As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This Thread Will Go Down in [History]

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    tynic wrote: »
    There is more than one archaic treaty that lumps Indian tribes in with "fauna"

I thought Australia had something similar, but apparently that's a myth (... honestly a little surprised that we weren't aiming for the racism gold crown on that one).
    No matter, we didn't count indigenous people in the census until the late 60s, so still trying hard.

Slightly weirdly, while full suffrage was achieved in the 40s on the back of WWII, voting was non-compulsory for indigenous people until the 80s (as opposed to the 1920s for everyone else). There's some logistical reasons why that may have seemed reasonable on the surface, but I'm gonna guess that the overall sentiment was more along the lines of "well who cares".

Indigenous suffrage is still kind of a sore spot for a not-insignificant number of Indians. Because being made a U.S. citizen is seen by some as a non-consensual act. Like, they are already citizens of one nation (their tribe) and being told that they are citizens of another nation as well, without their input or consent, rankles.

Particularly when they're told, "Well, the people you voted into office have said that your reservation is reduced by x amount"

"I didn't fucking vote for them"

"Well, the people of your state did, and majority rules."

"We didn't ask to be members of this state."

It's a really messy situation, in which I am deeply sympathetic to basically every position. Voting is better than not voting, but you're also voting in a system that you didn't ask to be a part of.

Sure would be nice if sovereignty was fuckin' sovereignty, I guess.

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    i once had to whip two or three litres of cream by hand for some big bloody food serving thing

I had a few people helping me and we just took turns over the course of like 20 minutes or something. Worked pretty well.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Sometimes SE can really give you tonal whiplash.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Sometimes SE can really give you tonal whiplash.

Lafayette couldn’t stop them from breaking into the Château de Versailles and murdering a couple of guards whose heads they jabbed onto pikes, but he did save the lives of the king and queen, for the moment, by trotting Marie Antoinette out onto a balcony and kissing her hand, thereby pacifying the mob into letting the royal family come back to Paris with them in a carriage instead of in a hearse. Eventually the revolution’s radicals turned on Lafayette, who had to flee France to avoid the king and queen’s fate on the “National Razor,” the guillotine. (excerpt)

—Sarah Vowell in "Lafayette in the Somewhat United State"

National Razor Day of Note: Marie Antoinette Queen of France was executed in Paris on this date (10/16) in 1793.

La_Fayette_and_Marie_Antoinette_6th_october_1789.jpg

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Point of order: The King and Queen were still alive when Lafayette had legged it: They had however been overthrown, which is perhaps signal enough that you had better hoof it.

• Options
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    jesus was it really in 2007

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    This brings up an important point that has occurred to me before

Eventually, in the not so distant future, there will be serious academic journals and internet specific histories that will include dumb memes in some of their arguments

It's going to be amazing

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular

Eventually, in the not so distant future, there will be serious academic journals and internet specific histories that will include dumb memes in some of their arguments

It's going to be amazing

Scientists and scholars have always been fond of references

I'm pretty sure some only seem more classy to us because of their historical distance

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    People were taught they were supposed to revere the Greeks and Romans and their myths were considered classics and perfect and beautiful and inspirational and such.

Have you ever read their myths for yourself? They are some weird shit. You know Helen, the most beautiful woman in the world? She hatched from an egg, because Zeus took the form of a swan to seduce and sex up her mom. Yeah.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Yeah, why would a beautiful perfect swan want to seduce a human? That shit's weird

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    one million years in the future, one million years ago i made this post.

• Options
    DimosarDimosar I am the Brain Genius Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    At the beginning of the war, Germany’s leading nuclear physicists were called to the army
    weapons department. There, as part of the “uranium project” under the direction of Werner
    Heisenberg, they were charged with determining the extent to which nuclear fission could aid
    in the war effort. (Nuclear fission had been discovered by Otto Hahn and Lise Meitner in
    1938.) Unlike their American colleagues in the Manhattan Project, German physicists did not
    succeed in building their own nuclear weapon. In June 1942, the researchers informed
    Albert Speer that they were in no position to build an atomic bomb with the resources at
    hand in less than 3-5 years, at which point the project was scrapped.

