As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fighting Games] Turns out character DLC is actually decided by junk food execs

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    it is a pretty good game

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    I think I found the inspiration for Iori's design. Vice and Mature too.

The Orochi League :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnjLlDY_xww

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Japan thinks Capcom has moved on from, uh, borrowing SNK designs to drawing from multiple sources.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    Combining two great things and making something not quite good as either!

• Options
    edited February 2017
    They always do. They have so many rules of thumb and sources to copy for inspiration.

Urien and Bison (Dictator) are variants of HnK's Souther.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6IAYn-UlZk

Add that Kolin has Leiji Matsumoto vibe too.

Another one: Evangelion's Rei -> KoF's Leona -> Hellsing's Victoria

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/jLmqAzIXuKY

I kinda wish Bison could throw cars at people.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    I mentioned Urien and Bison earlier. This is some good stuff from Nemo and his opponent in Topanga.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbUCQxC1PAw

Preview says Momochi but it's Nemo in the title.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Grape Ape is good people

that is all

edit: also 3rd strike is pretty fun to mess around in - also also I wish it wasn't a 6 button game

mysticjuicer on
    narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    I'm still a bit miffed that Haggar was never in a Street Fighter game. He's the main character of Final Fight they put in Guy and Cody so why not? Then again I'm also mad that the rest of the SF1 cast hasn't been seen since either so ya..

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Gen and Birdie at least made it to the Alpha series. Gen shows up in SF4 and Birdie's in SF5.

Sagat is pretty much the only other character with status equal to Ryu or Ken at this point.

Eagle got surprise character status in Capcom vs. SNK 2.

Everyone else is trash. :)

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Page- wrote: »
    Japan thinks Capcom has moved on from, uh, borrowing SNK designs to drawing from multiple sources.

Blonde chicks and Ice powers aren't exactly a new thing to fighting games.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Blonde chicks and Ice powers aren't exactly a new thing to fighting games.

4nsr8h5obg4a.gif

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    Frozen made them a little more popular. Someone is gonna sing 'Let It Go' on twitch when Kolin comes out.

And let's not forget Russia is close to Japan.

Regarding Haggar, screw him. I want Zeku, Guy's sensei.

Ninjas > Wrestlers :P

I need to get a PS4 this year.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    Got my stick and buttons replaced on my old MadCatz SE to use on PC.

Man, transitioning from pad is tough. I can't pull off certain moves on a consistent basis whatsoever.

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular

Man, transitioning from pad is tough. I can't pull off certain moves on a consistent basis whatsoever.

Give it some time. Before long you won't want to play fighters any other way.

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular

A lot of using stick requires that you don't tilt it all the way to the gate. The metal contacts touch the stick block quite a bit before you hit the gate. I keep having to remind myself to make smaller and smaller movements, but I usually give up and go back to hitbox.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    I still have a hell of a time dashing on a stick. My new Qanba has a relatively high sensitivity so it's not as bad, but my TE2 is finicky enough that half of the time I end up awkwardly lurching instead.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Years in the making, we are finally confronted with the inevitable Tekken DLC controversy.

Harada maintained a fervent anti-DLC policy for years, despite the climate. In his words, restricting any character behind a paywall would be like charging $4.99 to have access to your bishops in a game of Chess. They sold costumes and everything else, but never characters. That was something they could foist off to Soulcalibur, Namco's red-headed step-child.

Now, Tekken 7 does have a Season Pass, and that is supposed to include characters in some form, but that's a maybe and something fans could put off. Right now, they're dealing with the Pre-Order bonus of Eliza, the sleepy vampire. Vaguely, the details had claimed she would be exclusive to Pre-Orders for a month after release. Many people then assumed that meant she would be exclusive for that month and then get a regular release to the roster--after all, Tekken has done that before. But further clarification on Steam has now confirmed that she will be Pre-Order exclusive for a month and then will be paid DLC after that. And complete paid DLC, too--you won't be able to try her out in training mode or anything else. This is new and seems to contradict everything Harada has said before.

But he's also been open about why they're doing this Season Pass thing in the first place, and it is clearly borne out by history. In interviews and on Twitter, Harada states that the console budget stretches to the game's release and then a couple of months after while they finalize early DLC. That done, everyone gets moved on to other projects. Echoes of Project Soul through the years, right? If something major appears 6 months in, well, there's nobody left to do anything about it, so it is what it is and that's that. But with a Season Pass, he promises that they can continue to work on the game for at least as long as that, which, he claims, is also what fans want.

Of course, you could as easily say, "Why do you need to keep working on the game after it's been in arcades for more than 2 years? What else is there for you to tweak?" It starts to look like a self-fulfilling makework scheme then: the only characters who should really need extra balancing post-console launch would be the characters who haven't already been through 2 years of intense competitive testing, right? So they release console-exclusive characters and then have to commit to extra dev time so they can release balance patches for those console-exclusive characters.

