As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PSN] 7 June - Mirror's Edge Catalyst | SteamWorld Heist | Odin Sphere | Sherlock TDD

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    Maybe this is just a bold new strategy. I kinda stopped buying PSN games because I was frustrated that they would end up free* on PS+ a few months later. Clearly they're mostly offering shit now to break people out of that habit. I've been buying PSN games again, so it clearly worked.

Table Top Racing isn't out yet, so it might be great, and Tropico 5 is a great game. If you aren't into those genres, then ok, but to say they are offering shit is just a dumb thing to say.

People have really odd expectations for these free games (and yes they are free, because you are paying to play games online now, just like you had to for Xbox live for the past 10 years). I mean two months in a row we are getting brand new games for free, which is pretty great if you ask me.

I said mostly shit. Just because you can pick one or two games out every month that are pretty good, doesn't invalidate what I said.

I do think it invalidates it, because if you get one game a month (or even every other month) that you get some enjoyment out of it's still a pretty good deal. I guess your expectations are just much higher than mine, which is fine, but the endless "PS+ is crap" in this thread at this time every month is getting tiresome.

Enjoying one game every other month still means that the other 11 were shit. My statement stands.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Another bad month of Plus games

So it goes, ever and ever, into time immemorial

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    This is ridiculous. I cannot make purchases on my PSN account so I tried to talk to support and they cannot do shit either. The only thing that the support agent could come up with was use PSN cards.

Guess I am going to miss out on this sale.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Oooh, Table Top Racing has a nice Mario Kart vibe to it. The PS4 games have a strong chance of being pretty rad.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Oooh, Table Top Racing has a nice Mario Kart vibe to it. The PS4 games have a strong chance of being pretty rad.

Ya, another month with a brand new game that looks pretty cool is fine by me.
    Another bad month of Plus games

So it goes, ever and ever, into time immemorial

Cancel your subscription then if it's so bad.

I know me complaining about all the complainers is probably as annoying as the complaining, but for some reason all the whining about PS+ just really really grates on me.

I'm done now though, need to ignore the thread for the next week or my head may explode from annoyance.

• Options
    Need it for online multi and Plus discounts on sales (probably the thing I actually use it for most)

• Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    I don't think it's bad that PS+ is being pushed as more than just a free game dispenser. Yeah, you got used to that, but in the beginning it was there as an apology for the PSN outage. Less free games but way more discounted games I am perfectly fine with, it gives me a better chance of finding something on sale I like.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Honestly both PS4 PS+ games look pretty good. I picked up the demo of Tropico 5 a few months back and my wife loved it (and doesn't play many games) so it's going to be great for her. Tabletop Racing looks like an updated micro machines mixed with Mario Kart so I'm totally down with that.

The PS3 games never get a look in now, the poor PS3 is relegated to Bluray player only (I still find it does a better job of 3D and 24p than the PS4). Vita games are a bit weak, that GOW game is a PSP one right? Still, I enjoyed the PSP Prince of Persia game I bought so it'll probably get a go after Severed and Axiom Verge.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Honestly both PS4 PS+ games look pretty good. I picked up the demo of Tropico 5 a few months back and my wife loved it (and doesn't play many games) so it's going to be great for her. Tabletop Racing looks like an updated micro machines mixed with Mario Kart so I'm totally down with that.

The PS3 games never get a look in now, the poor PS3 is relegated to Bluray player only (I still find it does a better job of 3D and 24p than the PS4). Vita games are a bit weak, that GOW game is a PSP one right? Still, I enjoyed the PSP Prince of Persia game I bought so it'll probably get a go after Severed and Axiom Verge.

I can tell you right off that the PSP GoW game is leagues better than the ports of the PSP PoP games. The Santa Monica folks pulled off technical wonders for the PSP system with that game, compared to the performance seen with the port-of-a-port PoP stuff.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    It was forgotten sands that I played, which was actually pretty good performance wise. I really enjoyed the game too. Good to hear GoW runs great though!

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    I'm SUPER into free Tropico, and also that micro machines thing that I already forgot the name of looks potentially neat too. Good month.

• Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    It was forgotten sands that I played, which was actually pretty good performance wise. I really enjoyed the game too. Good to hear GoW runs great though!

Oh, Forgotten Sands was the made-for-PSP 'recent' one, not a port of the PS2 ones (Revelations and Rival Swords, ports of Warrior Within and The Two Thrones, respectively). Nevermind about the comparison then! But yeah, GoW PSP was pretty good, I think it may have been the first game to OC the CPU to get extra goodness out of the machine.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    This is ridiculous. I cannot make purchases on my PSN account so I tried to talk to support and they cannot do shit either. The only thing that the support agent could come up with was use PSN cards.

@Stragint Buy digital PSN cards off of Amazon w/ the card you would use for the PSN store. Input the code into the PSN store. Buy stuff.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I remember enjoying the hell out of Ghost of Sparta. Give it a shot! It's rather short and it doesn't overstay its welcome.

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    DaringDirk wrote: »

I can tell you right off that the PSP GoW game is leagues better than the ports of the PSP PoP games. The Santa Monica folks pulled off technical wonders for the PSP system with that game, compared to the performance seen with the port-of-a-port PoP stuff.

Ready at Dawn! :P They know their shit when it comes to pretty graphics.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Alienation is super good. Buy Alienation.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    HeraldS wrote: »
    Stragint wrote: »

@Stragint Buy digital PSN cards off of Amazon w/ the card you would use for the PSN store. Input the code into the PSN store. Buy stuff.

I don't like the cards because they leave a balance on the account that may not be used for extended periods of time. It is especially annoying when I have to spend more money than I would normally spend to buy a few games I want.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    So just a word of warning for anyone thinking of getting it, apparently Tri-Ace gutter balled Star Ocean 5 hard. Sales absolutely taaaaaaanked in Japan. From what I understand it's ~15-20 hours of game padded largely by backtracking isolated to a single continent on one planet with almost no space-related anything this go around, almost no post-game content(primarily run around quests and one bonus dungeon?) and worst of all re-uses monster/character models from SO4(they're just re-skinned). It's currently floating face down at 2.5/5 average ratings on Amazon.co.jp. (fair note however that Japanese Amazon reviewers are some of the most asshole harsh reviewers on the planet, very few tends to even pass into 4 stars with them)

Donnicton on
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    Any opinions of Overlord: Fellowship of Evil or Fat Princess Adventures? I could use a new local coop game while I wait for Ultimate Chicken Horse.

Still catching up on the thread. I have both of these games.
    Nothing redeeming about Overlord, sadly. I liked the other entries in the series. This is a poor, poor imitation of that.

The Fat Princess Adventures game is actually pretty fun! My wife and i have played through it on normal and will probably do so on hard to try and unlock some more gear and get gems and such for upgrading. You can switch classes at checkpoints so you're never really stuck with anything you don't like to use for very long.

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Any opinions of Overlord: Fellowship of Evil or Fat Princess Adventures? I could use a new local coop game while I wait for Ultimate Chicken Horse.

Nothing redeeming about Overlord, sadly. I liked the other entries in the series. This is a poor, poor imitation of that.

The Fat Princess Adventures game is actually pretty fun! My wife and i have played through it on normal and will probably do so on hard to try and unlock some more gear and get gems and such for upgrading. You can switch classes at checkpoints so you're never really stuck with anything you don't like to use for very long.

That's the one I picked up. My wife, a friend, and I did chapter 1 a couple days ago. So far, archer is definitely my jam.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Donnicton wrote: »
    So just a word of warning for anyone thinking of getting it, apparently Tri-Ace gutter balled Star Ocean 5 hard. Sales absolutely taaaaaaanked in Japan. From what I understand it's ~15-20 hours of game padded largely by backtracking isolated to a single continent on one planet with almost no space-related anything this go around, almost no post-game content(primarily run around quests and one bonus dungeon?) and worst of all re-uses monster/character models from SO4(they're just re-skinned). It's currently floating face down at 2.5/5 average ratings on Amazon.co.jp. (fair note however that Japanese Amazon reviewers are some of the most asshole harsh reviewers on the planet, very few tends to even pass into 4 stars with them)

You know what the linked showed me that surprised me more than anything else? PS4 is starting to take off in Japan, which considering their love affair with portables, I didn't think would ever happen.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular

That's the one I picked up. My wife, a friend, and I did chapter 1 a couple days ago. So far, archer is definitely my jam.

