As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Modern Domestic Terrorism: Death In The Willamette

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    It's really starting to look like the motive behind last night's shooting was misogynistic in nature, with the shooter having really strong opinions about how women shouldn't be in the work place, and a really difficult relationship with his ex-wife.

This is so fucked up and so frustrating and I'm so tired of it. And fuck everyone who continues to insist that we don't need feminism and that women already do have access equal rights and representation.

Yeah well, all the feminism in the world isn't going to get rid of hate.

Hate is a learned behavior, sometimes from very valid sources, sometimes from petty stupid and worthless solutions. You can change the culture of a society, but you'll never get rid of petty and stupid individuals.

True to a point, but the idea of us needing more, and more visible, feminism and feminist activism, is that we can teach people not to hate, we can change the culture so that it stops glorifying violence and/or portraying male dominance as the natural and proper state.

We might even stop comparing sending death and rape threats to criticizing someone for wearing a shirt with pictures of naked ladies on it to a press conference.
    Comradebot wrote: »
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Default "News" rhetoric doesn't exist because nearly all news does massive mental gymnastics in order to appeal to their left or right leaning viewership depending on the station and their location in the country. Ratings!

That's discounting how MSNBC isn't just about left shows, it has a few right leaning ones too. Morning Joe for instance, and Chuck Todd got his own show.
    I guess I don't feel like its lopsided because the left is just as loud as the right on this.

You've got the left going: "Not all Brown people" and "All white people"
    While the right is going: "All Brown people" and "Not all white people"

Both are starting to drive me insane

Haven't seen it on left news networks, like MSNBC. CNN isn't leftist, btw.

Neither is MSNBC from what i can see.
    Ofcourse, i say this from scandinavian perspective, so take that with a grain of salt.

From the American political spectrum, MSNBC is definitely left-leaning and pro-Democrat. They're the less popular, less amusing, Democrat answer to FOX News.

Speaking of which... I noticed in FOX's most recent articles they never, ever touch on John Houser's Tea Party connections or right wing views. Then the comment section is filled with "I BET HE'S A LIBERAL!!!". Which, if you ever want to lose faith in humanity? Just scroll down to the comments section of any article on foxnews.com.

MSNBC is like Fox News the same way that a plastic teaspoon is like a mountain.
    They both exist.

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Foxnews reopened their comments? For a long time they had them closed because they were crazy, racist and violent.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Invisible wrote: »
    Foxnews reopened their comments? For a long time they had them closed because they were crazy, racist and violent.

They're still that, don't worry.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Be cautious in fighting evil that you do not become the evil you wish to defeat.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Invisible wrote: »
    I wish people would just leave mountains alone. Couldn't we just have a nice mountain without (racist) stuff carved into it?
    It's not even a well done carving.

The fun thing is, pretty sure all of this is true (or at least going to come to fruition).

It's not a well-done carving, apparently--I'm reluctant to judge because I know shit about mountain carving. I think it's ugly, just like I think Mt. Rushmore is pretty damn ugly, albeit for slightly different reasons, but I'm not wholly confident in my abilities to grade mountain carvings.

And I'm pretty sure that it's going to be there forever. For the rest of my life, probably. I'll even wager that it will outlive the United States government as a whole, though probably in a largely unrecognizable, poorly-maintained form whose actual meaning may be overwhelmingly lost among the population.

It's not all bleak--even in that grim vision of the future, it'll be outnumbered by Mt. Rushmore and any other number monuments celebrating the federal government, which will almost certainly be better remembered as well.

Just that it's not going anywhere.

• Options
    There are a lot of assholes in this world. If you didn't do anything as a non-asshole, said assholes would continue their asshole ways in everything they can. If non-assholes don't become police or protest police corruption against people of color, women, religion minorities, and sexual minorities, then assholes will be the only ones becoming police and protesting the police.

