As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mirror mirror on the wall... Who's got the biggest quads of them all [Weightlifting]

• Options
    MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular
    My schedule at work has changed, and I no longer take lunches, just can eat small amounts, or when I can. So what would be a good lunch/snack/meal to eat part way through work to get me charged up for a post-work workout, preferrebly something filling but not too damn heavy. I was reading up on somethings online and was thinking of something revolving around cottage cheese/greek yogurt? Is that good? Anybody with more experience with this be able to advice things to eat with it? I have not really had cottage cheese or greek yogurt (or yogurt in general) that often, but I know I like regular yogurt. I used to eat some filmjolk stuff (drinkable yogurt) mixed with some bought granola. Problem was, the yogurt was kinda high in sugar (Siggi's brand fyi) and the store near that used to carry, no longer does.

How long between this meal and the gym, what are your goals, and what are you doing in the gym?

• Options
    RightfulSinRightfulSin Registered User regular
    How long between the meal and the gym is a couple of hours, no more than 3-4. What I am doing is still following this (https://www.jackedfactory.com/starting-strength/) and basically my goal is to keep of chugging to get stronger. I am not seeking to compete or to become some crazy mass of raw muscle (as in the spoiler on the previous page). I am looking for something easy, quick, and not too expensive(ideally). I do like the pb&j idea as well, I love baking my own bread, any ideas of how to cram more into it? By that I mean, would other nut butters be better. I know obviously look for the jam/jelly that is not loaded with sugar and other crap. Thanks again.

"If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
  • Options
    duraxdurax Who watches the watchdogs? Registered User regular
    Sunflower and Cashew have the worst protein to fat ratio, but if your bulking I wouldn't be concerned. If you are cutting then you want to pay attention to the portion size (with all your food, really).

• Options
    edited September 2016
    How long between the meal and the gym is a couple of hours, no more than 3-4. What I am doing is still following this (https://www.jackedfactory.com/starting-strength/) and basically my goal is to keep of chugging to get stronger. I am not seeking to compete or to become some crazy mass of raw muscle (as in the spoiler on the previous page). I am looking for something easy, quick, and not too expensive(ideally). I do like the pb&j idea as well, I love baking my own bread, any ideas of how to cram more into it? By that I mean, would other nut butters be better. I know obviously look for the jam/jelly that is not loaded with sugar and other crap. Thanks again.

If there's ever a time to eat sugars, it's pre- and/or post-workout. If you have two hours, I would go with a one-scoop protein shake in low fat or almond milk, and a PB+J sandwich or some other similar mix of carbs + fats.

If it's more than three hours I would be erring more towards 1/2 lb of chicken, 1/2 cup (dry) white rice, and some veggies. Followed by a couple granola bars 30 minutes before the gym.

Maybe that's not convenient enough in your situation. My favorite cold lunch is a big sandwich (1/3 lb meat, high fiber bread, many fixins) a piece of fruit, and a Greek yogurt. Then the aforementioned granola bars before lifting.

Methuselah on
  • Options
    FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    Guys. I'm out of shape but I have a few leg days under my belt and I can now calf raise 810lbs 11x after leg pressing it up. Unfortunately my heaviest weight I did multiple leg presses at was 630lbs 6x, but I haven't let myself fail yet either. If I keep this up my calves will be bigger than my thick American thighs so I need to work on that.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    I have begun incorporating finisher sets into my workouts - an isolation exercise doing 40 reps in as few sets as possible. I'm hurting multiple days after my workouts now.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    Hadn't done overhead press for a few months because my temporary gym decided the barbells and racks should be kept under a lower ceiling than the rest of the gym. It all worked out though because I set a rep PR the first time I came back to my university gym with 135x8.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Is there a way I can make money to gym?

Are there sponsors or something? I will 100% quit my job.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    I bonked my head doing pull ups today

poo
  • Options
    if i wanted to do ring pull ups could i just buy any rings and straps and then you can attach them to power cages and stuff?

poo
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Don't use rings unless you'er 100% certain that they're secure. I broke my hand badly making that mistake.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »

There are. You still won't make enough to earn a living from it unless you're in the top 1%. And then it's still a lot less money than you think.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »

There are. You still won't make enough to earn a living from it unless you're in the top 1%. And then it's still a lot less money than you think.

