As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SWTOR] A new chapter is out

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    It was in an official Blur trailer/cinematic or something like that...which they then decided wasn't canon. Despite being an official trailer/cinematic.

Possibly they tried adding it but it inexplicably turned everyone into ewoks because Hero engine.

Strikor on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Strikor wrote: »
    It was in an official Blur trailer/cinematic or something like that...which they then decided wasn't canon. Despite being an official trailer/cinematic.

Possibly they tried adding it but it inexplicably turned everyone into ewoks because Hero engine.

I've noticed a lot of lag spikes with some of the new fights--hoorah for the Hero engine!

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    So something just occurred to me...wasn't there a video clip of malgus being recovered in carbonite, did that go anywhere?

Did I imagine it?

Also some thoughts on SCORPIO better have played through the current set of missions to be safe:
    So why didn't she broach the subject of finding the origin of the gravestone and her to me?

I'd have to be an absolute fool not to want a shot at the source of that technology, why go through such ridiculous lengths to betray me when apparently she knew she'd be relying on me anyway?

Why would I ever let her have her way after that betrayal except to see what happens on one character?

I've seen the missions and best guess is...
    ...she simply didn't trust any organics with the Eternal Fleet's & Gravestone's origins unless she was as in much control of both as possible before checking it out. Perhaps a lingering remnant of memory from what happened with the creators plus a lot of disappointment from the organics she's interacted with over the years.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I've been playing PvP a bunch. I've noticed a psychological quirk on the three point maps where teams who only have one point tend to leave a ton of people protecting it, even if the winning team is only assaulting it with one or two people.

Now that I've unlocked the ability to play ranked matches, is there any reason not to play them, at least after I've gotten the unranked daily out of the way?

Also, Ranrt Crystals sell. I have money now!

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    So something just occurred to me...wasn't there a video clip of malgus being recovered in carbonite, did that go anywhere?

Did I imagine it?

Also some thoughts on SCORPIO better have played through the current set of missions to be safe:
    So why didn't she broach the subject of finding the origin of the gravestone and her to me?

I'd have to be an absolute fool not to want a shot at the source of that technology, why go through such ridiculous lengths to betray me when apparently she knew she'd be relying on me anyway?

Why would I ever let her have her way after that betrayal except to see what happens on one character?

...she simply didn't trust any organics with the Eternal Fleet's & Gravestone's origins unless she was as in much control of both as possible before checking it out. Perhaps a lingering remnant of memory from what happened with the creators plus a lot of disappointment from the organics she's interacted with over the years.
    I believe she later states, right before you kill or forgive her, that organics have only ever treated her as a weapon. That explains the betrayal. In her mind the player is only going to use her and her home as weapons.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    EnclaveofGnomesEnclaveofGnomes Registered User regular

Did I imagine it?

I believe she later states, right before you kill or forgive her, that organics have only ever treated her as a weapon. That explains the betrayal. In her mind the player is only going to use her and her home as weapons.

See I don't really buy that, because not only does it not take into account any treatment you personally have had with her...but also the minor fact that she uses up and kills organics at a rate of hundreds.

Poor you, people treat you like a terminator because you keep terminating.
    It just felt like the path of least resistance writing to get what they wanted to happen to happen...SCORPIO goes through no changes. Doesn't adapt or evolve...she remains the Terminator with an ego she was when the agent first meets her. For a "being" who's whole shtick is self iteration it's ridiculous.

• Options

Did I imagine it?

See I don't really buy that, because not only does it not take into account any treatment you personally have had with her...but also the minor fact that she uses up and kills organics at a rate of hundreds.