So if you want the future to be brighter after all this social awareness and injustice, get involved despite the number of assholes out there. Because working with those assholes and having some stake in the future is better than leaving the entire matter up to those assholes.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Body cam footage has led to murder charges for the officer who shot and killed Samuel Dubose after pulling him over for not having a front license plate. Having lived in Cincinnati my whole life, I'll say anecdotally that this case is very unusual and the behavior of officials makes it seem like the as-yet-unreleased video footage is totally damning. Prosecutor Deters, known conservative shitbag, says UC police "are not cops" and that Cincinnati PD should take over patrolling the area surrounding campus.
    University of Cincinnati police officer who shot man during traffic stop charged with murder
    “It was so unnecessary for this to occur,” Joe Deters, the Hamilton County prosecutor, said at a news conference Wednesday.

Sam Dubose, 43, was shot and killed during a July 19 traffic stop by Officer Ray Tensing. The officer initially said he was dragged by Dubose’s car, leading to the shooting. Deters said that Dubose “was subdued,” adding that Tensing had his license plate number.

“This office has probably reviewed upwards of hundreds of police shootings, and this is the first time that we’ve thought this is without question a murder,” he said.

While a university police report stated that Tensing said he had been dragged by the car before shooting, Deters said that the officer was not dragged. Rather, Tensing fell backwards after shooting Dubose in the head, Deters said.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2015/07/29/prosecutors-to-announce-conclusion-of-probe-into-cincinnati-campus-police-shooting/

• Options
    TL DR wrote: »
    Body cam footage has led to murder charges for the officer who shot and killed Samuel Dubose after pulling him over for not having a front license plate. Having lived in Cincinnati my whole life, I'll say anecdotally that this case is very unusual and the behavior of officials makes it seem like the as-yet-unreleased video footage is totally damning. Prosecutor Deters, known conservative shitbag, says UC police "are not cops" and that Cincinnati PD should take over patrolling the area surrounding campus.
    University of Cincinnati police officer who shot man during traffic stop charged with murder
    “It was so unnecessary for this to occur,” Joe Deters, the Hamilton County prosecutor, said at a news conference Wednesday.

Sam Dubose, 43, was shot and killed during a July 19 traffic stop by Officer Ray Tensing. The officer initially said he was dragged by Dubose’s car, leading to the shooting. Deters said that Dubose “was subdued,” adding that Tensing had his license plate number.

“This office has probably reviewed upwards of hundreds of police shootings, and this is the first time that we’ve thought this is without question a murder,” he said.

While a university police report stated that Tensing said he had been dragged by the car before shooting, Deters said that the officer was not dragged. Rather, Tensing fell backwards after shooting Dubose in the head, Deters said.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2015/07/29/prosecutors-to-announce-conclusion-of-probe-into-cincinnati-campus-police-shooting/

Don't be silly, body cams don't affect anything.
    Seriously though, 2 reactions for this.
    1. Glad something is being done
    2. Hundreds of shootings, and this is the first that's clearly a murder? Why do i doubt this?
    Oh, and
    3. Is this the right thread for this?

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I mean there's no police shooting thread and this thread is at least tangentially about the subject.

I was looking for a place to post it myself. We moved to Cincinnati in November so I've been trying to follow the matter closely.

Langly on
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    We had a policing thread that got removed. RT posted the video just now. Its pretty messed up

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    I mean there's no police shooting thread and this thread is at least tangentially about the subject.

I was looking for a place to post it myself. We moved to Cincinnati in November so I've been trying to follow the matter closely.

Welcome to Cincinnati!

• Options
    It's well outside the scope of the Domestic Terrorism thread, unfortunately.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    There is a pretty distinct reason why the police general thread is on cooldown right now. I actually like this thread and would hate to see it devolve into what the police one usually does.

