As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sony & Microsoft had a mid-cycle crisis: The Aftermath

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    GlyphGryph wrote: »
    jclast wrote: »
    By default my brain tunes one eye out and I see in two dimensions. Typically the right eye is dominant but occasionally the left will be, but it's uncommon for me.

I read your description of your stereo-vision problems you've experienced a few pages back. That sucks. I know people who have had what sounds like the exact same problem.

But there's something I think you might be interested in knowing: They can see in 3d in VR.

I don't know how it makes sense. They were fucking blown away by it, though. One of them was literally reduced to tears. After like 10 minutes or so in VR, something seems to just click in their head and they could see 3d again.

It didn't happen to anyone I know, but I've also heard stories of people who have your problem using lots of VR and the effect actually persisting after the VR experience. It's like the exact mechanics of it somehow breaks the brain feedback loop that turns off one of the eyes.

If you haven't actually tried VR yet, I would strongly encourage you to do so. Find someone nearby who has a kit and will let you spend an hour or two in VR. I can't promise it will help you, in particular, but I know people it has helped and I feel like if the possibility is there for you it is at least worth trying.

Apparently you're still a little ways back in the thread. I got a chance to try PSVR at a Best Buy and it worked for me. I saw in 3D and it was amazing. Now I just need to round up a bunch of money, wait for PSVR to come out, and then start picking up games that look interesting.

I was stereoblind again as soon as the headset came off, but for the 10 minutes I played Valkyrie (I think that's the space combat game in the demo) I didn't have to guess how far away things were, and it was super cool. I am also very curious if continued use might get my brain to get off its lazy ass and pay attention to both eyes full time.

EDIT: Whoops! I thought I was in the VR thread. Regardless, I've done a 180 on the whole concept of VR. I still don't think it's the be-all end-all or should replace traditional gaming, but I'm very excited that I can participate (if I can ever rationalize the cost).

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    GlyphGryphGlyphGryph Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Yeah, I was still a few pages behind, been a while since I looked at this! Then I remembered someone posting in the VR thread about this a bit of a ways back and I went and checked and it was you! So I already edited my post by the time you wrote this :) Super glad it worked out for you.

GlyphGryph on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Ah, the technobabble part of console wars.

Remember when Blu-ray was supposed to give the PS3 a mighty edge the Xbox 360 could never touch?

Or how the power of my butt the cloud was supposed to bring the Xbox One glorious new types of gameplay we could never have imagined before?

Or the general (system X) generates two-tenths more frames per second than (system Y), and that will sway the general population?

Yeah. Barring a major surprise, these new systems will pretty much boil down to "they do 4K" and be considered pretty much equivalent in most people's minds, with other factors (price, exclusives, advertising, aesthetics, prior reputation, etc.) being the main things that sway people to one or another.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    I mean I agree with you, but I also believe that one of the reasons the PS4 is doing better then the Xbone is that it is a more powerful machine for the same amount of money. Lots of people have nerds in the family (like me) telling them to buy the system with the better specs.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I dunno if power completely explains it. I think there's still remnants of the narrative from *that* E3 still lingering.

Like, in Canada, generally speaking the PS4 is still more expensive than a One. And I know a lot of people, me included, who still went for it rather than an Xbone.

Anecdotal and all that, but once you've got people willingly buying the more expensive option, it's not just about power and price at that point.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Ah, the technobabble part of console wars.

Remember when Blu-ray was supposed to give the PS3 a mighty edge the Xbox 360 could never touch?

Or how the power of my butt the cloud was supposed to bring the Xbox One glorious new types of gameplay we could never have imagined before?

Or the general (system X) generates two-tenths more frames per second than (system Y), and that will sway the general population?

Yeah. Barring a major surprise, these new systems will pretty much boil down to "they do 4K" and be considered pretty much equivalent in most people's minds, with other factors (price, exclusives, advertising, aesthetics, prior reputation, etc.) being the main things that sway people to one or another.

Well for most gimmicks there just aren't enough applications that make use for them to stick. The Kinect got some neato puzzle game a few days ago that plays super cool, and people are still waiting on more stuff about that bonkers Crackdown 3 destruction simulation for multiplayer games.

Most are incredibly cool ideas with insufficient push and implementation to make them last.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    I mean I agree with you, but I also believe that one of the reasons the PS4 is doing better then the Xbone is that it is a more powerful machine for the same amount of money. Lots of people have nerds in the family (like me) telling them to buy the system with the better specs.

I also convinced my lifelong Xbox friend to buy a PS4 with a pretty simple "it's cheaper, it's more powerful; do you really care about Kinect?" I have neither console, but it would have been a pretty obvious decision of which to get.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    "Winning" the console war is all about the perception of popularity. Many people only buy one console and they want the one that they think is the most popular, since that leads to more/better exclusives, the best version of cross-console ports, bigger friends list, etc. Then that console becomes the most popular in truth and the lead continues to grow unless their competitor does something really amazing. The PS4 started all this with some exceptional PR work leading up to release that stole MS' lunch following their various minor scandals, and once the idea was planted in people's minds that the PS4 was the best console this generation, nothing ever really happened in MS' favor to significantly change that.