Yup!
    I played archer and my wife played warrior. I was jumping like an idiot and firing arrows like a madman. Had a dagger that froze people, exploding arrows, and two armor pieces that increased my run speed by the end. I was like the flash, but with explosions

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular

I read a few of the reviews, and yeah, they're pretty brutal. Mind, some of it just seems to be "I hated SO4 and this is more like SO4, why aren't you making the game I want instead?"

What's far more telling is the price - it's dropped to under Y4000 new and that is practically a fire sale by Japanese standards, Amazon is having trouble moving this one.

So not a great sign. I still have it preordered but I am tempering my expectations. :)

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The latest Star Ocean game has next to nothing space related in it.

I'm shocked. Shocked.

Well not that shocked.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    The latest Star Ocean game has next to nothing space related in it.

I'm shocked. Shocked.

Well not that shocked.

Your winnings, sir.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    I liked the hand-wave explanation in SO4 for why everyone is using swords instead of energy weapons, because the indigenous life of that first planet they landed on was immune to the energy weapons.

And then they never try them again on any of the other planets they go to.

It was dumb but I loved it for its goofiness.

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Quiotu wrote: »

You know what the linked showed me that surprised me more than anything else? PS4 is starting to take off in Japan, which considering their love affair with portables, I didn't think would ever happen.

I wouldn't say it's really taking off and the 3DS, Vita and NX handheld will still remain king but the PS4 is doing fairly well, yeah. A lot of the Japanese exclusives (not just cross-gen games) are finally starting to come out, the PS3 is finally pretty much gone and it should pass the Wii U in a few months.

As for Star Ocean 5, me circa 2004 could've told you guys that. Star Ocean 3's plot twist STILL pisses me off. Tri-Ace are the worst, if you want a turn-based space RPG, wait for Cosmic Star Heroine.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    I never played The Mark of Kri back in the day on PS2 and so was happy to see it on sale recently

Uh

I'm not sure this game holds up well

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I never played The Mark of Kri back in the day on PS2 and so was happy to see it on sale recently

Uh

My friend and I laughed at that tutorial a lot because the narrator says with STEALTH! way too often. I will always have a fond place in my heart for it, it was great at the time.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Oofa doofa

Just looked at that list for May

Usually, even on months that people say are "bad", I can usually find at least one game that I'm glad to be able to download

This month is maybe the worst one since I've been subscribed

• Options
    Tropico is awesome, though it simply may not be your jam. I'd recommend trying it at the very least.

• Options
    All I know about Tropico games is that they always have Fidel Castro on the cover and a higher number after Tropico

• Options
    skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Hey Tropico 2 was about PIRATES thank you very much.

It also wasn't very good so.

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Tropico isn't a game I want to play on console

• Options

Uh

Yeah, the combat was a neat concept that didn't really translate to fun. I can only enjoy it as a pure stealth game. But I also really dig on the overall style and atmosphere of the game.

• Options

Uh

Yeah, the combat was a neat concept that didn't really translate to fun. I can only enjoy it as a pure stealth game. But I also really dig on the overall style and atmosphere of the game.

The combat doesn't work until you get the axe. Once you get the axe, the game turns into this weird macabre severed limb simulator. It's fucking awesome to watch in action.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Star Ocean is such a bad series. "Futuristic explorers planet hop" INSTANTLY becomes "use medieval weapons because this is ren faire planet and we're not leaving and we're idiots". Just make a good fantasy game instead of shitting on a promising premise OVER and OVER again.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Looking back, it feels like The Mark of Kri's combat was unique for its time and then (heavily) reworked into what they have in the Batman Arkham games.

