iron Man, no less).
    The stinger to Ant-Man mentioned "the Accords." I'm guessing there is going to be a post-Ultron agreement that Cap is forced to break from principle (or just to save Bucky). I can see The Vision siding with Lawful Good in that circumstance.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    The stinger to Ant-Man mentioned "the Accords." I'm guessing there is going to be a post-Ultron agreement that Cap is forced to break from principle (or just to save Bucky). I can see The Vision siding with Lawful Good in that circumstance.

The rumor is...
    That Cap's New Avengers have a mission that goes bad and a bunch of non-American civilians die. This causes the world to come together and make a Superhuman agreement, that Cap then breaks to help Bucky.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    So it seems Mads Mikkelsen may be in talks for a villain role in Dr. Strange.

With Mordo in the movie one would assume Dormammu is a given, but Mikkelsen doesn't really seem right for Dormammu. Also:
    Marvel has been interested in Mikkelsen for some time, at one point courting him for the villainous Malekith in “Thor: The Dark World,” until Mikkelsen won the role of the titular cannibal in NBC’s “Hannibal” and was no longer available. The Malekith role eventually went to Christopher Eccleston.

Mads dodged a bullet right there.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    edit moved to spoiler just in case.
    there's just seems like a lot wrong with those posters, a lot wrong. widow versus hawkeye? vision versus cap? they are going to have to pull some pretty fancy storytelling to make this a good movie.

Pailryder on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Rumors on plot
    they have said that Cap vs Tony is not the main event, with "kid gloves",so there is probably going to be a fight like the first Avengers,but not a huge thing

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    There' no way that some showdown fight is the finale. Half the movie will be them splitting over politics then come together against some threat.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Yeah, with how Age of Ultron turned out I think whatever fight there is between the sides will be super diminished. There might be just some lingering stares between Tony and Steve and that's it.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Pailryder wrote: »
    edit moved to spoiler just in case.
    there's just seems like a lot wrong with those posters, a lot wrong. widow versus hawkeye? vision versus cap? they are going to have to pull some pretty fancy storytelling to make this a good movie.
    Widow vs Hawk is natural. They're close friends and their abilities aren't overpowering to the other. They've already shown that both are a match for each other in Avengers; Widow just has to get near him to cause damage.
    Cabezone wrote: »
    There' no way that some showdown fight is the finale. Half the movie will be them splitting over politics then come together against some threat.
    Against Baron Zemo, most likely.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    I think the posters and title may be misdirects the same way they were in Winter Soldier.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Widow and Hawkeye:
    Work if you just look at their power levels, but I don't buy them fighting to the death at all, even if one is mind controlled. Of course none of them will be out to kill, it would just take something really major for those 2 to go up against each other and it it being politics would seem lame. Probably, anyway.

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Widow and Hawkeye:
    Work if you just look at their power levels, but I don't buy them fighting to the death at all, even if one is mind controlled. Of course none of them will be out to kill, it would just take something really major for those 2 to go up against each other and it it being politics would seem lame. Probably, anyway.
    Being that it's the Widow, I imagine there's an excellent chance she'll be revealed as acting as a spy for Cap's side.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Widow and Hawkeye:
    Being that it's the Widow, I imagine there's an excellent chance she'll be revealed as acting as a spy for Cap's side.
    Considering she's done that once to Tony already, I imagine it isn't going to work.

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Widow and Hawkeye:
    Considering she's done that once to Tony already, I imagine it isn't going to work.
    Tony's got many blind spots she could use and while he may know her he may overlook the bonding experience she had with Cap in Winter Soldier. He's a businessman and an inventor, not a spy.

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2015
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Widow and Hawkeye:
    Plus, while they are friends, Natasha is very clearly pro secret government organizations while Steve is opposed, this issue splitting them seems very plausible. Plus she will end up fighting the blonde from winter soldier.

Cap is also kind of an idiot when it comes to issues that don't involve punching nazi's in the face, as his friends all know.

I mean even just look at his team;
    Cap, a guy who puts his morale values above all else no matter what anyone else thinks, 70 years out of date.
    Bucky, a guy who has been mind controlled by Hydra for the past 70? years. Cap's old partner. 70 years out of date.
    Hawkguy, a guy who was mind controlled by Loki for most of one of his two movies. I haven't seen Ultron yet so dunno what he did in that.
    Antman, an ex criminal. Haven't seen yet, so only know his comics persona.
    Falcon, a cap fanboy.
    Whatshername from winter soldier, his love interest?

I don't even know what they are fighting about in the movie yet, and my first thought is already, "Iron Man's team is probably the correct one." Although given they color coded his team red for "probably being evil/wrong."

Morkath on
  • Options
    yeah, the color coded symbolism here is much more one the nose than it should be. They'll say it's because Iron Man has a red suit and Cap is mostly blue, but come on, when it comes to red and blue sides one has always been shown to be the good side.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Captain America fought in one of the most destructive wars in human history against a repressive regime that rounded up people for being different, his values aren't that out of date.

Bucky has been brainwashed by the people who have manipulated the "ends justify the means" philosophy for their own gain and used secrecy and fear to control people so he's been personally affected by the issues Civil War will deal with.

• Options
    #TeamCaptainAmerica

• Options
    Oh fuck that's right, this will be some obnoxious social media thing this time around instead of forum signatures. Hashtags and fake twitter feuds with the cast culminating in lip sync battles and on Live! With Michael & Kelly Kelly will be for Iron Man and Michael will be for Captain America.

And then the Deadpool movie will hijack it because that's what it does.

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Oh fuck that's right, this will be some obnoxious social media thing this time around instead of forum signatures. Hashtags and fake twitter feuds with the cast culminating in lip sync battles and on Live! With Michael & Kelly Kelly will be for Iron Man and Michael will be for Captain America.