Another aspect of the affair, as detailed in frank terms by a Tekken staff member, is, and I quote directly: "Cuz people don't preorder if they can get something later. And our subsidiaries need strong preorders to drive sales."

Nobody wants to pre-order, and nobody should have to. But the team is still beholden to the stockholders. This was always going to happen, but that doesn't make it any less awful for everyone involved.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I thought a Season Pass was common knowledge at this point

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I thought a Season Pass was common knowledge at this point

Well, Harada went on display publicly saying he doesn't like the idea years ago.

But honestly its such an industry standard I don't think many people were surprised.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Wait, Tekken 7 isn't on consoles yet? I would have sworn I heard about an arcade version years ago. That makes zero sense.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Tekken has done plenty of DLC before, but this is the first time a full Season Pass has included actual characters. They sell costumes, they sell music, for TTT2 they even did online-access DLC, but never characters. When Harada talks about it, he even directly references other developers to say, "We don't want to do DLC like that."

So, yeah, everyone knew it was coming, but the general climate and attitude and Harada's perceived status did a lot to shelter Tekken fans from reality.

stream
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Some cuteness for your Valentines Day.

In other, less-cute news, Haunts, who was Capcom's esports rep and whatever else the "Director of Digital Media" is supposed to do, just fell off the earth. Deleted his twitter, his reddit account, even his instragram and linkedin accounts are gone. No word yet on why, though he was one of the only people on the SF5 team willing to communicate directly with players, however infrequently that happened. As the person at that forefront, he did get a lot of hate shovelled his way over how the game is going. Maybe he's just taking a break.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    Right, Daigo is back for the Lupe event.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Lupe's party with Kolin gameplay is up.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    She does have not amazing normals though.

I understand that English may not be his first language, but that really hurt my brain to read.

• Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Totally normal fighting game sentence.
    Justin Wong is American.

E: but his first language is fighting games 100%

Grape Ape on
  • Options
    It's because you Yanks never learned what to do with hyphens.

stream
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Stream info for the official King of Fighters tournament this weekend. Whole thing is on Saturday.

ot19p1u5magy.jpg

Of the invited players, Reynald is supposedly not going to make it after missing his flight.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    ahh yes

the 1 am to 5:30 am eastern stream

my favorite

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    does anyone in this thread play MKX?

What's the appropriate way to deal with Scorpion's gimmick where he does that root/grab special from full screen, and then when you start blocking it low he does the overhead special? I basically feel like i can't advance on him.

I'm playing as fireball ermac if that matters. i've tried doing teleports but i think he gets a meaty setup so it doesn't really work that well

• Options
    edited February 2017
    If you can't stay up for KOF, there's Winter Brawl going on this weekend, too.

Anime Ascension, too! So much to watch.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    As you might have expected, SNK made some announcements during their finals.

First, a trailer for upcoming DLC content. This is costumes and stages that include a Classic Iori and remade stages from older games. Also, the stages are free for everyone.

Then, at the end of the trailer, they teased a brand DLC team. Did it Street Fighter 5-style, with the silhouettes, but I think most people can make some educated guesses.

lAjm6gQ.jpg

Full trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IATCR6bTP2M

They then announced expanded support for their esports program. You know, putting money into pots and paying for players to travel. It wasn't specific, only a blanket commitment to support all SNK fighting games across all platforms (PC included). As they're constantly hinting at wanting to continue their other series, who knows. And the PC support might hint at a KOF14 port, but, of course, that's conjecture and wishful thinking.

Winners Finals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8COnWqzk18

Losers Finals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sion3zoMWQc

Grand Finals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1mJMdzGHuA

stream
  • Options
    Bordering on old news now, but someone designed a mod for the PC version of SF5 that completely removes what almost seem to be artificial load times. The difference between PC and PS4 was already glaring, but this is a new level.

stream
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    does anyone in this thread play MKX?

What's the appropriate way to deal with Scorpion's gimmick where he does that root/grab special from full screen, and then when you start blocking it low he does the overhead special? I basically feel like i can't advance on him.

I'm playing as fireball ermac if that matters. i've tried doing teleports but i think he gets a meaty setup so it doesn't really work that well

are you playing online or offline? honestly i didnt get to the the revised netcode. however if i remember correctly most of scorpion's attacks have a relatively long lag time. basically you have to advance slowly, try to force a mistake then punish. ermac may have a bad matchup? tbh i really have no idea about that part.

• Options
    Win or lose, Punk came out this weekend to do some entertaining, and he's more than accomplished that.

stream
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Bordering on old news now, but someone designed a mod for the PC version of SF5 that completely removes what almost seem to be artificial load times. The difference between PC and PS4 was already glaring, but this is a new level.

I would like to see how that mod behaves online.

This discussion has been closed.