As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Republican Primary - please define grand, and what kind of party?

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    Cruz just gave a statement and actually sounded reasonable for a brief moment. He called out Trump for being responsible for the violence in a very clear manner. And then he somehow managed to blame Obama too.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    politically correct has to be the favourite word of the right, even in Australia the right fucking love it as a catchall boogyman phrase

what they actual mean is being socially correct, ie behaving in accordance with accepted social standards, theres nothing political about it

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Cruz just gave a statement and actually sounded reasonable for a brief moment. He called out Trump for being responsible for the violence in a very clear manner. And then he somehow managed to blame Obama too.

It's basically like saying God Bless America at the end of a Presidential speech. It's considered obligatory.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    i know its old but that ted cruz pastor sermon is fucking terrifying. Talk about your yallqueda

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod

They can't help themselves.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    The rest of the world is kind of mystified by the Americans blaming Obama for everything, like America basically looks legally the same as its always been? save maybe gay marriage which he had little to do with really?

They go on and on about him, but to the rest of the world outside of those affected by airstrikes he just seems to be doing his job normally

• Options
    Prohass wrote: »
    The rest of the world is kind of mystified by the Americans blaming Obama for everything, like America basically looks legally the same as its always been? save maybe gay marriage which he had little to do with really?

They go on and on about him, but to the rest of the world outside of those affected by airstrikes he just seems to be doing his job normally

It's cause the rest of y'all don't understand American racism which has moved to general inacceptance of any Democrat in the White House being legitimate.

• Options
    I'm not looking forward to the next Trump rally.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    DunderDunder Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    I'm not looking forward to the next Trump rally.

Yeah they will be out for blood

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    http://www.eonline.com/shows/i_am_cait/news/747403/caitlyn-jenner-says-donald-trump-would-be-very-good-for-women-s-issues-calls-hillary-clinton-a-f-king-liar-watch
    Caitlyn Jenner is revealing what she thinks about Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton on Sunday's I Am Cait.
    The 66-year-old is on the bus with her squad when they get into a heated debate about politics.
    "What do you think of Donald Trump?" Chandi Moore asks Caitlyn in the exclusive clip above.
    "Um, I'm not a big fan because I think of his macho attitude," Caitlyn explains. "I think he would have a hard time with women when he doesn't even realize it, and it doesn't mean he wouldn't be good for women's issues, I think he would be very good for women's issues."
    "Kill me now," Jenny Boylan replies. "Someone kill me now."
    "I don't think he's out there to destroy women or takes things away or do any of that kind of stuff," Caitlyn says.
    Kate Bornstein then asks Caitlyn, "Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump?"
    "Oh my God yes I would never ever ever vote for Hillary," Caitlyn reveals. "We're done, if Hillary becomes President, the country is over."
    Caitlyn then goes on to call Hillary a "f--king liar" and a "political hack." Why?

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular

It's cause the rest of y'all don't understand American racism which has moved to general inacceptance of any Democrat in the White House being legitimate.

The Republican Party has been feeding on the concept of the Democrats not as opposition in government, but the formless "other" which is their enemy. There have been active attempts by members of the Republican Party (significantly by Ted Cruz, one of the leading candidates for the Republican nomination) to torpedo the economy just because it doing well under a Democratic President makes the Democrats look good.

Members of the Republican Party behave in a manner which implies they think of themselves as Conservatives/Republicans first, and Americans second.

• Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    http://www.eonline.com/shows/i_am_cait/news/747403/caitlyn-jenner-says-donald-trump-would-be-very-good-for-women-s-issues-calls-hillary-clinton-a-f-king-liar-watch
    Caitlyn Jenner is revealing what she thinks about Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton on Sunday's I Am Cait.
    The 66-year-old is on the bus with her squad when they get into a heated debate about politics.
    "What do you think of Donald Trump?" Chandi Moore asks Caitlyn in the exclusive clip above.
    "Um, I'm not a big fan because I think of his macho attitude," Caitlyn explains. "I think he would have a hard time with women when he doesn't even realize it, and it doesn't mean he wouldn't be good for women's issues, I think he would be very good for women's issues."
    "I don't think he's out there to destroy women or takes things away or do any of that kind of stuff," Caitlyn says.
    "Oh my God yes I would never ever ever vote for Hillary," Caitlyn reveals. "We're done, if Hillary becomes President, the country is over."
    Caitlyn then goes on to call Hillary a "f--king liar" and a "political hack." Why?

I mean, we already knew she likes Ted My Warmup Pastor Thinks All Gays Should Be Killed Cruz.

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

Man Caitlyn Jenner is just an awful person. Literally nothing I've read about her leaves me with a remotely positive impression.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    The media treating her as spokeswoman for Transgender persons is such an awful situation.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    The media treating her as spokeswoman for Transgender persons is such an awful situation.

The media have a long tradition of anointing the most horrible, disgusting, non-representative, controversial, member of any loosely-defined group as its "representative".

sig.gif
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    It's gonna be great when campaign Obama is unleashed. I love some campaign Obama, and what bounty of material to work with.

