As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MMA]Break a leg!

• Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    Reznik wrote: »
    I'm seriously considering fighting, at least once. When I started training Muay Thai it was really more of a get off my ass/get in shape thing. But now after doing it for almost 4 months, the idea of doing one fight just to be able to say I did it is getting more and more appealing.

Wouldn't be for a long while yet, though. Technique aside, my cardio is shit. I've tried to start running but my knees start getting really sore, even with a new pair of good running shoes.

MMA fight or thai? Thai you can get an amateur fight with headgear and shinguards, MMA is a lot riskier. If you decide to do a MMA fight you have to be careful to find a good promoter, I can tell you some promoters match up fighters with guys they're trying to build up to pad their record to work towards larger promotions, have to be really careful of that. I'd definitely recommend a thai fight with some of the protective gear and all, MMA not so much for most people.

Definitely just Thai, I have absolutely no ground game to speak of. My gym has guys fighting pretty regularly in local/regional amateur fights (one coming up on Saturday actually) and I've been to a few events already. I've actually had a ton more fun watching amateur MT fights than pretty much any UFC card I can remember. Don't know if it's just the live atmosphere or what. The headgear seems like it'd get pretty annoying when you're working the clinch, but I appreciate the shin guards.

In any case, I haven't even started sparring yet so this is all pretty far down the road. I've still got a lot of work to do (like the goddamn switch kick)

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    I'm seriously considering fighting, at least once. When I started training Muay Thai it was really more of a get off my ass/get in shape thing. But now after doing it for almost 4 months, the idea of doing one fight just to be able to say I did it is getting more and more appealing.

Wouldn't be for a long while yet, though. Technique aside, my cardio is shit. I've tried to start running but my knees start getting really sore, even with a new pair of good running shoes.

MMA fight or thai? Thai you can get an amateur fight with headgear and shinguards, MMA is a lot riskier. If you decide to do a MMA fight you have to be careful to find a good promoter, I can tell you some promoters match up fighters with guys they're trying to build up to pad their record to work towards larger promotions, have to be really careful of that. I'd definitely recommend a thai fight with some of the protective gear and all, MMA not so much for most people.

i had a fight like that once.

Or at least that's what they tell me.

• Options
    Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular

Definitely just Thai, I have absolutely no ground game to speak of. My gym has guys fighting pretty regularly in local/regional amateur fights (one coming up on Saturday actually) and I've been to a few events already. I've actually had a ton more fun watching amateur MT fights than pretty much any UFC card I can remember. Don't know if it's just the live atmosphere or what. The headgear seems like it'd get pretty annoying when you're working the clinch, but I appreciate the shin guards.

In any case, I haven't even started sparring yet so this is all pretty far down the road. I've still got a lot of work to do (like the goddamn switch kick)

Yeah that's a long ways off but it's a good goal to build towards, just get some good light sparring in, work on your timing and now and then get into a war to test yourself a little. Just not all the time, don't waste your chin.
    rockrnger wrote: »

i had a fight like that once.

Or at least that's what they tell me.

It's crazy man, some of these promotions will literally throw anyone in with their guys to pad the records. I saw a guy who comes from a fight gym that has active and former UFC fighters fight a kid in nike shorts and his dad coaching him in a main event fight once. Dude clearly had a very tiny amount of boxing but that was it. Also saw a guy with one arm fight a guy who if he had two arms probably would have 15 pounds on him, and one armed guy had what looked like no training vs a guy that was clearly a well trained amateur. There's some crazy shit out there.

Oh also saw a fight where the main event had a guy no show and they had someone who was there to watch the fights get in the ring and fill in. Kid was a very solid wrestler but it didn't go his way to say the least.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Options

Yeah that's a long ways off but it's a good goal to build towards, just get some good light sparring in, work on your timing and now and then get into a war to test yourself a little. Just not all the time, don't waste your chin.

Oh for sure. From the sparring I've observed my gym doesn't encourage that anyway. There's a lot of flow sparring, and when people are putting any power into it it's certainly not 100%. They really hammer home technique first.

Forget it...
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular

Jump rope!

We do every class, I'm just looking to start doing stuff between classes. Running made sense to me because I already walk everywhere and I don't have enough room in my apartment to do anything. If I could get out of work earlier I'd hit up the open gym time and use the bike there, but my schedule's pretty tight already :/

Stupid employment and its necessity.

Do you have space for a heavy bag? I had one in my basement back when I was into punching dudes for fun and if you do body weight exercises (push ups, sit-ups, lunges, etc) while focusing on spending X minutes on the bag between sets it'll do wonders for cardio.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Jump rope!

We do every class, I'm just looking to start doing stuff between classes. Running made sense to me because I already walk everywhere and I don't have enough room in my apartment to do anything. If I could get out of work earlier I'd hit up the open gym time and use the bike there, but my schedule's pretty tight already :/

Do you have space for a heavy bag? I had one in my basement back when I was into punching dudes for fun and if you do body weight exercises (push ups, sit-ups, lunges, etc) while focusing on spending X minutes on the bag between sets it'll do wonders for cardio.

Unfortunately, no. Very small apartment. I've taken to shadowboxing while watching Netflix, I just can't move around too much (or throw many kicks). I'll try mixing in the bodyweight stuff with that, though. Maybe set up my laptop with a boxing timer.

