As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Blue footed boobie [chat]

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    12729034_10209011672352046_7978179516915541810_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=0b1b378617c53c21fd665487e4ebb753&oe=572A4306

poo
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    what does really high wisdom but really low intellect come out as

Probably a good sense of intuition but unable to reason it out. You react on gut instinct and most of the time it's a good call.

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    O_O
    Cinders wrote: »
    O_O

??

Drive home was scary in the death trap.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

There should be a Chance the Gardener class for that.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    oh hey, the page limit is still counting down... D:

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    simonwolf wrote: »
    The correct answer is to play diceless games exploring the emotions and development of beseiged Cathars as they move towards their inevitable defeat in 1244

Or you could play a game of Dread where you're trying to avoid Judge Dredd.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    lol i was browsing my youtube channel and apparently a cover of a song i recorded for wife as an anniversary present some years ago got marked as "copyrighted content" and is "monetized by the claimant" and now plays ads?

lolol what a fakkin world

ah, so, yeah, the original post with the deets.

Bear in mind that fair use is an aggregate thing:

It's not criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, or research, the uses that are usually covered by fair use

Being posted on youtube makes "non-commercial" a weaker claim. Not commercialized by slandshark, but youtube is using it, by having it there - that particular video not having ads on it before doesn't make much of a difference, youtube is commercially driven and it's been ruled in similar cases that just because something is free doesn't mean it being used non-commercially

The nature of the work makes one's fair use claim weaker, as well, as it's a work of a more creative nature - IE, a song - where using factual works are more likely to support fair use, since the purpose of the law is to encourage creative expression, as well as the principle that facts cannot be copyrighted (only their particular expression)

The entirety (I presume) of the work being used, instead of a snippet or something like it, further weakens the claim to fair use

Finally though, the harm on the original is non-existent, and the possible harm caused if it becomes widespread is not very substantial, which strengthens the claim

all in all, I wouldn't be so sure that fair use would be a slam dunk to prove here

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    Also ked

Yes that was me in vh's twitch channel the other night. I meant to respond but I was slow and then the conversation moved elsewhere so I never said.

Hmm yes you did seem substantially Neco-like with your jokes. This checks out.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    @Arch I am depending on you to put this who zika mess to bed.

dont worry dongy i got u boo

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    The correct answer is to play diceless games exploring the emotions and development of beseiged Cathars as they move towards their inevitable defeat in 1244

*scribbles RMS's name on list*

• Options
    I watched someone lose control of their car and drive into a ditch on the other side of the road.

• Options

*scribbles RMS's name on list*

*Neatly inscribes simonwolf's name into counter-list*

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Oh god why is chat almist done
    what are you doing mods?
    YOU ARE TEARING ME APART LISA

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular

Nobody avoids the LAW, creep!

sig.gif
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    SanderJK wrote: »
    I do remember the 3.5 soulbow to be RAW broken to the point where it couldn't fire more than one arrow a turn but even with a generous reading of the rules turning an already mediocre melee class into a ranged attack class at level 6+ is never going to be good.

Especially because if Psionics are allowed, why aren't you playing a Psion, who are immensely strong. (Vigor alone is silly good)

You could probably make a psionic missiles build that does more damage and adds effects than a Soulbow.

Look all you need is to get to like level 15 and be a Thi-Kreen and take these Dragon Magazine feats and dip in a couple of prestige classes and you can shoot up to 14 arrows that each split into two arrows and you can reroll every single attack roll!

or just be a single class caster and dominate everything else in the game

My fiancé's little brother just started playing pathfinder and started to try and ask me build questions. I asked him what class and race he'd chosen, the answer was druid, I said he didn't need any advice beyond natural spell. I let him go a few sessions before I let him know he already made the best possible choice and that everything else was just gravy for him.

I've personally been getting into the running of shadows lately (both 4th and 5th) and I have a weekly 5e dnd game and a monthly pathfinder game.

