As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You'll die again and again, again and again, and so on. Dark Souls

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Three days and roughly 1 million souls later, and I have acquired... around 10 Proofs of a Concord Kept. (yes I'm using coins, mimic hat, and gold ring)

Fuck From Forever for requiring 30 of these things to get a spell, then making a trophy for getting all spells.

I got summoned all of once during this effort so far, which was a hilarious venture where I came around a corner and got completely rekt by some guy with a greatsword. He then tried repeatedly to run and roll past me and failed, being caught between my collapsing corpse and the adjacent corner, at which point the host and his summon totally demolished the guy from behind.

And it got me a Proof.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    If a game isn't fun, stop playing
    Bitching about leisure activities becoming tedious is the most disgustingly first world problems thing

• Options
    Yeah, I know

But I committed to getting the platinum, and already put this time into it, so I want to see it through

I've only ever gotten the platinum for 2 games before, so it's a nod to how much I adore the game overall

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i activated my original character and I think they buffed him

the increase to Lothric's fire sword buff's length is really really helpful and makes that weapon good

• Options
    Randy ButternubbsRandy Butternubbs Registered User regular
    I know the whole meta SL 120 is fairly loose and you can play any way you want really, no longer stressing about souls for leveling after 120 feels incredibly freeing when playing. Making 'item guy' and utilizing all the options they give you along with bows/crossbows along with having an ever growing pool of weapons to choose from is great fun and I always forget how enjoyable it is to not worry about leveling/losing souls/etc so much and just play with all the options at your disposal is in these games.

Still chugging through NG++ with the mage, but having 'item guy' semi-quality build on the side keeps things interesting.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    I know the whole meta SL 120 is fairly loose and you can play any way you want really, no longer stressing about souls for leveling after 120 feels incredibly freeing when playing. Making 'item guy' and utilizing all the options they give you along with bows/crossbows along with having an ever growing pool of weapons to choose from is great fun and I always forget how enjoyable it is to not worry about leveling/losing souls/etc so much and just play with all the options at your disposal is in these games.

Still chugging through NG++ with the mage, but having 'item guy' semi-quality build on the side keeps things interesting.

I'm pretty excited about rolling through the DLC with my fully beefed-up character.

• Options
    Yeah, after hitting 120, I no longer worry at all about souls. It's very liberating.

• Options
    That Reddit group,
    https://m.reddit.com/r/pumparum
    Is very helpful again. A nice person traded me a Cloranthy ring +2 for a bit of mule work.

It's great for chasing hosts!

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    lore thought:

between the backdrop of the NK fight, and the opening cinematic to DS1, it seems like the dragons kind of just ruled over an age of Cloudy Skies as opposed to an age of Dark

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    lore thought:

between the backdrop of the NK fight, and the opening cinematic to DS1, it seems like the dragons kind of just ruled over an age of Cloudy Skies as opposed to an age of Dark

the age of cruel neutrality

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    an age of endless grey with no light or dark.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Yeah the age of the dragons predated the disparity that created light and dark

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    the age of the dragons is ontologically incompatible with the first flame, and so it had to end

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Blades of the Darkmoon finished! Last proof came by way of a summons. I never found the host, the other summoned phantom, or either invader. But the host entered the boss room, so it counts as a win.

Then I did something that was simultaneously heartbreaking and cathartic and brutally slew Yorshka for the chime drop. It's so weird; she's somehow one of the most likable NPCs in the game, but her job is associated with the worst part, and she gives an absolutely invaluable drop.

Regardless, with that done I've now completed all multiplayer elements needed for the spells trophy (Faithful, Blades, Mound-makers). I have 30 Sunlight Medals too, though I haven't reached the turn-in point for those just yet (that's probably next on the agenda). In retrospect I probably should have done Rosaria's to 10 for the Obscuring Ring first, which would have helped with the Mound-makers bit. I'm still going to have to do it regardless for the rings trophy, so uh, I guess actually that's next on the agenda. Back to the Garden, I suppose.

