As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Grand Unified Thread for [Game of Thrones] (Book spoiler guidelines in OP)

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    burbo wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    valiance wrote: »
    jefe414 wrote: »
    Hey guys, what was your favorite scene or moment from S5?

I've got 2, because I want to cheat and they were both too awesome to exclude.

Tyrion meets Dany. I've waited for that shit for so long, and it was a thrilling little surprise how the show handled it, vs. what happened in the book.

Also, Jon kills the White Walker with the Fang (or whatever it was called). It was just bad ass and also surprising. The Hardhome episode was fucking cool as hell, I wanted to run a mile and do 50 pushups after I saw it, and I hate the pointless forms of exercise.

Edit: Changed sword name

Jorah knocking fools out in the arena because he knows Dany is against the mindless killing. Jorah fighting his way back and spearing some Son of the Harpy fool because he's got Dany's back no matter how many times she banishes him. Basically Jorah anytime he's not punching Tyrion in the face,

I predict sad times for you next season Ms./Mr. Jorah lover.

Yeah hopefully anyone else has an interesting journey next season . I don't think I can endure another yawnfest.

If [redacted] and [redacted] are truly dead, I don't know if there's a plot left on the show that isn't boring or just full of truly awful people.

This show is awful about quickly instilling expectations of awesome things to come, only to drag them out painfully, and then cap it off with a wet fart of a climax.

I'm not disagreeing with you. but what particularly stands out to you as an example of this?

- Oberyn's exposing of the Lannisters' treachery
    - The Hound & Arya travelling to the Eyrie
    - Margery working her wiles on Tommen
    - What'shisface working for Bolton at the Wall only to get killed kinda randomly
    - Stannis at Blackwater
    - Renly and Loras
    - Robb's rising insurrection

I could go on

Whaaaaaaat!? You are calling The Oberyn fight, Brienne Hound Fight, Blackwater, the Red Wedding, and Smoke baby murder all wet fart climSqjhgSqaxes? I mean, they aren't what we wanted to happen, but those are all some of the best moments in the show. If you didn't like that stuff, is there anything in the show you do like?

Well, the Oberyn fight was huge, but nothing camhe of the Mountain's confession.

Red Weddixesng was huge for the plot, but why the fuck hasn't anyone said / done anything

Well, in the books...

• Options
    ButcherButcher Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    The wet fart complaint is completely valid for the show but not for the books. The show has totally omitted several subplots and extra details that are natural and kind of awesome extensions from all those anti-climactic moments.

Book spoilers
    Referring to Stoneheart, Wyman Manderly, Stannis character development, Dorne in AffC.

Butcher on
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    What shows are you watching if you think the storylines in Game of Thrones end in wet farts?

Because I want to see those shows.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    valiance wrote: »
    Hey guys, what was your favorite scene or moment from S5?

I've got 2, because I want to cheat and they were both too awesome to exclude.

Tyrion meets Dany. I've waited for that shit for so long, and it was a thrilling little surprise how the show handled it, vs. what happened in the book.

Also, Jon kills the White Walker with the Fang (or whatever it was called). It was just bad ass and also surprising. The Hardhome episode was fucking cool as hell, I wanted to run a mile and do 50 pushups after I saw it, and I hate the pointless forms of exercise.

Edit: Changed sword name

Jorah knocking fools out in the arena because he knows Dany is against the mindless killing. Jorah fighting his way back and spearing some Son of the Harpy fool because he's got Dany's back no matter how many times she banishes him. Basically Jorah anytime he's not punching Tyrion in the face,

I predict sad times for you next season Ms./Mr. Jorah lover.

Yeah hopefully anyone else has an interesting journey next season . I don't think I can endure another yawnfest.

If [redacted] and [redacted] are truly dead, I don't know if there's a plot left on the show that isn't boring or just full of truly awful people.

This show is awful about quickly instilling expectations of awesome things to come, only to drag them out painfully, and then cap it off with a wet fart of a climax.

I'm not disagreeing with you. but what particularly stands out to you as an example of this?