Forget it...
  • Options

Oh for sure. From the sparring I've observed my gym doesn't encourage that anyway. There's a lot of flow sparring, and when people are putting any power into it it's certainly not 100%. They really hammer home technique first.

That's awesome man sign of a good striking gym. I wish I had that earlier I just had people swinging for the fences first couple years. If the weather is decent where you are just get a jump rope for double unders and a kettle bell. All you need really and doesn't take up almost any room.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    if watching those pre ufc event training videos have taught me anything its that those big ropes are imperative

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Jump rope!

Get a rope and jump more at home!

That was just my suggestion because it's what I used to do.

I have bad knees so they end up making running a nightmare so I p much never ran for cardio.

Or try staying at class afterwards/on free mat times and just do cardio striking drills.

That works well too!

• Options
    The key is to watch more Leonard Garcia videos to learn striking

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Bellator fighter Jordan Parsons has died after a hit and run on Sunday. He was 25. 11-2 pro record, 2-1 Bellator, was scheduled to fight on the 154 card next week

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Joe Rogan had Miesha Tate on his podcast, decent stuff, a bit better than Brendan Schaub always ripping the UFC for sure, 100%, but what's making the news (and Van Zant confirmed) is the story told in the video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEgoztUtDqQ

• Options
    UhtredUhtred Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Is Joe still ranting about dumb as fuck "SJW's are taking over" issues and how Transgender people should get a separate bathroom?

Also, Miesha is awesome. Holly is awesome. The sport needs more fighters like them and less like Ronda and Jones who are actual shitheads, not just for pretend.

Uhtred on
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Uhtred wrote: »
    Is Joe still ranting about dumb as fuck "SJW's are taking over" issues and how Transgender people should get a separate bathroom?

Luckily, not in this one.

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Now Conor's trying to fight Mayweather. Does anyone anywhere want to watch that fight? Gods know I don't.

Eh, my data cap makes it a non issue anyway.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    No need for a comment here, methinks.

EyAWwLu.jpg

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    Lighting, bro.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    I was going to say that he's no longer jacked up on steroids...but it could be lighting too.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »
    I was going to say that he's no longer jacked up on steroids...but it could be lighting too.

I'm going with a combination of the two. The first pic is taken from a lower angle with the camera ever so slightly tilted up, which give the shadows on his triceps, abs, and pecs more pop and provides much more contrast than the nearly straight on angle of the second shot. Although his lats do look a bit smaller, also no roids/horsemeat.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    His neck definitely looks different.

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    Emmett looked great against Tuck.

His ring finger injury in the 3rd was gross, though. It was clearly broken and pointing in an extremely wrong angle.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Oh fuck, the bone is sticking out

auuuuugh

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Updated the OP with a swath of new champs in all organizations.

Been a bit lazy.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Man, Bigfoot is nothing without his TRT. Poor guy.

I assume he gets cut from the UFC after this.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Jordan Parsons shout out by Strueve.

Sad Stuff

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    The power of Holland came through tonight. Now, to look for gifs.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Damn, they threw Elmose to the wolves. Sad to see her sacrificed on the home crowd altar. Better luck next time, Anna.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    198 this weekend something to get hyped for

RGEy2yv.jpg

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    That card is absolutely bonkers.

Though I'm not sure how I feel about watching another woman get murdered by Cyborg.

• Options
    Solid mega card.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Campy wrote: »
    That card is absolutely bonkers.

Though I'm not sure how I feel about watching another woman get murdered by Cyborg.

Ronda best be scared

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    The owners of the UFC are in advanced talks to sell the business, sources told ESPN.com.

At least four bidders -- including WME/IMG, China Media Capital, The Blackstone Group and Dalian Wanda Group -- are believed to have submitted bids for the organization. The winning bid, should things proceed, is expected to be for a valuation of in between $3.5 billion and $4 billion, multiple sources with knowledge of the negotiations told ESPN.com.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I think this could be really good for the sport. As much as the Fertitas and Dana have done to build the sport, they seem like an anachronism in the new professional era we're now in. Just as the presentation of the fights and the fighters has changed, so should everything else.

In other significantly more shitty news, Silva is off this weekend's card. Some complications with his gall bladder apparently? Was really looking forward to that bout, doubt they're going to find anyone to fight Hall at the last minute either. Maybe Cerrone could jump up a couple'a weight classes?

Campy on
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    For what it's worth, Dana White is denying the sale rumors.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    New weight cutting rules coming into effect as of UFC 200, will probably be a bunch of guys moving up a weight class.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ufc-implementing-weigh-policy-starting-ufc-200-152512292--mma.html

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    That weight cut guideline seems pretty reasonable. Be interesting to see what effects it'll have on weight classes.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Analysis of Josh Barnett's win over Dean Lister at Metamoris. Really interesting insight from a catch wrestling perspective.

https://youtu.be/1X5N_7LCVtM

The best part is at 7:10. =D

• Options
    the best part was muting the music

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Really really cool, Richard Abraham won the glory welterweight tournament last night. He's a regular by our place, visits to work with our guys and spar on Mondays, had my coach corner him. Great guy and scary as hell in the ring.

*Edit* Should mention it was a qualifier tournament

Chessboxing909 on

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Fights are on. Card is weirdly stacked.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png