Zek on
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    It's the same thing, but cheaper. That's all it takes.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Also, and it may just be me, but it appears we have entered an era of PlayStation nostalgia. They are enjoying reviving classic franchises like Ratchet & Clank and Crash Bandicoot, have huge games like God of War 4 and Last Guardian in the pipeline. The sold that grey retro PS4 and have Kojima on board... it feels like they are really trying to capture those 20-somethings that grew up with PS1/PS2.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Also, and it may just be me, but it appears we have entered an era of PlayStation nostalgia. They are enjoying reviving classic franchises like Ratchet & Clank and Crash Bandicoot, have huge games like God of War 4 and Last Guardian in the pipeline. The sold that grey retro PS4 and have Kojima on board... it feels like they are really trying to capture those 20-somethings that grew up with PS1/PS2.

They made a really, really good launch trailer for the PS4 aimed squarely at this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZkMdi3XBhw

and it hit so hard for me as I am right in that generation of getting a ps1 when I was 12 or so. I'm out of the console game, but they sold me a PS4 if I go back, pretty much on this ad at the time and it's only got a stronger position since.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    As I've said in the past, I certainly think nostalgia (and the proper business savvy to capitalize on it) is a way stronger motivator than the ability to push out slightly more pixels. I doubt Sony is concerned about apparent processing power gap between their intermediate console and the other intermediate console. This isn't like the WiiU versus the 2013 consoles, it's more like the Playstation 2 versus the original Xbox (which PS2 thoroughly came out ahead--Xbox only managed to beat the Gamecube).

• Options

Man if they sold a retro grey Neo it would be so much more attractive to me and all the other people that are miffed that they missed the anniversary edition.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular

I'm still hoping above all hope that Sucker Punch threw up a smokescreen about their motion capture and wanting to wow people with their next game...

And it turns out they were waiting for Sony to pull the trigger on a Sly Cooper reboot after the success of R&C. Sony can just outright tell SP and ND 'Reboot Sly and Jak now, the nostalgia cycle must be complete' if they want, they own them.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I could see Xbox getting to that spot in just a few years

The 360 which, let's face it, is gonna be the Xbox console that people have real genuine nostalgia for, is currently 11 years old

Very easily could have been the first console for a lot of teens/young adults out there, but that's not quite the audience with the big purchasing power

Hell, the new Xbox One model strikes me as being very nostalgic of the original model 360 (though to be fair that white 360 also has a lot of negative association with it, seeing as they died many deaths)

• Options
    Most of my oXbox nostalgia is Halo related. Wish they hadn't botched the Master Chief Collection

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I could see Xbox getting to that spot in just a few years

The 360 which, let's face it, is gonna be the Xbox console that people have real genuine nostalgia for, is currently 11 years old

Very easily could have been the first console for a lot of teens/young adults out there, but that's not quite the audience with the big purchasing power

Hell, the new Xbox One model strikes me as being very nostalgic of the original model 360 (though to be fair that white 360 also has a lot of negative association with it, seeing as they died many deaths)

The problem is, what are they going to tap into for that nostalgia? We live in an era were popular things don't go away anymore. They already pop out Halo, Gears and Forza games constantly. Dead Rising is still around. Banjo and Viva Pinata were cult classics, but there's a reason Rare got shoved onto Avatar development in their wake. Call of Duty isn't even exclusive and is also still around every. damn. year.

I don't think you can put the entire thrust of a nostalgic movement on Shadow Complex 2.

What is 360 nostalgia at this point?

• Options
    They should bring back that Buffy the Vampire Slayer game from the original Xbox.

That and Voodoo Vince.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    They should bring back that Buffy the Vampire Slayer game from the original Xbox.

I like the cut of your jib, that game fucking ruled

I suppose you're right, Scottsman

Hell, even Dead Rising, a series that I always saw as "Xbox" despite 2 being on PlayStation, is putting DR4 on PS4 next year and a port of Dead Rising 1 really soon (Trophy list just leaked). Most of my early days nostalgia around 360 totally revolves around experiences, like the blades (which I really wish would come back), early XBLA titles, and the revelation of HD gaming

• Options

I like the cut of your jib, that game fucking ruled

I suppose you're right, Scottsman

Hell, even Dead Rising, a series that I always saw as "Xbox" despite 2 being on PlayStation, is putting DR4 on PS4 next year and a port of Dead Rising 1 really soon (Trophy list just leaked). Most of my early days nostalgia around 360 totally revolves around experiences, like the blades (which I really wish would come back), early XBLA titles, and the revelation of HD gaming

Port?

Dammit, I was hoping for back compat.

I don't want to sped another 10 hours to get that damn laser sword.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Yeah, I have no idea what the heck you would even try to leverage as "nostalgic" about the Xbox. It's no secret that they have next to nothing in terms of "mascots" or other similar brand centric games. There's what... Halo and maybe Gears of Wars? And those aren't the colossuses they used to be if recent entries are anything to go by.