Poor you, people treat you like a terminator because you keep terminating.
    It just felt like the path of least resistance writing to get what they wanted to happen to happen...SCORPIO goes through no changes. Doesn't adapt or evolve...she remains the Terminator with an ego she was when the agent first meets her. For a "being" who's whole shtick is self iteration it's ridiculous.
    I don't disagree.
    It felt like they decided to rewrite her character just for Iokath. It was jarring to see a relentless killbot suddenly putting herself in a vulnerable position and begging the player to give her control of the planet. She should have had one last betrayal planned at the end.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Yeah, my Agent has Issues about personal freedom - as I suspect many do, due to the events of the class story - yet any flicker of sympathy he might feel is snuffed by the knowledge that what she's done with what freedom she's had so far is to betray him repeatedly and act like just as much of a selfish megalomaniac monster as any Sith. Setting her entirely free, with a Dyson sphere at her command, could be as bad as unleashing Valkorion on the galaxy again. Sorry, she's just too dangerous.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I ended up liking this expansion a lot more than I thought I would. I even like the theory behind the gearing up process since it rewards effort - though obviously I don't think the RNG aspect is intelligent and will wear on people the longer it goes on. If nothing else I think it's going to revitalize endgame crafting. (you don't have to RE to get endgame schematics, endgame schematics are drops and are in fact the only immediately useful thing that bosses drop anymore).

I always play the chapters first on my super lightside goodie two-shoes
    Saved Senya and Arcann. Let Scorpio go be a god planet. Killed Vaylin and Valkorian without hesitation. Knew Valkorian wanted me to ascend the throne so he could rule from my body, the perverted fucko. Choose Vette over Torian, but it really wasn't much of a choice since I didn't have strong feelings for either of them, though I generally disliked Torian and generally liked Vette. The game did manage to make me feel that perhaps Torian could be saved, but I wasn't really that surprised when he died. Felt genuine dread when I was stuck in the Fade inside my own mind. So in terms of storytelling, that was a very good choice. Too often in the past Bioware has shown a lack of awareness at how powerful a "moment where everything seems lost" is or how to properly use it, so it's a bit surprising to find that Bioware Austin of all people were the ones to nail it.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    New armor and an animal companion on the market, both look awesome (imo) http://dulfy.net/2016/12/06/swtor-cm-weekly-sales-december-6-december-13/

• Options
    Oh great there was a 7 hour roll back...I didn't need the credits I'd spent or all the progress made on that character anyway.

• Options
    Wow that's pretty shitty.

In other news:
    Hey everyone,

As many of you have noticed since yesterday’s downtime, Heroic Missions are now repeatable instead of having a weekly lockout. While this is a bug and we are going to fix it with 5.0.1 next week, we don’t consider this an exploit. Thanks for those that have sent their reports of the issue, and enjoy your plethora of Heroics!

-Tait

So..."enjoy" it while you can and hope they don't suddenly change their minds and ban everyone.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Alright guys, I'm in. F2P mode, how do I do the thing? Just made it to Coruscant, general advice? I do appreciate this costume mechanic, it helps a lot with not looking like a doofus for 2/3rds of the game.

Also, if I subscribe for a month, I get access to all of Fallen Empire right?

• Options
    Yeah you get access to all the Fallen Empire/Eternal Throne stuff but it will go away again when your subscription runs out, so I'd say wait until you're ready to run that stuff before you subscribe, if that's what your goal is.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Yeah you get access to all the Fallen Empire/Eternal Throne stuff but it will go away again when your subscription runs out, so I'd say wait until you're ready to run that stuff before you subscribe, if that's what your goal is.

Wait, I didn't realize this was true. Once you unsubscribed you no longer had access to run the new chapters on your alts? I thought subscribing automatically granted you the past expansions for life (just not future ones).

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    I read somewhere that you only get to keep access to them forever if you were subscribed at the time they were released. But I may have interpreted their wording of it incorrectly.

I'll try to check my account since I *think* I wasn't subscribed for the Gault chapter, but I'm not sure.

edit: ok I DO seem to still be able to access the stuff I'm 99% sure I wasn't subscribed for at the time it was released. So that's cool.

Words are hard, yo.

Strikor on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    I read somewhere that you only get to keep access to them forever if you were subscribed at the time they were released. But I may have interpreted their wording of it incorrectly.

I'll try to check my account since I *think* I wasn't subscribed for the Gault chapter, but I'm not sure.

edit: ok I DO seem to still be able to access the stuff I'm 99% sure I wasn't subscribed for at the time it was released. So that's cool.