• Options
    SicariiSicarii The Roose is Loose Registered User regular
    You kind of get the impression this was like an execution style hit or something the way the communication surrounding this killing is being discussed.

gotsig.jpg
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I haven't watched the video and I will not watch the video, but the description of its contents say basically that the university cop asks for the dude to take off his seatbelt and get out of the car. He refuses, so the uni cop pulls his gun and shoots him in the head.
    Deters called the shooting the most “asinine” thing he’s ever seen a law enforcement officer do. He described it as “senseless” “deplorable” and tragic.”

“I think he lost his temper because Mr. DuBose wouldn’t get out of his car. When you see this, you will not believe how quickly he pulls his gun and shoots him. It’s so senseless.”

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Has nothing to do with this topic, do not post it in here or you'll get this topic which already goes off the rails enough, locked.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    The video is the antithesis of graphic, btw. I had to watch it like 4 times to even figure out when the shot was actually fired. The video quality is awful and it turns into a jumbled unintelligible mess where you can barely even make out what happened. It might be the least graphic or disturbing shooting video I've ever seen. YMMV.

• Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    Has nothing to do with this topic, do not post it in here or you'll get this topic which already goes off the rails enough, locked.

But yeah also that.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Man bagging on Spokane for being racist is well pretty true, but still. And you usually expect better of a Levi.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    " Hey we aint non o' them there hatin rednecks, we just loves our flag, and if any *racial slur* says anything about it we'll shoot'm good an send'm back to satan!"

that's about how that story summarizes for me.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    I quite enjoyed how the article nicknamed the flag the 'redneck swastika'.

• Options
    I thought this was the "bad things happen to black people in the 21st century and its sad" thread.

• Options
    Cog wrote: »
    I quite enjoyed how the article nicknamed the flag the 'redneck swastika'.

It makes perfect sense, Neo Nazi groups in germany that are banned from flying the real swastika proudly display the confederate flag. Because it's about heritage and not hate.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    it is and it isn't.

terrorism of the black populace by police is often it's own thread, and is currently on hiatus.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    it is and it isn't.

terrorism of the black populace by police is often it's own thread, and is currently on hiatus.

Yeah. This is one of those instances where there's a major national conversation with no thread of its own, so it keeps popping up in different places.

• Options
    Ah, so the murder of 9 people in a church, and the wielding of a symbol of treason at a child's birthday party do not warrant their own thread....for now.

Well, discussion domestic terrorism is a worth discussion.

Where does the line fall though, between the clock tower, the Holocaust Museum, and the man who opened the pens of his collection of apex predators to let them run wild and slay himself?

• Options
    So, the current chair of the history department at West Point explains that yes, the Civil War was about slavery.

• Options
    Telling us what we already knew (but some refused to accept).
    Pretty depressing that this can be seen as a good thing, instead of obvious thing.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Update from Mountain Watch 2015:

Stone Mountain bas-relief still there, still visibly racist.

EDIT: Something I did not know--apparently, Gutzon Borglum, the Danish-American sculpture who went on to carve the faces into Mt. Rushmore, did the initial work for the Confederate memorial at Stone Mountain, only to dissociate himself after a falling out with the Klan, which was a major contributor (no surprise) back in 1923. "Falling out" is important, because if wikipedia is to believed, he was briefly very chummy with them when the project began, sharing their ideology, but his domineering artistic streak made him extremely difficult to work with. After he smashed up all his own models, Henry Augustus Lukeman took over (he'd done some WWI monuments) and all of Borglum's work removed.

Synthesis on
  • Options
  • Options
    Knowing the internet I'm sure someone believes the woman torched her own truck and is making up the claims of intimidation.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    Does the term 'thug' apply here or...

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    minirhyder wrote: »
    Does the term 'thug' apply here or...

For her? Yes.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    Telling us what we already knew (but some refused to accept).
    Pretty depressing that this can be seen as a good thing, instead of obvious thing.

It's always nice to have someone who can go "Look who I am bitch, are you gonna try and pretend I don't know what I'm talking about? Now STFU, your every excuse is wrong!".

The video is really forceful about the facts, which is great to see on this issue.