The social media hustle those folks have to do just to make ends meet seems completely exhausting.

@Shazkar Shadowstorm I got a set basically like this and I just tie the straps around the top of my cage, it works fine and the squishy handles are nicer than rings on your hands (I think, because I have baby hands).

• Options
    A TRX like thing for 35 bucks?

I shall buy this right now

I want to do more pull ups

I want to have a monster back if my legs aren't working for now
    But I don't want elbow pain and this would help with doing a million pull ups

poo
  • Options
    Maybe I should look into those. My right elbow plays hell when I do pullups.

• Options
    Yeah I'm fully out of the pullup game due to elbow and forearm pain

• Options
    From what I've read, rotating handles will help prevent elbow pain because it's your wrist not rotating that puts stress on the elbow

poo
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Or....

Just make your wrist rotate.

• Options
    So here's some stuff I'm changing in my program:

*Strict 60 second rest periods, with no rest between exercises. Normally I do 2 minutes and break as long as I want between exercises (around 3-5 minutes). I have to set the whole workout up before hand
    *To keep the rest periods honest, I'm not allowed to turn the fucking goddamn alarm off until the set is finished
    *Each workout is timed overall, and I aim to either beat the time or do more work in the same time. This doesn't mean I do reps ridiculously quickly or anything, it's more a factor of not fucking around and making sure 60 seconds is 60 seconds
    *No distractions. No computer, no phone aside from timer and logging. No music. Just the hated alarm constantly telling me I'm in some kind of danger
    *Rather than ticking off sets in the app, I add them as a go, so it's more like building a wall than checking off boxes. I don't know, seems to feel a little different

Results after the first workout: the weights used are humbling. I felt pretty gassed pretty fast, my hands were shaking and I felt a lot more sore during the sets. After it was finished though, I felt like I could do more, so I think I'll be comfortable adding abs in.

I got 24 sets (6 exercises, 4 x 10) done in 37 minutes, which isn't bad. I imagine it'll be a little slower on leg day. Today was chest and biceps. Next I'll try back and triceps. I missed plenty of reps, but I think I'll keep the weight steady and try and beat the rep count rather than dropping the weight. I have a feeling it'll go up quickly, since my conditioning is bad and I'm coming off a relatively long layoff.

• Options
    Oh, and it was nice to be done really quickly. By the time you get to "fuck, Jesus, this sucks" you're almost done. Doing chest first and biceps second means that it's all downhill after the first 12 sets.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Everything sounds great apart from the lack of music. The battery on my shitty bluetooth headphones ran out half way through my work out yesterday. The terrible pop/dance music the gym pumps out everywhere was not good at getting me pumped up to push through difficult reps.

• Options
    I lift at home, so it's not too bad. I don't typically listen to music anyway, more podcasts and the tv. I also obviously wouldn't do the alarm thing at a public gym because everyone would hate me as much as I hate myself. It is effective though, it's like an aural shot of ammonia keeping you angry during your set.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    The music is OK, the real issue is they keep playing the same 10 tracks over and over for years. Yes, I haven't made progress on my bench, you don't have to remind me with musical cues

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Tube wrote: »
    I lift at home, so it's not too bad. I don't typically listen to music anyway, more podcasts and the tv. I also obviously wouldn't do the alarm thing at a public gym because everyone would hate me as much as I hate myself. It is effective though, it's like an aural shot of ammonia keeping you angry during your set.

Is it the same alarm as your morning wake-up? Because that would definitely raise my blood pressure hearing that over and over.

Campy on
  • Options
    yep!

• Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    I pity those poor gym employees, having to listen to the top chart songs over and over again. I find them annoying enough when they leak through my noise cancelling headphones!

A friend recently organised a family spotify account for us to share the cost of, it's so great to listen to decent music again.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    today's lesson in callus maintenance was that you can go too hard with a pumice stone in the shower. Giving myself a blistered palm may have been counterproductive

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    I took a day off Thursday and due to work I wont be able to go in again until Monday morning.

I'm getting antsy and I want to pick things ups.