After the end of the war, both the Western Allies and the Soviet Union tried to recruit the
    German scientists for their own purposes. From July 3, 1945, to January 3, 1946, the Allies
    incarcerated ten German nuclear physicists at the English country estate of Farm Hall, their
    goal being to obtain information about the German nuclear research project by way of
    surreptitiously taped conversations. The following transcript includes the scientists’ reactions
    to reports that America had dropped an atomic bomb on Hiroshima. The scientists also
    discuss their relationship to the Nazi regime and offer some prognoses for Germany’s future.
    As the transcript shows, Otto Hahn was especially shaken by the dropping of the bomb;
    later, he campaigned against the misuse of nuclear energy for military purposes.
    http://germanhistorydocs.ghi-dc.org/pdf/eng/English101.pdf

yo there are some seriously choice cuts in this transcript:
    6. A little later, HAHN went up to comfort GERLACH when the following conversation
    ensued:–

HAHN: Are you upset because we did not make the uranium bomb? I thank God on my
    bended knees that we did not make a uranium bomb. Or are you depressed because the
    Americans could do it better than we could?

GERLACH: Yes.

by all accounts Gerlach was a raging Nazi and Hahn, moral compass intact, despised hitler and wanted Germany to lose really bad. So this exchange is pretty amazing

Dimosar on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

I still don't fully understand why this is funny, but I also hadn't heard of it until like...two years ago, maybe?

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

I still don't fully understand why this is funny, but I also hadn't heard of it until like...two years ago, maybe?

If I had to completely dissect it, I'd say

a) The idea of a pizza with literally nothing on it but beef (not even something "normal" like pepperoni) is funny

b) The fact that a site would give you the option to order such a useless pizza is also funny

and c) Their one job was to put beef on one half of the pizza and they managed to fuck even that up

On top of that, apparently there was already a "meme" of posting funny/weird custom-order pizzas, and this was the culmination of that whole thing.

Comedy!

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Also the phrase "none pizza with left beef" is just the right side of complete gibberish to be hilarious.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    My reenactment group took part in the 950th anniversary of the battle of Hastings at the weekend. Unfortunately I couldn't go. Hopefully I'm still fit enough in 50 years to make the 1000th anniversary!

edwebbpe4gg4.jpg

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I am re-reading it and laughing so hard I'm crying

These Ikea dudes think I got poo brain

None pizza with left beef

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    I am re-reading it and laughing so hard I'm crying

These Ikea dudes think I got poo brain

None pizza with left beef

I had an absolute fit over it

I couldn't breathe, and I was weeping

The ladyfriend was absolutely baffled by how hard it hit me

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    That picture of the reenactors is so cool. But...
    k2unzs08q1fg.jpg

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    So Bob Hoover, one of those early-jet-age test pilots to whom physics was, at best, a polite suggestion, passed away yesterday at 94 (which is probably like three times the life expectancy for people in his line of work). There's a video of one of his routines at the link, where he throws a business plane around like it's a fighter, occasionally turning it into a deadsticked glider which he also throws around like it's a fighter.

The article references an iced tea stunt that isn't shown there, but the interwebz sees all.

I think my favorite bit there was the story of his escaping captivity during the Second World War but just up and stealing a German fighter. After the whole "getting the thing and getting off the ground in an unfamiliar plane whose controls are in another language" bit, he only then realized "wait a minute, it's early 1945 and I'm flying towards Allied lines in an enemy aircraft. This may get awkward.."

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Pilot buddies have told me most commercial aircraft can perform a lot better than they're asked to do. The example I recall was that your standard business commuter jet is a lot like a formula one car, and it's driven like a bus.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular

It's going to be amazing

Scientists and scholars have always been fond of references

I'm pretty sure some only seem more classy to us because of their historical distance

Harambe will be in textbooks

• Options
    OgotaiOgotai Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    Pilot buddies have told me most commercial aircraft can perform a lot better than they're asked to do. The example I recall was that your standard business commuter jet is a lot like a formula one car, and it's driven like a bus.

There's video of a guy rolling a 707 during its flight testing, as long as the structure is strong enough for the forces involved your only other limit is probably speed, and some of those little business jets have big engines for their size. I've seen a B-1B do a roll immediately after take off with gear still down though that is a very different type of plane, still weird seeing something that big move like that.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Ogotai wrote: »

There's video of a guy rolling a 707 during its flight testing, as long as the structure is strong enough for the forces involved your only other limit is probably speed, and some of those little business jets have big engines for their size. I've seen a B-1B do a roll immediately after take off with gear still down though that is a very different type of plane, still weird seeing something that big move like that.

Wow. I'm impressed that a passenger jet can hold up to a full roll to be honest. I suppose that's not a gargantuan one though. The B-1 is less surprising, rolling should be standard on anything expecting to see combat (I would be extremely surprised if a C-5 could roll)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Wow. I'm impressed that a passenger jet can hold up to a full roll to be honest. I suppose that's not a gargantuan one though. The B-1 is less surprising, rolling should be standard on anything expecting to see combat (I would be extremely surprised if a C-5 could roll)

An empty passenger jet is capable of surprising things! I would be absolutely dismayed if an empty C-5 with minimum fuel couldn't do a barrel roll. I suspect you might be able to coax a loop out of one, even.