Though I'm really hoping to get a few sessions of the lone wolf adventure game on soon. I really like the setting what with its ascetic psionic knights. Also the resolution mechanic is super weird so I want to check that out more.

Lone Wolf as in those choose-your-own-adventure books from the 80s?

Yes they have made a table top role playing game out of it set before all the books.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Oh god Kim no no no that hair does NOT work for you color or style.

kim-kardashian-north-ice-skating-photos15-480w.jpg

I like it. Puts me in the mood for hot chocolate for some reason.

look at the rich person sporting ridiculous style because they don't have to hold down a job or display any sense of self-respect

Please, she hasn't crossed into Michael Jackson territory yet.

• Options
    I do remember the 3.5 soulbow to be RAW broken to the point where it couldn't fire more than one arrow a turn but even with a generous reading of the rules turning an already mediocre melee class into a ranged attack class at level 6+ is never going to be good.

Especially because if Psionics are allowed, why aren't you playing a Psion, who are immensely strong. (Vigor alone is silly good)

You could probably make a psionic missiles build that does more damage and adds effects than a Soulbow.

Look all you need is to get to like level 15 and be a Thi-Kreen and take these Dragon Magazine feats and dip in a couple of prestige classes and you can shoot up to 14 arrows that each split into two arrows and you can reroll every single attack roll!

My fiancé's little brother just started playing pathfinder and started to try and ask me build questions. I asked him what class and race he'd chosen, the answer was druid, I said he didn't need any advice beyond natural spell. I let him go a few sessions before I let him know he already made the best possible choice and that everything else was just gravy for him.

I've personally been getting into the running of shadows lately (both 4th and 5th) and I have a weekly 5e dnd game and a monthly pathfinder game.

Though I'm really hoping to get a few sessions of the lone wolf adventure game on soon. I really like the setting what with its ascetic psionic knights. Also the resolution mechanic is super weird so I want to check that out more.

Yes they have made a table top role playing game out of it set before all the books.

Do you basically end up as god in the tabletop version?

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    kedinik wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »

is that allowed tho?

i thought covers were totally legit

or maybe i was just so good the software assumed i was sampling the original song

The rights holder could argue it was a derivative work and you could argue it was a non-commercial fair use.

it's almost always the former

covers aren't protected by fair use; royalties are owed. Parody is a special case, though.

EDIT: I mean, because arguing that it is a derivative work is barely arguing. It's the very definition of a cover.

I suspect it would be hard to find any easier fair-use slamdunk than a non-commercial cover you wrote to celebrate your anniversary with your partner.

No, quite the opposite, because it doesn't satisfy any of the explicit conditions of fair use, making it, at best, something that might squeak in under fair use.
    Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 17 U.S.C. § 106 and 17 U.S.C. § 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright

Note the open-ended "for purposes such as" language, which means the listed purposes are not an exclusive list of fair uses.

Which helps to explain why sufficiently modified covers with non-commercial purposes and no impact on the market are quite likely to be fair uses of underlying songs: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campbell_v._Acuff-Rose_Music,_Inc.

Yeah, I know, but that case is substantially different since the amount of the work used is far less

EDIT: Also, that was specifically a parody (comment+criticism) which a cover is not

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    THE END DRAWS NEAR!!!

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

Imagine a layperson half-watching a documentary on the manhattan project and then getting sent back to 1942 to help end WWII.

Invaluable prescience, loose idea of how to proceed, absolutely no specifics.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    I watched someone lose control of their car and drive into a ditch on the other side of the road.

Seattle is hilarious on the rare occasions that it snows. People are sliding into other cars, off the roads, into ditches, and then the entire city shuts down for a few days.

God damn it it needs to fucking snow here again!!!

Neco on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

look at the rich person sporting ridiculous style because they don't have to hold down a job or display any sense of self-respect

sporting styles is her job?

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Hey @Shivahn

Remember the old game of "Satanic Ritual or Scientific Protocol?" you developed?

Got another one for you
    Ross (1954) used a bat's wing membrane in experiments in which the transmission of Chikungunya A and B viruses by A. aegypti was studied.