I did rush to the end of the Peak to get the ashes that let you buy advanced materials, though. That way I had something to spend the additional million and a half or so souls that I got grinding out the rest of the Knights. I now have a bunch of +9/+4 weapons and implements, so that's handy. Mostly useless for now since 95% of my attacks are with my +10 pyromancy flame, but that thing's going to eventually fade in usefulness while my other options start to become more attractive (thanks to continuing to increase my spellcasting stats).

I think I'll take this build beyond 120. I'm already at 106 or so, and I don't even have 50s in my casting stats yet (due to getting dex to 20, getting a bit of vigor, and attunement to 30). I'd love to hit 60s in casting stats, get a little more vigor, boost endurance a little, and maybe get more attunement. Wouldn't mind more str/dex for these weapons, either. I could easily spend SL160 in levels and not feel like I've wasted a single point.

EDIT: Ah fuck, the Watchdogs 30 gives a ring. There's no way I can get that with a SL106 character, is there. I'm going to have to make a fourth character and run through this game three times to get that ring trophy, aren't I. Dammit.
    EDIT2: Or I can grind ghrus, which appear to have similar drop rates as the silver knights do for proofs, but I guess I can kill more of them faster? Hoo boy.

Fleur de Alys on
  • Options
    ghru have a much higher droprate for wolfgrass than silver knight for concords. shouldn't take you too long

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    lore thought:

Isn't it called the Age of Ancients

• Options
    There's very little need to take your INT or FAI over 40 if you're staying a pyro, @the sauce

• Options
    The character concept was "do all the spells," sensible since I have to get them all anyway to get the trophy. Pyro was the obvious best option to use up to 40/40. Even up to 50/50, it seems. Once I pass 50 (and get the final sorcery scroll from the Archives) I can switch to sorceries and miracles with one or two pyro spells here or there to round out things / hit enemy weaknesses.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    The problem with using a pyro for a sorcerer/miracles caster is the other two scale far more from 40 to 60 in damage with the right casting tools. As a compromise consider 45/45 as those are the cutoffs for dark sorceries/pyros/miracles.

There's always respecing

Naphtali on
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    ghru have a much higher droprate for wolfgrass than silver knight for concords. shouldn't take you too long

Took me 480 kills over 2 hours with 450 item discovery for the wolf grass.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    NPC is begging to die.... I kill him.... he asks why I killed him.... sigh. I shouldn't have done that -.-

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    he wants to die, not be killed. these are different things.

• Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    When you're sick of invaders and your group is bad at pvp

https://www.twitch.tv/draconic6/v/79522021

I'm the phantom that's not this streamer.

• Options
    Git gud or git rekt

• Options
    i've started playing dark souls 1 for the first time

beat taurus demon by getting knocked off the side, and then taurus demon jumped after me

welcome to dark souls

• Options
    getting the taurus demon to jump is good luck for the campaign

• Options
    sen's fortress can go die in a fire as far as I'm concerned

• Options
    I wish I had invaded enough in ds1 to git gud at it

Sen's funhouse would be even more fun that Wolnir wacky tunnels!

• Options
    if the first Sens bonfire were like... two rooms closer, that might have been my favorite area in the entire franchise

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Jasconius wrote: »
    if the first Sens bonfire were like... two rooms closer, that might have been my favorite area in the entire franchise

once I got to the roof, with no estus, and saw the giant throwing exploding pots I had to stop and google where the bonfire was, spoilers be damned. I was beyond frustrated at that point. at least other than that the rooftop was far easier than getting to that point in sen's.

while I'm liking DS1, I am so glad I did not play this first. I would not have stuck with it.

