As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Canadian Politics] Justin Trudeau's Great Canadian Electoral Reform Personality Test

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Disco11 wrote: »
    Geddoe wrote: »
    Not sure which is worse. The article about town council for Montague voting to not fly a rainbow flag for Pride PEI. Or the letter saying that those that are trying to get the town council to change their minds are bullies. And that the pressure to change their mind about flying a flag are basically bullying in the exact same way the LGBT community "was" bullied.

I surround myself with pretty open minded people and tend to forget how homophobic some people are. I have a cousin that just came out this morning (on facebook, she was already out to family) and to see some of the vitriolic comments reminded me that for as far as we've come there is still so far to go. I've fundamentally never understood why strait people are offended or threatened by anyone that's LGBTQ... Someone that says "I'm gay!" has about as much effect on my life as saying "I'm a vegetarian!".

What are you, kidding me? Vegetarians have way more of a detrimental impact on my life than queer people. "Okay, dumplings is out, because it's not vegetarian. What about sushi?" "Sushi's fish." "Yeah?" "But Joe and Susie are vegetarian." "No, Joe eats fish." "Wait what, then how can Joe be a vegetarian?" "I'm not really a vegetarian, I guess. It's an ethical thing" "But fish have feelings too!" "Goddammit people, can we fucking focus here? I'm hungry!" "Okay, sushi then?" "No, Susie doesn't eat fish." "... :cry: ... "

hippofant on
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    Geddoe wrote: »
    Not sure which is worse. The article about town council for Montague voting to not fly a rainbow flag for Pride PEI. Or the letter saying that those that are trying to get the town council to change their minds are bullies. And that the pressure to change their mind about flying a flag are basically bullying in the exact same way the LGBT community "was" bullied.

I surround myself with pretty open minded people and tend to forget how homophobic some people are. I have a cousin that just came out this morning (on facebook, she was already out to family) and to see some of the vitriolic comments reminded me that for as far as we've come there is still so far to go. I've fundamentally never understood why strait people are offended or threatened by anyone that's LGBTQ... Someone that says "I'm gay!" has about as much effect on my life as saying "I'm a vegetarian!".

What are you, kidding me? Vegetarians have way more of a detrimental impact on my life than queer people. "Okay, dumplings is out, because it's not vegetarian. What about sushi?" "Sushi's fish." "Yeah?" "But Joe and Susie are vegetarian." "No, Joe eats fish." "Wait what, then how can Joe be a vegetarian?" "I'm not really a vegetarian, I guess. It's an ethical thing" "But fish have feelings too!" "Goddammit people, can we fucking focus here? I'm hungry!" "Okay, sushi then?" "No, Susie doesn't eat fish." "... :cry: ... "

You go out for Ethiopian!

It's great for anyone except people who hate colors.

Or soda bread.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

Wow. That ad is American in its embarrassing imagery.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    I did not think anybody could find a more obnoxiously tone-deaf way to pimp the oil industry than Ezra Levant.

I was wrong.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Sexual equality has nothing to do with oil production, and that ad serves to make us look less progressive on both fronts.

488W936.png
  • Options
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    I am going to miss that man when I move to Florida next week.

Figures after all these years enduring Harper I had to pick now to have good reasons to continue my education in the States.

488W936.png
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular

""When you step out your front door, you never know what adventures await," Mr Godby later wrote in a Facebook post about the encounter."
    "Mrs. Godby, with a wistful look in her eyes, was unavailable for comment"

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Apparently a strong believer in "Suns out, guns out"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Aww, they didn't use the actual shirtless Trudeau selfie in the promo tweet.

01zs90nrthds.jpg

Much better. My next OP is just going to be goofy Trudeau pics, isn't it?

SwashbucklerXX on
  • Options
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    The entire "Mr. Big" thing is entrapment, especially as it mostly works on people who are desperately poor or gullible due to low IQ or mental health issues.

SwashbucklerXX on
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Well, if you like shirtless PMs, rumours are that he is taking in Pacific Rim National Park (and Tofino and Ucluelet) this week. My wife is hoping to bump into him because IIRC "He likes native people in politics" :)

I hope that is translating into budget dollars and other means of support of our various nations within our nation, especially in areas that effect us all when it comes to rural and remote access to emergency services and health care, internet/library/postal infrastructure and service, a minimum affordable income / cost of living, affordable low income housing, safe drinking water, and on and on it goes.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Clearly he is training for a meeting with Putin.

• Options
  • Options

Every little bit helps, good to see this.
    I am not sure if the no repayment until you make $25k thing already existed already, I thought it did.

• Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »

Every little bit helps, good to see this.
    I am not sure if the no repayment until you make $25k thing already existed already, I thought it did.

They raised the limit, I believe.

Though, if you listen to the brief talk radio thing, they do raise the point that 25k is still probably too low.

• Options
    $14 an hour, full time hours, is about $28 K gross annually. Unfortunately due the cost of living in BC, especially more remote parts of it, doesn't even come close to being a living wage. But at least its a step in the right direction, doesn't absolve responsibility for hardship yet though.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    There's a report from 2008 I think? A living wage for Vancouver was determined to be over $20/hr.

You could live in a mid-sized city in a studenty area in Ontario on 25k/yr, with roommates, and you'd be eating a lot of ramen or beans on toast and taking public transit.

And you'd probably be sweating the student loan payments.

I hope that we can move to free tuition sooner than later.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Basically, it's cool that they did it, but if the payments still only start at, or below, the poverty line in most places, it's not enough

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    We are never going to get free tuition. England had it and it went away because it is to expensive. What we need is to move away from an outdated 600 year old system and towards vocational training towards specific careers, which is shorter and more useful.