It won't be just Campaign Obama.
    It'll be Out Of Fucks To Give Campaign Obama.

Quite literally, his final form.

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    So, the whole thing in Chicago has me thinking that we are seeing the limits of Trump's appeal.

It's been pointed out that despite leading the primaries, Trump has remained steady at ~30% of the Republican base. So now I'm wondering if all the press (which, if you're not a Trump supporter, would be almost universally negative) is causing him to generate more detractors than supporters.

If he puts out another insane quote at the next rally, how likely is it that it will create 2 new anti-Trumpers for every Trumper?

I guess I'm just hoping that there are only so many people who can be taken in by racism, xenophobia, and authoritarianism.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    http://bigstory.ap.org/article/3cdda4be66f74874adaaa31ba49488e1/latest-trump-says-generals-will-play-their-own-game
    9:25 p.m.

A spokesman for the Chicago Police Department says the agency never recommended that Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump cancel his campaign rally in the city.

CPD spokesman Anthony Guglielmi tells The Associated Press that the department never told the Trump campaign there was a security threat at the University of Illinois at Chicago venue. He said the department had sufficient manpower on the scene to handle any situation.

Guglielmi says the university's police department also did not recommend that Trump call off the event. He says the decision was made "independently" by the campaign.

Trump cancelled the rally in Chicago due to what organizers said were safety concerns after protesters packed into the arena where it was to take place.

Trump afterward told MSNBC in a telephone interview that he canceled the event because he didn't "want to see people hurt or worse." He said he thinks he "did the right thing."

Guglielmi says Trump never arrived at the Chicago venue.

From the distant past of 8 months ago, Trump talking about how he would totally kick the ass of any protester or have his people do it:
    http://time.com/3993540/donald-trump-bernie-sanders-black-lives-matter/
    Republican presidential frontrunner Donald Trump said Tuesday that his Democratic rival Bernie Sanders “showed such weakness” when he allowed two Black Lives Matter activists to seize his microphone and disrupt his speech over the weekend.

“I thought that was disgusting. That showed such weakness, the way he was taken away by two young women,” Trump said during a press conference in Michigan. “That will never happen with me. I don’t know if I’ll do the fighting myself, or if other people will, but that was a disgrace.”

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    She's transgender?!

Doesn't she realize they'd just as soon see her dead as see her in passing?!

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »
    She's transgender?!

Man I don't want to sound rude but how the hell did you hear about Caitlyn Jenner without knowing she's transgender?

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    She's transgender?!

She also realizes they will keep taxes low, and she is a wealthy woman.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Breitbart spokesman Kurt Bardella is no longer working with the company in the wake of controversy over Donald Trump’s campaign manager allegedly roughly handling one of the site’s reporters.

Bardella told BuzzFeed News on Friday that he had informed Breitbart of his decision to drop them as a client earlier this afternoon.

“When you can’t give an organization 100% of your ability, the best thing to do is move on just for yourself and for them,” Bardella, a former spokesman for Darrell Issa, said.

Asked if it would be fair to say he was parting ways with Breitbart because he disagrees with its handling of the situation with Michelle Fields, Bardella said “It would be fair for you to say that” but that he wasn’t going to.

“What I personally feel is one thing, but as someone who’s supposed to represent them at the public-facing side of this, I was at the point where I couldn’t give 100% of myself and best thing to do was to let them know that,” Bardella said.

Breitbart posted a story on Friday that called into question whether Trump campaign manager Corey Lewandowski did yank Fields at a press conference in Florida on Tuesday, appearing to side with the Trump campaign over their own reporter.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    She's transgender?!

Man I don't want to sound rude but how the hell did you hear about Caitlyn Jenner without knowing she's transgender?

I basically get my news from the penny arcade political threads and any additional threads like if there is an earthquake or something.

I very rarely (as seen here) pay attention to pop culture news

• Options
    I love how she says "the country would be over"

...how?

I mean if anything hillarys biggest drawback is she would be centrist business per usual

What fucking planet do conservatives live on?

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited March 2016

...how?

I mean if anything hillarys biggest drawback is she would be centrist business per usual

The one where it makes sense to appoint themselves Ted Cruz's Transgender Adviser.

Though really, a brick with "kill them" painted on it could be Ted Cruz's transgender adviser.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular

...how?

The same planet where they believe Obama is turning America into a 3rd world country.

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »

It occurs to me this could be an opening for the other Pub candidates to go after his base.

"Look how weak he is! He ran from a bunch of college students!"

Played the right way, and that could pop Trump's strongman image like a balloon.

• Options
    But the more troubling pattern came when the so-called "establishment" endorsements started to flow in. New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, who appeared to be blinking a cry for help in Morse code during Trump's Super Tuesday victory speech, was the first and most craven of the Trump-converts from the GOP mainstream. Christie brought with him one of his own former supporters, Maine's Paul LePage, making it two sitting governors now in Trump's tent.