for more elaboration
    area design - having everything interwoven is neat. but I feel like there's a lot of negative space (huge areas that aren't used for much) in certain areas are a result of that. maybe the post-fast travel areas are different, I don't know. that said, being able to go multiple directions if you know it all at the start seems nice but I don't know if I'll replay this enough to appreciate that facet.
    bosses - not knowing their immunities/weaknesses, everything post capra (exception being moonlight butterfly, but I did darkroot garden/basin late I guess, right after I opened sen's) has felt like HP sponges. none particularly difficult, but the fights all took forever (and that's probably also my fault not focusing on one weapon and upgrading it accordingly).
    vendors everywhere - i really prefer the hub area design, having to remember which dude sells which stuff and exploring back to them is rough. especially when you're in blighttown and realizing you have no toxin cure and having to travel all the way back up to the aqueduct vendor. I should have made an effort to stock up on resins as well, it probably would have helped with the boss issue, but once I was all the way down at quelaag's domain I wasn't going to trek back until she was dead, no matter how long it took. not that I remembered which vendors sold what for resins (of course there's wikis)

Naphtali on
  • Options
    Naphtali wrote: »

once I got to the roof, with no estus, and saw the giant throwing exploding pots I had to stop and google where the bonfire was, spoilers be damned. I was beyond frustrated at that point. at least other than that the rooftop was far easier than getting to that point in sen's.

while I'm liking DS1, I am so glad I did not play this first. I would not have stuck with it.

pretty much the same on all accounts, including the google timing

DS1 is interesting but the ways it is hard are way more frustrating and non-fun to me than DS2 or Bloodborne

• Options
    OTOH, DS1 invasions are wacky and completely off base. Is there any attempt at matchmaking or can you just show up with fully upgraded weapons and bass cannon people? 3 out of the 4 invasions I've had came in and 2-3 shot me (and this was when I was over 35 vit), whereas I did chip damage to them. And one teleported behind me and one shot backstabbed me at 1100+ hp. Oh well, what can you do right? :rotate:

The one outstanding invader invaded me in blighttown right when I had cleared up to the first branching part. I immediately started backtracking. We engaged before the bridge back to the ladders to the depths. A crazy-ass Xanthous Crown wearing, dual shield-wielding dude, just trying to shove me off with his high poise and two-handing their great shield. I couldn't break his guard and couldn't get around to backstab them. I finally decided to go for a gambit and leaped down to the lower section below.

They missed the jump.

• Options
    what version are you playing? Im on PC and i never get invaders and it seems half the time the servers are actually just down

• Options
    what version are you playing? Im on PC and i never get invaders and it seems half the time the servers are actually just down

PC (Steam). The servers were down for a while this year, they brought them back up recently.

• Options
    Twink invaders were definitely a thing

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    DS1 matchmaking is based on respective soul levels, it doesn't factor in any weapons, armor and spells

Most low-level invaders are unfortunately people who hack in gear and go to town

I think they also never introduced a sanity check to compare a character's stats against their soul level? That only became a thing in DS2

Platy on
  • Options
    DS1 matchmaking is based on respective soul levels, it doesn't factor in any weapons, armor and spells

Most low-level invaders are unfortunately people who hack in gear and go to town

I think they also never introduced a sanity check to compare a character's stats against their soul level? That only became a thing in DS2

there's a pvp watchdog mod or something right? I guess I should look into that. I haven't been staying unhollowed much, just when I kindle a bonfire in a tough area.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    There's also a ton of people who can legit beat the whole game at level 1, and just upgrade their gear and are legit non hackers.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    There's also a ton of people who can legit beat the whole game at level 1, and just upgrade their gear and are legit non hackers.

There's only one i'd have considered hacking, since I was hitting them and staggering them with R1 and suddenly poof behind backstab dead (or an incredible lag spike on my side). I completely understand and believe people can beat the game at SL1 when they know it front to back.

Naphtali on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Dark Souls 2 will forever be the hardest Souls game in my mind

Because of how much I fuckin' hated agility, mostly

Yeah Sen's Fortress was stressful but you know what's even more stressful? Every single time I had to chug an estus flask during a fight in DS2

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
This discussion has been closed.