Options

[XCOM 2] Console Release Out! Expansions? Possibly.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    Are the Slingshot and Elite Soldier packs worth grabbing? They're $13 or so all together right now with EW on steam

Yes, absolutely. Slingshot is a fun series of three missions that gives you a unique Chinese heavy captain. Elite Soldier gives you a lot more customization options (v important if, like me, you like playing pretty princess dress-up) and features ROB LIEFELD HEAD.

They are absolutely worth the $2.30 and $1.64, respectively.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »
    dress up is important

yes

as dudes get promotions they have to get increasingly customized

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Sounds like a good use of this Steam gift card I got

and then I'll have a few bucks left over for picking up Elite later in the summer!

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Oh hey generated maps:
    New enemies: Evolved Sectoids, snake-lady Vipers, and Advent soldiers
    Stealth-infused tactics, including using cover for concealment and looting fallen enemies and allies
    A mobile base: a flying aircraft carrier called the Avenger
    Procedurally generated maps and the technology that powers them
    Mod support, including official mod tools and Steam Workshop integration
    One-on-one multiplayer

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/01/xcom-2-announced-ign-first

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Okay, I was very much onboard from word 0, but this is even cooler than I was expecting.

Got some Xenos to hunt.

• Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    Thinking back on it, the most memorable ending in the original XCOM is when lose, with the sad mutants.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iXqZD71jyI

What happens if they win is just inherently more interesting, even if a victorious humanity has gene-mods and such. Also, guerrilla warfare is a nice excuse to operate at the scale XCOM is best at.

Gimme that dystopia.

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Welp

this is the game that compels me to upgrade my PC

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I doubt it will be that tough to run, the graphics look pretty similar to the first one, which ran "fine" on my laptop which is 8 years old now and is smoother than butter on the PC I made last year.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Oh, it's going to be PC exclusive, dang it. They did a pretty good job adapting the game to a controller.

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    really, stealth mechanics is going to make it real hard to all those people who had their limbs surgically removed to be ten foot tall robots.

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    really, stealth mechanics is going to make it real hard to all those people who had their limbs surgically removed to be ten foot tall robots.

An upgrade to the MEC Tree is a perk that allows your MEC Trooper to carry around a deciduous forest and drop it for cover at will.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Oh, it's going to be PC exclusive, dang it. They did a pretty good job adapting the game to a controller.

wha-
    awwwwwwwwwwww fuck you guys

• Options
    Man I am just gonna go be in a shitty mood for the rest of the night, then
    I hope you're happy Firaxis

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    It's kinda surprising because I remember EU being popular on consoles and, y'know, PS4/XBONE are out, but Enemy Unknown was also notoriously buggy so maybe they want to focus development time on avoiding that.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    All of firaxis' games are moderately bugful at launch. And it's not like they can't patch on consoles like they do on PCs. It is a curious decision. Maybe this project is lower budget so they felt they didn't have the resources to spend on porting it to multiple systems.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I seriously doubt it'll actually be PC exclusive forever. Because as CDProjeckt pointed out about Witcher 3 development, there's more money than be had with consoles.

But maybe they don't need all that much for an XCOM sequel.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    While you guys are in here, I just wanna say that if anyone wants to do a Let's Play of Enemy Within in the lead up to XC2, don't balk because of my unfinished LP: the Computer with all the necessary goodies for finishing that remains bricked for the time being, and I have no idea when I might pick it up again, if ever, so if someone was thinking "Man, now would be a great time o reminisce over the sound of dying rookies and sectopod face-punches", don't let me stop you.

• Options
    All of firaxis' games are moderately bugful at launch. And it's not like they can't patch on consoles like they do on PCs. It is a curious decision. Maybe this project is lower budget so they felt they didn't have the resources to spend on porting it to multiple systems.

That's what I was saying - putting out a game on multiple consoles takes more time, effort and money.