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Oats wrote: »
    There's a report from 2008 I think? A living wage for Vancouver was determined to be over $20/hr.

You could live in a mid-sized city in a studenty area in Ontario on 25k/yr, with roommates, and you'd be eating a lot of ramen or beans on toast and taking public transit.

And you'd probably be sweating the student loan payments.

I hope that we can move to free tuition sooner than later.

The only thing I have against free tuition is that it will encourage more postings for jobs that require diploma in anything to be considered.

What exactly is the worth of the diploma then?

• Options
    Businesses are doing that anyways because they think it some how absolves them of having to do more than a day or two of training, which is idiotic.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Businesses are doing that anyways because they think it some how absolves them of having to do more than a day or two of training, which is idiotic.

My company has adopted this policy and it's a nightmare. Also, having only a high school diploma it's a little ironic that I beat out the grads by a large margin every performance review.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

They aren't doing it to skip on training. They are doing it because why not? It's an easy way to filter resumes down to a manageable number.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

They aren't doing it to skip on training. They are doing it because why not? It's an easy way to filter resumes down to a manageable number.

It has about as much value as only hiring people who have brown eyes. Not quote sure what an art history degree will do in (my profession) sales.

I just find we are asking for more and more initial qualifications for beginner jobs. Be it years of experience, a diploma or both for positions that 30 years ago would have been trained on the job.

• Options

It has about as much value as only hiring people who have brown eyes. Not quote sure what an art history degree will do in (my profession) sales.

I just find we are asking for more and more initial qualifications for beginner jobs. Be it years of experience, a diploma or both for positions that 30 years ago would have been trained on the job.

Absolutely. And more specific qualifications for jobs. Toronto is the worst. Lots of jobs asking for "local experience" to rule out immigrants or people who have moved from elsewhere because fuck you, I guess. Then I was ruled out for a volunteer management position despite several years of actual volunteer management experience because I didn't have a certificate in volunteer management. I didn't even know those were a thing. It's nuts.

• Options
    edited August 2016

To some extent, yeah. But eye colour isn't on your resume and a degree indicates, in general, some level of ability that is not discernable as easily in other things listed there.

At the end of the day there's never only 1 person in your resume like that's good enough to fill the job, so it's all about winnowing it down so you have the best odds. They don't want to take the time to know you, they just want to fill the position.

shryke on
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Ideally, a university degree says "this person is capable of approaching a subject in a critical way, can manage time effectively while working on multiple projects, can communicate effectively and professionally, and can be relied upon to make deadlines."

Practically speaking, I'm not certain that that's the case, but that's my ideal floor of what a university education should mean.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    That's what it should mean, but yeah, I don't really get that impression from a number of graduates.

A small part of me judges based on what they took, "You paid *how* much for that?" I do like seeing ads for jobs wherein they ask for 10 years of experience in something that has only existed for 2-5 years, like a programming language.

Nosf on
  • Options
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Ideally, a university degree says "this person is capable of approaching a subject in a critical way, can manage time effectively while working on multiple projects, can communicate effectively and professionally, and can be relied upon to make deadlines."

Practically speaking, I'm not certain that that's the case, but that's my ideal floor of what a university education should mean.

Having multiple friends that are unemployed but highly educated it also can mean "Cannot work outside of academia" . The ability to excel in school rarely translates to the workforce in a lot of cases.

Not hating on schools. I just think with the automation revolution coming up we should be really putting some thought into what fields really need an education vs proper job training.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    That's what it should mean, but yeah, I don't really get that impression from a number of graduates.

A small part of me judges based on what they took, "You paid *how* much for that?" I do like seeing ads for jobs wherein they ask for 10 years of experience in something that has only existed for 2-5 years, like a programming language.

Those are used as a way to hire internally where there is a policy that jobs must be posted publicly. Post a job ad that nobody can fulfill, wait a few weeks, oh hey nobody applied! So let's just promote bob

• Options
    Phyphor wrote: »

Those are used as a way to hire internally where there is a policy that jobs must be posted publicly. Post a job ad that nobody can fulfill, wait a few weeks, oh hey nobody applied! So let's just promote bob

In the US, that's done to hire an H-1B.

• Options

Having multiple friends that are unemployed but highly educated it also can mean "Cannot work outside of academia" . The ability to excel in school rarely translates to the workforce in a lot of cases.

Not hating on schools. I just think with the automation revolution coming up we should be really putting some thought into what fields really need an education vs proper job training.

Schools aren't for job training. That's what jobs are for.

• Options

Schools aren't for job training. That's what jobs are for.

Which is why we should rethink requiring a 4-year university degree for so many jobs. Right now that degree basically serves as a giant barrier to any sort of decent job for people who can't afford it.

I love the experience I got from both my undergrad and graduate degrees, but that stuff isn't for everyone (and even I enrolled in a very brief graduate program that I was able to fund myself after working for a number of years). Some folks just want to get out there and work, can't afford a four-year degree, or just have gifts and talents that don't revolve around research and writing papers. At least we have a college system here in Canada - that's pretty great, but too many employers just slap "four-year degree" as a requirement on any and every job because they can. I feel like we can value a strong liberal arts education without putting decent work out of the reach of people who have taken a different path in life.

• Options

I eagerly await some right-wing columnist's spiel on him for inappropriately crashing a wedding again.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Whoo! First medal!

(Bronze in women's 4x100 freestyle.)

hippofant on
  • Options
    Silver for Oleksiak in Women's 100m Butterfly!