• Options
    The Atlantic's pet contrarian continues to demonstrate why he is out of his depth when it comes to matters of race. The use of Coates' article on Cosby that Coates himself has publicly disavowed is one of the sadder parts on display here.

There's a reason that "respectability politics" gets attacked so vehemently.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    The Atlantic's pet contrarian continues to demonstrate why he is out of his depth when it comes to matters of race. The use of Coates' article on Cosby that Coates himself has publicly disavowed is one of the sadder parts on display here.

I didn't find the article that bad. It talks about the facts surrounding the situation then decides that the mother is wrong and that respectability politics are bullshit(more or less, though without outright saying it)

Also why did Coates disavow his Cosby article? I thought that he wasn't particularly mind in it.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Goumindong wrote: »

I didn't find the article that bad. It talks about the facts surrounding the situation then decides that the mother is wrong and that respectability politics are bullshit(more or less, though without outright saying it)

Also why did Coates disavow his Cosby article? I thought that he wasn't particularly mind in it.

For the reason you would expect - like most people writing about Cosby over the past 15 years, he heard about the allegations, but chose not to write about them:
    I published a reported essay in 2008, in this magazine, on these call-outs. In that essay, there is a brief and limp mention of the accusations against Cosby. Despite my opinions on Cosby suffusing the piece, there was no opinion offered on the rape accusations. This is not because I did not have an opinion. I felt at the time that I was taking on Cosby's moralizing and wanted to stand on those things that I could definitively prove. Lacking physical evidence, adjudicating rape accusations is a murky business for journalists. But believing Bill Cosby does not require you to take one person's word over another—it requires you take one person's word over 15 others.

At the time I wrote the piece, it was 13 peoples’ word—and I believed them. Put differently, I believed that Bill Cosby was a rapist...

...The Bill Cosby piece was my first shot writing for a big national magazine. I had been writing for 12 financially insecure years. By 2007, when I finished my first draft, I had lost three jobs in seven years. I had just been laid-off by Time magazine. My kid was getting older. I was subsisting off unemployment checks and someone else's salary. A voice in my head was, indeed, pushing me to do something more expansive and broader in its implication, something that did not just question Cosby's moralizing, but weighed it against the acts which I believed he committed. But Cosby was such a big target that I thought it was only a matter of time before someone published a hard-hitting, investigative piece. And besides, I had in my hand the longest, best, and most personally challenging piece I'd ever written.

It was not enough.

I have often thought about how those women would have felt had they read my piece. The subject was morality—and yet one of the biggest accusations of immorality was left for a few sentences, was rendered invisible.

I don't have many writing regrets. But this is one of them. I regret not saying what I thought of the accusations, and then pursuing those thoughts. I regret it because the lack of pursuit puts me in league with people who either looked away, or did not look hard enough. I take it as a personal admonition to always go there, to never flinch, to never look away.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Fair. But that doesn't invalidate the rest of the article. I am not sure that cozbys immorality negates his point of his resonance. And I think that Coates did a good job of talking about why that point resonates and how it fails. (Though he def could have been stronger)

I don't think recognizing that omission means that he has disavowed the peice or that the other Atlantic writers use of it was unwarranted or incorrect.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Fair. But that doesn't invalidate the rest of the article. I am not sure that cozbys immorality negates his point of his resonance. And I think that Coates did a good job of talking about why that point resonates and how it fails. (Though he def could have been stronger)

I don't think recognizing that omission means that he has disavowed the peice or that the other Atlantic writers use of it was unwarranted or incorrect.

Considering that a substantial portion of the "poundcake speech" was devoted to criticism of sexuality in the black community, I do think that his being a serial rapist does fatally undermine his message. I'd recommend reading this analysis of the speech, or go back to the event that started the ball rolling - Hannibal Burress' call out of Cosby, where he basically said "I'm not going to be lectured on morality by a rapist."

This discussion has been closed.