As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Feel horrible

2»

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    If you're in an at-will state i don't think you have claim one anyway, breaking the law, appearing to break the law, or saying poh-tah-toe when the boss prefers po-tay-toe are all equally valid reasons to get the sack. As long as you don't suspect you were fired for a discrimination-related reason, there's nothing to be had there.

I do get the feeling of wanting to burn your old employer to the ground (legally and metaphorically speaking!), but unless you think it was bigotry or you had a contract it's best to just move on.

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Went in for the UPS thing which was more of an info thing than an interview. Problem was the ad neglected to mention it was seasonal on call work. In addition they said 100-150lb packages were common and I don't think I'd have the energy since I don't eat until after work due to chronic (severe?) IBS.

If you do get hired full time though you get 35/hr so those guys are paid pretty well.

I also went to a job center in a town about 30 miles away. No luck there but they helped me fax my unemployment papers so that's cool.

Going to try some other factories tomorrow.

• Options
    Have a interview for a Corrections Officer position on Monday. If anyone has worked in that field are there any pointers you can give for the interview?

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Be honest and be open to the idea that it might not be a good fit after you've tried it for a while. It's one of those fields where you can be okay with it for a while but suddenly you realize you just can't take it anymore and it at that point it is better for everyone involved to just move on. There is no doubt that corrections is high stress but for some folks in the right situations can also be very rewarding.

Note: the "you" in my post is the general "you". :+1:

• Options
    I've worked with the criminal element for most of my career. I know parts will be a challenge but I think it may be a catalyst I need to figure out more of who I am.

As much as I hated getting fired I knew I was learning nothing new from my last job, personally or professionally.

Question to any LEOs: In my state you are required to pass a course known as POST. It's a multi month long course that costs about $5,500. Is that common in most states? If so, why even get a four year CJ degree like I did?

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »
    I've worked with the criminal element for most of my career. I know parts will be a challenge but I think it may be a catalyst I need to figure out more of who I am.

As much as I hated getting fired I knew I was learning nothing new from my last job, personally or professionally.

Question to any LEOs: In my state you are required to pass a course known as POST. It's a multi month long course that costs about $5,500. Is that common in most states? If so, why even get a four year CJ degree like I did?

POST is just police academy minus the fun. POST certification is common for many law enforcement positions that deal with dangerous situations. I work for a state agency that has POST certified investigators. I however am just a plain civilian without a fun and badge.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    The bachelor's degree is useful because in many places it's a requirement to advance. Even police who go through academy training end out needing to complete one as a requirement for rank promotions.

• Options
    Got a letter regarding my grievance. Pretty much what I expected - ignored my explanation and how they could verify my claim of getting permission. Basically said I didn't need to look at the info so away I go.

On a side note I was told several people were let go recently. The company was pretty well known for rarely firing people so I can't help but wonder if they are under some sort of fraud investigation. Prior to my termination another individual was fired after billing fraudulent appointments for years. Would be just my luck to get hit by a new unspoken zero tolerance policy.

• Options
    Did the CO interview. Went well, I think. However they wanted 12 hour shifts and paid 10.80 an hour. It was explained that the numbers on the Missouri DoC somehow don't relate to individual counties.

Also they don't pay overtime on the weeks you do 48 hours (every other week). It sucks, I was expecting so much more from what I researched.

I've applied to a local factory. Supposedly it pays 13/hr and is full time so.. fingers crossed.