But I hope Stilts is right and we get a console port down the track.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    RME why would you post a dead LP in the OP
    that's just mean

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    I seriously doubt it'll actually be PC exclusive forever. Because as CDProjeckt pointed out about Witcher 3 development, there's more money than be had with consoles.

But maybe they don't need all that much for an XCOM sequel.

I assume (with no research) that XCOM was a much bigger hit on the PC than console and that they may have even lost money porting it over.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

Sometimes consoles charge a fee for patching. There was still one on XBOX when XCOM launched, running five figures a patch. And I'm running into contradictory data on if they entirely scrapped it. Something like that around, I can see why you'd drop out of the console market.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Wasn't XCOM:EU PC exclusive at launch? It'll be on consoles soon enough after launch.

I'll save this for the new PC I'm saving for (so I'll get it next year).

I've not completed the first one yet either.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    the last time there was a sequel to a popular X-com game, it had tentaculats

and fuck tentaculats

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Also reading an IGN article on XCOM 2 it looks like (plot related)
    The canon ending for XCOM:EU/EW is........you lose. All that fancy alien tech you research didn't happen.

The Aliens straight up steam rolled XCOM and Earth surrendered.

Karl on
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

wha-
    awwwwwwwwwwww fuck you guys

What is more likely is that the console version will be this+whatever the xpack is, GOTY style. I think "I have to buy the whole game again for a few extras??" was a bit of a tough sell for some.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Karl wrote: »
    Wasn't XCOM:EU PC exclusive at launch? It'll be on consoles soon enough after launch.

I'll save this for the new PC I'm saving for (so I'll get it next year).

I've not completed the first one yet either.

It wasn't exclusive, no.

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Something I just realized:

All their talk about using cover as "concealment" probably means the most effective way to keep from aggroing enemies is no longer to blindfold your entire squad as you move them into position because if they can't see anything, nothing can see them.

which is great.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    The canon ending for XCOM:EU/EW is........you lose. All that fancy alien tech you research didn't happen.

I was assuming
    at some point between the end of the first game and this one, there was a second invasion attempt that succeeded

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular

that's a bummer

I find that plot direction less interesting, considering what they put into the ending of EU/EW

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »

that's a bummer

I find that plot direction less interesting, considering what they put into the ending of EU/EW
    It makes sense as a square-one plot device, though. Otherwise they'd have to find some contrivance for why the aliens are in charge even though you wrecked them and why you lost all your tech, which sours the ending of XCOM EU/EW

I M H O

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

I was assuming
    at some point between the end of the first game and this one, there was a second invasion attempt that succeeded
    No time for that, considering it places the unconditional surrender in 2015.

And, gotta say, I prefer it this way. This lets your wins count, and gives you a chance to redeem your losses.

Other way around, it just shits on your win.

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Stilts wrote: »
    Oh, I see.

My LP isn't good enough for the OP.

W-well fine!

It's not like I wanted your recognition anyway, baka.

Stilts' future XCOM2 LP will be anime-themed.

He's not the commander, he's commander-sama.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Also, XCOM2 sounds like one of the darker Stargate timelines.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    We lost because we didn't go to mars to kill the big brain.

Big brain am won.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    I like the (plot related spoiler)
    move to make the canon plot essentially what happened in a lot of Iron man games.

XCOM loses the invasion, the earth surrenders.

It makes the Iron Man XCOM: EU/EW better.

Admittedly this is only open to PC players who's pc can run both but there's now the option of:

Start XCOM EW/EU Iron Man

Outcome A: You win (HURRAH
    Outcome B: You lose. Start XCOM 2 Iron man game to try and retake the earth

Karl on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Aaaaaaaaaah I just found out about this. Holy shit! Excitement!

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    and we've already got disturbing fanart

rxrGw09l.jpg

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Y U du dees.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    so I played for a few hours yesterday and damn, I forgot how frustrating the panic meter is

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    All in favor of letting the invaders experiment on @Indie Winter?

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]