And then the Deadpool movie will hijack it because that's what it does.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Couple things about those pictures:
    I love that Ant-Man is being put front and center on the promo material. I was hoping he'd be more than a glorified cameo.

Second, who is the woman on Caps side? It doesn't look like Wanda. Sharon maybe?

Am I missing something, or is that the joke?
    He's on Caps shoulder in the showdown picture[\spoiler]

Carpy on
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Captain America fought in one of the most destructive wars in human history against a repressive regime that rounded up people for being different, his values aren't that out of date.

Bucky has been brainwashed by the people who have manipulated the "ends justify the means" philosophy for their own gain and used secrecy and fear to control people so he's been personally affected by the issues Civil War will deal with.

The Civil War in marvel wasn't about rounding up people for being different. It was about licensing and training people who could shoot plasma from their eyes. It is basically gun control v2.
    The people being rounded up were essentially people running around with illegal assault rifles and rpgs, and firing them in residential zones, who then balked at being asked to at least tell the government what weapons they had.

Cap's side is basically saying, "No, I want to be able to lug around highly destructive weapons with no oversight or training but my own."

I'm curious as to how much of an issue the civil war even would have been, had the skrulls not been involved.

Morkath on
  • Options
    It will be. It will be.

/yoda

It will start off innocent enough but when the product placement Dr. Pepper appears, that's when Time Runs Out, and it will seem like Infinity until it ends, but instead they'll try and Siege more things and will end in Annihilation. And there will be a Dark Reign of marketing.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    #TeamNachoCheese

#TeamCoolRanch
    Is it wrong that I still have to concentrate to not say "Nacho Cheesier" and "Cooler Ranch"?

• Options
    Morkath wrote: »

The Civil War in marvel wasn't about rounding up people for being different. It was about licensing and training people who could shoot plasma from their eyes. It is basically gun control v2.
    The people being rounded up were essentially people running around with illegal assault rifles and rpgs, and firing them in residential zones, who then balked at being asked to at least tell the government what weapons they had.

Cap's side is basically saying, "No, I want to be able to lug around highly destructive weapons with no oversight or training but my own."

I'm curious as to how much of an issue the civil war even would have been, had the skrulls not been involved.

Well, the Marvel Comics government has a tendency to go direct from registration to Sentinels to death camps. Like, the American (and Canadian!) government in the Marvel Universe might as well be the Fourth Reich for how many death camps, genocidal robot armies, and human experimentation camps it runs.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Looking more closely, while nobody looks particularly good in those promo images, Hawkeye looks like he ran afoul of a purple paint bomb :P

(I know purple is kind of his thing in the comics, but Renner doesn't look very good in it imho)

edit: I mean nobody looks good because of the weird lighting(?), not that none of the costumes look good.

Calica on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

Well, the Marvel Comics government has a tendency to go direct from registration to Sentinels to death camps. Like, the American (and Canadian!) government in the Marvel Universe might as well be the Fourth Reich for how many death camps, genocidal robot armies, and human experimentation camps it runs.

The American government in Marvel goes in cycles, from horrible death camps to shock to "Well, not doing that again" and back to the start. It's not trustworthy, but it has periods, sometimes moderately lengthy ones, where it's not actively evil.

The Canadian government just skips all the stopping and soul searching to build more evil task forces to replace all the members of Alpha Flight who get killed. They lose a lot of Alpha Flight.

• Options

SHIELD wasn't about using flying murder fortresses to assassinate potential threats to Hydra and keeping people in control through fear.

There are perfectly legitimate reasons to want to monitor people with super powers but the people implementing those policies don't exactly have a good record. Especially considering how Iron Man not only created all of his own enemies but also a Skynet AI that almost destroyed the earth.

• Options
    I mean, the actual solution would be to have Cap in charge of the registration lists and training and so on, but apparently sensible solutions are too boring for Mark Millar.

• Options
    edited August 2015

SHIELD wasn't about using flying murder fortresses to assassinate potential threats to Hydra and keeping people in control through fear.

There are perfectly legitimate reasons to want to monitor people with super powers but the people implementing those policies don't exactly have a good record. Especially considering how Iron Man not only created all of his own enemies but also a Skynet AI that almost destroyed the earth.

Oh I agree it would end up going badly. It's a comics world after all.

But it always seems like the conflict should be after whatever goes wrong, not Steve trying to prevent weapons registration and training. Given his background he should be all about proper training of super heroes. The act didn't even require you to be a super hero, just let the government know if you can blow things up with your mind.

MCU IM is also kind of screwed since he got saddled with Ultron, when that was really Pym.

Also movie wise, he didn't really create any of his own enemies so far.
    Stane was just corrupt, the only fault of Tony was really leaving the tech in the desert. Since it's a desert he would have had a really hard time tracking it down though, and he probably didn't think it was a threat since it fell apart and he built it in a cave out of scrap.
    Whiplash was more his fathers villain if anything, and even then his whiplash's father was trying to commit industrial espionage/treason and got deported.
    The fake Mandarin in 3 was probably the closest to making his own villain, but even then, all he did was be a drunken dick to someone once. The guy decided to become a sociopath on his own.

Morkath on
  • Options

Oh I agree it would end up going badly. It's a comics world after all.

But it always seems like the conflict should be after whatever goes wrong, not Steve trying to prevent weapons registration and training. Given his background he should be all about proper training of super heroes. The act didn't even require you to be a super hero, just let the government know if you can blow things up with your mind.
    That utterly depends on what book you were reading, and is part of why Civil War was bad.

• Options
    They should just ignore Civil War and steal the Cadmus arc from Justice League Unlimited, that was a much better superheroes vs. government story.

This discussion has been closed.