Words are hard, yo.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the story-chapters are yours once you spend some subscription time. It's the Galactic Command stuff that's locked out to F2Pers and Preferred players.
    Alright guys, I'm in. F2P mode, how do I do the thing? Just made it to Coruscant, general advice?

What class are you playing?

• Options
    David Hayter.

• Options
    So I was thinking about the expansion stuff earlier and
    I remembered Lana talking about how the Eternal Empire was getting massive amounts of tribute from the Republic and Sith and no one seemed to be able to figure out where it was going. There is no way 5 years worth of resources from two superpowers could possibly fit on that one treasure ship, so where did it all go?

• Options
    I remembered Lana talking about how the Eternal Empire was getting massive amounts of tribute from the Republic and Sith and no one seemed to be able to figure out where it was going. There is no way 5 years worth of resources from two superpowers could possibly fit on that one treasure ship, so where did it all go?

Rancors don't just pay for themselves you know!

• Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular

Twi'lek dancers and deathsticks.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    Right, shitter made out of solid polished gold for Arcann it is, then.

I'm actually a bit surprised they
    didn't link it with Iokath at all, like "we send it here and then it disappears and more ships show up!"

• Options
    Okay, so overwhelming amount of new stuff here. Can somone explain orange items and how to keep them relevant? Some of the armors in the stores are adaptable, so they scale with level right? But in the state comparison they're worse than my greens, despite costing around 3k credits each. I watched some online guides and oranges are supposed to scale with level, right?

Also, for a first playthrough, do you need to worry about upgrading items? Or is that more of a new game plus thing?

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Okay, so overwhelming amount of new stuff here. Can somone explain orange items and how to keep them relevant? Some of the armors in the stores are adaptable, so they scale with level right? But in the state comparison they're worse than my greens, despite costing around 3k credits each. I watched some online guides and oranges are supposed to scale with level, right?

Also, for a first playthrough, do you need to worry about upgrading items? Or is that more of a new game plus thing?

They scale by using upgrades. You get higher level upgrades from vendors in put them in the orange gear. The upgrades basically control all the stats on orange gear, unlike the other rarities.

• Options
    edited December 2016

Orange items are referred to colloquially as "shells"; it's armor that lets you customize the stats by fitting mods to it. Each orange item has anywhere from 2 to 5 slots you can fit something into. Each slot takes a different type of mod (armor, mod, enhancement, crystal, hilt/barrel, augment). Orange and other moddable armors have no statistics without mods. So you can upgrade them as you level up, and just equip them for the look (this was more relevant before the outfit designer; it's still relevant for your weapons). There are vendors on fleet in the Supply area that will sell you level-appropriate mods for relatively cheap. You can also buy better ones on the GTN or craft them, but as a first character, it's not worth your time or money. Consider it for character number two, when you can feed it character 1's credits.

You'll want to upgrade your equipment as you level; every 10-15 levels is generally when you want to do it, though you can get by to probably level 25 or so with only a weapon. Oranges scale with level only to the extent that you equip new level-appropriate mods in them. Don't sweat getting the best; you're just looking for "better than you have now" until you hit max level.

Adaptable armor means "anybody can equip it". Some armor is light (Consulars/Inquisitors), some is medium (Agents/Smugglers/Marauders/Sentinels), some is heavy (Soldiers/Bounty Hunters/Guardians/Mercenaries). Adaptable armor will set its armor value to the maximum level your character can equip.

Orca on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Before we had Outfits, the main appeal of orange gear was that you could keep swapping out and upgrading the internals as you level, and keep your "look" consistent, rather than a hodgepodge of whatever had dropped for you lately. Now, of course, you can go ahead and stamp blues and greens or even whites into an outfit slot and it doesn't matter what you're "really" wearing. (Except when you happen to look at your actual paperdoll and wince.)

EDIT: ... oh, you already said that. *blush*

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    It's also worth knowing that while you won't get complete gearing outfits from the main storyline, the Shadow of Revan storyline (Forged Alliances, Shadow of Revan) and its aftermath (Ziost) provide 3 complete sets of armor suitable for maybe a bit under level 65. KOTFE provides still another one for 65, and KOTET for 70.