Then there was Alabama Sen. Jeff Sessions, a major Iraq War supporter who apparently doesn't mind sharing a stage with that war's most ardent GOP critic. Even Trump joked at the Sessions announcement, "I hate to say it, but I'm becoming mainstream."

NASCAR CEO Brian France, who is not the most loathsome sports official alive only because God keeps forgetting to hit Roger Goodell with lightning, was another relatively important "mainstream" endorsement. Criticized for his announcement, France claimed he didn't know what Trump stood for. "I don't even know all [his] policies, truthfully," he said.

The significance of all of these endorsements can't be understated. The way you build a truly vicious nationalist movement is to wed a relatively small core of belligerent idiots to a much larger group of opportunists and spineless fellow travelers whose primary function is to turn a blind eye to things. We may not have that many outright Nazis in America, but we have plenty of cowards and bootlickers, and once those fleshy dominoes start tumbling into the Trump camp, the game is up.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/why-trumps-endorsements-should-scare-your-pants-off-20160311

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    By my understanding, not even the rough parts of Chicago. The parts with a bunch of liberal college kids. :P

• Options
    The fact that trump is like a perfect cliche bully, thin-skinned, cowardly, obsessed with his hand size, it's the only silver lining

He isn't some tough Russian style oligarch, he's a big whiny baby that the world has laughed at for decades

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    The fact that trump is like a perfect cliche bully, thin-skinned, cowardly, obsessed with his hand size, it's the only silver lining

He isn't some tough Russian style oligarch, he's a big whiny baby that the world has laughed at for decades

It's hilarious but it's one of the reasons I fear him most should he win. That kind of insecurity is dangerous. A more secure bully doesn't feel the need to lash out as quickly.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Ok I got a chuckle out of this

Get 'em up against THE WALL (that mexico will pay for)

I watched that movie so many times as an edgy teenager.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

Looks like, regardless of outcome, Obama will not be a passive observer come October/November.

god I love Obama sometimes

other times not so much but right now yes

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

yeah, it seems like the only criticisms of her have to do with her status as a trans person and not with the fact that she's a fucking asshole

it's a real pisser all around

• Options
    edited March 2016

...how?

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2016/03/11/3758625/caitlyn-jenner-anti-hero/
    he entire second half of the hour-long episode, it’s Boylan who’s back on the offensive. She shares the news that Houston’s Equal Rights Ordinance (HERO) had been defeated by voters because of the fear that the gender identity protections would somehow protect “men” who wish to violate women’s spaces. When Jenner attempts to flatly deny Boylan’s point that Republicans and conservatives are responsible for spreading these harmful rumors about transgender women, her squad forcefully pushes back.

“I don’t know anything of what they said down there,” Jenner insists, “but I’m not blaming it on Republicans and conservatives, okay?”

Bornstein jumps in and points out that Republican officials were directly involved in promoting the anti-HERO messages. “Now, he may have been a Republican. I don’t know, it might have been a Democrat,” Jenner counters, before being shouted down by a chorus of “No!”. But she persists, “It just so happens he happened to be a Republican. I wish he was a damned Democrat. It would have made my argument much easier.”

As Jenner keeps denying that Republicans have anything against transgender people, lauding their economic positions, the bus full of women all gang up on Jenner to call out her faulty perspectives. Their slack-jawed looks of shock and horror in the face of Jenner’s denials communicate to the audience just how misguided — if not delusional — she is in her blind allegiance to conservatives.

It would make her argument that Republicans are good for transgender folk and Democrats bad for the community if Republicans would actually stop being horrible to transgender folk.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    Lanz wrote: »

It occurs to me this could be an opening for the other Pub candidates to go after his base.

"Look how weak he is! He ran from a bunch of college students!"

Played the right way, and that could pop Trump's strongman image like a balloon.

People say this with everything. "We've got him now." It never works.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    I don't want to know anything about the Kardashian-Jenner clan. The media frequently attempts to force me to ingest knowledge about them, but I remain only tertiarily aware of their antics. Their opinions are even more meaningless to me than their desperate attention-seeking ploys.

They literally occupy the same space in my mind as the cast of Jersey Shore, with all the accompanying merit that indicates.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Ok I got a chuckle out of this

Get 'em up against THE WALL (that mexico will pay for)

I watched that movie so many times as an edgy teenager.

eugh a youtube comment:

"Reminds me of social justice warriors and thought police from 1984"

yeah i remember those times social justice warriors wore facist uniforms and raped women, and demanded people be put up against the wall and shot, oh wait

the cognitive dissonance

Yea Bowie, Pink Floyd and George Orwell were totally against those lefties and social justice warriors

Prohass on
  • Options
    I don't want to know anything about the Kardashian-Jenner clan. The media frequently attempts to force me to ingest knowledge about them, but I remain only tertiarily aware of their antics. Their opinions are even more meaningless to me than their desperate attention-seeking ploys.

They literally occupy the same space in my mind as the cast of Jersey Shore, with all the accompanying merit that indicates.

Jenner seems damn commited to the idea of being a leading figure in the community, and we're at a cultural junction point of sorts, so this is going to probably continue to be a thing.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
This discussion has been closed.