Their experimental protocol was literally "Wing of bat, eye of newt"

@Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud

• Options
    edited February 2016

Seattle is hilarious on the rare occasions that it snows. People are sliding into other cars, off the roads, into ditches, and then the entire city shuts down for a few days.

God damn it it beteds to fucking snow here again!!!

I think I've met my quota of posting that HOLY F**K IT'S SNOWING headline this winter

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options

This is Illinois/Wisconsin

People should know how to drive in snow.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I bought half a dozen of those Lone Wolf books back in the day and cheated like a motherfucker. Why, yes, I do have 20 strength and 20 agility and three Sommerswerds.

• Options

is that allowed tho?

i thought covers were totally legit

or maybe i was just so good the software assumed i was sampling the original song

The rights holder could argue it was a derivative work and you could argue it was a non-commercial fair use.

it's almost always the former

covers aren't protected by fair use; royalties are owed. Parody is a special case, though.

EDIT: I mean, because arguing that it is a derivative work is barely arguing. It's the very definition of a cover.

I suspect it would be hard to find any easier fair-use slamdunk than a non-commercial cover you wrote to celebrate your anniversary with your partner.

No, quite the opposite, because it doesn't satisfy any of the explicit conditions of fair use, making it, at best, something that might squeak in under fair use.
    Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 17 U.S.C. § 106 and 17 U.S.C. § 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright

Note the open-ended "for purposes such as" language, which means the listed purposes are not an exclusive list of fair uses.

Which helps to explain why sufficiently modified covers with non-commercial purposes and no impact on the market are quite likely to be fair uses of underlying songs: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campbell_v._Acuff-Rose_Music,_Inc.

Yeah, I know, but that case is substantially different since the amount of the work used is far less

You seem dead set on concluding that a fact-sensitive, case-by-case analysis has a broad and firm answer that matches the conclusion you reached before you learned about the case-by-case factors.

• Options
    The real correct answer is to play Apocalypse World all day erry day

or Monsterhearts

or Saga of the Icelanders

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    override367 on
  • Options

Do you basically end up as god in the tabletop version?

Not sure haven't gotten to play it too much. Starting out though you aren't too super strong or skilled or anything. The box set itself is actually a really quality product, and it comes with some pre made characters. You can practically open it and be playing with it in minutes (so long as you don't mind messing up rules a little on your first play through).

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    edited February 2016

sporting styles is her job?

Wait, I hate these people so much I try not to pay attention:

Is she an actual model-model?

Or just somebody designers provide free clothing to because people take her picture while she's out being worthless?

FroThulhu on
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    The real correct answer is to play Apocalypse World all day erry day

or Monsterhearts

or Saga of the Icelanders

can we play my diceless RPG about time travel and not punching hitler?

• Options

I laughed quite heartily at the expiration date of that registration.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Like, in the context of copying virtually an entire song for purposes of parodying the original song, the Supreme Court has said to basically ignore the nature-of-the-work and amount-used factors, because otherwise the legal system would prohibit a broad set of artistically valuable works for no particularly good reason.

It is hard to figure why the same reasoning would not apply with the same force in the similar context of cover songs.

kedinik on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    hmm idk why that link doesnt work

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Got the itch to do this again

Geth, roll 4d6k3 for STR
    Geth, roll 4d6k3 for DEX
    Geth, roll 4d6k3 for CON
    Geth, roll 4d6k3 for INT
    Geth, roll 4d6k3 for WIS
    Geth, roll 4d6k3 for CHA

Looks like you're going...Druid?

Also I hate that no one wants to roll characters like this. Stats first then backstory, then class.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options

This is Illinois/Wisconsin

People should know how to drive in snow.

Oh for sure.

One of my best friends grew up in Wisconsin and she is more worried about Seattle drivers in the snow than the actual snow.

• Options
    NhaqPu0.jpg

Yes, this is a book worth reading.

This discussion has been closed.