- Oberyn's exposing of the Lannisters' treachery
    - The Hound & Arya travelling to the Eyrie
    - Margery working her wiles on Tommen
    - What'shisface working for Bolton at the Wall only to get killed kinda randomly
    - Stannis at Blackwater
    - Renly and Loras
    - Robb's rising insurrection

I could go on

Whaaaaaaat!? You are calling The Oberyn fight, Brienne Hound Fight, Blackwater, the Red Wedding, and Smoke baby murder all wet fart climSqjhgSqaxes? I mean, they aren't what we wanted to happen, but those are all some of the best moments in the show. If you didn't like that stuff, is there anything in the show you do like?

Well, the Oberyn fight was huge, but nothing camhe of the Mountain's confession.

Red Weddixesng was huge for the plot, but why the fuck hasn't anyone said / done anything

Nothing? It absolutely compounded Oberyn's anguish and the desperate horror of his death. That didn't count for nothing to me.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Of course nothing came of his confession.

The mountain is a bannerman of the Lannisters, who currently hold the throne. Nothing is going to come of the Mountain's confession until that family is removed from power.

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Also, everyone already knew that stuff. Yeah, Gregor was a murderous rage monster. That's his whole point, that dude found his niche and WORKED it.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Eh, "Nothing" isn't really an adequate description of what happened.
    Gregor was dead and never claimed anybody else ordered him to do it. They then sent his skull down south as a symbol of justice.

Him admitting it in open court is also a big thing. Before Gregor's actions were always plausibly deniable. It was a change and would have lead to more if the Dornish contingent in King's Landing hadn't had it's head broken.

I guess it would have been much more interesting if Gregor survived the duel and Tywin had to decide what to do next. I suspect an overly large skull would have still made it's way south if it were up to Tywin. Of course, Cersei is actually the one who made that call.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    @DevoutlyApathetic: could you spoiler that as book spoilers? Or did I miss the
    skull
    thing?

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    Alphagaia wrote: »
    skull
    thing?

I will but am convinced it isn't going to be a Thing in the show. It was "replaced" by Jamie's trip to Dorne.

More not really book spoilers:
    Also they not wanting to have to CGI a completely dark helmet or something. It was super obvious there was a grey skinned zombie dude in Robert Strong's armor.

• Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    skull
    thing?

I will but am convinced it isn't going to be a Thing in the show. It was "replaced" by Jamie's trip to Dorne.

Also they not wanting to have to CGI a completely dark helmet or something. It was super obvious there was a grey skinned zombie dude in Robert Strong's armor.

Thx! I'm only tagging it as a 'spoiler' since in the show
    they revive the Mountain with skull attached. Not sure if they revive him in the books as well, and which skull is send to Dorn, but I don't want to know what is made up for the show and what's not. Minor thing though.

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Almost done re-reading the first book.

Good grief I forgot just how much I love Walder Frey.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    skull
    thing?

Thx! I'm only tagging it as a 'spoiler' since in the show
    they revive the Mountain with skull attached. Not sure if they revive him in the books as well, and which skull is send to Dorn, but I don't want to know what is made up for the show and what's not. Minor thing though.

I always felt
    It was unclear if he died or not in the show. I call the fight a draw, personally, and I think the work being done is necromancy. they show his face enough in that helmet that I felt this way even more solidly after that scene (was pretty sure after the fight)

I later read the book details and found they lined up so I'm comfortable saying he died in the show although it's certainly ambiguous

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    I didn't know who Hizdar zo Loraq was by name.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    ibfkq4e.jpg

A 4chan post that ignores slavery and shit-talks a powerful woman? What are the chances?!

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Incindium wrote: »

Who is it?

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Incindium wrote: »

Who is it?

the lenny kravitz lookin' dude that daenerys was gonna marry in mereen

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    The Meereeeneeessseeee dude Dany marries.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    His name is Stylax and he is a charioteer. Salve ladies.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I kind of wish they'd use some of the more symphonic metal covers of the theme for the intro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IouiZ1J_AJo

I know you gotta follow the link, but this version is pretty damn epic. The part from where it crosses the Narrow Sea to the end gives me goosebumps.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Or, better yet, just shorten it. As awesome as it was, it really really drags now.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Kinda skimming through the Dany chapters so I can get to ACOKs by the weekend.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    I kind of wish they'd use some of the more symphonic metal covers of the theme for the intro.