If you've got further questions about anything, just ask. There's a lot of complexity in this game that isn't very well presented, and some of the UI choices they've made hide important options!

• Options
    Decided to cancel my subscription. I'll check out youtube to see what the light side play through of kotet entails. Will probably do the same for the next expansion. I don't know about you guys, but I'm ready for a new TOR RPG.

• Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    So have they announced any sort of post-KOTET content? I haven't finished KOTET yet, but I did notice that unlike with KOTFE, they have not announced that new chapters will be released in the future. So is the story at end?

If it is, it seems like they'll either have to wind the game down and/or reboot it.

• Options
    No more monthly chapters, probably another expansion next year. And they're *considering* adding some group content.

• Options
    No more monthly chapters, probably another expansion next year. And they're *considering* adding some group content.

I'm surprised they didn't stretch KOTET out like they did KOTFE.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Yeah it seemed like a good way to keep people subscribed /shrug

Maybe they ran out of ideas for HK-55 inspired gear.

Strikor on
  • Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Has anyone else been getting a bug where after mission mail never has any rewards attached?

At first I thought it was just a change they made with the new expansion to stop putting anything in, but then I started to get some that mentioned they were sending me stuff, just without an stuff.

A Sith lady sending me nothing as a 'token of her appreciation' I was willing to believe being an ice-cold burn, but then other people started doing it too, and now I'm thinking I'm missing out on some credits.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Veagle wrote: »
    Has anyone else been getting a bug where after mission mail never has any rewards attached?

At first I thought it was just a change they made with the new expansion to stop putting anything in, but then I started to get some that mentioned they were sending me stuff, just without an stuff.

A Sith lady sending me nothing as a 'token of her appreciation' I was willing to believe being an ice-cold burn, but then other people started doing it too, and now I'm thinking I'm missing out on some credits.

Oh. Huh. I didn't get anything this round of missions but like you I assumed it was designed that way.

• Options
    So, it doesn't appear to be repeatable like the other heroics (maybe because it's part of conquest? dunno), but Darkness on Illum is a good source of command points. It has a 3 stage bonus, and each stage grants 20 command points, then you get another 20 for turning the bonus in.

• Options
    GSF seems to be a good source of command points (400 just for showing up).

But...it's GSF.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Cambiata wrote: »
    So, it doesn't appear to be repeatable like the other heroics (maybe because it's part of conquest? dunno), but Darkness on Illum is a good source of command points. It has a 3 stage bonus, and each stage grants 20 command points, then you get another 20 for turning the bonus in.

If you're going to be flashpointing for command points, you're probably best off finding something with a ton of champions. Do you get full credit for every member of a multi-enemy boss fight?

Athiss is speedrunnable if your team knows what they're doing, and has a bunch of champions right at the end that I've never seen not skipped, but would probably provide a ton of command points for people who don't skip them.

edit: Wait, misread you, you're talking about heroics. The point still holds as far as flashpoints go, though. And maybe heroics, if you can find something with a ton of them. I know there's one on Voss that's mostly fights against champions, with a bit of trash thrown in.

I wonder what the fastest heroic is. Maybe the one on Tatooine, Imperial side, where you need to kill a bunch of escaped prisoners?

edit: Completely forgot about all of those trivial low-level heroics that are pretty much just walking into a single room and killing some trash and then a boss.

jothki on
  • Options
    Orca wrote: »
    GSF seems to be a good source of command points (400 just for showing up).

But...it's GSF.

THE RENT IS TOO DAMN HIGH.

Or uh...well you get the idea.

• Options
    At what command level do you start getting gear with goddamn set bonuses? These level 1 command crates are bullshit, and the rewards too small for me to bother trying to get command points.

• Options
    Orca wrote: »
    At what command level do you start getting gear with goddamn set bonuses? These level 1 command crates are bullshit, and the rewards too small for me to bother trying to get command points.

I dunno. I'm command level on my main and nothing worthwhile in my drops yet. Meanwhile someone who I raided with last week, who hadn't played the game at all since Revanite armor was the top level, kept getting purple gear in his crates all through the raid.