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

An empty passenger jet is capable of surprising things! I would be absolutely dismayed if an empty C-5 with minimum fuel couldn't do a barrel roll. I suspect you might be able to coax a loop out of one, even.

Well, another buddy told me a story about his uncle in USAF who was flying a transport plane (don't recall what kind, it's been a while since I heard the story) into an airbase in Germany, and was caught in severe wind going over mountains. He couldn't fight the wind, so he rolled it, got the plane down, and took a drive back to his originating airbase. The plane was disassembled and transported out on a train.

• Options
    I know a lot of people who have done a lot more interesting things than I have.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I know a lot of people who have done a lot more interesting things than I have.

I mean, shit, just look at Smofs posts in the Jobs thread...

• Options
    intropintrop Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Fun aerobatics fact: barrel rolls are the lowest-stress stunt maneuver! Basically any airframe that can survive 2g can survive a barrel roll, so nearly any plane (well, assuming you have enough speed and/or thrust). It's a neat quirk of the maneuver but also the sure-fire sign that you're doing it right.

introp on
    Steam ID: highentropy
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Dry Niagara - American Dry Falls - In June 1969, to prevent erosion and clear debris U.S. engineers diverted the flow of the Niagara River away from the American side of the falls for several months.

tumblr_oftodsmJ5e1s7e5k5o1_540.jpg

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Seemed a dick move to post this in the Thanksgiving thread, but here's a Thanksgiving tradition you might not have heard of:

The Annual Sand Creek Massacre Spiritual Healing Run

The Sand Creek Massacre is the only such killing of indigenous people to be officially recognized by the US government as a massacre, in large part thanks to the men mentioned in that article. I have Some Beefs with that article (the reverent tone for dudes who killed a whole bunch of Indians but then eventually drew a line in the sand strikes me as, at best, Weird), but it's a decent intro to the event. And more than that, a great example of indigenous people remembering a terrible thing, honoring it, and turning it into something positive. Of keeping a connection with the past, an active and participatory one, but building something beautiful and good with even the most terrible event.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    One of the only good things about walking up before God in the mornings is that I usually catch BBC Witness on the radio on my drive to work.
    They have recently been highlighting women in history. http://bbc.in/17X4PyE It's a fun show to listen to.. it highlights ' this day in history' told from mostly first person accounts.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    If you ever dig into ancient eastern mediterranean civilizations, you're going to run into a specific confederacy very early into the history of empires. The confederacy has no name that has been written down, which is to say that there is no one name that was written down. In general they're known by one name in history; The Sea People.

What land they came from is unknown because they're depicted as a group of different peoples. Sherdan, Lukka, Karkisha, Eqwesh, Teresh, Denyen, Peleset, Tjekker, Shekelesh, Teresh, Weshesh, are all listed by the Egyptians as tribes of the Sea People confederacy, but aside from their names not much is known about them or their cultures.

From 1276 to 1178 BCE they absolutely terrorized every major nation along the eastern mediterranean coast.
    • When Ramesses II invaded the Hittites, the Sea People were there fighting for both sides as allies and mercenaries. With the Sea People even helping the Pharaoh devise his naval tactics.
    • Later Ramesses II defeated a force of Sea Peoples and made some of them into his bodyguards.
    • The Hittite Empire was crushed after a major defeat by the Sea Peoples took away their major trading cities and left them vulnerable to land invasions.
    • Egyptian Pharaohs Merenptah and Ramesses III would both encounter major incursions by the Sea People, including depictions of whole families and groups among the Sea People warriors and ships.
    • Ugarit, between the borders of the Assyrian and Hittite Empires (near where modern Syria meets the mediterranean) noted that the Sea People were capturing their villages shortly before they and the city of Alasiya were destroyed by invaders from the sea.

When they're described in the oldest remaining records they're not explained, there's no relationship between the names and some land of origin. They're written as if you're supposed to just know who that is. For at least 98 years they raided and invaded, never really seeming to settle land they capture for themselves and seeming to be made of whole family groups. Then they just kind of disappear from the narrative of history as suddenly as they appear.

• Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    Cool, I just recently read a pretty decent article on them: http://www.ancient.eu/Sea_Peoples/

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    That article is bullshit. I'm fairly certain that my set of Time-Life books clearly identified the Sea People as disgruntled Atlanteans.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    I was thinking Hollow Earth inhabitants :D

This discussion has been closed.