As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stardew Valley - Join us. Thrive.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I get where y'all are coming from but unless there's some leaderboard somewhere this game seems forgiving enough that not having an optimal farming progression seems totally fine?

I've been kinda pushing the relationship stuff hard because I wanted to try to have a dance partner at the first flower dance but in terms of farming I've just been kind of winging it and have a basic barn + coop but still no silo yet and I've got ~25k and an upgraded farmhouse at the end of my first summer. I'd have less money and more crops but I'm only just getting gold from the mines and without advanced sprinklers my current crops take me to about 11am every day to water after I've checked on my animals. More crops would leave time for little else.

I've got enough money for a silo, I just need to get some more copper bars, I am not seeing as much now as I was pushing deeper into the mine.

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Look, if you're daily routine is not exactly wake up -> water/harvest crops -> feed/handle animals -> store materials -> sell materials -> harvest 5 trees -> check crab pots -> hand out gifts -> fish if its raining -> expend energy mining I do not know what to tell you.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah, romance is the most important part of the game, don't get me wrong

The only reason to raise animals and grow crops is so you can cook the favorite meal of the one you love

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Sometimes Kim Pine spends the second half of a day just buying some beers and drinking them on the front porch before going to bed

Kim Pine says: don't talk to me about efficiency ever

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Sometimes I go to the town square and just ride my horse around in circles because I like how the controller vibration feels

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Does fishing get less unbearable if you keep at it?

because my initial forays have been a special kind of frustrating bullshit that doesn't exist elsewhere in the game

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    That fish with the little hat will elude you forever

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Does fishing get less unbearable if you keep at it?

because my initial forays have been a special kind of frustrating bullshit that doesn't exist elsewhere in the game

The more you level up your fishing skill, the larger the "catch zone' gets when you're fishing:

IGcBw40m.jpg
    low level

tflfNBNm.jpg
    high level

You can also get higher-level rods and lures that allow you to catch fish more quickly, or make it more difficult for fish to get away.

• Options
    do you actually need to catch fish to level up, or is repeatedly trying and failing enough to eventually improve?

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I get where y'all are coming from but unless there's some leaderboard somewhere this game seems forgiving enough that not having an optimal farming progression seems totally fine?

No way man. If I get even one day where my chicken doesn't produce an egg Mayor Lewis said he'd come around and break my knees.

• Options
    you improve by catching things (even trash)

you can also improve fishing by catching things out of crab pots (level 3 unlock)

• Options
    oh good, I can trash fish in my little pond until I suck less, thanks!

• Options
    It's still probably worth it to go to places where you can catch real fish. Carp are pretty much as easy to catch as trash, and will actually make you money.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Yeah Carp are pretty good practice because they are easy to catch and Carp Surprise (if you can get the recipe) sells for more than the carp do.

• Options
    Huh, I'd just kind of assumed all recipes weren't profitable after I'd sold a few. I never would've guessed that Carp Surprise could be worth making.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Fishing can also get way better if you install mods that make fishing stupid easy!

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Plus little emo coder Sebastian likes sashimi and that doesn't require any specific fish.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    I decided to go with Sebastian this file. I just have a crystarium pumping out frozen tears for him.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    That fish with the little hat will elude you forever

I actually managed to catch the little hat fishes without pulling out too much of my hair.

But that damn octopus was far more difficult.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Blackjack wrote: »
    That's so cost ineffective.

you only need it on rainy days!
    plus, as I've said, I'm really not about optimal play

it's real real easy to snowball into a fortune in this game

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    I've caught two of the legendary fish so far

I wish there was something decent to do with them

Like, my instinct was to save them, but every item shipped includes them, so I ending up selling them

One of them was worth like 10 grand

But I'd rather have like, mounted it and put it on my wall or something cool

• Options
    I'm not talking about optimal play. Just that it seems silly to be willing to buy 50 gold hay before building a silo for 100 gold.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

you can also improve fishing by catching things out of crab pots (level 3 unlock)

the crab pot specialization takes away the iron reqs for making them
    you can spam them out like nobody's business early on

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Straightzi wrote: »

Like, my instinct was to save them, but every item shipped includes them, so I ending up selling them

there was some plans about having a fishtank where you could put your best fish

not sure if it's still a thing that will happen in a future update

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Huh, I'd just kind of assumed all recipes weren't profitable after I'd sold a few. I never would've guessed that Carp Surprise could be worth making.