I never did play the sequel to Mark of Kri, even though I've owned it for a long time. At this point it's probably not that great. I remember it not getting very good reviews.

• Options
    Now that you mention it, I have very similar opinions of both games. I enjoy the stealth, but feel like the game goes to shit when I have to actually fight.

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    Beep boop The Drop.
    New Releases: May 3, 2016

Azkend 2: The World Beneath (+ Trial)
    PS4, PS Vita — Digital (Cross Buy)

Azkend 2 is a casual match-three puzzle game with more than 60 levels of impeccably polished gameplay. Discover and equip more than a dozen unique powerups, and complete hidden object mini-games on your journey.

Battleborn
    PS4 — Digital, Retail

A tremendous band of badass heroes fight to protect the universe’s very last star from a mysterious evil in this next-gen shooter by the creators of Borderlands. Slash and parry, run and gun, cast and dash, or simply obliterate foes while building and growing your personal team of heroes.

Buff Knight Advanced
    PS4 — Digital

Buff Knight Advanced is a 2D RPG where you’re constantly on the move. Kill the invading monsters with your sword or by timing your use of spells carefully! As you progress the game becomes more intense with stronger and uglier monsters! Collect artifacts and upgrade your items and attributes to become the most buff Knight the world has ever seen!

Coffin Dodgers
    PS4 — Digital

Coffin Dodgers sees you take on the role of saving one of seven quirky retirement village residents, each racing for their soul in mobility scooters against none other than the Grim Reaper himself. Our old heroes are armed with a variety of homemade weapons and gadgets to take on anything the Grim Reaper and his Zombie army may throw at them.

The King of Fighters 2000 (PS2)
    PS4 — Digital

The King of Fighters 2000 brings back the elements that made the success of its prequel KOF ’99 a huge success, while making the gameplay more accessible to an even wider audience. Numerous hero characters from SNK’s nostalgic franchises join the roster, giving assistance to their team members via the new Active Striker gameplay feature.

Neverending Nightmares
    PS4, PS Vita — Digital (Cross Buy)

Experience true psychological horror as you explore nightmares inspired by the creator’s struggles with depression and OCD. The defenseless protagonist must avoid monstrous manifestations of what haunts his subconscious in his quest to wake up into reality.

The Park
    PS4 — Digital

A day at the park… a lost teddy bear… a missing child. As the sun sets over Atlantic Island Park, you must explore its dilapidated rides in search of your son, Callum. As darkness falls, you will experience panic and paranoia through a narrative written by a team of award winning storytellers.

Push Me Pull You
    PS4 — Digital

Push Me Pull You is a local multiplayer game about friendship and wrestling. Joined at the waist, you and your partner share a long, wriggling body as you wrestle your opponents for control of the ball. With every action affecting both you and your partner, PMPY combines the best parts of co-op multiplayer with the worst parts of your last breakup.

Ray Gigant
    PS Vita — Digital

Ray Gigant is a unique dungeon crawler RPG which combines dungeon crawling adventure with Japanese visual novel like storytelling. Ray Gigant adopts a unique style of battle where you will be fighting massive enemies from different perspectives to engage in three-way view battles. Use the rhythm-based, Slash Beat Mode to unleash deadly attacks while feeling the fate of the heroes resonate through their bodies!

Shadow Complex Remastered
    PS4 — Digital

Chair’s fresh twist on classic side-scrolling design with modern cutting-edge gameplay is amplified in Shadow Complex Remastered. Featuring 10+ hours of exploration and fast-paced combat from the award-winning original game, updated with graphical enhancements, new dynamic melee take-downs, and additional Master Challenges.

Table Top Racing: World Tour
    PS4 — Digital (Free with PS Plus)

Get behind the wheel of 12 ultra-cool, fully tuneable miniture racing cars and take on 20 race tracks through a comprehensive Championship Mode and a multitude of Special Events. Use Power-ups and Wheel Weapons and blast your way to victory!

Don't have a lot of time, so no real breakdown, but there's all the listings.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!