• Options
    I'm thinking of splitting this up as

1. Legs Shoulders
    2. Back Triceps
    3. Chest Biceps

And then repeating six days a week. I feel like that's easier for me to get to be routine right now. What do y'all think, should I do it as straight bodybuilding six days a week or do three bb and three strength? Hypertrophy is still the primary goal, so strength training would have to feed that goal rather than detract from it.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    If you're dead set on six days a week, just stick to one goal, which sounds like hypertrophy.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    I'm going to try six for maybe four weeks, because I need to get some good habits going again. When I'm in the groove, I can stick to three or four days but I'm totally out of whack due to how much of my life has been overhauled in the last two months. Don't worry, I'ma try not to fuck myself up.

• Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    So I've been complaining to my gym about their shitty bench press setups which they finally responded to by.... fucking adding three additional cable cross stations. This brings up the total cable cross stations to 6(!).

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options

poo
  • Options
    Tomorrow is legs and I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

Back squats
    RDL
    ???

I only have bars and dumbbells. Ideally I'd hit quads again, but I can't lunge because of my hip problem. Maybe dumbbell split squats or something similar. Another approach I guess would be three antagonistic supersets of hamstring and quads but man run before you can't walk m i rite

• Options
    You could try partial ROM on the squat. Hit full depth, hit just above parallel, back to bottom and up for 1.

Easy on a bear squat, more challenging with barbell.

• Options
    I am not eating enough, even if I'm not using my legs much

My upper body still needs more fuel

poo
  • Options
    AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    This year for me has been all about slowly grinding away, I bulked up to 181lbs (which felt like a lot on my 5'7 frame) last December and then was able cut down to 167 by April and from there did a slow, very slow bulk to 175 which is where I've been for the better part of two months, with some minor four lb fluctuations in either direction.

I didn't have any set numbers I wanted to hit in my lifts, but I just wanted to make progress without doing another dirty bulk. The crowning achievement for me and I wish I had vidoe of it, was, was finally crushing a bodyweight overhead press in August.

Was able to do a relatively easy 175lb press at 175lbs bodyweight. I was beyond hyped after that. Currently sitting around 178ish and hoping to hit 185lbs this go around on the press.

All in all my lifts have been steadily improving.

Bench is at 245, hoping to break 250 in the next few weeks.
    Deadlift is 465, hoping to make that 495/500 before end of the year
    Squat is 405 just as of last Thursday, gonna shoot for 415/420 in a few weeks.

I need a good video of my presses, but here are recent videos of deadlift/squat.

Derp, can just link to my Instagram posts of them.

Aretè on
  • Options
    You could try partial ROM on the squat. Hit full depth, hit just above parallel, back to bottom and up for 1.

Thanks, that's a great idea! Maybe I'll throw in a couple of top partials as well if I'm not dead by then. I'll also practise bear squats off the timer and see if I can incorporate those properly next time

• Options
    Tube wrote: »

Thanks, that's a great idea! Maybe I'll throw in a couple of top partials as well if I'm not dead by then. I'll also practise bear squats off the timer and see if I can incorporate those properly next time

I'm not sure how you would manage a bear squat without a machine but the partials will absolutely hit your quads

• Options
    Aretè wrote: »
    This year for me has been all about slowly grinding away, I bulked up to 181lbs (which felt like a lot on my 5'7 frame) last December and then was able cut down to 167 by April and from there did a slow, very slow bulk to 175 which is where I've been for the better part of two months, with some minor four lb fluctuations in either direction.

I didn't have any set numbers I wanted to hit in my lifts, but I just wanted to make progress without doing another dirty bulk. The crowning achievement for me and I wish I had vidoe of it, was, was finally crushing a bodyweight overhead press in August.

Was able to do a relatively easy 175lb press at 175lbs bodyweight. I was beyond hyped after that. Currently sitting around 178ish and hoping to hit 185lbs this go around on the press.

All in all my lifts have been steadily improving.

Bench is at 245, hoping to break 250 in the next few weeks.
    Deadlift is 465, hoping to make that 495/500 before end of the year
    Squat is 405 just as of last Thursday, gonna shoot for 415/420 in a few weeks.

I need a good video of my presses, but here are recent videos of deadlift/squat.

Derp, can just link to my Instagram posts of them.

Nice squat man. You have a 500lb deadlift this year for sure, as long as you allocate enough frequency/volume in that direction. Have you competed yet?

This discussion has been closed.