I know you gotta follow the link, but this version is pretty damn epic. The part from where it crosses the Narrow Sea to the end gives me goosebumps.

I looked but I didn't find anything, so someone out there needs to do a 2/3 speed Doom metal version.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Book theory related spoilers, but also real filming/casting location spoilers:
    480.jpg

That's one of the new locations they're filming. The casting call has someone who sounds suspiciously like Ser Arthur Dayne.

Tower of Joy?

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Apostate wrote: »

I looked but I didn't find anything, so someone out there needs to do a 2/3 speed Doom metal version.

This is the version of the guy recording it in the studio, not the one attached to the intro cinematic. (That link will redirect you to Youtube)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC-ZmlwBWKM

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    480.jpg

That's one of the new locations they're filming. The casting call has someone who sounds suspiciously like Ser Arthur Dayne.

Tower of Joy?

Doubtful, don't think that is meant to be that...

Book:
    The Tower of Joy is named as such because it was a Targayen get away spot, that does not look like a Dragon Dynasty vacation home in the south. That looks more like a tower over the sea that a Greyjoy or some other lame viking knock off would have or take from someone else.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    480.jpg

Tower of Joy?

Book:
    The Tower of Joy is named as such because it was a Targayen get away spot, that does not look like a Dragon Dynasty vacation home in the south. That looks more like a tower over the sea that a Greyjoy or some other lame viking knock off would have or take from someone else.

Book Theory Talky:
    Pretty sure Tower of Joy was the name that Rhaegar put on it because it's where he kept his secret wolf bride that he split the Kingdom over. Wasn't an existing name, just what he thought of the place and an oblique reference that wouldn't actually reveal the secret location to those who didn't know it.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    480.jpg

Tower of Joy?

Book:

FWIW
    It's pretty balls on what the Tower of Joy is described as looking like and what most fan art, which admittedly is useless most time, pictures it as.

It could also be a lot of things, though.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    480.jpg

Tower of Joy?

Book:
    I think you may be mistaking the Tower of Joy for Summerhall, which was a major Targaryen getaway castle/summer home?

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    480.jpg

Tower of Joy?

Book:
    I think you may be mistaking the Tower of Joy for Summerhall, which was a major Targaryen getaway castle/summer home?
    My mental picture was always of a tower if for no other reason than GRRM's setup of Eddard and his group storming a tower protected by elite fighters is pretty much the original premise of Bruce Lee's The Game of Death

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    480.jpg

Tower of Joy?

Book:
    My mental picture was always of a tower if for no other reason than GRRM's setup of Eddard and his group storming a tower protected by elite fighters is pretty much the original premise of Bruce Lee's The Game of Death
    SMH if you think Howland Reed could beat Kareem Abdul Jabbar in a fight.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    480.jpg

Tower of Joy?

Book:

Wait, I think you might be right, never mind.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    So, we've got Dany saying season 6 is going to be "mental".

Are we gonna get a season long "Hardhome"? Because some of the best parts of GoT are the quiet spots in the middle with the characters just being, and not doing.

Edit: That's not to say I don't mind the "mental" of GoT, but Season 5 had a real lack of character growth that wasn't trial by fire.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    They say that every season

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Advertising

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    How awsome is your show going to be?
    So awesome.

Seal on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    The last season was good but the next one is gonna be amazing

-actors promoting the next season

• Options
    Nothing about how "amazing" it is, more so the pacing of the story that I'm looking at. Last season did worse than the others, and with the response of "Hardhome" being so great I'm worried they'll make the whole 10 episodes like that.

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    They say they wanna wrap up the series in 7 seasons, maybe 8

thats 20-30 more hours
    we really dont know what endgame aSoIaF is, but if their writing style for season 5 is any indication, the slow character building and plotting is gone, as there as so many events that need to happen. it will be plot point plot point plot point IMO

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    They say they wanna wrap up the series in 7 seasons, maybe 8

thats 20-30 more hours
    we really dont know what endgame aSoIaF is, but if their writing style for season 5 is any indication, the slow character building and plotting is gone, as there as so many events that need to happen. it will be plot point plot point plot point IMO

If the style of S5 is any indication, they will spend half of those last 20-30 hours on pointless go nowhere plots.

This discussion has been closed.