I mean, I don't know. Maybe there are people who were 8 years old with an Xbox and look at it with the same nostalgia I do with an NES? I've never met them and my gut reaction is to say they don't exist, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong. Honestly, I think the Xbox is going to have all the nostalgia as a VCR/DVD player.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Probably leverage XBLA titles and some of the smaller exclusives like Phantom Dust and Conker

• Options
    I'm super curious about blinx the time sweeper. Was that game any good?

• Options
    I'm super curious about blinx the time sweeper. Was that game any good?

In a word..

No

• Options
    Does Microsoft own Jade Empire?

Despite the bitching I dug that one.

• Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular

That and Voodoo Vince.

A new, hyper-stylized Voodoo Vince might actually be pretty popular today. Give it to a small team at MS or farm it out to an indie dev and make it look like the "Friends On The Other Side" scene from Princess and the Frog.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    What is 360 nostalgia at this point?

Here's the ones I can think of that in my mind are "Xbox" even if they came out on other systems, and yeah the boats already sailed for cashing in on most of these: Halo, Crackdown, Dead Rising, Bioshock, Rock Band, Mass Effect, Fable. KOTOR...

GlyphGryph on
  • Options
    Gears, Halo, Alan Wake, Crackdown, Fable, Forza

Some have shown up on PC, but those are all big name 360 exclusives.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Is there a strong presence of Gamecube nostalgia? Besides someone going, "Hey, remember Rogue Leader?" and the like?

It seems like Nintendo is the Nostalgia King, but those properties all proceeded 2001. There are PS2 games I still like--it's the primary reason I have a working PS3--but I don't think I have a nostalgia for them anymore than I have a nostalgia for Knights of the Old Republic or Otogi or Ninja Gaiden. Ace Combat 5 is awesome, but I don't think I'm necessarily nostalgic for it.

If you're around thirty, I have to imagine your video game nostalgia--separate from simply old titles you like--goes back comfortably before the Xbox existed. I have an enormous amount of nostalgia for Super Mario World, but every time I try a new Nintendo platformer, including one that features Mario himself, I have trouble committing to seeing it through.

• Options
    I... think so? Gamecube had some amazing original IP. It is certainly the system I most often get nostalgic for.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

If you're around thirty, I have to imagine your video game nostalgia--separate from simply old titles you like--goes back comfortably before the Xbox existed. I have an enormous amount of nostalgia for Super Mario World, but every time I try a new Nintendo platformer, including one that features Mario himself, I have trouble committing to seeing it through.

Have you played Mario 3D World? I couldn't stop playing that one because it was so good.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    I feel like nearly everybody has classic Nintendo (and Sega to a lesser extent) nostalgia. But more modern Nintendo doesn't really have it because, for some reason or another, the games feel less like classics and more like the iteration you're playing now.

Don't get me wrong - Wind Waker was amazing. I love that I own a pair of congas for Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat. And I played a ton of Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour with my dad. But now, if I had kept buying Nintendo consoles, I can play the current 3D Zelda, I can play the current Mario Sports. I don't know if Jungle Beat has an analog on the WiiU, but that one isn't enough for me to hook up the GameCube all that often. Every Nintendo you pick up there's a Mario Kart, a Mario platformer, a 3D Zelda, etc. It's hard to be nostalgic for what they keep giving you when it's not also the thing you grew up with.

I miss and replay SMB3 and LoZ because I remember playing them when I was little with my brother and they came to me at a time when video games were new and exciting. When I was a teenager with a GameCube (and now) video games are cool (and way better than they were), but I'm not making formative memories anymore.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular

uhhh

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Lilnoobs wrote: »

uhhh

what's the problem?

No I don't.
  • Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »

Have you played Mario 3D World? I couldn't stop playing that one because it was so good.

No because I didn't own a WiiU (like most people) but I've seen others play it--and here's the thing: Super Mario 3D World came out in 2013, unless you mean some other title.

I can't stop playing Forza 6. I'd say it's the best competition racing game, full-stop. But I'm not nostalgic about it, I just really, really like it.

• Options

uhhh

what's the problem?

Great idea but clunky mechanics and utterly terrible writing?

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

uhhh

what's the problem?

Great idea but clunky mechanics and utterly terrible writing?

So sonic?

No I don't.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Speaking of nostalgia how awesome would it be to have full PS1 and PS2 backwards compatibility on the PS4. Like put a disc in and it just plays, with the awesome virtual memory card implementation they did on the PS3. It's technical possible for Sony to pull this off, sadly I don't think they ever will. I used to have a second-gen P3 with PS1 and PS2 compatibility but sadly it died years ago.

Would be nice exclusive feature if they were trying to push the Neo. Hell, maybe with the increased power of the Neo they could local PS3 emulation working.

It would be amazing to have a PS4 that could play 4 console generations worth of games.

Uselesswarrior on
  • Options
    Alan Wake is great and I will hear no shade thrown on it

GameCube nostalgia definitely exists, if only for Melee... and maybe the first Animal Crossing

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Some GameCube nostalgia is from the fact it was the last time Nintendo had a console on the same level as the rest. If the NX ends up being as powerful as the Xbone/PS4 and Microsoft/Sony make it a point to support those consoles well after Scorpio/Neo coming out, then Nintendo might end up benefiting.