Surprise!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Fishing can also get way better if you install mods that make fishing stupid easy!

I'm on console

and also I appreciate the advice re: catching carp to level up but that assumes I am capable of catching anything

I am very, very bad at fishing to the point that it is entirely not fun. If it can be confirmed that I would miss out on nothing at all (outside of more and arguably better fishing) by never fishing then I wouldn't be sorry never doing it again.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Yeah, a sort of... aquarium or something where you could put the fish you catch would actually be really cool.

• Options

there was some plans about having a fishtank where you could put your best fish

not sure if it's still a thing that will happen in a future update

yeah but then you couldn't get the achievement for shipping everything

if they added an aquarium or something they'd have to make the limit on legendaries like, one at a time or something instead of 1.

• Options
    Mr. G wrote: »

I'm on console

and also I appreciate the advice re: catching carp to level up but that assumes I am capable of catching anything

I am very, very bad at fishing to the point that it is entirely not fun. If it can be confirmed that I would miss out on nothing at all (outside of more and arguably better fishing) by never fishing then I wouldn't be sorry never doing it again.

I mean, carp rarely move at all so they are some of the easiest to catch. But you can also up your fishing level by catching junk which you can do pretty readily on your farm ponds unless you picked the fishing farm which would be some kinda irony really.

You won't technically miss out on anything by never fishing, but you will be leaving something up to luck/rng.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Yeah, a sort of... aquarium or something where you could put the fish you catch would actually be really cool.

I'd really like more functional furniture.

Like, I've got my refrigerator (although I would kill for it to be bigger), but I've also got like, a dresser sitting in my bedroom. And next to that dresser is a chest where all of my clothes are stored.

And while it would be totally worthless to be able to sit down in chairs/couches, I would still inevitably do it all the time. Sometimes you just want to kick back and have a beer after a long day farming - I shouldn't have to remain on my feet to do that!

• Options
    Dubh wrote: »

the crab pot specialization takes away the iron reqs for making them
    you can spam them out like nobody's business early on

Doing that and then either of the level 10 perks from there (crab pots don't need bait/crab pots don't catch trash) can be really solid ideas. I don't usually go for crab pots myself because I find them tedious, but you can do some wild setups if you wanted.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    EmporiumEmporium Registered User regular

The every item shipped achievement doesn't include legendary fish, unless you're referring to a different achievement that I'm unaware of.

• Options
    Huh. For some reason I was convinced it did.

• Options

yeah I was just going on what you'd said.

I have all my legendary fish (all but the glacierfish) in a box in my house.

• Options
    EmporiumEmporium Registered User regular

Not much consolation, but its my understanding that you can catch Legend (the spring legendary) an unlimited number of times. Which is weird considering its the most valuable fish (and one of the most valuable items, period) in the game.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Emporium wrote: »

Not much consolation, but its my understanding that you can catch Legend (the spring legendary) an unlimited number of times. Which is weird considering its the most valuable fish (and one of the most valuable items, period) in the game.

Well that is one of the ones I sold, so good to know.

Edit: I feel like catching all of the legendary fish should be like, a quest that spawns once you have level 10 fishing. One of Willy's challenges or something.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Use one of the legendary fish for your Fall harvest display. Best kind of fish!

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    Also, Fall Harvest Display
    the dev added a scene if you put the mayor's shorts in the display. You'll be disqualified, but get 750 tokens

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Use one of the legendary fish for your Fall harvest display. Best kind of fish!

Yeah I use the Crimsonfish in my grange display.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Welcome......to Min-Max Farm.

I'm hearing this in the voice of the old guy from Jurassic Park. Followed by "We have twelve max-sized Barns filled with Pigs. Each pig has exactly one square foot outside to leave its truffle each day. The only trees allowed are Maple, and the only flower is a single Fairy Rose that all 15 Bee Houses are organized around. The only annual we grow is Ancient Fruit in the Greenhouse, and it exists only to be turned into Aged Wine."

This discussion has been closed.